HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 9:20 PM

Prospect Profile: Height won’t hold back Noah Picton
cfl.ca April 20, 2018

TORONTO — It was a question the Regina Rams’ starting quarterback had probably answered a hundred times, but he knew it was coming anyway.

Is size going to stand in the way of Noah Picton playing quarterback in the Canadian Football League?

“It’s been the same commentary growing up,” responded Picton. “‘He’s too small to play’.”

“At each level that’s kind of how it goes. Coming to the CFL, those same people are going to be saying the same things, but I think going forward I’ll be able to prove those people wrong as well.”

There are short quarterbacks, and then there’s Noah Picton. Listed at 5-foot-9, Picton has overcome questions about his size since he started playing the position in high school.

Now, a year after winning the Hec Crighton as the U SPORTS most outstanding player in 2016, he’ll look to go pro at the 2018 CFL Draft.

Canadian quarterbacks have made for an interesting case study over the years, with Andrew Buckley and Brandon Bridge paving the way for the next big name. That appears to be Picton, whose impressive footwork and accurate arm were on full display during the CFL Scouting Combine presented by adidas last month in Winnipeg.

But as Picton proved capable of making all the throws necessary in the three-down game, questions about his height would not go away.

“Noah Picton deserves to get an opportunity, regardless of his stature,” said CFL.ca’s Marshall Ferguson. “His quickness at the quarterback position is unlike everything we’ve seen in the last five-plus years for Canadian quarterbacks. His ball placement is always receiver-friendly, and he carries himself like somebody who deserves an opportunity, regardless of whether or not he gets drafted.”

Bridge was drafted in the fourth round, 31st overall, while Buckley went in the seventh round, 62nd overall. For the record, Ferguson did not place Picton in his second of three mock drafts leading into next month.

However, the success of Bridge and Buckley should pave more paths to the pros for Canadian quarterbacks. And by all accounts, talent is not an issue for the Rams’ four-year starter.

Picton has already envisioned what it might be like to have his name called on draft day.

“It would be a dream come true, really, to get onto a CFL roster as just a local prairie kid from Regina, Saskatchewan, growing up cheering for the Riders,” said Picton. “To be able to step into the CFL and lead a team would be an unbelievable experience.”

The CFL Draft will unfold on May 3 at 8 p.m. ET.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:45 AM

well it's official 2019 grey cup in Calgary and no renovations to a 59 year old McMahon stadium

http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...ear-on-the-way

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
well it's official 2019 grey cup in Calgary and no renovations to a 59 year old McMahon stadium

http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...ear-on-the-way
They may do a few upgrades but we will see

I did notice the date listed as Nov 24, 2019. So does that meant the season is NOT moving up in 2019 too?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:01 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Why hasn't there been a Grey Cup held at THF in Hamilton yet ?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:13 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Why hasn't there been a Grey Cup held at THF in Hamilton yet ?
Because they refuse to host it until all the stadium is actually complete. I would assume they are worried that modifications (temporary seating and such) needed to host the Grey Cup would limit their ability to pursue getting the work done by the original builders.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:20 PM

^ It's incredible that Hamilton has gone so long without hosting a Grey Cup. Not that Bob Young needs sympathy, but he has been bankrolling that team for a long time and not once has he received the benefit of a Grey Cup windfall. I hope they straighten out that situation soon.

So where will the game go in 2020? Montreal hasn't hosted in a while although the franchise seems to be suffering from an all around malaise so 2020 may be too soon for them to fully take advantage of it. Sask hosted in 2013 but there could be enough of an appetite to host again. I guess there's also Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 4:14 AM

Doesn't Toronto have to host it every three years or so?!

I do hope that Hamilton can sort it's stuff out for 2020.

Then back to Toronto for 2021, Sask for 2022 and Halifax for 2023!!

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton acquires top pick in CFL draft in trade with Alouettes
Former NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel remains on Hamilton's negotiation list

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ttes-1.4646230

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have acquired the top draft selection in Thursday's CFL draft in a trade with Montreal involving two players and multiple picks.

In addition to the top pick, Hamilton receives Montreal's fourth- and sixth-round picks in 2018, as well as the Alouettes' natural second-round selection in 2019.

The Alouettes receive Canadian offensive lineman Ryan Bomben, international wide receiver Jamal Robinson, the second-overall pick on Thursday, Hamilton's fourth- and seventh-round selections and a player from Hamilton's negotiation list.

Players on Hamilton's negotiation list include quarterback Johnny Manziel but the Tiger-Cats confirmed that the player in the deal was not Manziel.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:08 PM

Stamps’ Andrew Buckley announces retirement
cfl.ca Staff May 7, 2018

CALGARY — Canadian quarterback Andrew Buckley announced Monday he’s retiring from the Canadian Football League to pursue other career opportunities.

Buckley, just 24 years old, retires after two seasons with the Stampeders. The former seventh-round draft pick was expected to serve as the primary backup quarterback to Bo Levi Mitchell.

“I need to thank the Calgary Stampeders organization for an amazing two years,” said Buckley. “It has been the thrill of a lifetime wearing the red and white and I consider myself immensely lucky to have been a Stampeder.

“I’ve been accepted into medical school at the University of Calgary and it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass on. Studying medicine has been my goal since I was young and this is the right time in my life to pursue it.”

A Calgary native, Buckley spent two seasons with the Stampeders, serving primarily as the team’s short-yardage quarterback as well as the holder on field goals and extra points. He had 57 career carries for 157 yards and 11 touchdowns including eight touchdowns in 2016, a total that matched the CFL single-season record for rushing majors by a Canadian quarterback.

Buckley also completed 33 of 44 passes as a Stamp for 326 yards and one touchdown.

A two-time winner of the Hec Crighton Trophy as the top player in Canadian university football, Buckley was a seventh-round selection of the Stamps out of the University of Calgary in 2015.

“We’re sorry to lose Andrew but we certainly wish him the best in his studies and his future career,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “We enjoyed Andrew’s time with the Red and White and thank him for everything he did for the organization.”

The Stamps are likely to bring in at least another quarterback for training camp, but in the meantime, Ricky Stanzi appears to be the favourite to back up Mitchell this season.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 11:23 PM

Michael O’Connor is the next great Canadian QB prospect
Justin Dunk 3downnation.com May 9, 2018

Michael O’Connor is the next Canadian quarterback who could rise to pro stardom.

O’Connor is front and centre at the 2018 USports East-West Bowl in Quebec City, the top showcase event in front of scouts from CFL and even NFL teams for the next draft class of Canadian university football players. He came back from the NCAA – Penn State University – to win a Vanier Cup with UBC in his first year back in Canada.

“O’Connor has size and once pro coaches get a hold of him he could really improve,” a scout said.

The Ottawa native has prototypical quarterback size: six-foot-five, 225 pounds. O’Connor threw 51 touchdown passes in Grade 10 at Ashbury College, attended Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tennessee and moved on to play at IMG Academy in Florida under the tutelage of Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Chris Weinke, leading them to an 8-2 record in 2013 throwing for 1,804 yards and 18 touchdowns in 10 games. He was the No. 6 ranked high school quarterback by ESPN and played in the Under Armour All-American Game, the only Canadian prospect to be invited that year.

Strong play wherever O’Connor suited up earned him a scholarship to Penn State. Bill O’Brien, who spent time as Tom Brady’s quarterback’s coach and offensive coordinator with the New England Patriots, recruited O’Connor and wanted him to play in his pro-style offence. But before O’Connor arrived on campus, O’Brien left the Nittany Lions to accept the Houston Texans head coaching job.

James Franklin took over as head coach and Christian Hackenberg was the starter until he was picked in the second round by the New York Jets in the 2016 NFL draft. Despite O’Connor going 11-for-16 for 81 yards in Penn State’s spring game, he redshirted in 2014 and then transferred to the University of British Columbia. Year one with the Thunderbirds saw O’Connor light up defences while leading the team to a National Championship in 2015.

“Good size, tough and stands in there, poised and calm, he can move around in the pocket and create with his feet. He could still improve his arm strength. Draftable quarterback prospect,” a football executive said.

“He’s just as good as some third-string quarterbacks in our league,” a CFL assistant general manager said.

2019 is O’Connor’s draft year on both sides of the border, so he has another season to develop at the university level. Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon believes O’Connor could play in the NFL. Jesse Palmer, an Ottawa native like O’Connor, remains the last Canadian quarterback to be drafted into the NFL and throw a pass in a regular season game.

With the draft process about to begin in earnest at the East-West this week, the scrutiny of being the next Canadian quarterback hope means all eyes will be on O’Connor. But it will ultimately be his on-field performance that will determine his football future.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 1:30 PM

I wish him luck but seems for some reason Canada sucks at developing Quarterbacks the last 50 years. You look at how we can develop good baseball, basketball players even to a lesser degree golfers but QB's we just don't know how to play since Russ Jackson in the 60's.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:42 PM

Argos sign Canadian QB Noah Picton
Justin Dunk 3downnation May 10, 2018

Canadian quarterback Noah Picton has signed with the Toronto Argonauts.

Argos general manager Jim Popp has been known to give national pivots opportunities in the CFL. He drafted Brandon Bridge while in Montreal and signed Kyle Quinlan as an undrafted free agent in 2012 just to name a couple.

Picton went unselected in the 2018 CFL draft and did not get picked up through the non-counter waiver process.

Each team can bring two Canadian players, often draft-eligible athletes that were passed over, to training camp as long as they have not played a down in the CFL. Just like CFL draft picks those players do not count as part of the team’s 75-man roster. However, draft-eligible free agents do count towards the roster number.

Picton won the Hec Crighton Trophy in 2016 after setting a USports single-season record with 3,186 passing yards. He followed that up with a first-team All-Canadian selection in 2017. Picton is already the Canada West conference’s all-time leading passer (9,840).

He checked in at just over 5-foot-8 and 177 pounds at the CFL combine – undersized for a prototypical professional quarterback.

Picton spent 2015 training camp with the Saskatchewan Roughriders as part of the CFL’s Canadian quarterback internship program.

After the CFL combine in March all Picton wanted was a shot.

“You don’t need everybody to believe, you just need someone to give you a shot,” Picton said. “And I feel confident that if I get that shot I’ll be alright.”

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:40 AM

Canadian QB Noah Picton going to learn from ‘a room full of greats’ with Argos
3Down Staff May 10, 2018

Noah Picton believes only positive things can happen from signing with the Toronto Argonauts.

Especially considering Picton will be learning from head coach Marc Trestman, Hall of Fame quarterback Anthony Calvillo and four-time Grey Cup champion Ricky Ray.

“It’s a room full of greats, I don’t think there is any better place that I could go at the quarterback position. It’s going to be a whirlwind of learning and knowledge. I’m just excited to get there and see how they operate and approach the game mentally,” Picton told 620 CKRM’s, Mitchell Blair.

“I definitely don’t think I could get worse learning from those guys. So I think it’s only going to improve the mental side of the game. They have so much experience and knowledge that I’m just looking to go soak up.”

The Argos inked Picton after he went unselected in the 2018 CFL draft.

“[The draft] is always going to bother you. Like I said from the get-go I just wanted to get into a camp, that’s the opportunity that I have right now. I’ve always had a chip on my shoulder whether or not [going undrafted] plays a part in it, at the end of the day I’m at a camp, so I’m happy with that,” Picton said.

“It’s exciting. It feels like all your hard work has come to something, but you understand that really all this is is a job interview now. There is a lot of work ahead. But I’m pleased obviously, I’m excited, I’m ready to go.”

Picton is aware of the hype around Canadian quarterbacks, but it’s not something he wants to get caught up in.

“My job isn’t to start debates. People will talk and it’s great, not to say that I don’t appreciate it, but my job is to go play football whether I’m Canadian or American, that’s really all I’m focused on,” Picton said.

“Going into Toronto I’m not going there with the intention of starting a Canadian quarterback conversation. I just want to go play some good football and show them what I can do. If that conversation gets going, that’s awesome but that’s definitely not my goal.”

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 12:41 PM

Darian Durant to retire

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2018/05/d...etirement.html

I Have Decided to Retire from Football
May 11, 2018

To CFL, my former teammates, coaches, and to all the guys I’ve battled against over the past 12 years: I just want to say thank you. Thank you for helping me develop into the man I am today. So many life lessons have been learnt throughout this football journey. With that being said, I have decided to retire from football.

I have some opportunities away from the field that will allow me to transition smoothly into the next stage of my life. I also became a father earlier this year and I being able to see my daughter grow up day-by-day has played a big part in this decision.

Last but not least, to my fans in Ridernation: If you cut me open, I am sure that I would bleed green. Saskatchewan and Regina will always be home. I always strived to be a Rider legend, and I am honoured to be spoken of in the company of George, Ron, Roger & Gene! I named my daughter Amayah Taylor, after Taylor Field. It meant so much to me to be able to play in the last game at “old” Mosaic Stadium. It’s also very fitting to me that I played the last game of career in Regina last fall, and was able to see and hear the fans one last time from the playing field. I look forward to one day showing my family around Regina, and showing my daughter where her father won a championship in front of Ridernation on “Taylor” Field.

I hope to return and visit Saskatchewan sometime soon, and am working on launching a foundation to help raise funds and give back to the community that has given me so much.

Love you always,
Darian

www.dariandurant.com

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 1:54 PM

^ Good riddance! A dude who waits until barely a week before training camp to retire tells you everything you need to know about his character.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good riddance! A dude who waits until barely a week before training camp to retire tells you everything you need to know about his character.
I think the addition of Chris Streveler from South Dakota probably made Durant nervous about his chances as backup this year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4187261/w...ack-to-roster/

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Knowing that it won't change your mind, Durant and LaPolice are very close and I'm sure the two (along with O'Shea) have been chatting about this for awhile. This will not be out of the blue.

Just my thoughts though, not worth a hill of beans in the big scheme of things.

Update:
According to Dave Naylor(via the Bombers) he did not inform the Bombers and will not return any of the 70k signing bonus.

Well well well.
Now to be fair, how many players have been let go prior to being due a bonus?

Last edited by VANRIDERFAN; May 11, 2018 at 4:29 PM. Reason: New info

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:42 PM

^ You might be right, perhaps it was just a face-saving gesture.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
^ You might be right, perhaps it was just a face-saving gesture.
Going out on your own terms vice getting cut. I know which way I would go!

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:08 PM

Taking a bonus with him as well - fair play to him

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada