HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 2:39 AM

Random Discussion

So fellas... who likes Popsicles?

Anyways, I figure I might as well do the whole name game thing, as I don't know any of you personally (I think), never made a formal introduction of myself in the first place, and I can't think of anything much better to talk about.

My name is Matthew Bailey. I'm an 18 year old highschool graduate currently working through the paperwork needed to start the recruitment process into the Canadian Forces. For those of you that wanna know, I would like to drive tanks, however a field engineer would be good.

Ultimately, maybe 3 or 8 years down the road (when the military contracts are up) I would like to leave the military and begin training to become an architect. Why not dive into architecture right now? I don't have the grades, and I'm not exactly the most wealthy person on earth. Not like the military will help much... it all depends on my spending habits while I live on base.

Once out of the forces, I hope to begin studying Architecture at the University of Manitoba. Finally upon completing that I hope to move back to Vancouver and someday down the road get enough experience to be able to add my own little bit of flair to our wonderful skyline. (I promise not to go crazy about height. )

PS. I'm from the Hamlet of Fanny Bay, BC, on the east coast of Vancouver Island. I lived in the lower mainland for the first seven years of my life, and have since spent an average of two months per year there visiting ever since. It's home to me, even if I don't live there anymore.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 1:58 AM

The prospect of an architect that can fire artillery is interesting. Sounds like a good make-work project.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:09 AM

Well, after a few years spent destroying shit, I might aswell start making some eh?

It'll teach me how to manage stress well, especially the feeling of being under fire (although there isn't as much worry in a tank).

I would think this quality would be a good thing for an architct, both when designing a building and when presenting it to the Vancouver (or other city's equivilent to) UDP. Kinda why I wanna enforce it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:18 AM

wow.....joining the army, that's quite honourable of you and i'm sure it'll be a great experience....but just don't get yourself killed in Afghanistan. o_o

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:32 AM

I;m kinda joining hoping to be able to do at least one tour. If there is an election this fall I'm voting conservative (I'm normally a liberal). If we don't go there past 2009, then I hope I get through Basic training, SQ (Soldier Qualification), and the 5-6 week Armour/Recce course in time to get sent over to Afghanistan to learn on the job, they did that with a few guys from Lord Straths (one of our tank Regiments).

As for something more construction oriented: Knowing that Vancouver is slowly running our of industrial space, wouldn't it be prudent to perhaps design buildings to be built atop of underground industrial complexes? for instance, all the current rail yards left by coal harbour would be put 100-200 feet underground, and the support structure of this underground rail yard would be able to hold up any buildings put on top of it. For instance; if the city wants 300-500 footers in the area, design it to hold up 800-1000 foot, 2 million square foot office towers. Same thing goes with other remaining industrial area's... If there is a ware-house district at a prime area for development (by Burrard Inlet for instance), the whole complex could be stuck underground and designed to be overbuilt as was my other example with the rail yards above, or each individual tower or townhouse complex could build a warehouse-area as a part of it's foundation.

As for people worried about industrial vehicles driving down residential streets, do the same thing, stick the industrial arteries underground, only surfacing at certain major roadway's or freeway connections.

As incentive to build industrial capacity into a buildings foundation, a development could be granted density and/or height bonuses, as well as the perk of industrial lease payments to the developer of the building.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:33 AM

That training will serve you well. Unprepared naive architects are frequently torn apart by the jealous bumpkins that make up our UDP. I won't say you should learn to bullshit, but you definitely have to quickly think on your feet when the questions rain down upon you.

I'd like to see how Vancouver runs its UDPs. I bet it's a lot more professional.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden West View Post
That training will serve you well. Unprepared naive architects are frequently torn apart by the jealous bumpkins that make up our UDP. I won't say you should learn to bullshit, but you definitely have to quickly think on your feet.

I'd like to see how Vancouver runs its UDPs. I bet it's a lot more professional.
Thinking quickly on my feet is a skill I already have, I simply want to refine it.

Another problem people have pointed out to me is I tend to be very blunt, and speak my mind often. This can lead to situations where I say something out of place or at an inappropriate time. Hell, I'm sure even you guy's have noticed this. I hope that is a problem I can overcome while I'm still in the early phases of basic.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:06 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Having been in the infantry and serving a couple of terms overseas in the former Yugoslavia let me give you some advice. You will hate every minute of duty while you're there. You will come back a very different person. It will change you. I'm glad I went through it and I'm grateful for the experiences but I wouldn't ever do it again.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Thinking quickly on my feet is a skill I already have, I simply want to refine it.

Another problem people have pointed out to me is I tend to be very blunt, and speak my mind often. This can lead to situations where I say something out of place or at an inappropriate time. Hell, I'm sure even you guy's have noticed this. I hope that is a problem I can overcome while I'm still in the early phases of basic.
its just part of being 18

you grow out of your blutness with age

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 12:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Well, Canadian Mind, at least you realize your problem (not that I have actually encountered you speaking like this). It's good to know what your cons are. Many people don't... and even if they do, they wouldn't care. So I hope that you would act upon this and hope to change. But I'm pretty sure you can.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 11:12 AM

Why was Canadian Mind suspended?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:49 AM

"Another problem people have pointed out to me is I tend to be very blunt, and speak my mind often."

In this case I was bashing Toronto... I was being sarcastic, but apparently it rubbed someone the wrong way.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion