HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 4:31 PM
Exit 298

Say Hello to "the 67."

Well, if we lived in California, we'd now know what to call the Legacy Parkway...

According to UDOT's new map, they label the freeway as SR-67, which would mean we could call it "the 67," if we were to call it similar to how we call the 21st South Freeway "the 201." I think it'll be more like Bangerter. Nobody calls it "the 154."

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:52 AM

More roundabouts for Park City.

I don't know why, but I'm like a kid when it comes to roundabouts. I will drive a specific route just to pass through one. Its great that they're popping up all over the Wasatch Front.

http://www.parkrecord.com/todaysheadlines/ci_6481440

Scott Sine/Park Record
Pedestrian and bicyclist safety at the Bonanza Drive crosswalk near the Rail Trail, seen on Thursday, has worried Parkites for years. The leader of the North of Main district wants City Hall to consider building roundabouts on the road. Rodman Jordan says roundabouts would be safer and reduce congestion.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 10:09 PM
BANNED

How will a round-about make it safer for pedestrians? I thought round-abouts were more dangerous for pedestrians than four-way stops.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:09 PM
Exit 298

The only up-side for pedestrians is that you get "refugage islands" where you can stand safely on a concrete planter box and wait for 45 minutes until somebody from out of state sees you marooned there, and decides to stop and let you finish crossing the street.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 10:54 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
The only up-side for pedestrians is that you get "refugage islands" where you can stand safely on a concrete planter box and wait for 45 minutes until somebody from out of state sees you marooned there, and decides to stop and let you finish crossing the street.
That is so true, that people from Utah do not let people pass nor allow cars to merge into traffic. You can leave your blinker on for 5 minutes until someone nice enough to finally let you in.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 8:58 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Okay, so if they widen Geneva, which is overdue and fix the kinks on State Street, "like that railroad underpass in Pleasant Grove," maybe we will survive. I wouldn't want to commute from say Orem/Provo to the north every day. I remember talk of a commuter rail being up before the I-15 construction. Pretty much like what they're doing with the Ogden to Salt Lake line. Is that still in the works also?
Delts you are right that was the plan with commuter rail and the widening of I-15. In 1998-2000, (i can't remember which year it was exactly) SL, Davis and Weber counties passed the .25 cent sales tax increase to fund Commuter Rail. A very close friend of mine at the time was working with UTA and the State to get those initiatives passed, if my memory serves my correctly Utah County officials voted against even putting the increase on the ballot. Thus why Davis and Weber County are getting their Commuter Rail extension now and Utah County isn't. Had Utah County even placed the intiative on the ballot at that time rather than last fall or the fall prior then Utah County would be getting Commuter Rail at the same time. Had this occured Utah County FrontRunner would closely coincide with the begining of I-15 expansion. Instead they will be stuck in massive cridlock until I-15 and FrontRunner expansion are complete.

Thanks also to Utah County officials, South Salt Lake County has been paying that .25 cent increase for years but will not be receiving Front Runner at the current time.

So for those of you that live in Utah County don't get mad at UTA or UDOT about not receiving Front Runner before I-15 expansion. Sorry!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 11:37 AM

UTA sets tentative 2012 date for Provo-Salt Lake commuter rail

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...199121,00.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 2:58 PM

An interesting update on one of my favorite future options of transportation, (future hopeful owner anyway.)

GM positioning to lead electric car race / Signs battery pact with A123 Systems Inc.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...199772,00.html

The up-and-coming GM VOLT

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 10:19 PM

Testing began this morning on Frontrunner Tracks. I saw one go by while I was stuck in traffic on my way to work this morning. I can't wait for this to be finished.

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1642919

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 11:34 PM

That is very exciting ark. It looks like that station stop is so new they havent even put the lamps on the light posts yet. It won't be long now. I look forward to the day when we have the commuter rail from Ogden or even further north all the way down past Provo.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 11:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

[QUOTE=arkhitektor;3012223]

I saw one go by while I was stuck in traffic on my way to work this morning.

Traffic? Are you in Sandy again? LOL. I'm just kidding.
But no really I can't wait for Front Runnier to open.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Traffic? Are you in Sandy again? LOL. I'm just kidding.
But no really I can't wait for Front Runnier to open.
I stand corrected. The worst traffic in Utah is on I-15 in Davis County.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 1:19 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I stand corrected. The worst traffic in Utah is on I-15 in Davis County.

That I can agree with.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 8:58 AM

I'm with you guys there. I used to live in Ogden and ride an express bus into SLC every day but it wasn't always very express. Frontrunner is a welcome addition for those who have ever had to make that commute.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 11:47 AM

FrontRunner goes for a spin

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_6637213?source=rv

This week the Utah Transit Authority began testing its new FrontRunner commuter rail trains as the agency prepares to open the Weber County to Salt Lake City line. The testing is taking place on a section of track between Pages Lane in Centerville and Old Mill in Kaysville, offering residents of the Wasatch Front the first opportunity to see the trains out on the track. (Francisco Kjolseth/The Salt Lake Tribune)

With I-15 in the background this week the Utah Transit Authority began testing its new FrontRunner commuter rail trains as the agency prepares to open the Weber County to Salt Lake City line. (Francisco Kjolseth/The Salt Lake Tribune )

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 6:52 PM
Desert Dweller

I really have to give props to the Wasatch Front area for making "heavy rail" happen so quickly. It seems as though it was in discussion only a few years ago! I know it helps having the existing track in place, but these plans generally take decades to materialize. I am truly amazed, and encourage everyone to ride - for the sake of the environment, and to create a good business case for your surrounding Mountain West metro's!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 7:18 AM

Actually, I believe FrontRunner will run on new tracks within an existing right-of-way, which they purchased from on of the railroads. Agreed though that the Wasatch Front's progress on public transportation is astounding. I think the public was opposed to light rail in the early 90's, and even voted down a proposal to be funded by tax increases. We've done a complete 180 on this issue, and now will have major expansions of our existing TRAX by 2015, as well as the completion of heavy rail from Ogden to Provo with FrontRunner--all done with the help of tax increases, I might add.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 12:05 PM

Bus-route changes will start on Sunday

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...204238,00.html

UTA

The Utah Transit Authority is making big changes this Sunday to its Salt Lake County bus system,....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 10:32 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonkey View Post
Actually, I believe FrontRunner will run on new tracks within an existing right-of-way, which they purchased from on of the railroads. Agreed though that the Wasatch Front's progress on public transportation is astounding. I think the public was opposed to light rail in the early 90's, and even voted down a proposal to be funded by tax increases. We've done a complete 180 on this issue, and now will have major expansions of our existing TRAX by 2015, as well as the completion of heavy rail from Ogden to Provo with FrontRunner--all done with the help of tax increases, I might add.

I'm also very optimistic for the Wasatch Front's future. I think it takes four things to keep a city moving:

(1) Plenty of Freeway
(2) Effective Mass Transit
(3) Logical, effective arterial network.
(4) Pedestrian Trails

Overall, with the MVC, and Legacy North I think (1) is right on par. We may need another east-west freeway in SLC, and maybe a freeway around Utah Lake on the other side.

I think (2) is most certainly ready to roll.

I think Salt Lake County is in great shape in (3), with Weber in "pretty good" shape. Utah and Davis Counties are is in "below expectations" shape, with Provo (and a few other cities) in the "hopeless" category.

I think Salt Lake is making good progress in category (4), with the other counties coming along.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 12:18 PM

Incentives helping make Utah the hot spot for natural gas cars

go to www.CNGMotors.com

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...204002,00.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...204005,00.html

Salesman Ron Brown of Ken Garff Honda shows a Honda Civic GX, which qualifies for federal and state natural gas tax credits.

...Emissions from CNG vehicles are dramatically lower than gasoline or diesel vehicles. "Gasoline pollutes when they refine it, when they put it in the truck when the truck puts it in the gas station's tank, when it's pumped into the car and when it's burned in the engine," Larsen said. "When you look at the full cycle of pollution, the difference is huge."

...With natural gas in Utah costing the equivalent of 73.6 cents per gallon, a car that gets 25 miles per gallon can go 100 miles for $2.94, compared to $10.80 with gasoline at $2.70 a gallon. Questar's vehicle fueling stations have seen a 60 percent increase in use over the past two years, Larsen said.

Honda Civic GX

Last edited by delts145; Aug 26, 2007 at 12:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West