HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:53 AM
Londoner

Rogers chasing radio station

Rogers seeks to buy BOB-FM

Rogers Broadcasting Ltd. has long coveted a radio station in London and now it is close to getting one.

With a growing radio market to spur them on, Rogers has started the process to purchase CHST-FM (BOB-FM), currently owned by CTV Ltd.

Its application is before the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), which regulates broadcasting.

“London . . . has been a strong market for a very long time. It’s been a big market. We look forward to operating a radio station in London,” said Chuck McCoy, the vice-president and general manager for Rogers stations in Toronto and Kitchener. He would add London to his portfolio if Rogers gets the nod from the CRTC.

“We’re certainly hopeful that it will be in our favour.”

McCoy said a ruling could come as early as the end of January. “We hope it’s not too long.”

In 2008, Rogers also applied for a station licence in London. “We didn’t get it, but we were very eager and anxious at that time to have a station in London.”

In the latest Bureau of Broadcast Measurement radio ratings for London, BOB-FM, at 102.3 on the dial, is third in the local market share — the hours tuned to a station — among listeners 12 years old and up.

It is second in ratings among the 25 to 54 age range, McCoy said.

“They’re a very successful station in the ratings. We’d want to listen carefully to what they were saying because they seem to have put together a pretty good radio station.

He said BOB-FM fits in with the Rogers company and also works well geographically as it already has three stations in close proximity in Kitchener-Waterloo.

McCoy was reluctant to talk about any plans as approval for the purchase hasn’t been received but any changes would be minimal.

“The staff that is currently in place has done a remarkable job with that station. It’s really a powerhouse radio station in the London market. We would not be looking to make very many changes in personnel, format or anything like that. At this time, we have no plans to cut any staff or add to any staff. It’s not even close to being broken.”

CTV declined comment. “The application is currently before the Commission and we will not be making any further comments at this time,” said Andrea Goldstein, the corporate communications director for CTVglobemedia.

McCoy worked in radio in the London area at CHLO-AM in St. Thomas, along with Rogers radio division CEO, Paul Ski, in the late 1960s.

The overall radio market in Canada is on track to grow 4.1% each year to reach $1.7 billion in 2014 after losing some ground in 2009, according to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers.

“(Radio) is doing extraordinarily well — 95% of the population in the country turns the radio on every week,” McCoy said.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 6:03 AM

London radio is something I have always a had major problem with. Almost every station I listen to is out of town because of the genres.

I'm a pop music fan, top 40 etc fan as well, and Fresh FM sucks to me because it always played lame songs from 4-5 years ago that were overplayed then, and still aren't fun.

Usually tried to pick up Star 104 (103.7) in Erie, PA - but lately when I'm London, I'm listening to the Beat 91.5 instead. Seemed like they're aware they get a significant share from London due to the last time I was there quite a few commercials were from London and they mentioned/recognized London in their news and stuff too.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 12:57 PM

And the modernist people have the nerve to say radio is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
London radio is something I have always a had major problem with. Almost every station I listen to is out of town because of the genres.

I'm a pop music fan, top 40 etc fan as well, and Fresh FM sucks to me because it always played lame songs from 4-5 years ago that were overplayed then, and still aren't fun.
EZ Rock 97.5 recently changed formats to go after the Fresh FM crowd. I haven't listened to it yet, but I'll let the last 10 songs played speak for themselves.

8:49 AM "BRIAN WILSON" - BARENAKED LADIES
8:41 AM "MONY MONY" - BILLY IDOL
8:38 AM "GIRLFRIEND" - AVRIL LAVIGNE
8:33 AM "DIGGIN' A HOLE" - BIG SUGAR
8:24 AM "STREETCORNER SYMPHONY" - ROB THOMAS
8:21 AM "ONE THING" - FINGER ELEVEN
8:11 AM "HUNG UP" - MADONNA
8:06 AM "EYES OF A STRANGER" - PAYOLA$
8:02 AM "HOLLYWOOD" - MICHAEL BUBLE
7:58 AM "IF YOU COULD ONLY SEE" - TONIC

Also, there is supposed to be another station coming next year, 98.1 Free FM. It is supposed to be an adult album alternative (AAA) format owned by Blackburn Radio. That's the same Blackburn that used to own the Free Press, Radio 98, FM96, and CFPL-TV.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 1:50 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

For me, London radio is pretty terrible. I'll listen to FM 96, but I only really like probably 1 out of every 5 songs, and they play too much of the same old stuff. I don't really listen to the Hawk, because as much as I like dinosaur rock from the 60's and 70's, I've heard the same songs too many times. Bob or EZ Rock never touch my ears.

The best option for me, is CBC radio 2 in the mornings and evenings (they play classical during the day). There's a good mix of rock, pop, Canadian music, and stuff from around the world. I may not know all of it, but at least I haven't heard it a million times. And with no commercials, and annoying "Dingo and the Baby" radio hosts it's a no brainer. The only downside is that there's no local news or content, other than the weather.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London radio is terrible because all radio is terrible. I loathe today's "music" (shit hop and techno crap and boy/girl bands utterly bereft of talent). Oldies stations only recycle the same old 6-7 songs (plus some Bryan adams garbage) ad nauseum. Bob-FM is usually "whatever" rather than "80s/90s".

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:47 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
London radio is terrible because all radio is terrible. I loathe today's "music" (shit hop and techno crap and boy/girl bands utterly bereft of talent). Oldies stations only recycle the same old 6-7 songs (plus some Bryan adams garbage) ad nauseum. Bob-FM is usually "whatever" rather than "80s/90s".
I don't want to get into a huge discussion about what you consider to be "Good Music" but trust me, whatever your into it is still out there somewhere. I agree that it is almost nowhere to be found on mainstream radio, but that doesn't mean you have to be cynical, and say that all of today's music is crap.

There's still plenty of great music being made, and I would argue that with the internet, it's easier to find than ever before. You just have to look a little further than Bob-FM!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
There isn't really a station in London that clearly focuses on Today's music.

Fresh FM says that's what they do, but they play old 90s songs consistently. I emailed them a few years ago telling them they sucked, but they said they're a female demographic station for those 24-39 or something like that.

Surprised with UWO/Fanshawe, there isn't a 15-24 year-old focused station present in London.

91.5 the beat in Kitchener has a 10.2 market share as of this spring, listing it as 2nd in the ratings in Kitchener.

http://www.bbm.ca/_documents/radio_m...dio_report.pdf

According to this, the highest rated station in London was BX93 - Country music, which is definitely the worst type of music on the planet in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
There isn't really a station in London that clearly focuses on Today's music.

Fresh FM says that's what they do, but they play old 90s songs consistently. I emailed them a few years ago telling them they sucked, but they said they're a female demographic station for those 24-39 or something like that.

Surprised with UWO/Fanshawe, there isn't a 15-24 year-old focused station present in London.
You could say 106.9 The X from Fanshawe College tries to fill that hole. My understanding is that the new station on 98.1 is supposed to address it to some extent too.

Quote:
According to this, the highest rated station in London was BX93 - Country music, which is definitely the worst type of music on the planet in my opinion.
They play country music? I thought they were all commercials, all the time.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 2:58 PM

EZ rock 97.5 has now fully rebranded and become Virgin Radio...

http://london.virginradio.ca/

London finally has a top 40 radio station....surprised it took that long after Energy re branded into Fresh FM (StaleFM)

Last edited by go_leafs_go02; Aug 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
EZ rock 97.5 has now fully rebranded and become Virgin Radio...

http://london.virginradio.ca/
Radio for virgins. I guess that means there won't be too many listeners in this city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 9:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^what? In the city of the five-dollar beej?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
You could say 106.9 The X from Fanshawe College tries to fill that hole.
30 or more years ago, "The X" filled an enormous hole. Back then, most London radio was all pop/top 40 or news/talk and almost all on the AM band. The three FM stations were CBC-FM (now CBC 2), CFPL-FM (now FM96), and CIXX (6X). The first two played the FM staple of the day: classical/older adult easy listening (imagine Burt Kamphert's orchestra).

And then this curious little low-power college station came on to the scene (6X) as the third FM station. They played stuff that one typically at the time had to struggle to receive on their radio late on a clear summer night from Detroit (WLLZ (wheels-fm) including a young Howard Stern), or Cleveland (WMMS). What did they play? Hard rock & album rock, which in the day was the cutting edge scene (punk and new wave really hadn't made the scene yet). Suddenly, someone in London could tune into a local station that played what the 16-35 demographic wanted to hear - not Rodger Whittaker, Christopher Cross, or Anne Murray. Instead, 6X gave you Floyd, Zep, and the Stones (which today seems cliche, but then was like floodgates opening). One also got exposure to less well-known but highly respected artists such as King Crimson, Zappa, and Pat Metheny. One was never going to hear Beck, Bogart, & Appice's version of "Superstition" or the Faces "Stay With Me" on commercial radio in southern Ontario other than on 6X.

6X had a very popular show called "album of the day", where they would play an entire album, and follow up with intelligent discussion and analysis of the album. They had no commercials, but rather little "info breaks' where they would tell about the history of an artist or group in 60 seconds. The DJ's were cool because they weren't 40-something men from a prior time pretending to be something they were not. They were 18 to 22 year olds and were part of the scene. I recall a guy who had the 8pm-midnight slot. His catchphrase on a Friday night was "Friday night - party night!". The thing was that on Monday night it was "Monday night - party night!", etc. The party never stopped.

In the end, this little non-profit college station became one of the dominant radio stations in the city. It threatened the biggest station of the day: CJBK. 6X became so popular that a group of commercial stations lead by CJBK and CKSL filed a complaint with the CRTC, asking the commission to shut 6X down, as its growing listenership was so large that it was seriously harming the commercial stations' profitability due to their ratings being killed by 6X.

So, there was a hearing. It was actually broadcast, was contentious, and in the end 6X died that day. The CRTC didn't actually shut 6X down, but ruled that as an educational non-profit taxpayer-subsided station it had overstepped its broadcast license by actively competing with the commercial market (and beating it). Instead, the CRTC ruled that 6X would have to change its format to a mixed bag of formats so that it would not appeal to any one market, and thus would become uninteresting to all and be strictly a training tool for broadcast students.

The dream died that day. 6X was the closest thing I've seen here to being a British "pirate radio" station in this part of the world, and like those outfits saw a meteoric rise, and then rapid demise due to evisceration from corporate mediocrity. It was literally like one of those "rise and fall of" movies.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 3:32 AM

Ironically, I bet "X FM" today gets higher ratings than those AM stations combined.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation