HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:31 AM

^ That's a nice image, and one that would fit well with the rest of NW.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 3:23 PM

I'm not so sure the neighborhood is going to be that opposed. As dumb as that sounds considering their Riverplace objections. This area has been planned for higher density and zoning changes have been requested for some time now, over a year, and opposition isn't flaring. Maybe when renderings come out people will start paying attention. However, if they can come out with something that provides as much affordable housing as Con-Way says it wants to develop, the neighborhood association will look like an ass opposing it. I see neighborhood buy-in will mostly depend on what Con-Way and the selected developer put on the table, parks, community center, streetcar lines, and condos starting at $125,000 will go a long way to getting neighborhood acceptance of pointy towers.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 7:24 PM
=)

yeah it doesnt say much.....but i guess thats how it goes sometimes...

it did however make me aware that there could be a nice new development, or a really crappy one that is n0t as dense or of the quality Portland deserves....

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:38 PM

Old-school gym pumped up for a threat
Loprinzi's loyalists hope a land-use appeal to the city will protect the funky Southeast Portland gym from a mismatch with a 33,000-square-foot Gold's
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
KIMBERLY A.C. WILSON
The Oregonian

Across the cracked, green concrete floors, past the jumbo bottle of antacid on the front counter and the signed publicity shots of Jesse Ventura and Jack La Lanne, beyond the globe dumbbells and the 10-gallon bucket of hand chalk, through the door of the second-floor ladies' changing room, there stands a vibrating belt machine, plugged in and ready to shake your fat away.

A pewter-colored monument to dubious midcentury health claims once ubiquitous in fitness clubs, the machine has been a fixture at Loprinzi's Gym for decades. Most of the equipment and many of the members have been there longer still. Not much has changed since founder Sam Loprinzi -- a Mr. Universe runner-up dubbed "The Most Muscular Man in America" -- opened its doors in 1948.

While other fitness clubs offer light boxes to battle depression, glycemic peels and child care by the hour, Loprinzi's, just off Portland's Southeast Division Street and 41st Avenue, offers the same thing it did when it was one of the West Coast's pre-eminent weightlifting clubs, back when gyms were sweaty man caves of curses, grunts and free weights: an owner who greets you by name, membership without a contract, Patsy Cline on the radio and the distilled funk of exertion, not wholly unpleasant. You can show up in jeans, sweep the floors in exchange for the $8 fee and answer the phone when the owner's gone to breakfast.

Think "Cheers" with very defined deltoids.

Ten blocks away, in an empty 33,000-square-foot building that recently housed a Wild Oats market, Gold's Gym wants to settle in. If the city adjustment committee gives the green light, Loprinzi's owner Bob Hill thinks his fate is sealed.

But more than fear of competition fuels Hill's opposition to a franchise of the world's largest health club chain. In a city that treasures small, locally owned businesses, Gold's, based in California, has lumbered into a debate here over what constitutes local and small. Just a year ago, community activists wrapped up just such a defining discussion and asked City Hall to turn their ideas into official regulation.

A "beauty contest"

Now some of the same people against big development along Division are ready to welcome Gold's, whose would-be landlord is a local business legend, and whose owner is a Eugene health club veteran with franchises around the state. Neighbors who say they want the option of a modern, full-service gym have given the project their blessing. The city says that turnaround smacks of "beauty contest" planning, development by popularity.

At Loprinzi's, Hill counts about 300 members, an intimate enough group that he knows each personally and doesn't hesitate to leave the gym in members' hands when he strolls to Joe's for the French toast special every morning with his 86-year-old mother.

"It's completely different from any other type of gym," says Hill, 59, a bullet of a man with a cowl of steel fuzz around his head and, no surprise, the body of a younger athlete.

Across the Willamette River in Northwest Portland at the city's only Gold's Gym, Troy Finfrock is waiting for word that he can expand to Southeast.

Finfrock owns Gold's franchises just outside the Pearl District, in Eugene, Keizer, Salem and Springfield, and he plans to bring a full-service health and fitness club to Southeast 30th and Division.

"Very simply, we live in Oregon, all of our stores are locally owned," Finfrock says. "We market to a core group of people trying to improve their health."

Positive mega-business

His gym was granted a variance in February to a year-old regulation limiting commercial ventures, other than grocery stores, that are larger than 10,000 square feet.

Forest Hofer, Hill's longtime lifting partner, appealed. "There's only one legal argument: A big gym doesn't jibe with the ordinance," Hofer says.

Or as a beret-wearing Curtis Salgado, who works out at Loprinzi's, puts it: "It doesn't go with the flow of the neighborhood; it's gonna punch right through, and it isn't hip."

Stan Amy demurs.

"I believe that this is a very good community use of an asset, and I believe it has the support of the vast majority of the neighbors as well as the neighborhood board," says Amy, managing partner of Appropriate Development Group, which owns the grocery building. "My understanding is the regulation was not about keeping out corporately owned businesses. It's about not having negative mega-businesses."

Land-use board members seem confused by the regulation's unclear descriptions of what's allowed on Division. Really, what do "small scale" and "local serving" mean?

The street is sprinkled with clusters of mom-and-pop storefronts, fine vegetarian dining and creative resale shops. Lately, it's also awash in retail vacancies. And as much as anyplace in Portland, Division embodies the city's anarchic indie streak -- remember in 2004, when someone threw a Molotov cocktail into the 20th Avenue Starbucks, heralded as a sign of unwelcome corporatization and gentrification?

But Amy and others point to the arrival of corporate storefronts without messy consequences. When Starbucks opened, it didn't bring the death of neighborhood coffee joints such as Haven and Stumptown Coffee Roasters, and the community health-food store People's Co-op weathered the arrival of New Seasons.

Nevertheless, Hofer says, Wild Oats, which bought out Nature's, the grocery store Amy helped found, didn't survive after New Seasons arrived.

A hulk of a man, Hofer drives twice a week to Loprinzi's from his home in White Salmon, Wash. He got his start in weightlifting at the gym and is trying to regain the world record he briefly held last May for bench pressing 573 pounds. He also ran Loprinzi's for two years in the '90s, until a Gold's Gym franchise launched a member drive from a trailer in Hollywood, stealing a chunk of his core membership, he says, and souring him on the chain.

Dueling 'serious' workouts

But Gold's, the dynasty, began as a Gold's, the gym, as much a magnet for strong men in Venice Beach, Calif., as Loprinzi's was for strong men in Portland. Joe Gold's gym garnered international attention in 1977 when it appeared in Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno's cult phenomenon on bodybuilding, "Pumping Iron." The Web site for Synergy's Gold's Gym on Northwest Overton Street in Portland describes that flagship gym as "the place for the 'serious' workout. No frills, just the best atmosphere with the best equipment to build your body."

That's the kind of gym Sam Loprinzi built.

La Lanne remembers.

"He had every piece of equipment that you can imagine. It was the most modern gym that has ever been," the 92-year-old exercise icon says from his home in Northern California.

La Lanne met Sam and Joe Loprinzi during World War II, when the brothers outfitted a makeshift gym during a training program for sailors at Treasure Island, Calif. After the war, after Sam was runner-up for Mr. America 1946, La Lanne visited Loprinzi's in Portland. Joe Gold visited, too.

Back then, the emphasis was on bodybuilding. Boxers and wrestlers were the mainstay of its members. Ventura, long before he became Minnesota's governor, earned his bodybuilding chops at Loprinzi's. And Walt Nagel, a competitive weightlifter for 52 years, still makes it to the gym four or five times each week. He's 86.

Eventually, La Lanne sold his 100 gyms to Bally Total Fitness. Gold sold his gym to a health club company, which claims to be the world's biggest. Today, Gold's has 610-plus facilities and nearly 3 million members in 41 states and 28 countries. The company boasts that its members climb 1.7 million flights of stairs a day, equal to 11,000 Empire State Buildings.

In Portland, Loprinzi sold his business to a couple who sold it to Hill.

Grab a broom

That was the '90s and the gym's focus had swung to general fitness. Gay, buttoned-down, mangy, matronly, the membership reflected its working-class neighbors.

"This is not a niche-market gym," Hofer says. "We've got old, we've got young, somebody comes in and can't afford a membership, Bob says, 'Well, you can come in and clean in return.' "

Still, there are nearly 40,000 people living within walking distance of Loprinzi's. Fewer than 1 percent belong to Loprinzi's, buying punch cards for 10 visits at $50 or paying up to $350 for a year's worth of workouts.

"There are people that love Loprinzi's and would go nowhere else, and there are people who would want a different choice," says Nancy Chapin, who staffs the local business association.

Finfrock figures at least 3,000 are waiting for another option.

Allen Field, chairman of the Richmond neighbors group, thinks so, too.

"I don't think it's gonna put Loprinzi's out of business," says Field.

His words have added weight since he is a regular at Hill's establishment.

"A gym," he says, "is a place where you go to sweat."

Kimberly Wilson: 503-412-7017; kimberlywilson@ news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...450.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 6:10 AM

^ I can't wait for that gym to open. I live in SE and I'm tired of having to ride my bike 4 miles to the gym. (the ride is a workout in itself). I tried really hard to like Loprinzi's gym but it's not was I'm looking for (and many others feel the same) I'm really saddened by his position on this. Personally I think the two gyms will coexist just fine. He is just being protectionist. If he's so afraid of going out of business then he needs a different business model.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:49 PM

Construction has started on those "long" condos along Belmont/Morrison/23rd.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:46 PM

yes that's the old Tice Electirc site...anybody have any renderings of what is going in?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 5:54 AM

took some pictures of Randy's Clinton Condos down on 26th/Division. The last floor is being worked on now and hopefully they will be doing more exterior work so we can see how it will actually look

and i think they finally painted the Burnside Rocket, I will try to swing by there, weather permitting, on a bike ride soon

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 7:20 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ I live right next to the Clinton, been keeping my eye on this awesome project. Actually, about 2 weeks ago I got a tour of the project and got to hang out on the top floor... pretty good views of downtown! Even better than when the new buyers move in, since it was a 360 pano...

===========================

Here's a pic of that new building going up in Northwest Portland, on 18th or 19th(?) - it's ICF w/light steel framing.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 5:10 PM

more photo updates of some eastside stuff...

12 and a Half (NE 7th/Knott)

Graham Street Lofts (NE Graham/MLK)

Burnside Rocket (NE 11th/Burnside)

I am a big fan of how the rocket is turning out, and 12 and a Half is starting to look really sharp and clean now that the plaster is up...waiting for the wood to come soon (i hope)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 3:14 PM

Concordia maneuvers to build at Whitaker
Thursday, April 12, 2007
By Stephen Beaven
The Oregonian

In its latest bid for expansion, Concordia University has been courting neighborhood groups, City Hall and Portland Public Schools officials in hopes of building a community center and athletic facility on the site of the old Whitaker Middle School.

Demolition of the school, which closed in 2001, is expected to be complete by the end of the month. The school district plans to retain part of the property at 5700 N.E. 39th Ave., most likely to build another school. But the district may sell nearly six acres for redevelopment, and Concordia has been busy garnering support for its plan.

Last month, the Concordia Neighborhood Association voted to back the school's proposal to build a $10 million to $12 million sports facility that would be available to the public.

"When it comes to these types of facilities, we're really underserved," says Tony Fuentes, co-chair of the neighborhood association. "It would be well-used."

The proposal for the community center follows Concordia's announcement late last year of a $22 million expansion that will consume two blocks of homes north of campus to make way for a library, amphitheater and sports fields. The school has raised a third of the money for that project and hopes to break ground by the end of the year.

The Whitaker proposal remains in the early stages. After the school board declares the 5.8 acres surplus property, perhaps by the end of the school year, the district will begin a public discussion before opening the site up for bids, according to Matt Shelby, a district spokesman.

Because funding for a new school is tight, the district has talked about using money from the redevelopment to help pay for the school. The value of the land set for redevelopment has been estimated at $3.5 million to $4.5 million.

In addition to the 5.8 acres, the district plans to retain 3.4 acres. The rest of the 12.9-acre property is owned by the Portland Bureau of Parks & Recreation.

Concordia probably won't be alone in its interest in the site. Discussions about building affordable housing on the site date to 2002, Shelby says.

"It behooves the district to have more affordable housing in the city," he says. "It brings more families in."

But officials from Concordia, a Lutheran school with 1,600 students, have been aggressive in pursuing the site. They've met three times with the school district, made the rounds at City Hall and met with neighborhood groups in Cully and Concordia, as well as business owners in the area.

Potential donors have shown interest, says Denny Stoecklin, Concordia's chief financial officer. But it's too early to solicit pledges, he says.

"We need to develop this a little further before we could go with hat in hand and make a formal presentation."

Stephen Beaven: 503-294-7663; stevebeaven@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...910.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:48 PM

I heard recently that there is a multi-story mixed-use development in the works for 38th and Belmont. Indeed, the Asian grocery complex there has a 'closing' sign up. I think the neighborhood is in support.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 10:18 AM

that would be awesome.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 10:19 AM

hey, does anyone know about the project being built on the corner of alberta and north vancouver avenue?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 4:16 PM

Nonprofit builder's goal: 1,000 homes
10-year plan - Host seeks $10 million to help keep young families in Portland
Friday, April 13, 2007
FRED LEESON
The Oregonian

Portland's largest nonprofit builder of houses for low-income families hopes to boost production and finish 1,000 homes in 10 years to bolster school enrollment and maintain the city's family friendly reputation.

Host Development -- short for Home Ownership a Street at a Time -- is trying to raise $10 million to buy vacant lots, pay development costs and meet its 1,000-home target by 2017.

"This is an unprecedented time in Portland history," said Ted Gilbert, Host's chairman and an organizing founder. He said the city's prices are driving young families to the suburbs to find affordable houses.

The result, he said, is a decline in school enrollment and less vitality in Portland neighborhoods and parks. "We could be on our way to becoming a childless city like San Francisco," he said.

Although David Wynde, a Portland School Board member, agreed that housing prices drive some families away, he said lower birth rates and smaller families also contribute to declining enrollment.

Wynde said the district knows that homeowners tend to be more stable than renters. "Kids enroll in school and stay there," he said. He called Host's goal "a wonderful thing for the city, and it's a great thing for the school district."

Since its start in 1989, Host has developed and sold 300 homes. Most buyers fell in the 70 percent to 100 percent range of regional median income. Gilbert said a recent study found that those owners have gained $29 million in equity.

Host has 72 houses in the works this year, surpassing its previous annual peak of 50. "But that's still a drop in the bucket" of Portland's needs, Gilbert said.

Host buys land and builds houses just like any other developer. But it sells the houses for minimal gain and takes advantage of low-interest loans. It also benefits from volunteer help from real estate agents and lawyers. As a result, Gilbert said, Host can sell a house for at least 20 percent less than a for-profit builder.

Gilbert sees a connection between housing prices and declining school enrollment. From 2001 to 2006, Portland Public Schools' student population fell from 54,000 to 46,000, while median housing prices rose from $170,000 to $275,000. A family of four earning the median income, he said, can afford only a $175,000 house.

"If there's no product young families can afford," Gilbert said, "they will go where they can find something."

He said many families are choosing Vancouver, Gresham and other suburbs.

Host has sold houses in the $140,000 to $220,000 range.

Gilbert said Host has raised $3.1 million of the $10 million it needs to meet land acquisition and development costs for 10 years. The agency has received grants from several banks, he said, and $500,000 in an innovative long-term, low-interest loan from Meyer Memorial Trust.

Douglas Stamm, director of the Meyer trust, said the line of credit helps Host meet its goals while allowing the trust to increase its charitable giving. The trust can extend the loan past 2009 if it wishes, he said.

Fred Leeson: 503-294-5946; fredleeson@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...430.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 3:53 PM

NORTHWEST
Portland Tribune
Garage plan reborn

Just when it appeared that developer Richard Singer’s proposed parking garage behind the Papa Haydn restaurant on Northwest 23rd Avenue was dead, unexpected City Council maneuvering Thursday appears to have given it a breath of life.

In February, the council voted 3-2 to uphold an appeal by the Northwest Portland neighborhood association that denied approval for the garage.

Council members appeared to agree with the neighborhood association’s contention that the site on Northwest Irving Street would endanger pedestrians.

On Thursday, Singer won a round when – after urging the city council members – neighborhood association representatives agreed to meet with Singer and a city-supplied outside mediator in an attempt to find a compromise that would allow the garage to proceed.

But Juliet Hyams, acting president of the neighborhood association, said Friday she does not see much room for compromise, and was puzzled why City Council members wanted the mediation.

“The fact that they (council members) want to devote city money to this is baffling to me,” Hyams said.
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...76392494960600

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 8:17 PM

Salpare Bay crane is up

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 8:19 PM

Some pictures of the Westerly under construction just off 23rd. It looks like its coming along quickly, and while it does seem a little big for the neighborhood, its a better use of the land than a parking lot

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 8:31 PM

Some photo updates from close-in SW projects. I skipped SOWA since Dougall covers it so well already. First up is the Jefferson Condos, which I am anxiously awaiting the completion of. The brick they're putting up is a little dark, but i'm anxious to see how the glass looks

The Morrison Apartments going in next to the Civic. Looking forward to seeing what sort of space they put between the two

Sophia's View condos and townhouses just off of Macadam

I have no idea what this project is or how it is supposed to turn out looking. Does anyone know more? Its at Corbett and Mitchell

Corbett Condos on (surprise) Corbett and Bancroft. The building has an open staircase in the middle...kind of weird

And finally, from the other side of town at Fremont and 50th, there are the Beaumont Village Lofts. It came out okay, nothing special, not thrilled with the details of it

boring...

one plus i saw was the use of what i'm guessing will be bioswales. the street interaction of the building actually looks pretty good as far as landscape, pavement, etc.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Some photo updates from close-in SW projects. I skipped SOWA since Dougall covers it so well already.
if you took sowa pics could you post them anyway. any update is a good update. and you take some great pictures! It's nice to have more then one person take pictures of a neighborhood because each photographer has a different style. usually I just take pictures of the whole building, while someone else like tworivers really captures the architecture in more artey pics. anyway I like it when I'm not the only one taking pics. great update!

oh and here is the corbett crescent from sowa last week

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland