1481 Post in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:11 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
This one still isn't dead, but it's been neutered. The developers have scaled back from 416 feet to 240 feet rather than continue fighting for an increased height limit on the parcel.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/artic...g-11283845.php
Wow, that is terrible. I almost rather it not be built.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:29 PM

^^I'd prefer 400 ft but I'll take 200, especially since they're going to make it have larger floor plates apparently to achieve almost as many apartments. SF needs the housing. If it meets current zoning, just build it. And oh, by the way: Sup. Breed, just stay out of it.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 10:19 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^I'd prefer 400 ft but I'll take 200, especially since they're going to make it have larger floor plates apparently to achieve almost as many apartments. SF needs the housing. If it meets current zoning, just build it. And oh, by the way: Sup. Breed, just stay out of it.
Why should the supervisor for the district stay out of it? London Breed is great and this tower looks hideous as currently rendered.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Why should the supervisor for the district stay out of it? London Breed is great and this tower looks hideous as currently rendered.
Because political interference will slow down construction and because I believe in "as of right" development rules.

Quote:
An AS-OF-RIGHT development is a DEVELOPMENT which complies with all applicable zoning regulations and does not require any discretionary action (special permit or variance) by the City Planning Commission or Board of Standards and Appeals for approval.
http://permitspace.blogspot.com/2007...velopment.html

Whether it's "community input" or Supervisorial meddling, the reason San Francisco has so much trouble getting things built is that zoning really means nothing. It's just a starting point--an upper limit. When something meets zoning codes, anyone and everyone can still demand "discretionary review". That's the trouble. In this case, a 400 ft building was not allowable under zoning so the developer has cut it down to something that is. Why should anybody, whether "neighbor" or political overlord be able to stop a compliant project. If they think it's too big or whatever, they should have changed the zoning long ago. And how it looks is purely subjective and your opinion. I think it's fine but niether opinion should matter.

FYI:

Quote:
So long, NIMBYs? Gov. Brown's housing proposal could mean sweeping Bay Area changes
May 17, 2016, 6:21am PDT Updated May 17, 2016, 10:53am PDT

Roland Li
Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

Gov. Jerry Brown has proposed sweeping statewide legislation that would allow new market-rate projects with onsite affordable housing to be approved "as of right," in potentially California's most significant housing policy change in years.

. . . Under the proposal, new projects with 20 percent affordable housing for tenants making no more than 80 percent of the area median income or projects with 10 percent affordable housing near transit would be exempt from most local reviews.

That would be a sharp break from the current policy of most Bay Area cities, including San Francisco, where each new housing project is subject to discretionary review and usually takes years for approval . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...oval-ceqa.html

Unforturnately, so far the NIMBY's fellow-travellers in the Democratic machine's legislative coterie have blocked the Governor. But if we ever want to solve our housing problem and keep mediocrity from dominating San Francisco development, we need this.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:02 AM
Surrounded by Nature

I expect my supervisor to be aware of and involved with anything major happening in my district, though do agree with you regarding excessive delays caused by individuals or small groups of people. London Breed is very pro housing, as are several other supervisors. This building is hideous as rendered though and we'll all have to look at it. I agree with homebucket.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 7:42 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Wow this one has been a long time coming, disappointing compared to the original version.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I expect my supervisor to be aware of and involved with anything major happening in my district, though do agree with you regarding excessive delays caused by individuals or small groups of people. London Breed is very pro housing, as are several other supervisors. This building is hideous as rendered though and we'll all have to look at it. I agree with homebucket.
You have a lot of faith in politicians whose main interest always is getting elected.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals