HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 5:53 AM

Possibly good news for SLC. There's some weird stock-purchasing agreement going on between Delta, Air France - KLM, and China Eastern to purchase stock in Virgin Atlantic. Virgin isn't a member of SkyTeam but it sounds like delta and its associates are pushing virgin towards joining. The incorporation of China Eastern may mark a good sign for SLC - flights to and from Shanghai? And possibly flights on Virgin Atlantic to LHR considering that Virgin isn't in an alliance yet? - This will open up slots at LHR for skyteam which has traditionally been very expensive to purchase spots at. I don't really understand the specifics of the deal and regulatory approval is still required but considering that it involves SkyTeam hopefully its good news for Salt Lake.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Possibly good news for SLC. There's some weird stock-purchasing agreement going on between Delta, Air France - KLM, and China Eastern to purchase stock in Virgin Atlantic. Virgin isn't a member of SkyTeam but it sounds like delta and its associates are pushing virgin towards joining. The incorporation of China Eastern may mark a good sign for SLC - flights to and from Shanghai? And possibly flights on Virgin Atlantic to LHR considering that Virgin isn't in an alliance yet? - This will open up slots at LHR for skyteam which has traditionally been very expensive to purchase spots at. I don't really understand the specifics of the deal and regulatory approval is still required but considering that it involves SkyTeam hopefully its good news for Salt Lake.
Delta, Air France-KLM, Virgin Atlantic, and China Eastern have announced a billion-dollar mega-deal
Benjamin Zhang
Business Insider
27 July 2017

"On Thursday, Delta Air Lines and China Eastern Airlines announced that they have each purchased 10% of Air France-KLM.

Delta and China Eastern's stake in Air France-KLM comes in the form of new shares from capital increases valued at $875 million.

In addition, Air France-KLM has agreed to purchase a 31% stake in Virgin Atlantic Airways from Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group valued at $287 million...."

"In 2012, Delta acquired a 49% stake in Virgin Atlantic Airways from Singapore Airlines in a deal worth $360 million.

In 2015, Delta acquired 3.2% of China Eastern Airlines for $450 million."

http://www.businessinsider.com/delta...ce-deal-2017-7

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:06 AM

The SLC Airport YouTube page posted another construction B-roll video of the tunnel for the media. As far as I can tell it looks like it's going to be fairly spacious.

https://youtu.be/kqC1fi97jBw

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:23 PM

August 9, 2017
  • Poured concrete columns for elevated roadway and parking garage
  • Continued erecting steel for SOuth Concourse
  • Averaged 550 workers on-site daily
  • Continued concrete pours for terminal tunnel

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 8:48 PM
BANNED

Aeromexico operated by Aeromexico Connect will begin nonstop service to Guadalajara to/from Salt Lake City in January using an E190 aircraft. I believe the flight goes daily in February. I'm not sure if this means that Delta will be ending their nonstop flight to Guadalajara. Aeromexico and Delta are very close partners. Delta owns 49% of Aeromexico and they have a joint venture that is currently in the works of being announced.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
Aeromexico operated by Aeromexico Connect will begin nonstop service to Guadalajara to/from Salt Lake City in January using an E190 aircraft. I believe the flight goes daily in February. I'm not sure if this means that Delta will be ending their nonstop flight to Guadalajara. Aeromexico and Delta are very close partners. Delta owns 49% of Aeromexico and they have a joint venture that is currently in the works of being announced.
I thought the JV was approved? So Delta and AM now share all profits and sales on routes from Mexico to America.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I thought the JV was approved? So Delta and AM now share all profits and sales on routes from Mexico to America.
Yep, you are correct, my mistake. The JV started back in May.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 11:35 PM

8/18/2017 - counted 14 cranes

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:13 AM
The Drifter

Holy crap that parking structure is going to be HUGE

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 5:17 PM

Yuge!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:17 AM

In the photos of the parking structure, the round columns in the foreground belong to the ramp leading to the upper terminal level unloading area. They aren't part of the parking structure.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
8/18/2017 - counted 14 cranes

Is this the main concourse? It looks kind of small.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Is this the main concourse? It looks kind of small.
They're only constructing the farthest quarter of the concourse right now but within a couple of months they'll proceed to connect the terminal and south concourse west. What opens in 2020 is only half of the entire size of the concourse, I don't know how the addition of the north Concourse has changed their phasing strategy but they will demolish the terminals, construct south concourse east (along with north Concourse east) demolish the former concourses and activate all gates in 2024. The south concourse will be nearly 4200 feet long if I remember correctly (only Denver B, osaka-kansai, and DTW have longer
terminal) when completely built in 2024 and if the additional 15 gates are built for the north Concourse it will be nearly that long.

As far as square footage, the concourse itself will be much wider than anything SLC has had so far. I'll try to find some floorplans that show how wide it is compared to say, the D concourse.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:53 PM

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 11:11 PM
Exit 298

What the....? They are now seriously considering having TRAX approach the terminal at grade! What? So the trains will cross across 15 lanes of taxis, buses, shuttles, and cars?

Ding ding ding ... down go the crossing arms? YIKES

http://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/...wont-say-more/

Get your crap together and fund the friggin' TRAX connector. Geez.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
What the....? They are now seriously considering having TRAX approach the terminal at grade! What? So the trains will cross across 15 lanes of taxis, buses, shuttles, and cars?

Ding ding ding ... down go the crossing arms? YIKES

http://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/...wont-say-more/

Get your crap together and fund the friggin' TRAX connector. Geez.
I'd like to take the time to remind everyone that the legislature signed a law barring the department of airports from spending any money on transit projects in Utah, FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON. The root of the problem here is this law... but seeing as that its likely to remain to send the middle finger to anyone with hopes of circumventing bureaucracy, UTA is the person at fault here. This reconfiguration has been in planning SINCE 1999. Nearly 20 GOD DAMN YEARS. And yet they can't scrape up the cash to pay for this?

Like other people have been suggesting here... its time to dissolve UTA, ban any of its executives or board members from ever serving in its place, and create a Wasatch Front Transit Council that is closely incorporated with UDOT to handle transit in SLC and better serve the wasatch front using UDOT funds. The fact that this has been going on for more than a year shows how much UTA will drag its feet about anything and everything.

And shame on biskupski... she has the duty to inform the public of these kinds of debates. The very fact that they have been hiding this secret shows that they know this is not the right option to take but will go about it anyways to fly their flag of "fiscal conservatism" proudly. Hey, we avoiding spending money on public infrastructure! Good for us or something?

I can't believe that crossing 15 lanes of traffic is considered a valid option for this... in any other city this would be laughed at. Shame on the UTA, shame on biskupski, shame on the state legislature. The SLCDA is the only competently run party in this situation and seeing as that Maureen Riley is gone they don't have much say in this anyways.

In other news, SLC recently purchased 3 comus buses to be used for hardstand operations... a blog post was published on August 21st on the New SLC website, with more details to follow. I would imagine that they would depart from the E gates.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:42 AM
Exit 298

To be fair, 15 may be hyperbolic. But regardless, it's going to be a lot of traffic. It defeats all the other grade separation that's been put into the airport to put an at-grade train crossing on the entry route.

Legislature: "How dare you spend money on trains."
[at-grade crossing ruins airport for car arrivals]
Legislature: "Wait? Whaaaaaaaaa?"
[approves spending]

Quote:
ts time to dissolve UTA, ban any of its executives or board members from ever serving in its place, and create a Wasatch Front Transit Council that is closely incorporated with UDOT
Here here!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:51 AM

Agreed on both that UTA is an irredeemable mess and Biskupski is a shit mayor.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 5:43 PM

At this point I feel it is important to re-post a suggestion by Tygr, made back in May on the Salt Lake Transit Thread:

The solid pink line is the alignment TRAX would take to a stop in the parking garage. Tygr's idea was to have the TRAX line not cross the road at all, but instead stick to the outside of the road and have a station at the airport terminal itself.

Here's a direct quote from the linked article that suggests to me that this is exactly what the airport, UTA, and SLC are thinking:
Quote:
Benson said Tuesday that an “at-grade” extension previously wasn’t contemplated because it would impinge on taxiways on the north side of the facility, and previous Airport Director Maureen Riley had “said it wasn’t acceptable.”
Biskupski told the council the city had gone “back to the drawing board” after Riley’s retirement this summer, under interim Director Russell Pack.
(Emphasis added)

It is worth noting that in Tygr's proposal the TRAX line would have to be squeezed in between the roads and bridges to the south, and the taxiway to the north. I would guess that they figured out a way to eek out enough space to fit in TRAX, perhaps by going down to a single track. Since it is the end of the line, I really wouldn't mind if they went down to a single track all the way into the station. This is the way light rail is operated at Portland's airport, after all.

It's also worth mentioning the trade-offs for this proposal. Tygr, Jubguy, and I discussed these on the transit thread a while back.

Pros:
1) It is cheaper
2) It puts TRAX access at the terminal, rather than the parking garage

Cons:
1) It bypasses the welcome center in the parking garage
2) Because the airport is 3 levels and TRAX would be on the bottom level, there may be some additional expense in building elevators/escalators/stairs to the upper two levels. Perhaps the airport could cover these costs, since it wouldn't be explicitly for transit.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 6:28 PM

I mean, it would be nice to have the elevated line into the welcome center, but it really wouldn't be too much of a hassle to cross the road and come up to the first floor of the welcome center. The arms would only be down 45 seconds every 15 minutes if they can time it right. And honestly, they only thing they'd have to do would be to put an escalator down to the station from where the entrance to it was originally going to be. I don't think it's that big a of deal. If they are worried about it impeding traffic, have the line just do a quick flyover of the road and return to ground level before the road starts to split up into separate lanes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West