HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

One Bayfront Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Miami Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 1:05 PM

My guess is this is a buiding that they have always planned on doing 5 to 10 years from now. But now Miami has a new zoning code scheduled (Miami21) to come up for a vote in the next month or so which would have caused a hefty redesign of the ground level components (especially parking) so FECR had to get OBP fully permitted now so it gets grandfathered in with the new code. Now they just have to do a little bit of work every couple of years or so (like slow demolition work) to keep the permit active until they are actually ready to build the thing.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 7:20 PM

Sometimes I Wonder If Miami21 Is A Good Thing

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 7:24 PM

FECR RECEIVES MUSP APPROVAL FOR ONE BAYFRONT PLAZA

Landmark project to be Miami’s tallest building

MIAMI, Fla. (July 25, 2007) – Florida East Coast Realty, Inc. (FECR) has received the City of Miami Major Use Special Permit (MUSP) for One Bayfront Plaza, a $1.8 billion development to include two 70 -story mixed-use towers at 100 S. Biscayne Blvd. in downtown Miami. The combined project will comprise two million square feet of rentable office space, 112,000 square feet of retail space and a four-star convention hotel with 850 rooms and 120,000 square feet of exhibition and banquet facilities overlooking Biscayne Bay and Bayfront Park. The property is to break ground in 2011 and should take approximately three years to build.

The signature design by TERRA Architecture will be matched only by the building’s size; the tower is poised to be the tallest building in Miami, at 1,049 feet. Unique will be its steel structure with fluid dampers to absorb wind gusts and its Green designation by LEED. It will also be the first hotel to be built north of the Miami River in 25 years.

“We have a vision for an icon,” said Tibor Hollo, Miami business and community leader and FECR company chairman and president. “As part of my legacy, I want to leave this city with a high-profile building on par with the Chrysler building in New York or the Sears Tower in Chicago, a tower that is home to major banks and law firms.”

Philip Dahan, FECR vice president, added, “MUSP approval confirms that the municipality recognizes the need for downtown to have a signature building that is functional in its multi uses. The futuristic features, pedestrian bridge and minimal environmental and traffic impact will all contribute to a new way of life for this city.”

FECR is also currently developing 2020 Ponce, a premier office condominium in downtown Coral Gables.

FECR was founded 55 years ago and is now co-managed by Hollo’s two sons, Jerome and Wayne. Since inception, FECR has built over 55 million square feet of landmark residential, commercial, industrial, and governmental properties and marinas. Among them are Rivergate Plaza, a mixed-use office tower in Brickell; Opera Tower; Bay Parc Plaza, downtown's premier rental building; and The Club at Brickell Bay. Hollo is also hailed for the development of a significant portion of the Venetia/Grand area, now part of the Arts District, just north of downtown Miami.

A community and business leader that has been integral in changing Miami’s skyline, Hollo was recently honored by the House of Representatives for his contribution to Miami’s growth. In 2006, Catholic Charities Legal Services and the Archdiocese of Miami presented Hollo with the New American Award, which recognizes individual immigrants’ contributions to society; and Florida East Coast Realty was honored by “South Florida CEO” magazine as Best Condo Developer.

FECR is headquartered at 100 South Biscayne Blvd, Suite 900, Miami, FL 33131. Tel: (305) 358-7710. For more information, visit www.fecr.com.
###

Bayfront plaza is the tallest building in this picture and the orange buildings are under construction.

Last edited by GREGGYMIAMI305; Aug 18, 2007 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 3:14 PM

Maybe I misread, but is the Terra group in this as well. Because Terra group does not play around. They get stuff done and with Tibor it would be great news for this building. But we'll see. Met3 keeps jerking us around.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 2:49 AM

Director what do you mean MET 3 is jeking us around i thought they already started construction on that project. PLease let me know something i dont know.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 2:28 AM

there is an 800'+ hotel behind One Bayfront. I know there is a rendering out there at SSC that had all the schematics for both buildings. Basically a 1000' and 800' on the same lot. Pretty impressive if you ask me. If all the buildings in just that area get built we are looking at 4 over 600' (Dupont x 2, Met 2 and BofA), one over 700' (Wachie), two over 800' (Met 3 and the hotel) and one over 1000' (One Bayfront). That's not a bad cluster if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* many off-topic posts deleted *

if you guys want to have a city vs. city bitchfest, go take it somewhere else on the internet. this thread has been about the One Bayfront Plaza project in Miami, and it will remain about the One Bayfront Plaza project in Miami

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 7:33 PM

^ why not? It's not like the towers are going to collapse. Hong Kong, Shanghai and even New York face the same threats and they build skyscrapers too.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 7:48 PM

And I wouldn't say 3 hurricanes in about 40 years is "a yearly basis" either. It always baffles me why midwesterners are so afraid of hurricanes (guess they watch a little too much sensationalized newcasts). When hurricanes hit highrises, they break some windows (no one is generally in them when hurricanes hit by the way), thats it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 8:00 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Which One Bayfront Plaza?

Dave, Emporis.com has the old Kobi Karp redendering of One Bayfronta Plaza. Can we say at this point that it will still be designed by the Terra Group, but with the spire scaled down or has there been a switch back to the Kobi Karp design?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 9:30 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Doesn't even start until 2011? The Human species may have evolved past the internet by the time this thing rises.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 10:03 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Doesn't even start until 2011? The Human species may have evolved past the internet by the time this thing rises.
As I said on SSC, I hope I live to see it, whatever shape it takes. I think the Kobi Karp design on Emporis right now actually goes better with what's already up. The Terra design seems out of place for Miami to me, but I'll take a supertall any way we can get it.

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Oct 4, 2007 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 1:29 PM

Saw in article in the little Coral Gables paper that mentions an observation deck on the top floor...the views from up there would be amazing....!
Damn, I hope this thing gets built...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 3:08 AM

Miami skyline could reach new heights

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miam...ry/434960.html

Miami skyline could reach new heights
By ANDRES VIGLUCCI
You think those new towers rising in downtown Miami are tall?
Well, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Get ready for the Great Leap Upward -- a new class of super-tall skyscrapers that would make those big new high-rises seem like relative pygmies.

Undeterred by the real estate downturn, and aided by a little-noticed relaxation of downtown height limits protecting Miami International Airport's flight paths, two local developers want to take you higher -- over the 1,000-foot threshold, rare heights in the United States outside of New York and Chicago.

On Thursday, the Miami City Commission will consider Maclee Development's proposed Empire World Towers, a pair of rounded residential cloud-busters that would rise 93 stories over Biscayne Boulevard across from Bayside Marketplace. The city's planning board has recommended approval.

Already approved by the commission: veteran Miami developer Tibor Hollo's One Bayfront Plaza, a 1,010-foot glass office tower resembling a twisting, billowing mainsail. The $1.8 billion project, which also includes a shorter hotel tower, would replace an existing 19-story ''high-rise'' at 100 S. Biscayne Blvd., across from Bayfront Park.

Both developers say they fully intend to build. Because of their size and complexity, both projects would take years to design, review, and construct. They wouldn't be finished until the mid-2010s, allowing plenty of time for the sagging market to rebound, the developers say.

Both mega-towers would exceed Miami's current height champ, the 4-year-old, 789-foot Four Seasons Hotel & Tower on Brickell Avenue, by more than 200 feet. That's roughly 20 stories, or what used to be considered a skyscraper in Miami.

`LEGACY'

But why so tall?

''It's begging for it, the site,'' said Hollo, chairman of Florida East Coast Realty, developer of the Omni complex, Venetia and the new Opera Tower. ``We are talking about creating a signature building for the city of Miami. I am laboring here for 52 years, and I wanted to leave a legacy to the city.''

Hollo, 81, says he's spending $35 million on 18 contractors who are working on the plans, including designers Terra Architecture of Coral Gables. So massive is the undertaking that Hollo estimates it will take two years to finish the plans, and as long as two years more for city building officials to review the 8,000-plus pages he expects to generate.

For Maclee chief executive Leon Cohen, going tall is no case of skyscraper envy but of land economics, location and Miami's increasing affinity for urban living.

''We have had to face a lot of resistance to the concept of such a tall building,'' Cohen said. ``Why would anyone want to be up there on the 90th floor?

``It's no longer the Miami you and I knew in 1990. It's metropolitan. There is an opera house nearby, new activity downtown. There is unique interactivity of land and water. People will continue coming here. And there is nowhere else you can be at 1,000 feet and looking directly at the water.''

The $1 billion Empire World Towers, designed by Miami architect Kobi Karp, would wrap around the back and side of the Holiday Inn at Northeast Third Street and Biscayne. Karp said the towers, to be sheathed in blue-green glass to recall Biscayne Bay and connected by three sky bridges, do not strain to be iconic.

''We wanted to keep it simple and sleek and elegant,'' Karp said.

At a time when some local trophy projects have been going to bigger or imported designers, landing such prominent commissions has also been a boon to Karp and Terra principal Ignacio Permuy.

Terra is only 2 years old. Karp's firm, founded in 1996, has extensive projects under way across the world -- including a private city on an island off Belize, a new town in Romania and a monument in Baku, Azerbaijan, that would include the world's tallest flagpole -- but no landmarks of this scope or significance in his hometown. Still, he said he's not taking construction for granted.

''It would be a real honor and pleasure to have these buildings move ahead,'' Karp said. ``Right now, we have to have a kind of wait-and-see attitude.''

OTHER BIG BUILDINGS

If finished today, both towers would be among the 35 tallest in the world, according to Emporis.com, a website that tracks and ranks buildings. Atlanta, Houston, and Los Angeles each have one building taller than 1,000 feet.

But while Empire World Towers would be among the very tallest residential buildings in the United States, it would pale next to the 2,000-foot, 150-floor Chicago Spire, now under way at the mouth of the Chicago River.

And neither Miami mega-tower would approach the height of the world's current tallest, Taipei 101 in Taiwan, which exceeds 1,600 feet.

Until last year, 790 feet was as high as a Miami skyscraper could go because of regulations meant to keep tall buildings from interfering with MIA's flight paths, which go over downtown Miami. Developers and city officials complained that the rules, supported by airlines serving MIA, were overly restrictive.

After long negotiation, airport officials reached a compromise that slightly broadened the area where the tallest buildings would be allowed and increased the top height to 1,010 feet, while lowering heights in some adjacent areas along the Miami River. That means the local rules will more closely mirror federal aviation rules. The Federal Aviation Administration approved the new plan.

''We came to a happy medium,'' said Jose Ramos, chief aviation planner at MIA. ``But 1,010 is it. There will be no requests for variances. The FAA was adamant.''

Designs for both mega-towers are slightly over that threshold. Hollo would like to crown One Bayfront with a 39-foot spire that would bring the building to 1,049 feet. Both must still be reviewed by MIA and the FAA, and the developers said they will comply with height regulations.

If successful, the mega-projects could inspire other super-tall towers nearby, real-estate professionals say.

But areas where current zoning would allow them are limited to Biscayne Boulevard south of Interstate 395 and the West Brickell area, said Miami land-use attorney Lucia Dougherty, who represents Empire World Towers. Since most of the boulevard frontage has new buildings under construction or already approved, it's unlikely to be converted into a forest of super-tall buildings.

The projects have raised few objections aside from concerns over increased traffic. Both are designed to be pedestrian-friendly, concealing massive parking garages and service areas behind screens of shops and offices, and with active storefronts opening to sidewalks. Hollo's project would be certified as green.

''I'm not going for the tallest building,'' Hollo said. ``I was looking for a lasting design. I'm hoping, I am trusting, we have done that.''

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 10:03 PM

I definetly prefer this tower over Empire, because the fact it actually looks good. Empire World towers, I honestly don't see it happening, the market in Miami has to still sell all those extra units people bailed on.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:28 AM

I don't think the developers of Empire really care what the market looks like or not...they wouldn't be pushing to build it if they did...I don't think any developer cares in miami period. whatever the market looks like isn't really changing whats happening. they are still building...I guess they know by the time they get to building these towers and completing them which would take years. the market will be differnent. like it's always been the case down here.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:21 AM

Borings have been completed as engineers begin to work on determining the proper foundation for the structure:

http://www.hotelinteractive.com/arti...rticleid=11296

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:16 AM

^ thanks for the article & update MAH but wow 4 years until construction! I wonder if Tibor Hollo would even be alive by then!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 3:04 AM
Endless Moments...

Hmm well its good to hear something is happening. 4 years will go by fast, just watch. In no time soon it will be time for another olympics and election and a new tower in Miami...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 11:38 AM

Miami needs its signature tall building that defines the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals