HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 2:08 PM
Vancouver User

Upcoming [Modern] Heritage Tours

There are several heritage tours coming up over the next few weeks focused on mid-century modern Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Heritage Foundation
"Less is More", the phrase coined by the German designer Mies van der Rohe, aptly describes the Modern Movement that was begun in Europe in the 1920's and 1930's. Modernist designs were without historical precedent, they used new materials and technologies, and they conformed to a social ideal.

Vancouver developed an adaptation of the modern aesthetic known as West Coast Regional Style. Local designers used post-and-beam construction, stepped flat roofs with clerestory windows, and wide expanses of glass that integrated the house with the natural setting. The VHF is raising awareness about Vancouver 's acclaimed Modernist architecture of the 1940s through 1970s which at the time established the city's reputation as a centre for progressive design and culture.
Revisiting the Vancouver Special Lecture - Sept 23 @ 7pm

Open House at the Lake Wood Residence (a renovated Van Special) - Sept 27 @ 1-4pm

Downtown Vancouver Modernist Walking Tour - Sept 27 @ 10am-1pm

Residential Bus Tour of 5 Modernist Homes - Oct 4 @ 1-6pm

Prices range from $12 for the Lecture all the way up to $100 for the bus tour.

My wife and I have booked ourselves on the bus tour. It'll include an Erickson & Bing Thom among others.

Anyone else planning to attend anything?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues