HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:13 AM

Downtown construction updates from 8-27-17

The Link Innovation Quarter

Gallery Lofts expansion?? Im assuming this road closure is for that project? I'm not sure.

Bailey Power Plant

Hampton Inn & Suites and future home Kaliedium Science Museum

Hotel Indigo @ the Pepper Building and future site of a 104-room Hyatt Place.

Restoration on Trade St.

Commerce Plaza renovation.

So Happy to see Don Flow's name in downtown. His logo would look great on top of 500 West 5th St.

Public art being installed for Central on 5th grand reopening.

757 North.

West End Station.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:30 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
We have several new projects in this week's update. Maybe we should lead with them? To find new projects, look for on the project name. The name will also be in red for new projects. Completed projects are shown in blue, with a .

I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. I also want to thank historian Fam Brownlee for sharing updates. Without all of you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media. Some photographs, posted to WSTB or social media, on Mondays may not appear on this thread until Tuesday of the following week. If using Twitter or Instagram, don't forget to use #'s, so I can find them. Thank you, again!

A great construction song, on the charts in Spring 1946:
Video Link

Hyatt Place Hotel & Residences:
Mayfair Street Partners will be the developer of a new construction mixed-use building at 312 North Liberty Street. The mixed-use building will combine a new 104-key Hyatt Place Hotel with apartments and office space for Piedmont Federal Bank. How often do you see an office building with hotel rooms on the upper floors? The upper hotel floors will be constructed by Modular Steel Solutions, using modular stack construction with cold-formed steel. This will allow them to build the new building in seven months. Construction is scheduled to begin in Spring 2018. Completion is scheduled for First Quarter 2019.

Old Rendering:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSTB Forum
Whitaker Park Apartments:
An early look at the plans, created by Walter Robbs Architects, for this adaptive-reuse project. It will have 152 apartments.

Credit: k.payne.jr

Joymongers Barrel Hall:
We now have the name of this brewery project. This brewery will use oak fermenters rather than stainless steel and their aging process will use former wine & whiskey barrels. J. Hyatt Hammond Associates is the architect and completion is set for March 2018. Expect to see an industrial vibe, communal tables, and 17 taps. You will be able to see the brewing process from the taproom.

Aviation College:
We finally have a rendering of this project. Construction is set to begin in Fall 2018, with completion set for late-2019. The project is significantly smaller than originally proposed, since they reduced the amount of hanger space. The new building will have more shop and lab space than than originally proposed and is expandable.

Credit: FTCC

Reynolds Athletic Complex: Built!
The first phase of this project is completed. The building now has an open living room, group fitness areas, fitness equipment, places to explore mindfulness, a kitchen for nutrition workshops, massage therapy, social gathering spaces, well-being coaches, and space for well-being activities. Not many photographs, at this time, so no big photography post on the completion. Since a second phase is currently under construction, this project will stay on our construction list.

Credit: WFU

Downtown Marriott and Embassy Suites Renovations:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Central on 5th:
The moment you've waited for is now here! This building will open on Thursday, at 11:00 a.m.,.

This is the library's demonstration kitchen for cooking classes:

Credit: FCPL

Library Cafe:

Credit: foodie.traveler.gal

Reading Garden Sculpture:

Credit: dsw_bham

Reading Garden Sculpture - Library in multiple languages:

Plaza Building & Galleria:
Plans were released for a nearly $3 million renovation of the concrete plaza at this building. The concrete plaza, designed in 1976 by New York City-based Croxton Collaborative Architects, will be redesigned by Little Diversified Architects, with a significant water feature. The plaza will be renamed as a "courtyard." No renderings at this time.

Winston Tower Amenity Space:

"Work coming along on the Crossover amenity space on the 12th floor."

Credit: winstontower

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:

Credit: fades2white

"The last 1000 feet of runway 22"

Credit: flysmithreynolds

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

Three new retail spaces:

Concrete wall panels:

Credit: lambert_dg

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

It's the construction project in the top right corner:

Credit: tim_hutch

WSSU Residence Hall:
I think this is our first construction update on this project?

Credit: wssu.alumni

West End Station:
Forum member CamCityFan, at the WSTB Forum, posted an update last week on this massive 229 unit apartment development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCityFan @ WSTB Forum

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

Credit: uwforsyth

Credit: brittanydstack

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

Credit: mdinwsnc

Credit: xanseye

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
I found several great photographs of this 344 unit apartment and retail development.

"Pouring footings today for Lithko Contracting at the Link Apartments"

Credit: Dr. Tomlinson

Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company: Built!
Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company is now open. The new brewery combines traditional mountain music with great beer and some of Winston-Salem's best food trucks. This new brewery appears to be very popular, as are all of downtown Winston-Salem's breweries. Reports said the brewery is large in size, but was still full, both inside and out! All of the reviews, so far, say their beers are really good, which explains the large crowds.

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Credit: dashley253

Credit: thatguydoub

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Credit: jeremy.glasgow

Credit: virchowous

Off-Subject:

ATP Winston-Salem Open:
Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain won the 2017 Winston-Salem Open. He is ranked the 13th best tennis player in the world on the ATP World Tour.

Roberto Bautista Agut with the Winston-Salem Open Moravian Star Trophy:

Credit: herbolarionavarro

Next year's Winston-Salem Open will featured covered seating, built into the stadium.

Random Photographs:

Credit: pmlynchphotography

Credit: kayleymull

Credit: thewanderinggirlandherchucks

Winston-Salem State University:

Credit: wssu1892

Artwork at a rooftop bar in downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: jeks_nc

University of North Carolina School of the Arts:

Credit: uncsa

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:45 AM
Fourth and Main

I just noticed TwinCity posted photographs. It was at the same time I was assembling Tuesday morning's big update, so I didn't notice it until now. Thank you for sharing updates! I'm always thankful for any help offered with this thread. It's a sample of what this thread would look like if it was updated by someone who lives in Winston-Salem. If I knew you had an update, I would've waited two days to post my update. I think the Seventh Street work is a storm drain project? I noticed 418 North Trade was posted, which is a project we aren't following on this thread. For those following Winston-Salem only on this thread, the owners purchased an historic building that was badly renovated in the 1970s. They are restoring the building to its original appearance, using the top two floors for their downtown dream home and leasing the first floor for retail. If there is a project I'm not posting on, but you would like to follow it, just post it or let me know you would like to see updates on it. I try to post larger projects, so some smaller projects never appear on this thread. The Hampton Inn & Suites project looks bigger than I thought it would. That is likely the biggest surprise, among the current projects.

I may have to post the completed library (Central on 5th) in its own post, this weekend? It's too large to post in the weekly update. The library is open, right now, if you want to see it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:39 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Construction updates from what is unofficially the last week of Summer...
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
You've waited over a year for this and it's our lead project of the week! Abatement/demolition work is over! Workers will start the conversion of this building into a hotel, today. They will begin on the 6th floor.

Credit:melalenz

1794 Boys' School Restoration:
Finally, an update on the 1794 building! This building is 223 years old!

"Vaulted storage room on the lower level of the Boys' School. The overhead hooks once held up shelving."

Credit: oldsaleminc

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
The developer is acquiring demolition permits to demolish the horribly renovated 1928 office building for this new hotel.

Joymongers Barrel Hall:
They have now decided to install 20 taps at this brewery. Mike Rollinson said "We wanted to create something that’s pretty unique for Winston-Salem. There aren’t that many barrel-aging facilities around.” They will have trivia nights, food trucks, and live music. Live music will become a major part of this brewery. They are currently in demolition and expect to start renovations on October 1. Renovations will include skylights and garage doors. The Spanish Revival building was originally a GMC Truck dealership in 1928. This brewery will only brew in smaller batches, so they won't bottle, can, or distribute/wholesale their beers to other restaurants or bars. If you want to try these beers, you have to visit this brewery. Completion is set for February 2018.

Southwest Corner Balcony:

Credit: susantinteriors

Testing:

Closet:

Shower:

Beautiful Fireplace:

Brookstown District:
The developers are finalizing their financing, to begin construction "possibly" on September 25, 2017.

Credit: javaczar

Credit: a1experry

Sunday Night (September 3):

Credit: john_r_photography

View from NCNB Parking Deck:

Credit: it.is.lj

Credit: rammy_4564

Native Camel has more photographs than this, at the WSTB Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel @ WSTB Forum

Casper's Alehouse, Bar, Apartments & Office Space:
414 North Liberty Street will be restored by Mayfair Street Partners to its original historic appearance, with luxury apartments, office space, an upscale restaurant, and a basement speakeasy. Construction could begin in late-2017 and the restaurant could open in September 2018? Casper's New American Alehouse and J.L. Casper's bar are named for a popular downtown Winston-Salem distillery that opened in 1861, selling whiskey across the nation, and closed in 1908, during North Carolina's prohibition. Expect to see vintage decor, a long bar, and upscale but casual American food, with a focus on local, seasonal foods and artisanal cocktails and local craft beers. The menu will include items such as ribs, salmon, steak, oysters, crab legs, rainbow trout, and vegetarian choices. The developer will open their office in this building and is considering making this restaurant & speakeasy a Winston-Salem-based chain, with future locations proposed in Atlanta and Charlotte, for those looking for a taste of Winston-Salem in those cities. This developer loves the historic buildings in Winston-Salem and would like to work on apartment and condo projects in downtown. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Renderings showing their plans for the proposed restaurant & speakeasy:

Credit: Mayfair Street Partners

Basement Speakeasy with Fireplace:

It's designed to have a Victorian appearance:

They want to use exposed brick walls, when possible:

The original Casper's Distillery, on North Liberty Street, in downtown Winston-Salem, in 1894:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

The J.L. Casper's Distillery building was located on North Liberty Street, near Eleventh Street, in downtown Winston-Salem. Their bottles are very popular and expensive collector's items. This company did distribute its products across the nation, as an upscale brand, in unique and sometimes colorful bottles.

Frogman Interactive Headquarters: Built!
This adaptive-reuse project is now completed. I think it was completed a few months ago? Sadly, this creative company didn't share any photographs of the completed office.

500 West Fifth Street:
Sadly, no interior photographs. Don Flow said, he would like to use the sixth floor as "an interesting space open to the public and a gathering spot during the day for people who want to work." Co-work space that is free to use, with no memberships. It could offer food and nice views of the city. Flow wants this skyscraper to be a magnet for young people interested in starting and growing a business. He wants this skyscraper to be the best place in the state to start a business and is working to make it the city's top competitive advantage in attracting startups.

Credit: jsilkstonephotos

LJVM Renovation:

"Fact of the day: Every new scoreboard & construction project requires new frames & brackets."

Credit: ljvmcoliseum

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
Robinson Iron has completed some of the restoration work for this project.

"Restored cast iron grilles for Union Station in Winston-Salem"

Credit: robinson_iron

Alternative Transportation:

Design a Bike Friendly Workplace:
Would you like to design a bike friendly workplace? Visit the Center for Design Innovation, in downtown's IQ District, for BIKEnight on September 6, at 5 p.m.,. They will have a community ride, you can learn about solar bikes, see Winston-Salem's bike infrastructure plans, design a bike rack and charging station, and they will teach you how to design a bike friendly workplace. They also have other activities. It is free, but you need to RSVP with the CDI.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

The glass on this building has nice reflections:

Credit: my_small_wardrobe

Credit: twincityroses

On a cool rainy day, the bike share is well used:

Credit: simplyseton

Credit: jamesvpike

Credit: faded_lens_photography

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:13 AM
Fourth and Main

Central on 5th: Built!
This project is now completed. The new library has everything from a makerspace to cooking classes to an art gallery to a top floor outdoor reading area to a reading garden & outdoor event space to a state history museum to an audio/video production studio to meeting facilities to coding for girls to video game tournaments and so much more. I was a when I was a kid and I loved going to libraries. They allowed me to explore the world, see how things work, and learn about anything I was interested in. I wish libraries were this nice when I was a kid. I would've moved-in.

Many of the out-of-state construction workers commented on how large this new library is.

First, we should look at what was demolished to build the new building:

Credit: blib660

Credit: carolinatbirds

Credit: foodie.traveler.gal

Credit: okellylibrary

Credit: visitwinstonsalem

Taking the elevator from the parking under the building:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Credit: bloggingwhitmom

Cornerstones from demolished library buildings at this site and for the new building:

Winston-Salem has one of the finest public library art collections in the southeast United States. It was donated by the city's wealthy industrialists and financial executives, a long time ago. They also built the city a (now demolished) downtown library with an art gallery, many decades ago. I'm sure most of you didn't know this existed, because it was in storage for so many years. The new library was designed to bring back the art gallery! And you don't have to be in the gallery to see the art. Look for parts of the collection in all areas of the library.

The colorful painting from 1788 is the work of English artist George Romney and the snow painting is Andrew Wyeth:

A video wall waterfall:

Credit: mrjincks

Credit: katiedicksonphoto

Credit: hubertwomack

Credit: Winston-Salem Foundation

The state's best history research center:

Makerspace:

I like these bridges:

The reading garden sculpture and yes, it has lights:

Credit: nomadic_sagittarian

Credit: fifthletter

Demonstration Kitchen:

Credit: skinnerkat.w

Credit: lizzybroughton

Credit: fcplteens

Credit: stimmelpa

Credit: stimmelpa

Credit: nan_larosee

Top floor reading terrace / observation deck:

Credit: blib660

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:44 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Lately, the number of photographs I'm finding, showing construction sites, has declined. Maybe it's the weather? I do need your help to make these updates possible. If usable photographs decline further, I may have to discontinue the big weekly updates. I'm in another state and can't do this on my own. I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

As many of you know, I'm not in North Carolina. I live in one of the metro areas in the path of Irma. With wind, the sound of transformer explosions, rain, cold weather, and multiple power outages... somehow... this was posted! My street and yard are filled with debris and the storm destroyed part of my home's gutters. The last power outage at my house was around 9:30 p.m.,. I still hear the wind & rain, but the update made it through the storm and on-time!

Video Link

Steel arrives on site to construct the canopy:

Credit: hammerhead_built

Science & Office Building:
A local TV station is reporting this is under construction? Completion is set for 2019, according to that story. With this information, I'll move it to our first post construction list.

Credit: Design Collective

Installing new stormwater drains on the terminal apron:

Salem Lake Marina:
This project should be close to completion?

A nice view:

Credit: gregjamesball

Credit: forever_immaculate

Credit: a_mazzocchi

Credit: mywinstonsalem

Yes, Winston-Salem still has a few Victorian Belgian block streets in downtown:

Credit: hbi_mark

Hotel Indigo:
We have updated renderings. The National Park Service will require the developer to keep the metal panels where the transom windows once were located. They have also value-engineered the project, removing the canopy and replacing it with a canvas awning. The original 1928 manual elevator will be trashed, but they will keep the original elevator doors and reuse them somewhere in the lobby? In these renderings, we can see more details on the addition for the kitchen, stairs, and mechanical equipment. They are also taking advantage of the 21 foot (6.4 metre) lobby ceilings to add another floor. The building will have 7-8 floors above the sidewalk, depending on what you count. The large penthouse on the southwest corner would be the 8th floor. The third floor (formerly the second floor) will be raised by 21 inches (535 millimetres) to install HVAC equipment. The original maple floors for the third floor will be used to repair the maple floors on the upper floors. So, hotel rooms on the third floor will have lower floor-to-ceiling heights and different floor coverings from the rooms on the hotel's other floors. They will also install more windows and larger windows on the building's south elevation.

Liberty Street Elevation:

Fourth Street Elevation:

The addition and changes to the South Elevation:

The lobby, showing the restaurant & bar:

The floor they are adding:

A look at the bar area and the new floor:

Wake Forest University had Highest Bar Exam Passage Rate in N.C.:
Passage rates for the July 2017 Bar Exam in North Carolina are: Wake Forest University at 86.3%, Duke University at 84.2%, Campbell at 81.3%, UNC at 80.6%, N.C. Central at 53.7%, and Elon at 44.3%. If you're thinking of going to law school in North Carolina, you should strongly consider Wake Forest University School of Law.

A permit was pulled to construct the North Tower Crane, yesterday. This tower crane is said to be 190 feet (58 metres) tall. The construction site for this building will have two tower cranes.

Credit: Wake Downtown

Credit: nogodsnomonsters

Credit: jeremythorne

Credit: wsambassadors

Stevens Center Apartments:
Wiley Hausam will lead renovations at the historic 1928 Stevens Center in downtown Winston-Salem. He told YES! Weekly “I’m looking forward to joining UNCSA and coming to Winston-Salem, which has such a rich history of arts and culture.” Hausam is president of Hausam Arts LLC, and previously held the positions of senior artistic advisor and artistic and executive director at The Broad Stage at Santa Monica College, executive director of Stanford Live and Bing Concert Hall at Stanford University, executive director of The Performing Arts Center at Purchase College (State University of New York), and executive director of the Jack H. Skirball Center for the Performing Arts at New York University. Lindsay Bierman said Wiley has experience launching world-class performance facilities at New York University and Stanford University. A top priority will be the revitalization of the historic Stevens Center.

LJVM Renovation:

It's on the left: (It's interesting to see Third Street end at a church)

Credit: lintornado

Passageway Park:
Phase II construction is about to start. Construction workers will add the lighting, landscaping, and furniture.

Credit: osgoodla.inc

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)

Credit: bartscollection

Off-Subject:

Quarry Park:
Remember when I said the park had remnants of old mining equipment as preserved artifacts? I finally found a photograph of one of them.

Credit: ethan_farmer17

Random Photographs:

Skyscraper views from the top floor reading terrace at the new downtown library:

Credit: kilo.delta.romeo

Credit: faithhiee__

Credit: foxtographic

Credit: emiekilljoy

The watchmaker:

Credit: davidbeesknees

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:18 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Video Link

This is the last week of summer. Enjoy the warm weather and be sure to see your favorite construction projects!

Morris Building:

Shah Basketball Complex:

NBA star Chris Paul looking at the construction site:

Credit: wfunews

Removing old fuel pipes from the apron and installing storm water pipes:

Best Milkshakes in North Carolina:
According to Cosmopolitan Magazine, downtown Winston-Salem's Burger Batch has the best milkshakes in North Carolina. They are on Fifth Street, next to the Convention Center, if you're interested in trying one of their milkshakes.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/food-coc...tate/?slide=33

It's on the far left:

Credit: memeinator3000

Credit: _ashleylaren_

Gallery Lofts II:
This 50 unit apartment building was printed on a 3D printer. Could it be a model of this project? I don't know? It may not be? I do know the numbers seem to match for this unidentified project and Gallery Lofts II. Maybe we will see an official rendering, soon? Until then, this is an interesting "maybe" for this project.

Credit: BBMArchitecture

418 North Marshall Street:
Workers removed precast panels from the 1982 building, so they can add more windows. Completion of this adaptive-reuse project is set for early November. It will become an office building.

Hotel Indigo:
Sefira Capital of Miami has purchased this building and will partner with Mayfair to develop the property into a hotel Indigo and upscale restaurant & bar. They have permits, as of Friday (September 15), and construction on the hotel conversion has already started.

Credit: sarcasm_4_free

Link Apartments Innovation quarter:
BB+M Architecture said: "Today's palette derives from all things bold and urban for the LINK brand's newest venture in Winston-Salem. Bold patterns, big textures, catch-your-eye metallics, and pops of color are all fair game! Stay tuned to see more of this project as it continues through the design process!"

Credit: BBMArchitecture

Credit: sarcasm_4_free

Credit: tvaden

See the work around the smokestack (restaurant's outdoor space):

Credit: Wake Downtown

The Bath Waterway creates fog over downtown:

Credit: smithss_27106

Credit: smithss_27106

Downtown Embassy Suites Renovation:
This hotel was sold to Premier Management, which owns convention hotels in the southeast, and will be their first hotel in North Carolina. They are proposing a $9 million renovation.

Hospitality Ventures Management Group is spending $20 million on a major renovation of the Marriott Hotel, across the street, to be completed in April 2018. The Twin City Quarter should be impressive, when all of these construction projects are completed.

Credit: directoraustinabdo

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: vargmoder

Credit: zigzagaroundtheworld

Credit: guitartisan

Credit: wellswt_

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 6:03 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Would you like to get to know Winston-Salem? You're looking at this thread, so the answer must be yes!
Video Link

That song is one year older than me.

An update on the three retail spaces at Twin City Lofts. Beautiful work by Viator Design & Construction!

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Imagine how this will look when the condominiums are filled and the three retail spaces have people around them:

Credit: Reid Hinsley

A look at the back side, with Winston Square Park:

Credit: ziavino

That festival brought more than 20,000 people to downtown. And it will be in your backyard, next year, if you bought a condominium in Twin City Lofts.

Credit: hispanicleague

Credit: linvilleteam

Ziggy's Space:
The large live music venue, at 170 West Ninth Street, is leased and will reopen as a new live music venue. A rumor on WSTB said Live Nation is involved.

Yes, Winston-Salem still has its original Streamline Art Moderne airport terminal:

Credit: pokeync

The Mexican restaurant is almost clad and the glass is in place. They also poured the exterior walls, last week. I'm not sure why they removed half of the windows from the projection?

Half of the windows in the projection were removed, but a tree is covering it in this image:

Credit: 3kidsl

From the Sowing Seeds Festival - We can see the projection's removed windows in this image, but it is from a distance:

Credit: juxtapositionstudios

A tree is still blocking the view (far right side of image below):

Credit: WakePMCC

A look at the back side of the building:

Credit: jessekeever

Hotel Indigo:

View of the Hotel Indigo project from the window of another hotel, across the square:

Credit: christenicole

Credit: jacksoncarawan

Credit: tucker_smith01

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:
I really wish they would build this in phases. Most large projects do build in phases.

Credit: moecovann

No photographs of the restoration, but we do have a photograph of the two reconstructions, behind the school.

Credit: vieuxplace

Joymongers Barrel Hall:
Aubrey spoke with the brewery's owners, last week. According to the owners of this brewery, this is a very rare type of brewery. "There are just a handful of breweries with dedicated barrel aging locations in the whole country, in the whole world even; so Winston-Salem is going to have something that very few other cities have." The new brewery will also have infusions. As for the building, it should open in Spring 2018. Expect to see a major restoration of the building. They will remove the stucco to reveal the original brick. They will also have communal tables, a few smaller tables, a massive bar, and a high-end sound system for live music.

Construction workers have closed the plaza and are ready to begin construction on a $2.8 million upgrade of the outdoor space.

Morris Building: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

Credit: tianen.liu

BH Media Printing Plant Expansion: Built!
This project is now completed. We didn't have many photographs of the work and we don't have any of the completed project. BH Media will increase employment in this Fifth Street building by 33%.

Downtown Marriott Renovation:

Credit: it.is.lj

Link Apartments Downtown:
The property was split, allowing Grubb Properties to buy the south end of the site and to seek demolition permits for the 1951 Security Life & Trust Building. That building will be replaced with a new construction 225 unit apartment and retail building with 182 parking spaces. The space between the 21-storey former Integon Insurance Tower (currently under renovation) and this new apartment building will have a linear dog park, a pocket park, and transformers. It does appear as if the 21-storey tower will have an entrance from this side, when their renovation is completed in January?

Credit: juanoantonio

Renderings and details were shared last week for the $35.2 million renovation to the building's performing arts center, designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects and DLR Group. The renovation will reduce the number of seats by 342. The Stevens Center will become the city's fourth largest performance venue, after the renovation. It will also add a third seating level. Renovations will add a necklace-style mezzanine of modular boxes and street-level access for orchestra-level seats. Their plans will add significantly more room throughout the building. It will also increase the size of the lobby. The plans will convert a run-down and crumbling building into a world-class performing arts center. According to the TBJ, the performing arts center part of the project is likely a year away from starting construction and requires seeking funding from the state, federal government, city, county, and foundations, as well as donations from individuals and corporations. UNC School of the Arts would like to take a leadership role in branding and development of a new downtown theatre district. They would like for the Theatre District to be to the west side of downtown what the IQ District (an innovation district) is to the east side of downtown. A major driver of economic development and growth from the arts. While we still haven't heard anything on the apartments part of the project, we will see construction begin this week on the terra cotta facade, which is separate from the theatre project. There are also plans to add lights to the top of the building, so the top two floors will glow on the city's skyline. This will be part restoration and part renovation. The entire project could reach $75-85 million, including the apartments?

Theatre Renovation Rendering:

Credit: Robert A.M. Stern Architects

The 1928 Theatre's Current Appearance:

Credit: Iron Pixel

A look at the building:

Credit: jrbozzy

The cores are rising:

Credit: sbambid2

Credit: jessekeever

LJVM Renovation:

360 Ribbon Board Installation:

Corner Board Installation:

This photograph is from September 23:

Credit: dperspectiv

This is the shortest side of the three storey building and shows how rough the city's terrain is:

Credit: aekidd2

Credit: aekidd2

Off-Subject:

Did you know there is an honorary Pride Winston-Salem Way in downtown for the Gay Pride Winston-Salem organization and their parade :

Credit: aaplfanboy1981

Random Photographs:

Credit: triadhotspots

Winston-Salem is known for its unusual custom bicycles:

Credit: fwpubwsnc

Credit: kira.be.yoga

Credit: homenc

According to the NRHP, these rowhouse buildings were constructed between 1907 and 1912 (Permits say the renovation was in 2001-2002?):

Protect water, air, & climate:

Credit: hispanicleague

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 5:42 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Stevens Center Renovation:
This is now a new and different project compared to what we have previously talked about, over the past two years. So, I'll change the name of the project to something that better reflects what they are doing (until we have an official name) and label it as new. Architect Robert A.M. Stern is proposing to recreate the original entrances, recreate the 1928 marquee/canopy, recreate the original 1928 theatre blade sign, recreate the original facade where the window wall is located, and he is proposing a change to the second and third floor windows, along with a faux balcony in the middle of the facade. The lobby will be three times larger than what you see today. A decision was also made to convert the upper floors of the tower into graduate student housing, guest artist housing, and some offices. So, the tower will become a tall downtown dormitory for the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. Having some of the best young artists in the world living in the middle of downtown Winston-Salem is great news! This university would like for this side of downtown to become a center of arts and arts-based entrepreneurs. This project is their first step toward that goal.

https://www.uncsa.edu/news/20170922-...n-concept.aspx

We now have a view looking in the other direction of the theatre:

Credit: UNCSA / Robert A.M. Stern Architects

Before (left) and After (right), showing the facade changes:

Credit: UNCSA / Robert A.M. Stern Architects

Forsyth County has appropriated $3 million to build infrastructure improvements and acquire an easement at the Bailey Power Plant adaptive-reuse project. The reason half of the windows in the east facade projection were removed: They needed a way to lift large construction materials into the building. Workers are lifting construction materials from flatbed trailers into that opening.

You may want to visit Bailey Park, on October 6 at 8 p.m., to see the documentary film "Urbanized" by Gary Hustwit. It's free and presented by the Winston-Salem AIA. If you go, please photograph the power plant and link apartments for our thread.

This awesome photograph shows the windows removed from the projection, the entrance, and the restaurant space:

Credit: smallbusinesscenterforsyth

Progress on the arbor around the smokestack: (This will become an outdoor area for the second restaurant space)

Credit: mtthw.lawrence

A view of the arbor from Bailey Park:

Credit: mtthw.lawrence

Yes, this photograph is from NFL player Eric Wallace:

Credit: polymathicwallace

Forsyth County Courthouse:
Forsyth County has closed on the purchase of land at 175 North Chestnut Street, from a San Francisco-based biotech space developer, for a new courthouse. The biotech space developer could make an additional $150,000 if an easement is removed from the property.

Workers are cladding the Piazza with Flemish-bond brick work.

Credit: bucktu

Original 1794 building being restored:

Credit: ruskomamavamerike

Credit: erick_amir

You can see the changes in terrain, as the building changes from one to three storeys:

Credit: mehannahmesmash

An update on this adaptive-reuse project, converting an old newspaper complex into office space for creative companies.

Workers removing the precast panels to add more windows:

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Repointing:

Salem Lake Marina: Built!
There was never an official announcement on the completion/opening? It does appear to be open, if you're interested in using the facility? Sadly, this is the only photograph I've seen of the marina in the past few weeks. So, no big photography post on this project.

Credit: grangerkl

Nearly everything here is a construction site or is about to be a construction site:

Credit: Matthew Baker

Part of the north tower crane arrived at the site, yesterday.

Look at the height of that core, on the far left:

Credit: breathingroomws

A night view of the core:

Credit: bradford_9673

Cores towering over the Bailey Blues & Bluegrass Festival:

Credit: jacksondulaney

Credit: stitchdesignshop

I see they added facade lighting, so the building will glow on the skyline at night:

Will these trees present problems in the future, with their branches pushing or growing into the building's brise-soleil?

Credit: selectengineering

Hotel Indigo:
I found a photograph showing construction vehicles on the neighboring site, where a mixed-use building is proposed. They are doing facade repairs/cleaning and drywall. Sadly, the site the photograph was from didn't seem to work? The proposed site for the Hyatt Place, with office space and apartments, appears to be Hotel Indigo's construction staging area. So, the Hyatt Place mixed-use project likely won't break ground until Hotel Indigo is completed (Late Spring / Early Summer 2018)?

I think I see a spray, like hydroblasting or pressure washing?

Credit: Unknown?

Hotel Indigo is behind this sign:

Credit: juajua84

Credit: carlin_cas

Credit: leosnow_thewhitegsd

Constructing a new high line bridge over Fifth Street:

Credit: nell.perry

Existing railroad bridge to be removed:

Credit: WFU Engineering

The new bridge:

Credit: WFU Engineering

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: meghan_parsons

This building was designed by famed architect Ralph Adams Cram:

Credit: a.g.l.alun

An 1895 photograph of a 1775 building. The building is still there:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:46 AM
Fourth and Main

In this week's update, we have another new brewery ready to begin construction! Winston-Salem is quickly becoming a beer city.

Projects & Construction:

Since it's October, we need some Halloween music:
Video Link

Credit: autumnc890

Other Side of the Moon Brewery:
Are you ready for another brewery! T.J. Anzulewicz, who worked for Small Batch Brewing on Fifth Street in downtown Winston-Salem, is now working on a new brewery called Other Side of the Moon. He said to expect beers such as Kolsch and citrusy IPAs, along with monthly and seasonal beers. The seasonal beers will be released on days when the moon is full. The brewery should be open by Spring 2018. The beers will be distributed to multiple cities across the state.

Update from Friday, October 6:

Credit: vincerabil

Rainy day:

Credit: chalicewonderland

On the skyline:

Credit: princess_piplup

On the skyline, as of Friday night, October 6:

Credit: _benroth_

West End Station:
It's rare to find any photographs of this massive apartment project.

Credit: the_luckiestman

You can see the crane, towering over the neighboring buildings:

Credit: thecooksinthekitchen

Another crane view:

Credit: likemyphotosdammit

This entire area is a massive construction site, with multiple projects under construction and closed streets & sidewalks. There is now talk of building a new dog park in this area. Great news if you live in this part of downtown and have a dog. If you use Fifth Street: Fifth Street is expected to reopen this week (it was closed for a crane), but parts of the sidewalk will remain closed due to construction.

Credit: snap_louise

Credit: spencer.cbox

Construction workers have closed several streets and sidewalks in this area for multiple projects:

Credit: ddavisphoto

Taking the bike share to the multiple construction sites:

Credit: riversown

Hurricane Nate at the multiple construction sites on Saturday: (You can see the closed streets and closed sidewalks for construction)

Credit: ashley.r.unruh

The photographer above said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley.r.unruh
I love our downtown neighborhood. ❤️
Saturday morning rain:

Credit: rawrasaurus41

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: niawcamera

Hall of Justice - For Sale?
Are you looking for a development opportunity? This site and building will be sold when the new Forsyth County Courthouse opens. If you're interested, contact the county about this development opportunity. It's a perfect site for a high-rise, since it is between the city's two tallest skyscrapers.

Credit: ______keel______

Carolina League Headquarters Relocating to Winston-Salem:
The Carolina League, Class High-A league of professional baseball on the east coast, will relocate their headquarters to Winston-Salem. They are looking at sites in downtown. It would be great if they leased space in the new One Ballpark Center office building or maybe the office space above Fourth & Trade, with the league's logo above Restaurant Row. It would be really awesome to open a league museum on the ground floor of a downtown headquarters. The Carolina League is between Class A and Class AA. A player moves-up from Class A to Class High A (Carolina League), before moving-up to Class AA. Class High A or, as it's sometimes called, Class A Advanced is very similar to Class AA and there are only three leagues (California, Carolina, and Florida leagues) at this level of play, with a total of only 30 teams nationwide. The league is a big part of baseball history in the Carolinas and Virginia.

500 West Fifth Street:

Credit: wsambassadors

East-West Expressway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
The State of North Carolina will provide almost $1 million toward this project, in new money. The city must now find an additional $1.4 million to begin construction on the $10 million bike path project that will connect the university medical center with downtown and the IQ District. This bike path will connect with two existing bike paths. Great news for bicycle commuters.

Off-Subject:

Old Construction Photographs:
This construction photograph is from 1928! It shows the Graylyn Estate under construction.

Credit: restlessbrowsyndrome

Quarry Park Video:

Video Link

Random Photographs:

The dive bars of downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: jwlindsley

The dive bars of downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: laurawhitfieldwriter

A Maya Angelou themed bar in downtown's Arts District:

Credit: audrabass12

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:26 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Hallowe'en music should be fun. Remember... don't howl while at work, a library, or in classroom buildings.
Video Link

It has become very difficult to find construction photographs for this building. Thank you to those attending Gay Pride 2017 for photographing it in the background for us.

You can see workers on the canopy (a few are watching the parade) and their construction van:

Credit: bzabee

500 West Fifth Street:

You can see the new lighting on three of the top four floors:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

She said her office will be on the 15th floor, so workers already know where their offices will be.

Inmar Continues to Grow:
Inmar, a large retail tech company based in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, is acquiring Detroit-based tech company Reach | Influence. All of Reach | Influence's employees will move to downtown Winston-Salem, except for one. Good news for the IQ District and continued development there. I would like to welcome everyone moving to Winston-Salem from Detroit.

Hotel Indigo:

The lights are on and Omega Construction has closed the sidewalk with construction fencing:

Credit: bekahdbaby

Lights on, from the back side of the building:

Credit: ericlvaughn

These model rooms, currently completed in the hotel, are the latest look from Marriott. Interior work will begin in December. When completed, in Summer 2018, expect to see regional design elements, walk-in showers, 55" mounted & framed TVs, laminate plank floors, and Perfect Sleeper Mattresses. The hotel restaurant will also be renovated, with a new look and possibly a new name.

Model rooms, showing interior changes:

Credit: HVMG

Credit: HVMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB Forum

Gay Pride Week:

Credit: penny.converse

Credit: chrismadethis

A view from the park across the street:

Credit: lostvestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB Forum

The new windows for the creative company office space:

Credit: lambert_architecture

New Building at Union Cross:
This project is now under construction. Landmark Builders is the General Contractor.

The east facade does appear to rise 8-storeys, with the height of a 9-storey building, above street.

An aerial view from the 34-storey Wells Fargo Center:

Credit: stlexplorer

Wise Man Brewing Solar Panels:
Wise Man Brewing will install a 34-kilowatt solar energy rooftop system on their downtown Winston-Salem brewery. Renu Energy Solutions is the General Contractor.

Winston Tower Amenity Space:
"Community kitchen, break room, conference rooms, and general hangout area (w/ putting green) for all WT tenants."

Credit: winstontower

Carpet transitions to hardwood:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:
Last week was Winston-Salem's LGBT Film Festival and the city's Gay Pride Week. Both are separate events by separate organizations. Both the film festival and Pride Winston-Salem have events all-year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Milk
"If you are not personally free to be yourself in that most important of all human activities...the expression of love...then life itself loses the meaning.
There was a Harvey Milk parade float in the parade.

A 60 foot / 18.3 metre gay pride flag:

Credit: inaflatfield

Pride is one of the largest festivals in downtown Winston-Salem. It is attended by tens of thousands of people and closes-down much of downtown. There are entertainers from across the nation at the event, with both indoor and outdoor venues. Yes, it is one of the southeast's largest gay pride festivals.

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Credit: bzabee

Credit: Pride WS

Credit: Pride WS

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 6:03 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Credit: wellthandwellness

Hotel Indigo:

A look at the construction fencing:

Credit: Omega Construction

Workers are now assembling one of the two tower cranes at the site. So, Fifth Street is closed again.

Credit: real_estate_by_anton

Credit: photosbyrichardcase

In context - Far upper left corner:

Credit: photosbyrichardcase

The O'Hanlon: Built!
Does anyone know if this project is completed? Progress photographs stopped in the middle of construction. I'm guessing it's completed and will show it as completed. It appears as if tech and creative company office space was so in demand that the developer renovated all of the upper floors for office space? If this building is still under renovation, let me know and I'll change it back to construction on our first post list.

Credit: ashley.r.unruh

Sprigg's Garden Shop:
Are you looking for a place in downtown to buy garden supplies and plants? Sprigg's just opened off Liberty Street in an old warehouse, with both indoor and outdoor retail space. The owners are downtown residents and know about urban gardening and what you can grow in small spaces or on balconies. They also offer vintage and re-purposed items. I wish I knew about this when the adaptive-reuse project was under construction. This is a great reuse of an old warehouse.

This is a large building, but I only found this view of the entrance:

Credit: Sprigg's

Footnote:
Drywall is up and the breezeway to the stores/bars is open. These businesses are located in a hidden alley / laneway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDrip @ WSTB Forum

Landscaping is removed and workers are removing the concrete plaza surface:

Credit: keyyz_

Credit: craft.nc

Notice the windows and new railing in the background of this photograph:

Interior View:

Credit: susanhensleylanders

Award Winning (Two units won awards: Gold and Silver) - Congratulations:

110 South Broad Street:
Developer Roy Carroll will construct an upscale urban self-storage and wine cellar facility, called Bee Safe, on this site. The downtown Winston-Salem project will be one of two urban test projects for the brand (the other test project is in Charlotte). Downtown Winston-Salem was selected due to the rapid growth of upper-end apartments and condominiums. This is a low-rise 3-storey project. However, it will be dramatically different from their usual locations, since this is downtown. It will be designed to look similar to the apartments, hotel, and office building projects proposed around the site. Developer Roy Carroll said "Bee Safe will satisfy the storage needs for the people living in this urban area that is rapidly growing. Self-storage typically performs well in urban areas where apartments and condos don’t always provide enough onsite options for the storage of people’s personal belongings.” This is the second self-storage facility proposed on Broad Street in the past few weeks.

Washington Park Renovation:
The city plans to recreate the Victorian lake & waterfall at Washington Park, add color-changing lights for ambiance, build new walking & bike paths, and build a new amphitheatre. Very exciting! Cascade Avenue was named for the waterfall. I'm not sure when the lake and waterfall were removed? It's amazing to see this city restoring itself. Not just in downtown, but also in the historic neighborhoods.

The original Victorian lake in Washington Park in 1894:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Public Library

It will be great to see the lake, waterfall, and boating in the park, again. Just don't bring back the ugly power lines.

Thanks to rmhpmi @ WSTB Forum for telling me about these renderings and photographs of Bailey Power Plant. I'll include some of the text as well.

This is Cambridge Innovation Center's Turbine Hall, which will be home to Venture Cafe and private offices, suites, and other work-spaces for rent to entrepreneurs, growth-stage companies, and established companies interested in a venue for collaboration on cutting-edge projects.

Construction progress on the Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) Turbine Hall:

Credit: HUB / WFIQ

Construction progress on the Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) Turbine Hall:

Rendering of the Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) Turbine Hall:

Construction progress at CML Microsystems U.S. Headquarters & Engineering Center:

Construction progress at Innovations new headquarters (national tech commercialization group), showing their 24 foot / 7.4 metre ceiling:

Rendering of Innovations Headquarters Open Office:

Rendering of Innovations Headquarters Open Office:

Credit: callmemallory

Credit: mcrazy_kano

Credit: mshellsmith

Credit: individigital

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Credit: real_estate_by_anton

Credit: bigrikredux

Alma Mexicana Restaurant:

Credit: theporchws

Forbes List of World's Largest Public Companies:
Three companies on this list are headquartered inside the city limits of Winston-Salem, including two in downtown skyscrapers. The companies are RAI at 232, BB&T at 247, and HanesBrands at 1452. Winston-Salem has more than any other city in the Triad-area. Two other Triad-area cities have one each.

500 West Fifth Street:

You can see the work on the upper floors:

Credit: adnazujo

Credit: b_plain

Credit: b_plain

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
This 126-key/room hotel will break ground next month. It will be completed in June 2019. R4 Architecture is the architect. In addition to the 6th floor observation deck & bar, the hotel will also have a full-service restaurant & bar, a pool, a top floor fitness center, a 2,000 square foot courtyard, and 1,500 square feet of meeting space. According to the developer, Marriott selected this site and wanted this hotel here, due to the many festivals, food, sports, events, and universities in the downtown area. They claim it is the premier select service brand in the hotel industry.

A new rendering angle we haven't seen:

Credit: Clarendon Properties

Looking up at the new Fifth Street bike & pedestrian bridge:

Credit: davidedwardjohnson

Credit: wakeengineering

Off-Subject:

Skateboarding Championship:
Did anyone reading this thread attend the ISSA U.S. National Slalom Skateboarding Championship in Winston-Salem?

751 West Fourth Interior:
A look inside the multi-tenant office building at 751 West Fourth. A credit union took these photographs of this unfinished office space.

Credit: allegacyfcu

Credit: allegacyfcu

Winston-Salem Music History:
Prince McCoy is now recognized on the Blues Trail for his influence on W.C. Handy and the Blues. He lived on Eighth Street in downtown Winston-Salem. You can visit McCoy's grave at Evergreen Cemetery. McCoy wrote Windin' Boy Blues and influenced the song Memphis Blues by Handy.

Random Photographs:

1850s architecture:

Credit: mustache_bill

Credit: genevaschlabach

Credit: megltodd

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Happy Hallowe'en! My favorite day of the year!
Video Link

I really wish we had more photographs of this project.

Credit: jsilvert123

Hotel Indigo:

A new building, by the same developer, will hide the rough wall:

Credit: odellpayneii

HealthSouth Winston-Salem Hospital:

Link Apartments 4th Street:
We now have new elevation drawings for this project and the proposed building's official name. I'm a little disappointed they have just one retail space on Restaurant Row. This building should have two retail spaces on Restaurant Row. There are plans for a bike share station on the corner. You can see the entrances for the parking under the apartment building. The building will have 225 apartments, 1 retail space, a massive bicycle storage & repair facility for bike commuters, and 82 parking spaces under the building.

Credit: WSTB Forum

Creative Corridors:
The first of several downtown bridge projects, designed by internationally known artists and bridge designers, is now under construction. Completion of the first bridge is set for next year.

First Baptist Church Restoration:
This project has now moved-up by nearly six months. We could see work begin early next year!

Credit: epplayaplaya

Teall Investments:
Do you have a sports or entertainment startup or an idea for a sports or entertainment startup and need money to launch or grow/expand? Teall Investments is a new Winston-Salem company that invests in sports and entertainment startups. They are currently looking for startups in sports, media, marketing, and entertainment industries to invest.

Credit: annem.bickford

This project is best seen in an aerial!

Notice the columns (bottom center) - Two more floors to pour on the back wing:

Credit: bigrich0877

The county is showing two storefronts in the back wing of the Hampton Inn & Suites? I'm not sure how accurate that information is? I guess we shall see what happens?

New Winston Museum:

Interior Demolition:

Credit: hi_its_dylan

Did you know: Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District is the fastest growing Innovation District by size and total employment (by research, creative, & tech companies). WOW! This was published yesterday in a national magazine article on the subject. This building is part of the IQ District, along with Link Apartments Innovation Quarter and Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway. Those are all projects you can see in today's update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood @ WSTB Forum

Credit: denisesheldonkoontz

Dogwood, at the WSTB Forum, shared an update on several projects. What you see in this post is a small sample of what was posted there and I made these smaller for this thread. If you would like to see more photographs and larger versions of these photographs, visit that forum and let the photographer know you like the photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood @ WSTB Forum
500 West Fifth Street:
The first seven floors will be for retail and startups, with the retail on the ground floor. A fitness center is proposed for the second floor. Expect a major renovation of the ground floor. This building still looks roughly the same as it did in May 1980, so it will take a lot of work to bring it into 2018.

Credit: peytonhammed

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Salem Lake Marina: Built!
Yes, it was completed several weeks ago, but we didn't have any good completion photographs of the project until now.

Credit: bassplayerkeithhall

Forsyth County Courthouse:
The county will enter the sites for their proposed courthouse and their proposed office building in the Brownfields program. They have already hired a law firm to assist with this.

There is a lot of excitement about this retail space:

Credit: cyclebarwinstonsalem

GEMCAP did a great job on the retail spaces:

Credit: DWSP

Installing a 21 LC 290 tower crane at the site (one of two to be erected):

Credit: heedesoutheast

Credit: rdarrellc

Credit: innovationquarter

Credit: kaye_stephanie

One of the entrances:

Credit: whateyesee13

Off-Subject:

Did anyone attend the three day HalloWheels Bicycle Festival?

LGBTQIA Youth Educators Conference:
Winston-Salem's annual LGBTQIA Youth Educators Conference was last weekend. The event helps Winston-Salem area schools create a safe and supportive climate and builds allies in the educational community.

Random Photographs:

Credit: jimmytheink

Southern half of the Downtown skyline, as seen from the rooftop of a Hawthorne Hill skyscraper: (Winston-Salem has four skylines in the city limits)

Credit: justinchandler1988

New England Patriots Team Plane in Winston-Salem:

Credit: the.general.aviator

This photograph is from 1890. I think it may show Winston-Salem's Trolley Barn, on the right?

Credit: State of N.C.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:23 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

It's election day... don't forget to vote:
Video Link

The O'Hanlon:
It appears as if this project is still under construction? I will add it back to our construction list. Since this area of downtown is a big construction site, with multiple projects, I guess there aren't many photographs taken of this area? I would like to have updates of these projects, if anyone is in this area of downtown.

Still has signs for the general contractor and architect in the windows:

Credit: agazmarian

Extra Space Storage - Downtown with Retail:
The growing number of new apartments and condominiums in downtown have created demand for self-storage and self-storage developers are stepping-up in a big way to fill this demand. There are now three urban self-storage facilities, proposed in downtown's Village District, that will be in walking distance of each other. This proposed self-storage facility is climate controlled with 10,000 square feet of retail space, including outdoor dining areas on two floors. The building is designed to fit-in with the apartments, hotels, and offices surrounding it. This is a welcome addition for people living in small apartments. With 10,000 square feet of retail, it should be good for this stretch of Fourth Street's Restaurant Row.

This is located between historic row houses and a modern condominium building on Fourth Street:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum

The brick buildings, in the foreground, will be demolished early next year:

Credit: autumnc890

BB&T Sports Park Expansion:
Twin City Sports Association is currently replacing four grass fields with eight artificial turf fields. Construction will be completed in January 2018. This will allow the complex to attract more and larger events and also allow existing events to grow in size. The complex is one of the southeast's largest soccer venues, with membership in the thousands and multiple fields. Twin City is actually a partner with the MLS Seattle Sounders FC. The complex also hosts lacrosse and rugby events.

Workers are now installing windows.

Credit: smallbusinesscenterforsyth

Credit: fetebydesign

New Winston Museum:

The general contractor has a sign infront of the door:

8 West Third Apartments:

Lower right corner:

One of three retail spaces:

Credit: villagejuice

Credit: amwoolgar

This is a rare angle to view the construction: (Thank you to WXII for the updates!)

Credit: WXII TV-12

A tree-lined park is across the street:

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: agazmarian

500 West Fifth Street:
Workers appear to have removed the insurance company sign from the north side of the tower?

Interior designer for two floors:

Credit: monaart

You can see work on the upper floors where Flow is moving their headquarters:

Credit: WXII TV-12

Credit: chasewg1

Off-Subject:

1773 Old Salem District Brewery:
Winston-Salem had distilleries and breweries over two centuries ago and the archives still have the original recipes. This is a brewery that was located in the Old Salem National Landmark District from 1773 to 1813! It's now a park and archaeological site. They should reconstruct it.

Random Photographs:

How close is the airport to downtown:

Credit: eastcoast.spotting

Credit: pullupthestakes

Original Victorian Streets:

Credit: dumptruckjunior

Colonial neighborhood with houses and buildings from the 1700s:

Credit: teresanc9

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:03 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Looking for forgotten "city" songs! Canadian forum members will likely remember this song...
Video Link

Workers poured the walkway near the arbor, installed the fence around the electrical equipment, and added vents to the mechanical room(s).

Notice the steps, leading up to the arbor:

Credit: holmes.j

Credit: kinablack

Credit: lieryn

Credit: WFIQ

Credit: piedmontfederalsavingsbank

The O'Hanlon:

Building on the right side:

Credit: kkcharley

8 West Third Apartments:

Credit: breakfast_at_coles

The under construction Hampton Inn & Suites (purple building) can be seen in the photograph above, too.

8 Essential East Coast Beers:
Winston-Salem-based Foothills Brewing's People's Porter is the only North Carolina beer on Full Service Restaurant magazine's list of 8 essential east coast beers. They describe it as "a little taste of London by way of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Foothills Brewing drew inspiration from English porters of old, creating a brew that’s got all of the roasty goodness one would expect from the style, but with a flavor that tilts a bit more toward dark chocolate and toffee than coffee."

https://www.foodnewsfeed.com/slidesh...st-coast-beers

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: kkcharley

Night view, with all of the lights on:

Credit: Krista Charley Karcher‎

Footnote:
Sunnyside Millwork does amazing work. I always enjoy updates from them.

"Layout and framing" the bar:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

322 North Green:
We now have better renderings of 322 North Green. It was planned as a single tenant corporate headquarters, reaching 250,000 square feet in size, with underground parking. Plans also show retail spaces, art sites, and park spaces.

Credit: archinect

The Fourth Street park area:

Credit: archinect

Credit twin_city_quarter

Marriott on the left and Embassy Suites on the right (both are renovation projects on our list):

Credit: alxbrke

What I reported months ago is now confirmed: The retail tenant is Canteen 411 Gourmet Market & Bistro.

This architectural detail is the logo for the market & bistro:

Credit: Canteen411

Photographing the architectural details, such as the photograph above:

Credit: Canteen411

Common area on the creative/tech company office space floor:

Winston-Salem Among Top Tech Cities:
Spectrum News is reporting Winston-Salem is the #2 tech city in the nation among cities its size.

The new hotel looks small on the skyline:

Credit: wesr101

Credit: wingsoverwinston

Street wall:

Credit: _chap

Gallery Lofts II:
This project is now applying for demolition permits. Work could begin in January 2018?

Home Prices in Winston-Salem Continue to Increase:
According to CoreLogic, Winston-Salem's Metro Area had the second highest home price increase in North Carolina, at 6.1%.

I'll post all of the home price increases in the big N.C., metro areas, so you can see your city:
Charlotte: 6.9%
Winston-Salem: 6.1%
Durham: 5.6%
Greensboro/High Point: 4.9%
Raleigh: 4.7%

More and more people are talking about how the tech boom in downtown Winston-Salem is increasing the price of housing. It is increasing.

MINIM:

Credit: Elephant in the Room

West End Station:
It's rare to find any photographs of this massive apartment project!

Work on the parking under the building (Notice this is below street-level):

Credit: lithkocontracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCityFan @ WSTB Forum
LGBT Equality Index Ranking:
Several Winston-Salem headquarters appear on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Equality Index. BB&T and Womble Bond Dickinson are downtown Winston-Salem headquarters with perfect scores. Other companies in Winston-Salem also did well, including RAI and Hanesbrands.

Credit: lambert_architecture

Awesome!

I wish I had this wallpaper in my house:

Credit: DWSP

Cyclocross Bicycle Course:
The National Cycling Center is constructing a European-style cyclocross race course for bicycles on the north end of downtown. The site's rough terrain is perfect for this use. It's currently under construction, just north of the IQ District and Goler Depot District. I guess this is in downtown's Northwest Industrial District? Zach Lail is the course designer. Construction will be completed on January 7, 2018 and North Carolina's cyclocross finale will be held here. It should be great news for the new downtown hotels. The course will be open year-round and add another attraction for the city's fast growing cycling culture.

Construction starting on the massive cyclocross course:

Credit: winstonsalemcyclocross

It's a very large site and you can see the tops of a few downtown skyscrapers:

Is this project completed? It was scheduled for completion last month.

Credit: breakfast_at_coles

Rainbow Road, as cyclists call it, lit in purple:

Credit: my_small_wardrobe

It appears as if the path, on the other side of the bridge, is completed or near completed?

Credit: lauren.e.coffey

Passageway Park:
Work appears to have started on the second phase of this project, to update a Brutalist concrete pocket park / walkway design.

Adding lights in the Brutalist wall's groves:

Credit: Larry Hall

Off-Subject:

Hockey:
Did you know: The Triad's hockey team is located in Winston-Salem. The Carolina Thunderbirds play in a building called The Annex. If you live downtown and want to see a game, take Cherry Street north. It will merge with Marshall Street to become University Parkway. Turn right on Deacon Blvd., and look for a large sign that says Annex.

Credit: carolinatbirds

Random Photographs:

Credit: whateverwhateverno

The dive bars of downtown Winston-Salem... on a rainy morning:

Credit: violasbabygirlsventures

A place downtown where you can design & make puppets, costumes, props, and set pieces for theatre:

Credit: simplyseton

They (photograph above) also have animatronics, sculpting, and a section for lighting.

Fall color:

Credit: wesr101

Credit: phelps.todd

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 8:10 AM

@Matthew, thank you for all the beautiful update on our city.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 7:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
On the week of Thanksgiving, I want to thank all of the architects, developers, planners, construction workers, and people behind the scenes who have transformed the city I love. These are people and businesses from places including Philadelphia, Miami, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NYC, Richmond, St. Louis, New Orleans, San Diego, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Chicago, and yes... from North Carolina, too. They looked at the buildings and sites in this city and saw the potential and worked hard to make this city's transformation happen. Next week, this thread will turn four years old. It is amazing to see what has happened in the past four years. Winston-Salem is one of the nation's greatest come-back stories. I also want to thank the many photographers and people sharing information on projects, who make this thread possible.

If you're new to this thread, give Winston-Salem a try. I think you will like it.
Video Link

And thank you to the people who let me know you're reading this. If you like it, let me know. I often think I'm not very good at this, since there is so little feedback or discussion.

Work on the office space for creative companies should be completed in 7-10 days.

The next phase will likely bring an end to this popular dandelion fountain?

Credit: maudckelly

351 North Patterson:
WFIQ and Wexford Equities are working on plans for a centerpiece office and retail building at the corner of Fourth and Patterson, across from Bailey Park. Yes, this is the site across the street from Krankies. They are still early in the planning stages on this project, but it is expected to be something impressive. The office tenant will play a major role in the design and height. This is being described as if it could be a tall building, but there are no official floor counts or heights released? It is a small site. I guess we shall see happens. Sites fronting parks often are very attractive in downtown Winston-Salem. I really want to see this site filled-in.

Footnote:

Credit: Wilson-Covington

Hotel Indigo:
Hotel Indigo's General Contractor, Omega Construction, has announced they are moving their headquarters to Winston-Salem.

The Pepper Building is the future Hotel Indigo and the staging site is the future site for Hyatt Place Hotel:

Credit: kimba_is_great

Credit: winston_360

Gallery Lofts II:
Demolition has started for this apartment project. Workers will demolish these two old textile warehouses and replace them with a new 5-6 storey apartment building.

In 2006, there was a plan to convert these two warehouses to condominiums. The Great Recession ended those plans and now an apartment developer is demolishing them for a taller new building.

Of course the roads and sidewalks are closed around this project:

Credit: thatoneguydan

A couple looking at the poke & juice restaurant and Cycle Bar on the ground floor (opening in January 2018):

Credit: susaninteriors

500 West Fifth Street:

Credit: brittanyanncourtney

Grayish-blue building on the center-left of the photograph:

Credit: nusdessik

Looking at the image above, I think the image below could be a few weeks old?

Credit: scottglasson1

Sculpture from Eli Lilly & Company:
This is the research-themed sculpture gave to Winston-Salem by pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly & Company. They also gave similar sculptures to Austin and Indianapolis. They will display the sculpture in the convention center for nine months before permanently installing the art in downtown's IQ District. It is made from 320 sculpted wood bricks. Massachusetts artist John Magnan designed and built the sculpture. It's an awesome gift to Winston-Salem and downtown's IQ District. Be sure to see it on your visit.

Credit: torishanks

According to Dr. Tomlinson, the retail spaces will open in Summer 2018. I was surprised by this, since the apartments won't be ready until Summer 2019.

Credit: Damon Lapas

Credit: Damon Lapas

It's on the far left side:

Credit: thinkdifferentyall

Credit: stlockwood

Credit: Wake Engineering

These photographs show just how large this project is! These are UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) courses. They said the site is close to several downtown breweries and should generate a large amount of business for them.

Credit: usnccws

Credit: usnccws

Cyclists ready to test ride the new course:

Cyclists ready to test ride the new course:

Floor plans are in the windows - The retail space is available for lease (Harris Teeter grocery store was very close to leasing this retail space):

Credit: rebekahrhoden

Workers are installing more color-changing LED lighting. I think most of the current work is inside the building? Look for a big announcement, soon, on the other two buildings in the Bailey Power Plant Complex.

Credit: brittanyanncourtney

Credit: mshellsmith

I wish we had a larger photograph from this view:

Credit: Wake Engineering

Credit: rb8tey

Installing color-changing LED lighting on the latticework tower at Fourth Street:

Credit: synapse_designs

Installing color-changing LED lighting on the latticework tower at Fourth Street:

Credit: synapse_designs

This project was scheduled to be completed last month. It's now scheduled to be completed in Spring 2018. As you've already seen, people are already using it while it's still under construction.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

This Chinese restaurant, on the outer edge of the city, appears to have sat vacant for years:

Downtown storefront window display:

Credit: violasbabygirlsventures

Credit: stjulien

Downtown Skyline from a Hawthorne Hill skyscraper:

Credit: emilyjowall

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:03 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

At midnight, this thread will turn four years old! A long run for anything. As I've said before, I'm not good at this. I don't know how to generate conversation here. And I still continued to update this, every week!

I know staying up late is a big part of this thread. Since I just returned from a long trip, I'll post this 11 hours earlier. I don't think I can stay up until 2 a.m., tonight. I do want to thank those who stay up all night to see this! Lets party!
Video Link

Credit: wyethphotography

Low-rise on the bottom right corner:

Credit: ctddieseltransport

Footnote:

Credit: Wilson-Covington Construction

Credit: hm75oitajp

Claire Calvin said "We’re not going to be a regular grocery store. It’s going to be a specialty gourmet market, with things you’d get in Dean & Deluca.”

Link Apartments 4th Street:

They should pull demolition permits for this 1951 insurance building in the next four weeks:

Credit: seandavidson

Joymongers Barrel Hall:
Winston-Salem always has a new brewery under construction. Publications are now saying Winston-Salem is becoming known for its breweries and food. I think this is our first photograph update for this project?

Credit: brianchristopherjones

They will likely pull demolition permits for the 1950s/60s additions in the next five or six weeks?

Credit: adnazujo

They had a practice ride, over the weekend, to test the course design. Seeing something like this in an urban setting is very unusual, according to those at the event.

Credit: kimbo.harrison

Credit: kimbo.harrison

Credit: herbertkrabel

Credit: curatednc

This retail space is opening in early-January 2018:

Credit: photo___charisma

500 West Fifth Street:
One of the tenants now has a certificate of occupancy. Winston Starts applied for permits today.

On the far left side:

Credit: honey.ling

They tested new color-changing LED lighting in the Cambridge Innovation Center Turbine Hall. The color-changing lights are located in the east wing projection, which will have a wall of windows facing Bailey Park. This is clearly visible from both the park and the downtown medical school building. This building should have an impressive light show at night.

Credit: m_i_c_k_e_y_g_a_r_z_a

Credit: rb8tey

Alma Mexicana Restaurant: "Sneak peek of the art for the bar"

Credit: almamexicanaws

Hotel Indigo:
They are ready to start HVAC work.

They will nearly reclad that side of the building:

Credit: m_i_c_k_e_y_g_a_r_z_a

Future Hyatt Place site:

Past retail tenants:

Credit: winston_360

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Converted to residential condominiums in 1984!

Credit: gingazozo

A very small house from around 200 years ago:

Credit: anne_ajit

A massive house:

Credit: kahlua_lua

Yes, this is in downtown:

Credit: klmncusa

Credit: WFDD

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:15 AM

Matthew, I've missed your folks the last two weeks. If I were in your shoes, I would likely feel that the effort to develop these posts wasn't worth the effort given that folks like me only looked at the posts and never engaged. As a Winston native and current Atlanta resident, I looked forward to these posts every Tuesday to see some new pics of what's happening in my hometown. Thanks for doing them.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:12 AM
Fourth and Main

I originally planned to just end this thread, so I could use the hours spent assembling it to do something else. Other things have already taken some of the time used to assemble the weekly update, so those are now history. If there is interest in keeping this thread, maybe we can post smaller updates (1-2 projects in each post, without a set time to post it), similar to the other threads in this section? This will reduce the number of photographs on each page, allowing it load faster. I'll post an example of this (below) and, at a later time, I'll also post what the thread could look like if a "local" took-over the weekly updates. That post will be around the same size as previous updates and will be posted this weekend or early next week. We could also try monthly updates or quarterly updates, if people here want to see a big update post?

Example of a smaller update:
This would be posted when we find a good rendering/photograph or two to share and could be posted at any time. I would like to thank all who shared images used in this update. Without you, we wouldn't have this update!

Hotel Indigo:
The developer is pulling permits to add the stair tower on the south facade. In these two photographs, you can see workers framing the walls with galvanized steel studs and lifting "greenboard" drywall into the building.

Drywall lifted into the building:

Credit: Betty Williams

galvanized steel studs lifted into the building:

Sunnyside Millwork has an update on the amazing bar they recently completed for 411 Canteen Gourmet Market & Bistro.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations