HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Seattle Times Editorial Board Flunks Geometry:
https://www.seattletransitblog.com/2...unks-geometry/

Don't let the title fool you. This is mostly a very good post on the efficiency of public transit as compared to roads.
Having lived/spent time in a few major cities in both in the US and abroad, mass transit efficiency seems to vary. Personally I think it should be built up in every urban area, especially light & regional rail. However, it really depends on how the government implements it and the local population's willingness to use it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:08 PM

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 11:09 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

...onto the next idea.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
...onto the next idea.
More trouble for the SW Loop...Those freaks will never give up!!!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
...onto the next idea.
It's sad that all the transportation woes is right in front of there faces. Why any investment towards expanding our commuter rail is baffling. Also whatever happened to the plan of capping off 35? Let's get our grid back!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Finally found the report after some googling

https://lintvkxan.files.wordpress.co...osal-final.pdf

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 1:20 PM

The Statesman has a drone's eye view through the two U/C tunnels that will connect MoPac to downtown.

http://video.statesman.com/Drone-foo...aylistId=15517

Giant stills from the video:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:51 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Statesman has a drone's eye view through the two U/C tunnels that will connect MoPac to downtown.

http://video.statesman.com/Drone-foo...aylistId=15517

Giant stills from the video:

Interesting, didnt even know there was going to be a tunnel. Any graphic out there that shows how this will look when complete? Ariel view?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Interesting, didnt even know there was going to be a tunnel. Any graphic out there that shows how this will look when complete? Ariel view?
The tunnels are a big part of why this project is super delayed.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
The tunnels are a big part of why this project is super delayed.

Yea. The bid they went with thought this would somehow save money. It's a great idea and works well. I'm glad to see Austin moving forward with road tunnels but they ended up having a lot of problems digging it. I think they found limestone, some spider nest and maybe utilities? I can't remember.

I love the final design of this project and I think it's going to be great. I think about all of the people on mopac everyday that don't drive it on a regular basis that would use the toll lane since it's a 1 time thing. I think about the people who might start using buses because it's faster.

This has just been a giant lesson for CAMPO about going with the lowest bidder and it brings to mind if Austin has the contractor support for massive projects like this. The company that was working on finishing the direct connectors on southmopac and 71 went bankrupt.

I can't see the southbound lane opening up until the end of the year. They have barley started work on some sections between where the train tracks move to the highway medium to a little past camp Mabry. There are sound walls that haven't been built and utility polls still standing where the wall will be.

It's a huge contrast with how quickly they are moving on 183 in east austin but that might be because they have so much open land to work with.

It's great to see all the money coming in for various projects in Austin. I think the work on fixing up 360 will renew faith from the people in west austin in the area's ability to focus on transportation outside of the city core. I think a lot of people will be happy when the finish fixing up the 35 N to 183 N ramp.

Moving the 35 work north up to Riverside is great to see particularly the new bridge for Riverside which is necessary for future rail if Austin chooses to go down that path again.

Overall, the city is moving in the right direction. Just some road bumps along the way.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:55 AM
World Traveler

Forgive a potentially ignorant question from someone who lives around 8,000 miles away and isn't up to speed on some details of this project...

What purpose do these tunnels serve? Is it an access road bypass or something like that (a la the Parmer bypass or I-35 access road bypass under 1431)? Or is it another purpose?

This is one project I've heard lots of complaints about due to delays, but I'm not really privy to the details.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Forgive a potentially ignorant question from someone who lives around 8,000 miles away and isn't up to speed on some details of this project...

What purpose do these tunnels serve? Is it an access road bypass or something like that (a la the Parmer bypass or I-35 access road bypass under 1431)? Or is it another purpose?

This is one project I've heard lots of complaints about due to delays, but I'm not really privy to the details.
The original plans called for flyovers, but the tunnels were chosen because those NIMBYs who don't like anything tall raised objections. The southern extension of the MoPac toll lanes is facing the same objection over a flyover.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:24 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The original plans called for flyovers, but the tunnels were chosen because those NIMBYs who don't like anything tall raised objections. The southern extension of the MoPac toll lanes is facing the same objection over a flyover.
Yeah, and I hope that a non-flyover alternative is approved. Flyovers are nasty infrastructure and should be saved for the suburbs not the urban core.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Who's saying they wouldn't see a return on investment? They will have seen 7 years of (presumably) increased ridership in the corridor (unless you're M1EK, who thinks there will be no improvement. And that's 7 years with no construction delays, and if you think exclusive running in the Guadalupe corridor will take the same amount of time to construct as non-exclusive running up to Mueller (probably longer, which is why I say ~10). Plus the return on investment in the 75% of metrorapid which _isn't_ in that corridor.
Hi, guys! Remember this quote? I do!

Anybody want to guess how ridership's done since rapid went in?

(Brief hit-and-run visit, again prompted by a search for something, bringing up yet another prediction from one of my favorite folks who's somehow never held to account for it. You know where to find me.).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
Anybody want to guess how ridership's done since rapid went in?
A lot better than anywhere else in the system. And a lot better than _before_ metrorapid (the corridor was hemorrhaging ridership before MR).

And that's with the huge (250% to 350%) price increases.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
A lot better than anywhere else in the system. And a lot better than _before_ metrorapid (the corridor was hemorrhaging ridership before MR).
That's the exact opposite of what Cap Metro admitted to at the time in public to the media - which was, specifically, a disproportionate decline in ridership. Feel free to call them liars if you must. I'm out, until the rules here change enough to make it worth regular participation.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
That's the exact opposite of what Cap Metro admitted to at the time in public to the media - which was, specifically, a disproportionate decline in ridership.
Nope. You keep claiming this, and then failing to provide the link/quote. Come one, it can't be that hard, if they "admitted to at the time in public to the media". There's got to be at least one quote.

If you look at the _actual numbers_ (which CapMetro does provide), it's the exact opposite. The overall system decline is much worse than Metrorapid (which has been basically flat).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:46 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
A lot better than anywhere else in the system.
And that's with the huge (250% to 350%) price increases.
Latest FY2017 first Quarter data...
http://capmetrotx.iqm2.com/Citizens/...MeetingID=1651

MetroRapid
Year - Q1 - Q2 - Q3 - Q4
2014 - xxxxxx - 281,645 - 428,759 - 555,097
2015 - 710,593 - 686,711 - 659,573 - 683,478
2016 - 699,109 - 692,814 - 641,821 - 678,912
2017 - 708,113 - xxxxxx - xxxxxx - xxxxxx
3rd quarter data always less than 2nd and 4th quarters, should be expected for the summer months with less UT students around. Return of regular fares for MetroRapid started 2nd quarter 2017, it'll be interesting to see how the lower fares will affect ridership.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 6:05 PM

I love the Transportation thread. It's where the data guys come to duke it out. It's like Transportation Thunderdome.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Nope. You keep claiming this, and then failing to provide the link/quote. Come one, it can't be that hard, if they "admitted to at the time in public to the media". There's got to be at least one quote.

If you look at the _actual numbers_ (which CapMetro does provide), it's the exact opposite. The overall system decline is much worse than Metrorapid (which has been basically flat).
So here's the "at time in the public to the media".

http://kut.org/post/after-ridership-...pid-bus-system

""We're certainly doing the analysis to figure out as much as we can why ridership has dropped some."

"has dropped some" is a far cry from "Cap Metro admitted ... a disproportionate decline in ridership."

As is "doing an equivalent route comparison, ridership... is 63% higher". Now, that's a little bit of weasely comparison, but the overall messaging "at time in the public to the media" remained positive.

Which was then backed up by actual subsequent results ("at the time" here was a single datapoint and before the 803).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin