HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:38 PM

ridiculous decision by Ottawa.

CSA can prevent sanctioning to play in USL if they wish. They're all but for sure to be excluded from the Voyageurs Cup. At decent amount of their fan base say they will not renew seasons tix.

Others agree with the decision for "business" reasons and would be willing to join the CPL after a few years of proving themselves. To hell with that, they want jump on board after the other founding clubs have done all the hard work. And they're trying to play it off like they're the biggest backers of Canadian soccer. Give me a break.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 11:29 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
CSA can prevent sanctioning to play in USL if they wish. They're all but for sure to be excluded from the Voyageurs Cup. At decent amount of their fan base say they will not renew seasons tix.
I know a few who are already giving up STs.

The tricky thing with the CSA preventing sanctioning is that it puts the Canadian MLS clubs in a bit of a sticky situation - they're playing in an American league as well, one that isn't within the Canadian sphere of leagues, and it's certainly something Fury would bring up if CSA tried to sanction them.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 2:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Others agree with the decision for "business" reasons and would be willing to join the CPL after a few years of proving themselves. To hell with that, they want jump on board after the other founding clubs have done all the hard work. And they're trying to play it off like they're the biggest backers of Canadian soccer. Give me a break.
Well, when you consider how many national Canadian soccer leagues have fallen flat and how so many Canadian sports fans need a league to have U.S. teams in it in order for them to pay attention, you can't blame the Ottawa Fury for hedging their bets on the CPL.

And I say this as a person who constantly harps on the lack of all-Canadian --pro sports leagues.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, when you consider how many national Canadian soccer leagues have fallen flat and how so many Canadian sports fans need a league to have U.S. teams in it in order for them to pay attention, you can't blame the Ottawa Fury for hedging their bets on the CPL.

And I say this as a person who constantly harps on the lack of all-Canadian --pro sports leagues.
This has been a sticking point between me and some other people I've spoken to about the CPL. A lot of people are of the mind that an all-Canadian league will get people more invested and therefore Ottawa should switch over, but has that ever been true? Granted that it's another market, but Toronto spurns all-Canadian leagues for MLB/NBA/MLS/hopes of the NFL. Canadians as a whole seem obsessed with American toys. I don't see why suddenly that will change with the CPL.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 9:22 PM

Rumour has it that there is an 8th team (not Ottawa) which will be based in another Ontario city, one that has a workable stadium for 2019 but will need a better stadium in the future. My guess is London or Kitchener.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 9:55 PM

Does anyone know if the fields will be fifa regulation size?
75x116 I think

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 7:03 PM
ハルウララ

State of the League: Clanachan on Ottawa Fury, CPL roster rules and more:
http://canpl.ca/article/state-of-the...rules-and-more

Clanachan:

“At this time, we’ve announced seven teams that are ready to go, and we’re continuing to work with other groups to get to eight. We’ve had huge success with the membership movements created in each of our cities, and on top of that, we’re talking to a number of other regions and potential owners: St. John’s, Newfoundland, Moncton, New Brunswick, Montreal/Laval and Quebec City in Quebec, as well as the ‘Grand River’ region of Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, the Niagara Region, Durham Region – encompassing Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering – as well as Mississauga, who already have a very engaged supporters’ group.

“We’re also having discussions with Regina and Saskatoon in Saskatchewan, as well as Lower Mainland B.C., which is a very active opportunity with interest from Kelowna. And we’ve had interest from Ottawa from multiple parties, which is very important to us. Frankly, we believe that the nation’s capital is a great place for a club, so we’ll be looking at that as well.”

Kits should be unveiled/announced in the next few weeks.

Media acquisition news will be next week with media partner(s) news due for end of year. Looking at a multi-platform strategy (see: streaming).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 9:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's quite a slate of interested cities. If they all were to pan out, the CPL could be twice the size of the CFL........

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 12:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

That's quite a slate of interested cities. If they all were to pan out, the CPL could be twice the size of the CFL........
In number of teams only.

------------------------------

Here's a map showing where applicants are coming from for open team trials:

And a tighter view of North America:

Maps via canpl.ca

http://canpl.ca/video/look-heres-whe...lists-are-from

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:02 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Good representation across Canada, great to see! We're getting some really talented youngsters in our national team, but there's great imbalance between our top players and journeymen. I see us as a soccer superpower in the making...this league will be key to our designs.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
In number of teams only.

------------------------------

Here's a map showing where applicants are coming from for open team trials:

And a tighter view of North America:

Maps via canpl.ca

http://canpl.ca/video/look-heres-whe...lists-are-from
I take it these applications would be for various tiers of soccer in Canada? Or is it specifically for teams at the top of the soccer pyramid...because with all due respect places like Thompson and Norway House would have no hope in attaining a spot in Canada's best soccer league.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I take it these applications would be for various tiers of soccer in Canada? Or is it specifically for teams at the top of the soccer pyramid...because with all due respect places like Thompson and Norway House would have no hope in attaining a spot in Canada's best soccer league.
I think this map shows where different all the different players are from, not individual communities that want a team.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I think this map shows where different all the different players are from, not individual communities that want a team.
Ah, that makes more sense lol.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:34 PM
ハルウララ

Based on the Open Trials in Halifax happening today it looks like Macron will be the league's first kit/apparel supplier.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Based on the Open Trials in Halifax happening today it looks like Macron will be the league's first kit/apparel supplier.
Confirmed.

http://canpl.ca/article/macron-to-be...premier-league

Kits designs will be coming in the next few weeks.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 6:32 PM
ハルウララ

Canadian Premier League acquires Ontario Soccer’s League1 Ontario

The Canadian Premier League is pleased to announce the addition of Ontario Soccer’s League1 Ontario to its operations. The move creates a deeper association between Ontario Soccer and the Canadian Premier League and the new structure of the league puts a focus on young soccer players in the largest provincial soccer association in Canada.

Starting in 2019 this ground-breaking arrangement will allow the Canadian Premier League, in its entirety, to facilitate the continuing development and growth of League1 Ontario. This unique model will become an integral part of the CPL and will provide future opportunities for players who are not quite ready, to further develop their skills and find success in the professional game.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-pr...eague1-ontario

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 11:07 PM

It seems really early for the CPL to be buying another league. I wonder what the endgame is? Will League1 basically be their AHL until they can get pro/reg started?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:37 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
It seems really early for the CPL to be buying another league. I wonder what the endgame is? Will League1 basically be their AHL until they can get pro/reg started?
Basically an official setup to send players to for developmental purposes. Not quite a franchise farm system (AHL) but nearly similar.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 5:08 AM

Quote:
I don't find it ridiculous. As the capital city, Ottawa is always making decisions to suit what's in the best interest of Canada/Canadians instead of thinking about itself. It's refreshing for an Ottawa entity to make the very "un-Canadian" decision of not joining a Canadian league and having its own interests and ambitions.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 4:42 PM
is watching.

The expansion at Westhills Stadium in Langford is supposed to start this coming week - for the Pacific Football club.

We were given a notice from the Juan de Fuca soccer association, which uses the stadium for games, that the expansion will be affecting existing parking. Was there yesterday for one of my kids games and areas to the south have been blocked off by construction fencing - including the parking lot for Rugby Canada.

City employees I talked to say the first phase is to expand the stadium to 5,000 seats. The second phase would be to 8,000 - but unknown when that would start. It look like they will be keeping it simple and costs down - nothing fancy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada