HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:22 AM

Anyone know where I can find a restaurant/take-out that serves fries in those white cardboard boxes? Might sound weird to some people but I'm craving fries d/g in one of those boxes. TIA!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Anyone know where I can find a restaurant/take-out that serves fries in those white cardboard boxes? Might sound weird to some people but I'm craving fries d/g in one of those boxes. TIA!
Hmm, Ches's possibly? It's been a long, long time since I've had their takeout, but they may have what you're looking for. Other options are maybe Lio's or Scampers?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
The Big R is a good grease joint - not 100% sure if they serve in the white cardboard box (if that's a must). Best of luck on your hunt!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 12:33 PM

Another chain is setting up shop on Ropewalk Lane. Subway will be opening soon in the building just south of Tim Horton's. Subway once had a successful presence on Ropewalk Lane in the past with an outlet inside the former Dominion Store. Of course, they had no choice but to close when Dominion did.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:10 PM

I don't even remember a Subway being in the Dominion. But who knew Ropewalk Lane would become such a hot spot for fast food.? There is every kind of food joint there now. No Name Pizza, KFC, Burger King (Coming soon), Tim's, Mr. Sub, Subway (Coming soon), A bar, Needs and Sobey's sell deli sandwichs. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Another chain is setting up shop on Ropewalk Lane. Subway will be opening soon in the building just south of Tim Horton's. Subway once had a successful presence on Ropewalk Lane in the past with an outlet inside the former Dominion Store. Of course, they had no choice but to close when Dominion did.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 11:07 PM

WokBox appears to finally be open on Torbay Road. Also the "coming soon" for Coras is up on Hebron Way. Lots of restaurants in that area now.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 6:44 PM

Noticed exterior work ongoing at former Keg Restaurant downtown. Renovations for Bier Markt guess??

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 1:27 PM

yes apparently they are looking at having it open for the summer

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchet22 View Post
Noticed exterior work ongoing at former Keg Restaurant downtown. Renovations for Bier Markt guess??
It is actually a Bier Markt and Mill Street Brew Pub.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 3:15 PM

Labatt just recently purchased the Mill Street Craft brewery.

And Bier Markt was just recently purchased by CARA (Swiss Chalet, Montanas, Milestones, Kelseys) from Prime Restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsales View Post
It is actually a Bier Markt and Mill Street Brew Pub.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Labatt just recently purchased the Mill Street Craft brewery.

And Bier Markt was just recently purchased by CARA (Swiss Chalet, Montanas, Milestones, Kelseys) from Prime Restaurants.
So are you saying it is unlikely that both would be coming?

Heard a rumour that Steve Vardy (owner of Adelaide Oyster House) was going to open a taco spot in the vacant Aqua building. Anyone else heard this?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad709 View Post
My understanding would be that Mill Street would probably need more space than 1/2 of the keg location. With Labbatt purchasing Mill Street I assume they want to increase beer production, they'd need a brew space larger than what they could get in the keg location. Unless of course they'll be brewing at Labbatt brewery with a pub downtown, which would be do-able.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 2:17 PM

Also, I noticed yesterday that Eat Clean downtown has shut down. Oh well. I support better eating, but I don't support the pseudo-science that often gets lumped into it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 2:41 PM

No, wasn't suggesting that at all, was just posting some useless information about who owned each brand. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad709 View Post

Heard a rumour that Steve Vardy (owner of Adelaide Oyster House) was going to open a taco spot in the vacant Aqua building. Anyone else heard this?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 5:14 PM

Actually nick it in the butt right away, Mill Street is hiring a head brewmaster at the moment for their local operation, but currently have no brewpub location picked out yet.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:43 PM

The new North Atlantic gas bar and Orange Store on the corner of Southland's Boulevard and Great Southern Drive is now open. The Orange Store is in the centre of the building with leasable space on each side. I have now heard that the smaller space to the right will be a pizza chain. I don't know which one. Likely another Domino's, although I would love to see a Papa John's, since they are in most provinces and it's time they set up shop here. The larger space on the left which also contains a drive thru will be a Dairy Queen.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:14 PM

The drawings for the renovations for Bier Markt all show Mill Street signage on one side as well.

I will dig deeper to see what else I can find out.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:54 PM

And where are these drawings you speak of and how can we see them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsales View Post
The drawings for the renovations for Bier Markt all show Mill Street signage on one side as well.

I will dig deeper to see what else I can find out.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:04 PM

Agenda for Monday reports change of occupancy and renovation permit was issued to Cara Foods for 135 Harbour.

There is also an application from Element Coffee Bar and Lounge to open a coffee bar with liquor license at 516 Topsail Road ( http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/516-topsail-road ). Nice to see a, presumably, locally owned business going in that area, as opposed to just another Tims or Starrrbucks.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:10 AM

135 Harbour Drive is indeed the former Keg location. I guess this is The Bier Markt and supposedly the Mill Street Brew pub.

516 topsail Rd is that building behind Burger King on Topsail and Cowan Ave prob where the Box Fit use to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
Agenda for Monday reports change of occupancy and renovation permit was issued to Cara Foods for 135 Harbour.

There is also an application from Element Coffee Bar and Lounge to open a coffee bar with liquor license at 516 Topsail Road ( http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/516-topsail-road ). Nice to see a, presumably, locally owned business going in that area, as opposed to just another Tims or Starrrbucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's