HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 11:57 PM
Meh

AUSTIN | Mexic-Arte Museum | 140 FT | 8 FLOORS

This is planned for 419 Congress Avenue at the museum's current location adjacent to the Frost Bank Tower. This isn't the first time they've said they want to go vertical. A few years ago they had another plan for a 7-story building.

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat...um-austin.html
Quote:
FREE: mexic-arte museum, austin

conceived by the mexican and US based firm, FREE (Fernando Romero EnterprisE) have designed a new museum that will showcase mexican art in downtown austin, texas. the mexic-arte museum has presented the design of its future venue. the new art center aims to uphold a mexican presence and sense of identity by representing itself as a world-class cultural institution.

the design is derived from elements of circularity found in mexican culture such as the aztec calendar and the pelota game. the circular structure is anchored by a central plaza that serves as the main entry. this iconographic silhouette shapes the building's identity without compromising the structural and programmatic efficiency of the floor plans. the rear of the structure is extended to contain the service entries and loading docks.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
Meh

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669964/...tec-calendar#1
Quote:
A Museum of Mexican Art, Inspired By The Aztec Calendar

FERNANDO ROMERO PROPOSES AN ICONIC DESIGN FOR MEXIC-ARTE, INSPIRED BY DISC-SHAPED OBJECTS FROM MEXICAN CULTURE.

By KELSEY CAMPBELL-DOLLAGHAN

Fernando Romero, the young architect behind the glittering $70 million dollar Soumaya Museum in Mexico City, recently unveiled a design for the Austin-based Museum of Mexican and Mexican-American Art. His proposal for Mexic-Arte is, like that of the Soumaya, based on a simple sculptural form clad in an unusual material (dimpled glass and mirrored tiles, respectively).

Romero’s design for Mexic-Arte is oversized in comparison to the size of the Museum’s collection. To give you some context as to the size of each institution, the Soumaya Museum was built to house the 66,000-piece collection of Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim. Mexic-Arte, by contrast, has a strong but small collection of 1,500 pieces. The two buildings, though, are more similar in terms of size. Soumaya clocks in at a massive 170,000 square feet. The proposed Mexic-Arte design is around 54,000.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
Meh

This says they want to lease part of their space for commercial office space to help pay for the building.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...-new-do/nRnN3/
Quote:
Updated: 5:04 a.m. Monday, April 30, 2012 | Posted: 10:29 p.m. Sunday, April 29, 2012
Mexic-Arte seeking $10 million from city for new downtown building

By Jeanne Claire van Ryzin
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saying that they want to bring a $30 million iconic building to a prominent downtown corner, backers of Mexic-Arte Museum are asking the City of Austin for $10 million in bond money to be included in the November bond election.

"We could build a plain box, but we have the chance to build an iconic structure that will drive tourism and be a landmark for the city," said John Hogg, president of the museum board.

Mexic-Arte occupies a three-story building on the southeast corner of Congress Avenue and Fifth Street.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:25 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 9:31 AM
Everywhere all at once

I'm praying they build this. One more fantastic project for me to follow once I move to Austin

P.S. ...perhaps this thread would be more suitable for the General Developments category? Mods?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 12:43 AM
Resident Moron

I *really* don't want this built.

It doesn't fit the city at all.

In other news, how does Mexic Arte have this kind of scratch? It's a glorified art gallery.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post

In other news, how does Mexic Arte have this kind of scratch? It's a glorified art gallery.
"doesn't fit the city at all"?!? Are you serious...? What would you prefer, beige?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:35 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:

Disagree completely. This is an awesome structure and would be a great addition to our city. This kindof structure has the potential to be an icon for Austin like the Seattle Library is for Seattle (probably not as iconic as that, but you get what I mean), especially if it is done right.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:44 AM
Meh

I like it. I'm always cautious of modern architecture, too. But this is ok. At least we don't have any of those crinkled plastic bag towers. I swear, sometimes I'm convinced modern architecture is on drugs.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:18 AM
Resident Moron

I don't mind the buildings architecture so much as I don't want a giant LED billboard in downtown Austin.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:38 AM
Meh

Yeah, I can agree with that. It could end up being a bit obnoxious. And they need to work on their spelling.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:45 AM

Quote:

Aren't you the one who defended The Domain?

I think the LED would be awesome. Give it something different... and I'm sure its not always gonna be on.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:47 AM

They certainly could use more space, but the Frost building will look like it has wheels and could simply drive away like R2D2.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 6:35 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Aren't you the one who defended The Domain?

I think the LED would be awesome. Give it something different... and I'm sure its not always gonna be on.
No, I definitely wasn't defending the Domain.

I may have been defending Barney's, which I love with a passion.

But certainly not the Domain.

Look, I'm all for awesome architecture. I love a lot of "out there" proposals such as Verre and Gehry New York (though, very few of his other buildings.. I guess millennium park in Chicago is neat).

I just don't see a giant glowy wheel as something that fits downtown Austin much. Tokyo, Miami or Vegas maybe.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:11 AM

Quote:
I just don't see a giant glowy wheel as something that fits downtown Austin much. Tokyo, Miami or Vegas maybe.
Much like the Planetarium doesn't fit where its now proposed, much like Zach Theater doesn't look good, much like the Frost Tower looks like a nose hair trimmer, or an owl... etc etc.

Every single project will have its naysayers... what's new.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:15 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

This thing looks all kinds of awesome, one of the few buildings that has quite my interest enough to actually reply in this subforum. I mean, the architecture is great, the location/placement ballsy...just everything about this seems to pre-label this thing an instant landmark if it ever gets off the ground.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:22 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
This thing looks all kinds of awesome, one of the few buildings that has quite my interest enough to actually reply in this subforum. I mean, the architecture is great, the location/placement ballsy...just everything about this seems to pre-label this thing an instant landmark if it ever gets off the ground.
Thank you! I agree.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive