HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:38 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

This airport talk really confuses me. The airport already has one new terminal and has space/plans for at least two more if I recall correctly. Plus they're building a humongous rental car palace directly across from terminal A. I get that the big wigs want more direct flights from SAT, but I don't think that really has anything to do with the physical airport. Look at the map, SAT has a fair amount of room to expand. Totally spitballing here because I'm not anything like an expert, but it seems like we could squeeze in at least two terminals and another runway, plus runway extensions for at least one runway, even more maybe if you kicked out all the private hangars and junk on the periphery and built structured parking on all the lots.

It can't really acquire any more land of course, so it is landlocked, but there's a significant amount of underutilized or even unused airport-owned land. And it's basically in a perfect location, right in the middle of town at the junction of two major highways. So, who cares if it's landlocked? SAT isn't about to become DFW or anything. Would it be worth a billion dollars to build the airport of our dreams out in Loopland?

As for the whole Regional Airport crap, Austin definitely doesn't want to share an airport. Maybe Henry Cisneros is in talks with Corpus Christi now...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 5:52 AM

Agreed. I'm not too knowledgeable on airports, but for those who are, look at Seattle.

My understanding is SEA has one of the tightest/densest footprints in the U.S. And they have managed to add tons of long distance/international flights. It currently serves about 30 million people with projected needs for 60 million in a few decades. The talk is about how to fit all that growth into the existing footprint.

Where there's a will, there's a way. SAT can serve the city well with smart planning and more airline friendly policies to help them make the business case.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
This airport talk really confuses me. The airport already has one new terminal and has space/plans for at least two more if I recall correctly. Plus they're building a humongous rental car palace directly across from terminal A. I get that the big wigs want more direct flights from SAT, but I don't think that really has anything to do with the physical airport. Look at the map, SAT has a fair amount of room to expand. Totally spitballing here because I'm not anything like an expert, but it seems like we could squeeze in at least two terminals and another runway, plus runway extensions for at least one runway, even more maybe if you kicked out all the private hangars and junk on the periphery and built structured parking on all the lots.

It can't really acquire any more land of course, so it is landlocked, but there's a significant amount of underutilized or even unused airport-owned land. And it's basically in a perfect location, right in the middle of town at the junction of two major highways. So, who cares if it's landlocked? SAT isn't about to become DFW or anything. Would it be worth a billion dollars to build the airport of our dreams out in Loopland?

As for the whole Regional Airport crap, Austin definitely doesn't want to share an airport. Maybe Henry Cisneros is in talks with Corpus Christi now...
If you go to the SAT website, they have a report that details their master plan that runs through 2050 (I believe).

I actually posted the link some time back when the discussion about a regional airport began, but it's easy to find on the website.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 5:20 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
If you go to the SAT website, they have a report that details their master plan that runs through 2050 (I believe).

I actually posted the link some time back when the discussion about a regional airport began, but it's easy to find on the website.
Very interesting, thanks

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 3:31 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Mayor, Uber to launch massive driver recruitment

http://www.foxsanantonio.com
Updated: Wednesday, January 6 2016, 08:45 AM CST
http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/fe...l#.Vo0vF1JAriQ

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO - The ridesharing service Uber will announce an initiative to recruit thousands of new drivers in the San Antonio area over the next twelve months.

Mayor Ivy Taylor will join Uber officials for the announcement on Wednesday morning.

Brooks City Base officials will also be on hand since part of the program is aimed at recruiting military members and their spouses to join the Uber movement.

More details about the plan will be released during a press conference scheduled for 11:30a.m. on Wednesday.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 4:34 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Visionary approach needed for San Antonio International Airport, leaders say

Quote:
The addition of more nonstop flights alone is not going to improve San Antonio’s air accessibility some local leaders contend. At least one City Councilman and the head of an Alamo City air service task force insist that San Antonio must take a more comprehensive look at the redevelopment of its airport infrastructure and its operational strategies moving forward.

To me, it sounds like they are looking for someone to step in and say... "Time to look at other locations". Hopefully I'm correct in my thought process.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 6:17 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
To me, it sounds like they are looking for someone to step in and say... "Time to look at other locations". Hopefully I'm correct in my thought process.
I don't get that vibe at all. They're looking for someone who is going to take a proactive approach to the management of SAT through proper infrastructure upkeep and passenger experience.

The development of a new airport whether it be regional or not isn't going to attract more flights to SA (if anything it's only going to produce hub relief for DFW or IAH, which isn't going to do anything for reducing fare at SAT).

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I don't get that vibe at all. They're looking for someone who is going to take a proactive approach to the management of SAT through proper infrastructure upkeep and passenger experience.

The development of a new airport whether it be regional or not isn't going to attract more flights to SA (if anything it's only going to produce hub relief for DFW or IAH, which isn't going to do anything for reducing fare at SAT).
Clarification, new site for a location far into the future. Unless they can come up with a way to purchase land and figure out how to lengthen one of the run ways to accommodate wide body long haul jets, SA doesn't have a prayer of attracting European or Asian international routes in the future. I would imagine that is at least a glimmer in someones eye over there in SA's city haul.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 2:09 PM

To answer a question posed by Paul in S.A.

[QUOTE=Paul in S.A TX;7233451]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post

When did Austin approach S.A. about building a regional airport in the 1980s or 90's? The regional population wasn't large enough back then for such an airport but it makes more sense now to plan for the additional millions of people moving to the corridor.
From: San Antonio International Airport sees more passenger activity
San Antonio Business Journal 1/7/16

"Austin business leader Pike Powers said he was tasked in 1984 with finding a new, bigger home for Austin's airport at the time. His proposal to share an airport with San Antonio was rebuffed by the Alamo City, he said. "

Paul,
Sorry it took me so long to find the answer but it seems this issue will not die. Now the city council has taken notice.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 9:20 PM
Member since 2001

[QUOTE=Tyrone Shoes;7295060]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post

From: San Antonio International Airport sees more passenger activity
San Antonio Business Journal 1/7/16

"Austin business leader Pike Powers said he was tasked in 1984 with finding a new, bigger home for Austin's airport at the time. His proposal to share an airport with San Antonio was rebuffed by the Alamo City, he said. "

Paul,
Sorry it took me so long to find the answer but it seems this issue will not die. Now the city council has taken notice.

The regional airport (with respect to Austin & San Antonio) idea is DEAD. It's not going to happen.

However, SA could build one with Corpus Christi or Laredo?!? JK!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:31 AM

I've never flown Frontier but have read some scary reviews online. I'm not sure I will ever use their service but it will be nice to have the non-stop option to Philly once again. Having said that, what are y'all's thoughts on Frontier flying back into SAT?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole world11 View Post
I've never flown Frontier but have read some scary reviews online. I'm not sure I will ever use their service but it will be nice to have the non-stop option to Philly once again. Having said that, what are y'all's thoughts on Frontier flying back into SAT?
My roommate is actually a flight attendant for Frontier. A lot of the bad reviews come from misunderstanding or lack of research on the customers part. Customers ASSUMING they, Frontier, is like every other airline. Being an ultra low cost carrier, it's not going to be like AA or SWA. Prior to him working with Frontier, I flew on them twice and had no issues. They do their best not to cancel flights, even if it means flying 4 hours later. So their on-time performance isn't the best.

It's an a la carte airline. You pay for a cheap ticket, then pay for anything else you want such as soda, carry on luggage, etc. They do have a fare option that includes a free carry on and drink, I think....

Any who, I'm happy they're flying there. Whether they added any new non-stop destinations for SAT or not, it brings more options for flyers in and out of SAT.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:35 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1187 View Post
...I'm happy they're flying there. Whether they added any new non-stop destinations for SAT or not, it brings more options for flyers in and out of SAT.
My thoughts exactly, we need more options in at SAT.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Personally I won't fly them but that's just a personal choice. Nothing wrong with them as long as your aware of what the ticket price includes and the extras. Their flights tend to be seasonal and less than daily in a lot of cases as well. If you want a cheap flight and are flexible their not a bad choice.

All that being said as stated, its great having another option. They will also drive prices down on the routes they fly and at the Airport in general. A lot of people tend to drive up to Austin for cheaper flights, this will do a great deal in retaining some of those people in SA. Within the last 6 months we've gained service from 2/3 ultra low cost carriers. Pretty big change from this time last year.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 9:52 PM

Agreed. More competition is a great thing. Just some wishful thinking, but maybe JetBlue will notice.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Agreed. More competition is a great thing. Just some wishful thinking, but maybe JetBlue will notice.
Agreed their the one Airline I've been waiting on for years. Flew them a great deal while living on the East Coast and love their product.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:13 PM

Conrac Construction at SAT

I dropped off a friend this week at the airport and snapped a few pics of the ongoing CONRAC construction project. This project seems to be moving along very, very quickly.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:50 AM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 5:11 AM
Paradise

That sucks. I would have loved to see that rail get up and running in the near future.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:40 PM

The sound bite on the link is even more informative. It sounds like Southwest is considering multiple new destinations from SAT to the west coast, midwest and northeast. Good news for sure!

Southwest Airlines Looking At New Nonstop Destinations From San Antonio

Quote:
About Reagan National, the airport closest to Capitol Hill, Harvey said, “That makes sense,” though he acknowledged regulations currently prevent Southwest from flying nonstop between San Antonio and Reagan.

San Antonio city officials have been talking with lawmakers and Southwest about an exemption from the restriction. Harvey said, “Southwest is the most logical carrier to fly that route,” if the restriction is lifted.

Harvey also characterized direct routes to New York’s LaGuardia and Boston’s Logan as “under investigation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio