HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 2:38 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2015 Christmas in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a quaint little town of narrow cobblestone streets and many day trippers. It has a long history going back to medieval times, with the Hapsburgs designating it as a free imperial city in the 13th century. Getting here by train is by no means easy, requiring 2 changes along the way. The train station is near the old town, which still has its defensive walls intact.

Although it is possible to visit this town in a day, I wanted to experience the local Christmas market as well, so opted to stay for the night. The crowds did not dissipate at sunset either. They were after the market as well.

City Hall has a small observation deck that offers a great view of the town. Space is limited so there is a maximum number of people who can visit at the same time. I rushed to be the first group to head up after their lunch break.

There weren't many people exploring streets at random like I was.

After visiting Nuremberg, Munich, and Regensburg's Christmas markets, this one looked a bit similar. But the atmosphere is just as lively and since the town squares are smaller, it felt a bit more cozy.

These schneeball arrangements are eye-catching and ingenious from a marketing standpoint.

This particular store was featured in my guidebook selling all sorts of meat products. The curry bradwurst here was a wonderful breakfast.

The Burggarten now offers a good free view of the fortifications and natural setting. The Tauber flows and snakes around below.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/rothenburg.htm

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:57 PM
Hong Kong

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 3:23 PM
Hong Kong

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos