HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:33 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Ponyboy's Random Adventure Photos!

Wow.. I never really noticed how gnarly the front entrance of the museum actually was during the day. It looks like an angry serpent.

This building exceeds just about anything we have in the city. All the curves and none of the alimony payments.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:51 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Marion Hall, Ottawa University

Proof that round glass exists, Ottawa University

Nature meets city, on Blvd Montclair under Hwy 50.

235 Cooper st.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:54 AM

'Shhhh....round glass is not available in Ottawa....' - Neil Malhotra, Vice President of Claridge Homes, 2021

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 3:55 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I was walking through the market a short while back and was walking along Cumberland approaching the Andaz. It was a beautiful day and my wallet was burning a hole in my pocket. So I figured I would give the rooftop patio a try.

The sun glare and my cellphone camera does not do justice to how sweet this view is.

I thought this was a pretty interesting angle. I'd like to come back to this exact spot in 15 years and see how filled out this gap will be.

I have a bit of a new found respect for the Andaz. Is there another outdoor patio in the city like this? I suppose some of the downtown Hotels have a spot on the roof but to my knowledge they are all enclosed.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 4:10 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Going through my phone I realized I had a session in the winter I never posted here.

Ottawa at night in the winter sure can look pretty when it wants to.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 4:23 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I would be lying if I said one of my favorite things to do wasn't to stuff a couple road pops in my backpack and walk around for hours with my Ipod and explore the city. I've found new places that were right in front of my face the entire time but I was always driving or otherwise busy. You need the childlike curiosity to overturn the rocks and examine all the little bugs that skitter away.

This building here gave me the most Manhattan vibes. I never really stopped to give it a good look before. I really dig it.

Pretty sure they did a bunch of brick restoration on this building in the last year or two. Now if they could just sort out the windows. Ottawa does not have an abundance of buildings like this on our walkable commercial streets. We need to preserve them at all costs.

I'm a sucker for symmetry and Art Deco. What can I say?

Sometimes those clouds just hit perfectly

Gatineau skyline looking pretty minty from this angle. I shot this from the boardwalk Quay on Rue Jacques-Cartier. Very nice area and if you keep walking east.. just when you think the paved path is about to end you will be rewarded with a food truck. I was gambling on that one but kept walking... It's Quebec after all.. how far can you really walk before you find a chip truck?

Last edited by ponyboycurtis; Jul 11, 2022 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:07 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I would be lying if I said one of my favorite things to do wasn't to stuff a couple road pops in my backpack and walk around for hours with my Ipod and explore the city. I've found new places that were right in front of my face the entire time but I was always driving or otherwise busy. You need the childlike curiosity to overturn the rocks and examine all the little bugs that skitter away.

Gatineau skyline looking pretty minty from this angle. I shot this from the boardwalk Quay on Rue Jacques-Cartier. Very nice area and if you keep walking east.. just when you think the paved path is about to end you will be rewarded with a food truck. I was gambling on that one but kept walking... It's Quebec after all.. how far can you really walk before you find a chip truck?
Gorgeous shots!!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 3:37 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I had some serious Rocket popsicle on my mind when I saw this lighting.

These things are neat.. they painted the frames a short while ago. The lights also turn on and off as you go through.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 2:27 PM

Interesting that they change the art piece along Ogilvy Square every few years (?), months (?).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:44 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Since they built the Dale this is definitely one of my favorite angles of the city. With more to come! There are 4 cranes in this photo. Can anyone help me with the crane on the far right? Dale 2 is obviously right next to it but I'm drawing a blank on the far right.

I almost felt European for a moment.

She might not be the prettiest bridge in the world but she's mine.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:46 PM

Love that first photo. If I didn't know any better, I'd think it's the downtown of a city of half a million. Thanks for posting!

Not sure what that crane is. Once someone confirms, it will probably be obvious. We have a few 3-4 floor buildings u/c in Mechanicsville, but those would not require a crane.

Oh!! The District Energy Plant at Tunney's maybe?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:34 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Love that first photo. If I didn't know any better, I'd think it's the downtown of a city of half a million. Thanks for posting!

Not sure what that crane is. Once someone confirms, it will probably be obvious. We have a few 3-4 floor buildings u/c in Mechanicsville, but those would not require a crane.

Oh!! The District Energy Plant at Tunney's maybe?
That actually sounds correct now that you mention it. I had no idea what that short crane was at Tunneys while passing through there and it never occured to me.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 1:59 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Always a pleasure to sit here.

I was thinking, aside from the large fountain at Gardens du Provence(I think that's what it's called)... What other large fountains are there in the city? I was and still am drawing a blank. I could look it up.. but that doesn't exactly foster discussion.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 2:53 PM

Other than Garden of the Provinces (is there still water?) and this one you posted in Strathcona Park, we have the Colonel By Fountain in Confederation Park, which has quite an interesting history; it was once at Trafalgar Square with its twin, now in Wascana Park in Regina, Saskatchewan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Park

City Hall has a fountain as well.

Ottawa City Hall 2 by Asistente Viajero 1, on Flickr

Lansdowne Park also has something, but I'm not sure I would consider it a "fountain".

I'm having trouble thinking of others. The ones at William and Rideau were removed as part of the rebuild.

We have a serious lack of water features in Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 5:46 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Thanks J.OT13. Col. By fountain definitely lacks the panache of Strathcona.

I will refrain from making BoC one of favorite buildings in Ottawa additions but I need to add this here.

I never get tired of seeing these buttresses. Super cool patina as well.

More cool geometry. This building is pretty reminiscent of Minto place and the Canada tax building. I like those triangular insets. Anyhow... focus here is actually the buttresses.

Materials and colors here ... I'm salivating... I should get that racoon bite looked at.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:02 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I forgot this one.

More cranes than a bird sanctuary.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Thanks J.OT13. Col. By fountain definitely lacks the panache of Strathcona.
Here's a better picture of the Colonel By Fountain I posted on the Ottawa Photo thread.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/photo-gall...2022-1.6052531

Still no Strathcona, but certainly nicer with running water, and at night! I wish they would have built a nicer base, maybe something more historically accurate.

Might this be it?

https://londontraveller.org/2013/07/...falgar-square/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 2:19 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I haven't seen those lights on the front of Performance Court for a while.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:53 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I was filming my new rap video on the roof of the parking garage on George st. so I thought I would snap some pics.

Earlier in the evening I cut through the market area.

I don't recall the last time I went through the Jean D'Arc courtyard if ever. I'm not sure how that is even possible but here it is. Sitting on the bench in the middle reminded me of my trip to Germany.

This is from a few weeks ago. As cool as the Parliament light show is... The test pattern is way cooler.

Also from a couple weeks ago. Pretty sure this was during pride week. I always look forward to seeing what the NAC screen will have to display. That was a great upgrade and I don't feel like it intrudes on the War Memorial or Lord Elgin hotel. The graphics are slow moving and often have a social undertone. Worst case scenario they advertise for themselves.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 8:22 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I'm happy to see you too Mr. Utility box!

I don't know exactly what this place is but I sure wish the patio was open so I could part ways with my money.

My attempt at composition.

Sunday walk through Hull with a couple drinkeypoos was on point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos