HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 1:07 AM

I hope the entire project is killed and that the SOM Rockfeller proposal is built. Guess we'll find out Sep. 30.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:57 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I hope the entire project is killed and that the SOM Rockfeller proposal is built. Guess we'll find out Sep. 30.
That won't happen since they're already building the transit terminal designed with the current tower. If the demand for office space is good, the tower will be built; if not, nothing will go up.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
That won't happen since they're already building the transit terminal designed with the current tower. If the demand for office space is good, the tower will be built; if not, nothing will go up.
This is an interesting perdicament. Hines won the competition to design the Tower and Terminal. If the Tower does not get built, no money goes to build the Terminal. So basically, worst case scenerio is that the Tower does not get built and you have a hole in the ground where the Terminal should be.

Probably won't happen as the City would not allow the rebuild of the Terminal to be cancelled but there would be a delay.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 2:29 PM

The crown gets a slit!

Some other nice tweaks...the funicular is back (but we knew that) and new public lobby in the tower with express elevator to the fifth floor to access the public park on the terminal roof. Fifth floor of the tower will also have retail opening onto a deck connecting to the park.

No specific word on what's going with the funding situation, but Hines says it's "comfortable with where we are" in terms of finalizing the parcel purchase.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...al-3888331.php

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
The crown gets a slit!

Some other nice tweaks...the funicular is back (but we knew that) and new public lobby in the tower with express elevator to the fifth floor to access the public park on the terminal roof. Fifth floor of the tower will also have retail opening onto a deck connecting to the park.

No specific word on what's going with the funding situation, but Hines says it's "comfortable with where we are" in terms of finalizing the parcel purchase.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...al-3888331.php
The quote from Hines is the best news we have heard in months

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:49 PM

Wow it keeps getting worse and worse.. what a joke!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 4:03 PM

It doesn't look too bad. I like that the tower seems to have gotten slightly skinnier, with a somewhat pointier top, and it does look more distinctive now...though I'm not sure yet if I actually like the slit. I also like that there's going to be retail facing the rooftop park, and of course that fact that Hines seems ok without MetLife involved.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 6:12 PM

Here's another render from that SF gate article, showing how the slits down the sides of the crown would be lit up at night:

I wish they had released some bigger/better renders for this.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:13 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I like the new crown much more than the old one, and I'm glad it will be lit at night.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I like the new crown much more than the old one, and I'm glad it will be lit at night.
I also like the slits as well... it does give it a bit more personality and like someone else mentioned I think Tower looks like it has a much more slender profile which I prefer to the previous 1,070 foot render

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:14 PM

I'm now convinced that the architects and developers secretly despise this city and this is their cruel joke upon it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:33 PM

Hopefully people will call it the Transbay Tuning Fork.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:57 PM

It seems to me that the prevailing opinion among the haters on socketsite and SFgate so far is:

"LOL big penis!1! And now the slit makes it even more penis-like LOLOLOL PENIS PENIS PENIS"

It's kind of annoying. Do these people see giant dicks whenever they look at a skyscraper? I can see some reasons to be disappointed with the tower (and even more to be happy about it), but the design looking too much like a dick isn't one of them. The slits make it look less like a dick, if anything...how many dicks are there with a giant slit going down all four sides?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
It seems to me that the prevailing opinion among the haters on socketsite and SFgate so far is:

"LOL big penis!1! And now the slit makes it even more penis-like LOLOLOL PENIS PENIS PENIS"

It's kind of annoying. Do these people see giant dicks whenever they look at a skyscraper? I can see some reasons to be disappointed with the tower (and even more to be happy about it), but the design looking too much like a dick isn't one of them. The slits make it look less like a dick, if anything...how many dicks are there with a giant slit going down all four sides?
Exactly Tech... my sentiments completely. I think St. Mary's Axe and Torre Agbar look more like penises, but both of those towers are revered in their cities and amonst other skyscraper enthusiasts. If they can somehow incorporate different lighting schemes within the 4 quadrants of the crown it could be pretty fantastic looking during the night.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Yes SFGate commenters are quite puerile but this really really really looks like a penis, and I love skyscrapers. What a scar.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
this really really really looks like a penis, and I love skyscrapers. What a scar.
I'd have to disagree. What penises have you seen in your life that look like that?

A giant, metallic, light-up dick, with four huge slits running down the top? Is this the dick of a giant robot after having an accident with a giant garbage disposal? It doesn't remind me of any other possible dicks.

It vaguely resembles a dick in the same way that almost any other skyscraper vaguely resembles one, if that's what you're trying to see. And if that's supposed to look so much like a dick, than you might as well say everything that's long and skinny looks like a dick.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:26 AM

Quote:
I'd have to disagree. What penises have you seen in your life that look like that?

A giant, metallic, light-up dick, with four huge slits running down the top? Is this the dick of a giant robot after having an accident with a giant garbage disposal? It doesn't remind me of any other possible dicks.

It vaguely resembles a dick in the same way that almost any other skyscraper vaguely resembles one, if that's what you're trying to see. And if that's supposed to look so much like a dick, than you might as well say everything that's long and skinny looks like a dick.
Then it just looks silly, how's that.

By far the worst of the 3 proposals. The original 1200' obelisk actually looked decent. Now it's been hacked and circumcised and mutilated down to a goofy unoriginal stale overpriced soulless replica of something much greater cities have built decades ago. Perfect for 21st century San Francisco!

If I hath offended the delicate San Franciscan, then, too bad :p

From this:

To this:

Photo credit: SFgate

Last edited by mt_climber13; Sep 25, 2012 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Yes SFGate commenters are quite puerile but this really really really looks like a penis, and I love skyscrapers. What a scar.
I must have a subconscious love of penis (maybe my own?), cuz this design looks great to me. Sure, SOM was my first choice, but this one was a close 2nd. Opinions are great aren't they?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:43 AM

Even if it does look like a penis, I think a giant penis tower in SOMA is TOTALLY appropriate. Go us!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I wish they had released some bigger/better renders for this.

Here's something...

Need better renders though.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture