HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
I do think it deserves mentioning that there is already about 4-5 airport hotels under construction or almost done. This is in addition to the ones we already have in the area. Some of them are quite large (Doubletree, Crowne Plaza, Hilton, etc.)

I'm not sure one right off site would standout anymore than any of the others. Not to mention who wants to willingly stay by airport? It's not like we have that many connections, yet.

On the flipside, with the new airport and it's consolidated security area, I wouldn't be surprised to see more connections given the ability to move more freely between the gates.
I've gotten stuck overnight during layovers before and once stayed just off-site at a hotel not technically connected to the airport but down an access road like this one would be. I would have preferred being connected directly, but I didn't really mind it that much. I think being right at the entrance road will be an advantage over the others that are down the road and around a block. And also the new terminal should encourage more connecting flights (crossing my fingers at least).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
I've gotten stuck overnight during layovers before and once stayed just off-site at a hotel not technically connected to the airport but down an access road like this one would be. I would have preferred being connected directly, but I didn't really mind it that much. I think being right at the entrance road will be an advantage over the others that are down the road and around a block. And also the new terminal should encourage more connecting flights (crossing my fingers at least).
I think given the response of the previous rfp.. this is smartest move going forward plus they need the extra parking for the airport

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:46 PM

New Construction

Hi Tennis,

Can you tell me what's going up in the 2900 block of General Degaulle off Sandra Dr. Looks like a quick service restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:27 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Hi Tennis,

Can you tell me what's going up in the 2900 block of General Degaulle off Sandra Dr. Looks like a quick service restaurant.
2908 General De Gaulle Drive·Variance · Project # BZA063-16 ·Ref Code: SJTJ1B
Download (23) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Variance
Applicant:
General Degaulle Drive Algiers Healthcar
Plans Reviewed (BZA)
Date Filed:
7/29/2016
Closed:
Yes
Description
Request Citation: This request is for variances from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.3.A.2 (a) Request: This request is to permit the construction of a medical clinic with an excessive front yard setback requirement. Requested Waivers: Section 15.3.A.2 (a) – Front Yard Build-to Line Requirement Required: 20 ft. Provided: 34 ft. Waiver: 14 ft.

3054-3070 General De Gaulle Dr·Conditional Use · Project #ZD044-17 ·Ref Code: GCCQ22
Download (6) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Conditional Use
Applicant:
El-Jaouhari LLC
Public Hearing Notice
Date Filed:
4/3/2017
Closed:
No
Description
Request by El-Jaouhari, LLC for conditional uses to permit a mini-warehouse, a fast food restaurant, and retail sales of packaged alcoholic beverages in a C-2 Auto-Oriented Commercial District, an SC Suburban Corridor Use Restriction Overlay District, and a CT Corridor Transformation, Design Overlay District, on an undesignated square, Lots B and A-3, Victory Drive Plaza, Subdivision, bounded by General De Gaulle Drive, Sandra Drive, and Life Center Drive, in the Fifth Municipal District. The municipal addresses are 3054-3070 General De Gaulle Drive. (PD 12)

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 26, 2017 at 4:48 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
1. I agree with the others that the hotel should be connected, otherwise, what's the advantage of building a new hotel?

2. Can someone with expertise tell me if there can ever be an East terminal addition to the main terminal, or has the airport built too closely to the runway for that to ever happen? It seems strange not to allow space for that.
That is my question as well on Number 2. Where will the airport grow if we need to add more gates. Especially if we just added 5 more. How many gates can the new airport really handle?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
That is my question as well on Number 2. Where will the airport grow if we need to add more gates. Especially if we just added 5 more. How many gates can the new airport really handle?
The plans is to add another concourse to the west where the current remain overnight will be ... but after that they would be out of room. So basically the third full length concourse would extend out from the five gate addition the airport added and would be parallel to the other two. Eventually the airport may have to relocate the Atlantic aviation facility to south side

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 2:48 PM
TL;DR

Oops, I confused Jeff Davis with Molly Marine. Not a good time to be a statue in this city.

Quote:
Totally agree. In fact, I'd gather that most people didn't even know Liberty Place existed. Maybe it would be a cool place for an elaborate water structure? I'm not sure what else could work there?

But the remaining 3 sites will look barren without monuments on them.
I don't think Liberty Place is actually a location, just a name that sounded good at the time to the White League. The fighting mostly occurred on Canal Street up and down between the waterfront and Claiborne. You've got white Protestant "Americans" from uptown and the parishes (the White League) coming to stage a coup for the Democrats in support of the old antebellum order, and free blacks and Creoles from downtown fighting in support of the Reconstructionist Republican government that was in power at the time.

The White League eventually got their wish when President Hayes abandoned the South in 1877, so they got to write the history and picked a name for the battle (Liberty Place) that sounded grandiose.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:24 PM

Dave & Busters sign is going up as we speak. Maybe they are closer than it appears?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:47 PM
-

Quote:
Dave & Busters sign is going up as we speak. Maybe they are closer than it appears?
I got an invite to vip party may 18th. so they def have to make that... i wouldnt expect all the ground floor shell space or retail to be ready for that though

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I saw it rolling down Poydras from my office.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
I saw it rolling down Poydras from my office.
the sign was rolling down poydras on a truck or something?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:12 PM

So can we consider the 1031 Canal St. condos a dead project? Haven't heard anything about it for months.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoTX View Post
So can we consider the 1031 Canal St. condos a dead project? Haven't heard anything about it for months.
They're moving very slowly, but I don't think it's dead. Last I passed the site they were driving piles.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oops, I confused Jeff Davis with Molly Marine. Not a good time to be a statue in this city.

I don't think Liberty Place is actually a location, just a name that sounded good at the time to the White League. The fighting mostly occurred on Canal Street up and down between the waterfront and Claiborne. You've got white Protestant "Americans" from uptown and the parishes (the White League) coming to stage a coup for the Democrats in support of the old antebellum order, and free blacks and Creoles from downtown fighting in support of the Reconstructionist Republican government that was in power at the time.

The White League eventually got their wish when President Hayes abandoned the South in 1877, so they got to write the history and picked a name for the battle (Liberty Place) that sounded grandiose.
Thanks. I actually passed by Elk yesterday and saw Molly Marine for the first time. Never knew she was there.

For the airport, old concourse D will remain for charter flights- so I guess if the airport outgrows the two new concourses and an addition, and the runway system allows it (maybe with a new runway in St. Charles Parish), we could see some non-charter operations on the south side again. Not the best solution but could work. The time frame for that being needed is almost certainly decades.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
They're moving very slowly, but I don't think it's dead. Last I passed the site they were driving piles.
Just curious, how long ago did you pass the site?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 10:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightech1217 View Post
Just curious, how long ago did you pass the site?
I think they do a little work everyone once in a while to keep the permit active

Basically if they ask for a full permit extension the city can demand something's

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
the sign was rolling down poydras on a truck or something?
Yeah. It was on a flatbed truck, in two pieces.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:17 PM

Some interesting possibilities for what will become Tricentenial Circle below. But a soccer field?! I think both those for and against removal can agree that having our youth kicking balls around in the middle of a busy traffic circle is a real smart idea.... haha. Regardless, I'd like to still see something of height in that location.

"Landrieu said he sees only six options for the space:

post an American flag in the center and call it Lincoln Circle
install a natural gas flame to commemorate all lives lost in all battles in history
make the area into a field for soccer or other activities; remove the statue and leave the pedestal and other elements in place
turn the space into something "spectacularly different" involving water, light and metal to commemorate the city's 300th anniversary
remove the statue but leave the pedestal and other elements as they are
replace the monument with a beautiful fountain and public art to create a Tricentennial Circle"

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...r_orleans_news

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 12:33 AM
TL;DR

^ well, it was used for baseball games in the 1800s before the Lee Monument was erected. It also held a carousel at one point.

IMO it should go back to its old name of Tivoli Circle (or 'Li Circle for short).

Honestly if they could do something similar to Logan Square in Chicago, that would be ideal. Get rid of the knoll that the monument sits on and flatten the site, then make the remaining area into a park/plaza space with big shade trees, ideally with a tasteful concession stand. People could picnic or lie in the grass.

The monument column itself is a nice focal point and can be seen from many blocks away (which is important in a city) but it would be strange to divorce it from its original meaning.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Anyways... the airport plans seem to indicate a new two lane each direction divided road running parallel to Aberdeen street ... my question is how they are going to tie into existing interstate exit . That exits completely inadequate for traffic as is so I'm wondering how they will make it work with extra traffic
Well, if the state ever gets their s*** together there will eventually be a "Y-interchange" built overlapping the current Loyola interchange, allowing airport traffic to bypass Loyola and Vets altogether. In the meantime new signal timings and roadway stripping are being designed to move traffic through the current configuration onto the new access road. I work for one of the firms responsible for this part of the project and trust me when I say it's a disaster. It's almost as if the department of transportation wants this thing to fail. The structural design and traffic studies were not even initiated until the terminal was well underway. Apparently, while the city was planning and trying secure funding the state was sitting back betting on whether or not it would actually happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations