HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 6:04 AM
Chaos Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
And the Bauhaus itself:

Revolutionary for many reasons, one of which being it was one of the first buildings to actively engage the the street (in a time when cars were still somewhat rare). The structure spans the road leading to it, which was revolutionary for the time.
I know this may have been somewhat pointed out already.. but maybe that aspect was revolutionary for Germany... but the Municipal building in NY, designed almost 2 decades earlier accomplished the same thing, and at a much larger scale.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 2:16 PM
BANNED

I agree with Arriviste. Bauhaus was a school for contemporany architects, but much equally thing were designed earlier. The fact in Germany and closed in Nazismus time made these people like Gropius, Corbisier, Mies van der Höhe etc. famous, only that. Today many constructions earlier first war is identifyed as Bauhaus in simple manner of building with concrete and glass, but most structure are different styles and belongs to other people. Victor shown here is Art-Deco, also simple, but different. We cannot put all architecture like this to architects of Bauhaus school. Many ones were copied abroad a lot, but I do not reference as Bauhaus as it was not drawn from Bauhaus people, mainly nowadays when afterwords the school was closed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture