HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 3:03 AM

In Québec City, Le Phare, 65fl. will start in 2017.

I'm optimistic, but it's so huge for our city, that I will believe it when I'll see it.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 4:37 AM

Spadina extension *finally* opens. First subway extension since 2002.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 8:37 AM
See ya down under, mates

10 minute interval seabus sailings have been promised for at least 10 years in North Vancouver. In 2017 it might actually get funding, but no one will believe it until we see it.

Also some major Highway 1 renovations and interchange construction should get underway. That's at least 20 years too late.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 1:10 PM
BANNED

A divergence will emerge between those that actually have an interest in politics and those that shouldn't be allowed to vote. The left will start to tear itself apart before reforming as a much more sober movement. Politics extremism will span the globe. China will start to slide into the ocean. Canadian housing market will start to soften. Artificial intelligence technology will cause a great panic, as people start to appreciate our economic system is starting to unravel.
By years end trump will be targeting technology as a threat to global security, 2018 will have trump going to a pr war against Silicon Valley.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 4:21 PM

Construction on the office tower on the right will get underway, along with the hotel/condo on the left currently being excavated:

Source

Next door, the Remai Modern will finally open to the public:

Source

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 4:22 PM
Ham-burgher

In Hamilton, aside from continuation of downtown's slow steady evolution (which hopefully includes the start of construction of several new towers in 2017) a resolution and plan for the Stelco/US Steel plants and lands would be the biggest thing for the city in a long time.

There are 328 hectares of property in a prime location on the harbourfront, well served by road, rail, and marine transport. A portion of it will likely remain used by the steel industry, but the rest represents a large opportunity for the city's economy. And it will also present huge costs for cleanup, after more than a century of steel production and who knows what contamination that occurred during landfill of the bay (the latest deal being discussed has the province assuming those costs)

Source

Source

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 5:08 PM

Waterloo LRT will open!

Maybe Canada's first supertall starts? (One Bloor West)

DRL finishes initial design and begins TPAP process

Significant increases in GO service, with some form of all day service being active on 5 different lines by year end.
Lakeshore East -weekend, evening, mid-day
Lakeshore West - weekend, evening, mid-day
Stouffville - Mid-day, Evening
Barrie - weekend
Kitchener - Weekend, evening, mid-day

A significant amount of new streetcars are delivered, allowing them to be fairly common in day to day life in the city.

Another banner year for bike lane installations

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 9:29 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Well, you'll always be 46th in our hearts!

Trump will be the most popular president in US history, and Justin will start to mimic his mannerisms and policies in a desperate effort to cash in.
His first presidential US tour will be of a huge success but, ticket sales will fall flat by his 5th tour come April. Shortly after, Rex Tillerson will destroy the world.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 5:36 AM

Trudeau's honeymoon will begin to wane as the economy slows.
Vancouver's house prices will collapse but Chrusty will still get re-elected.
Toronto's housing boom will flat line.
Oil prices will recover to and stabilize at around $55 to $60 due to Venezuela's official bankruptcy and complete inability to export anything.
Tories will elect a new leader from Ontario.
Trump will bring in tarriffs from China and demand a renegotiation of NAFTA.
None of Toronto's super-talls will begin construction.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 4:40 PM

Ottawa will host the Grey Cup and the Winter Classic hockey game at Lansdowne between the Sens and Habs on the exact day of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the NHL and a new Stanley Cup monument will be unveiled (at the same time) within metres of where Lord Stanley first presented it in 1892 just off Confederation Square. Unlike Toronto in 2016, there will be a lot of buzz surrounding all of this. Grey Cup tickets already purchased. Check.

I know there will be a lot going on in Ottawa next year starting with a big New Years Eve party on Parliament Hill.

We have already heard that hotel accommodation is pretty well sold out for July and August. A great opportunity for Airbnb.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 5:29 AM

I suspect Trump will actually become quite unpopular by the end of 2017 but for a very different reason than what others think. I think the realities of office will require him to moderate his views which will piss off his alt-right base.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:37 PM

The eastern leg of the Regina Bypass opens
Express bus service to the south east begins along Arcola Avenue
Wastewater treatment plant opens
New bus maintenance facility starts constriction

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 12:56 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I suspect Trump will actually become quite unpopular by the end of 2017 but for a very different reason than what others think. I think the realities of office will require him to moderate his views which will piss off his alt-right base.
That will allow a lot of unpopular Republican policies to come through though which will hurt the average American quite a bit, so there's no redeeming factor.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 3:03 PM

I guess that for Montreal it's pretty obvious that the celebrations for the 375th birthday foundation of the city will be the big thing in 2017. Some highlights include the illumination of the Jacques-Cartier bridge by Moment Factory, multiple new redesigned squares and streets, from the big entrance that will become the Bonaventure to the smaller ones like the new Place Vauquelin beside City Hall. Also, the on-going construction of the Champlain Bridge that will slowly appear over the St-Lawrence river and a few architectural promising projects like the NFB HQ at Place des Festivals... Exciting year for the city, for sure.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I guess that for Montreal it's pretty obvious that the celebrations for the 375th birthday foundation of the city will be the big thing in 2017. Some highlights include the illumination of the Jacques-Cartier bridge by Moment Factory, multiple new redesigned squares and streets, from the big entrance that will become the Bonaventure to the smaller ones like the new Place Vauquelin beside City Hall. Also, the on-going construction of the Champlain Bridge that will slowly appear over the St-Lawrence river and a few architectural promising projects like the NFB HQ at Place des Festivals... Exciting year for the city, for sure.
I was with one of my best friends in Montreal over the holidays. He follows urban and civic affairs there quite closely and is very afraid that with the city one big construction zone and a sea of orange cones, that the 375th will turn out to be fiasco.

I am not sure... one thing Montreal does better than most is throw big parties.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was with one of my best friends in Montreal over the holidays. He follows urban and civic affairs there quite closely and is very afraid that with the city one big construction zone and a sea of orange cones, that the 375th will turn out to be fiasco.

To the point of building them around rather obscure milestones (375 years? Really? When did that become significant?). It highlights the economic importance of such events. I doubt very much whether there will be a "fiasco".

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I'm not sure how one would objectively, even after the fact, decide that it's a success or not. The celebrations include dozen of big events, some of them will be permanent (like the illumination of the bridge, the refurbishing of the public realms) and they will be going on for several months. This is not a celebration tha will last a week or two and of which you can calculate attendance like the Olympics. So what would be the criteria to assess a succes versus a fiasco? some events will be more popular than others, sure, but all of them? True, some large projects will likely not be ready next summer (like the covering of the Ville-Marie expressway or the new Viger Square), but nobody expect the city to be completely without some constructions just so that it can look pristine for parties.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 3:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
To the point of building them around rather obscure milestones (375 years? Really? When did that become significant?). It highlights the economic importance of such events. .
I agree, but party people and party places always seem to find reasons or excuses to throw a party. Which kinda proves the point, doesn't it?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 9:40 PM

Saskatoon will finally start seeing construction downtown as they start building the River Landing hotel. The university will also finalize it's plans for the new hockey arena at College Quarter. If we're lucky, the City Centre tower project is revived and not downscaled to a ridiculous degree.

The potholes on the residential streets will remain, however.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 3:22 AM

if you're headed to new york the 2nd avenue subway line opens its first phase.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada