HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:49 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
That video pretty much describes every problem with St. John's, and exactly how to fix it. Wonder if Doc has even seen it?
It's easy to change things neatly in a video story, but can be very complicated in reality. Nimbyism would be the biggest obstacle in St.John's, but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. The thing is to plan for things which cannot be implemented now, but will probably happen in the future. If Glencrest, for example, is going to be a continuation of Southlands and Paradise type development, you know nothing is changing. Vancouver for one has attempted to do many of these things rather successfully.

Last edited by Architype; Mar 27, 2012 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Done in a similar way to the SSP diagrams, I thought it might be interesting to do a comparison of the four downtown highrise proposals, but using the renderings and dimensions provided by the developers, all compared to scale.

The most surprising thing is that all have been approved except the smallest one.

The Deacon Tower drawing does not include the parking garage, which would add another 7 or 8 meters, but is not applicable to the Hamilton Ave side of the building. The 351 drawing would be 3 meters less on the Water Street side.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:31 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Just wondering if anyone could link me to any renderings of MUN's new residence? As a student, I see the progress all the time, but I haven't seen any image regarding what the finished product will look like. My internet searches have been pretty fruitless, and I figure you all are the experts, so I'll come to you.

Thanks guys. Always helpful.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Just wondering if anyone could link me to any renderings of MUN's new residence? As a student, I see the progress all the time, but I haven't seen any image regarding what the finished product will look like. My internet searches have been pretty fruitless, and I figure you all are the experts, so I'll come to you.

Thanks guys. Always helpful.
Just go to page 1.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:45 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Just go to page 1.
Wow, what an idiot I am. Sorry about that.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Done in a similar way to the SSP diagrams, I thought it might be interesting to do a comparison of the four downtown highrise proposals, but using the renderings and dimensions provided by the developers, all compared to scale.

All the taller structures downtown seem to be at near the same height, with the exception of Cabot II. I'd like to see more variety in structure height, maybe some 60m mixed in with 30-40m structures, just to give some variety. Right now, everything just seems to have that "flat roof" effect.

Nice renderings though, very accurate and nicely designed

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:04 AM

A Globo Shoes and a Roots are going in the strip mall in the Avalon Mall parking lot, there are a few other stores there but I never noticed signs up. As well there is a sign advertising the Bed, Bath and Beyond outside the Villiage.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:

The most surprising thing is that all have been approved except the smallest one.
Perhaps it's an indication that we're becoming more concerned with overall design and context than just height. (I think it is )

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
That video pretty much describes every problem with St. John's, and exactly how to fix it. Wonder if Doc has even seen it?
I'm spreading this video to as many people as possible. Do the same and maybe one day His Worship will be given a showing

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 9:18 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelane View Post
I'm spreading this video to as many people as possible. Do the same and maybe one day His Worship will be given a showing
There are also lots of interesting videos (including that one) in the video thread in the City Discussions section.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=172194&page=7

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 9:26 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Notice of public meeting for 40 Henry Street (April 24th)-

http://www.stjohns.ca/csj/PubDetails?id=737

LUAR -
http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Map_Amend...nry_Street.pdf

This one is up the street from Henry Bell but not part of it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelane View Post
Perhaps it's an indication that we're becoming more concerned with overall design and context than just height. (I think it is )
I agree with that its more about design now in that area which is awesome and what we hoped it'd be more like, and i find it interesting how fortis can be that much taller than the others even if it has the same amount of floors, and the hilton being the shortest even though it has 12 floors (i guess offices have higher ceilings)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
There are also lots of interesting videos (including that one) in the video thread in the City Discussions section.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=172194&page=7
AWESOME!!! Thank you!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:25 PM

Heres an interesting article on the Confederation building renovations and the process

http://dcnonl.com/article/id49482/--...s-newfoundland

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 3:10 PM

St. John's Company To Explore Gold In Manitoba

Quote:
A St. John’s company involved in the search for oil and gas on the province’s west coast has just completed a deal involving gold exploration in Manitoba. Canadian Imperial Venture Corporation has reached agreement with Carina Energy which will CIVC carry out exploration work at the Little Bear Lake property in Manitoba to develop the gold potential of the discovery. CIVC President, Gerard Mercer, says the property has huge potential.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...22046&latest=1

St. John's Mining Company Eyes Labrador

Quote:
A St. John's mining company is involved in three separate deals in Labrador that involve many millions of dollars in expenditures. Altius Minerals Corporation has agreements with Rio Tinto Exploration; Century Iron Ore Corporation; and Alderon Iron Ore Corporation that will see expenditures of over $40 million this year.
Altius Vice-President, Chad Wells, says they been working on their iron ore strategy since 2004 and are very excited about the prospects for the future. Wells says all three of their partners are aggressively pursuing their iron ore developments in Labrador West. Altius Minerals has also started a drilling program on their wholly-owned Julienne Lake project in Labrador.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...22022&latest=1

Good to see companies based in st. john's are expanding (having headquarters in st. john's

Last edited by jeddy1989; Mar 31, 2012 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 5:04 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The latest on the office markets, from the Canada section thread, posted by PoscStudent -

Quote:
St. John’s

Though overall vacancy rates in St. John’s increased slightly from 3.3% in Q4 2011 to 3.7% in Q1 2012, this still represents a decrease in vacancy year-over-year. In Q1 2011 the overall vacancy rate in St. John’s was 4.1%.

In the suburbs, year-over-year vacancy witnessed a decline from 5.7% in Q1 2011 to 4.8% in Q1 2012. At 3.3% overall vacancy, St. John’s has the least available space of any of the cities in the report.

“Demand in St. John’s has remained stable in the first quarter,” says Susan Morrison, General Manager, C&W Newfoundland. “Any space that comes to the market is quickly taken up, and pre-leasing activity for the buildings currently being constructed is ongoing and demand for that space is very strong.”
http://www.financialpost.com/markets...678/story.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:57 PM

New MUN residences

Here are some pics of the new residence buildings currently under construction near Burton's Pond.
http://www.jharchitect.ca/munburton2.htm

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:32 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Here are some pics of the new residence buildings currently under construction near Burton's Pond.
http://www.jharchitect.ca/munburton2.htm
I like how they designed New Res along the same lines of the other residences. Its not going to look out of place, and it will fit in with all the other houses. It really just looks like a bigger version of the other houses. Hopefully they carry on with the old residence renovations though. Barnes got them a few years ago and it did wonders for that house. I haven't been in res in three years though, so I'm not sure if any other houses have gotten upgrades. Bowater especially was a dump when I was in residence.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 9:06 PM

I also read (from the Twitter-verse) that council approved the Steele Hotel on Water St. I thought that proposal was stale for quite some time... it seemed to come out of nowhere?!?!? Oh well, who knows, could be another thread popping up on the forum soon... fingers crossed!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 12:12 AM

Wow. That proposal's been dead for at least 3-4 years. Interesting that it'd come out of nowhere. If I do recall, the original proposal for that area was quite an attractive, mid-sized 6 floor building. It'd definitely be some nice in-fill building in the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's