HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Palace Hotel Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 10:18 PM

SAN FRANCISCO | Palace Hotel Tower | 669 FT | 60 Floors

The story in today's San Francisco Business Times is unfortunately available online only to subscribers. But may as well post the basics.

This would be a "slender, glass" (surprise!) condo tower by SOM in an alley behind the historic Palace Hotel at Market and New Montgomery streets in
the heart of downtown San Francisco, more or less where the Financial District, Union Square, Yerba Buena and SOMA/"Financial District South" districts
intersect (the tower would be south of Market Street). It would replace a fairly recent but lowrise and nondescript addition to the hotel, and would rise
above the Palace's trademark garden court. Still, the addition has the initial support of San Francisco Heritage, whose director described it as "tall and
elegant ... very much a statement of its time" (are you sure you're a historic preservationist?). Flinty has posted a Live Local aerial of the site in a
Califorum thread:

The site is to the left of the barrel-shaped atrium (the garden court).

The tower would feature 269 units, 111 of them "two bedroom-plus" and three of them 8,000 sq. ft. penthouses on the 58th, 59th and 60th floors. It
would be the tallest residential tower in San Francisco, surpassing the under-construction Millennium Tower at 301 Mission (645') and south tower of
One Rincon Hill (641'), and the fourth-tallest tower in the city, at least until the Transbay towers are built. Applications were filed in late September.
Renderings to follow, hopefully.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 4:52 AM

I guess this the highest condos on the West Coast, assuming the 60 story tower proposed in LA is not taller. This tower will be the first 200+ m skyscraper of San Francisco of the 21st Century, yay.
芝加哥 Chicago: Trump Tower, Waterview Tower

Last edited by AK47KC; Nov 18, 2006 at 8:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 5:22 AM
Green Berniecrat

Huh, I guess this is for real then. I had my doubts and at one point thought I might be seeing things when I saw " 669' (204m) " as the height. Seems like a waste putting it in an alley, but whatever, I'm in no position to complain about something like this

Cant wait to see those renderings!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 8:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence
Huh, I guess this is for real then. I had my doubts and at one point thought I might be seeing things when I saw " 669' (204m) " as the height. Seems like a waste putting it in an alley, but whatever, I'm in no position to complain about something like this

Cant wait to see those renderings!
Land availability being what it is downtown, there have been other "alley" projects. The approx. 50-story "Century" that was briefly under construction before the Board of Supervisors grabbed it by eminent domain because it was thought to be incompatible with the TransBay project was also in an alley between Mission and Howard Streets.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 8:22 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF
Land availability being what it is downtown, there have been other "alley" projects. The approx. 50-story "Century" that was briefly under construction before the Board of Supervisors grabbed it by eminent domain because it was thought to be incompatible with the TransBay project was also in an alley between Mission and Howard Streets.
Yeah, a lack of space is certainly a limiting factor. Perhaps with all the construction going on, maybe some of these alleys will be much improved.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 9:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The building's most famous feature is the skylit garden court, which the architecture guide Splendid Survivors calls "an example of Parisian opulence equal to almost any contemporary space in Paris."
Thought it might be worth a few pics for anybody not familiar with it (I love it so much I used to take my Mom there for lunch whenever she visited):

Last edited by BTinSF; Nov 20, 2006 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 5:47 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

This is absolutely stunning....

So then if I read J Church's brief rundown of the proposal correctly, it would leave intact this Garden Court??

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 6:59 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Would be tallest residential tower west of the Mississippi. I don't think there are any condos with a realistic chance of being built in Vegas that would top this.

LA continues to LAg. The Gehry project looks to be in a bit of trouble, down here in SoCal, might only get 1 really tall one out of this boom cycle. Can you guys spare a tower?

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 7:25 AM
Green Berniecrat

We here in SF have a lot of catching up to do, its been a dry decade, heh. I get the feeling that this wave of highrise boom is just SF clearing its throat. I dont know it it counts as evidence but I, myself, had never heard of this Palace Hotel Tower until today. And if stuff like this can just come out of the air all of a sudden, then maybe there more to come, that is if ol' Sue Hestor does'nt get in the way. We may be able to spare a tower or two once we're done

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 8:01 AM

Nice to see San Francisco getting some new highrises. One of my all time favorite cities!

The Palace Hotel was THE hotel in S.F. a century ago. I would love to see it have such a nice high rise addition.

some pics of the original building('borrowed' from the net)

Exterior view:

Interior view of the glass-covered carriage courtyard:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence
We here in SF have a lot of catching up to do, its been a dry decade, heh. I get the feeling that this wave of highrise boom is just SF clearing its throat. I dont know it it counts as evidence but I, myself, had never heard of this Palace Hotel Tower until today. And if stuff like this can just come out of the air all of a sudden, then maybe there more to come, that is if ol' Sue Hestor does'nt get in the way. We may be able to spare a tower or two once we're done
You hit the point, San Francisco needs a lot more towers that are taller than 200 m; if approved, this tower will be the first step.
芝加哥 Chicago: Trump Tower, Waterview Tower

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 8:09 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47KC
You hit the point, San Francisco needs a lot more towers that are taller than 200 m; if approved, this tower will be the first step.
It also looks like they made it clear they dont mind demolishing relatively new buildings to make way for them as well, which is encouraging news, as there are some buildings in SF I'm sure we all would'nt mind seeing dissapear. I would say SF has probably reached around a 500+' average for building height.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 7:58 AM

L.A. City House would be 750'.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 5:13 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Church
L.A. City House would be 750'.
LA has been all talk and little action for years now. There are so many proposals that have been put out there in the last 5 years and almost none of the tall ones look promising. LA is getting 20-30 story towers, and the 55 st Ritz Carlton, but that is realistically all that is coming. City House is one of the more far-fetched projects, like the Zen tower-nothing ever became of that one.

I will be up in SF for Thanksgiving and can't wait to see all the action up there, reminds me of the early 80's boom up there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 8:11 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark
LA has been all talk and little action for years now. There are so many proposals that have been put out there in the last 5 years and almost none of the tall ones look promising. LA is getting 20-30 story towers, and the 55 st Ritz Carlton, but that is realistically all that is coming. City House is one of the more far-fetched projects, like the Zen tower-nothing ever became of that one.

I will be up in SF for Thanksgiving and can't wait to see all the action up there, reminds me of the early 80's boom up there.

It would seem like an 80's boom revived, but this time, the buildings may end up looking way better and more stylish

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 2:17 AM

is this project for real? currently this parcel is zoned for 300'. for this project to move foward, an environmental impact report will have to be approved from both the planning commission and board of supervisors. in addition, it'll need a height variance from the board of supervisors. unless the project sponsor is promising some sort of community benefit (like affordable housing), i doubt this project will receive the necessary approvals.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 2:45 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Someone in the SF regional thread said this was part of the Yerba Buena redevelopment and would have minimal problems with the zoning.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 3:54 AM
Green Berniecrat

Well, if that is to be the case, then they should strech this one a bit taller. If its as beatiful as they say it will be, then it could do wonders to SF's future skyline.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 4:13 AM

this parcel is not apart of the yerba buena redevelopment area. standard zoning would still apply.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 4:18 AM
Pacific Wonderland

I stand corrected, someone asked if it was part of YB, there was no answer to the question.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals