HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 4:18 PM

Press Release from Central City

This is an excerpt of a memo sent to the tenants of Central City:

1.  You may have noticed the new construction hoarding that has been erected in the lower west section of the shopping centre. This is in preparation for the new Canadian Passport Office and expanded washroom facilities that will open spring of 2011. This new passport office will generate upwards of 700 new customers to the shopping centre daily. With this new tenant moving in, we have relocated Chic Boutique to the new upper south west section of the shopping centre as well as Baseline Clothing that wll open up by the west Zeller’s entrance. Shoe Warehouse has moved to their attractive new location to the upper east mall across from Future Shop.

2. Additional new tenants coming this fall include Cotton Ginny to unit 216, a 12,000+ sq. ft. Target beside Bed Bath & Beyond, and Gallery 7 (a service store that offers printing, copying and faxing services) will be located in the old Surrey Tourism office beside Central City Brew Pub, as well as many more retailers in various stages of negotiations that will be announced once firm agreements have been execute.

3. In order to improve traffic flow in the shopping centre, we have temporarily closed down the west shopping centre corridor and relocated tenants to the new stores in the upper west mal. It is common for traffic to take a few weeks to adjust to a new pattern. We are in the process of installing new directional signage to help ease with this transition. We will also be installing an attractive storefront display case with lighting and soft seating to add to the ambiance in the rea west of Starbucks.

4. We are delighted to announce the tower is now fully leased and 800 new high income earners will be moving into Central City strting in December of this year through to spring of 2011. McQuarrie Hunter, a local law firm, will be taking the entire 15th floor

and are expected to open mid December 2010.  JP Morgan will be leaving the tower this fall however Fraser Health Authority is expanding their presence in the tower and wil take podiums 4 & 5 (please see attached press release.) We expect them to move in spring 2011. SFU continues to expand. They are currently building out Podium 2 for a new science facility for the campus.  And finally Price Waterhouse Coopers, auditors, will be taking over the entire 14th floor and we anticipate them to be open early summer 2011.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:22 PM

Is that... Target target? Are there any in Canada? I don't believe it!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:31 PM
Vancouver User

Doesn't 12,000 square feet sound a bit small for a Target?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:36 PM

Apparently their average store size is 128,000 square feet. So, yeah. Maybe it's missing a 0 ?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 6:50 PM

I don't think that it's "Target" from the usa. Here is a quote from the Financial Times June 29th.

Quote:
One wrinkle standing in Target’s way, at least legally, could be getting the rights to its corporate name in Canada. Isaac Benitah, owner of Toronto-based I.N.C. Group, which operates chains such as Fairweather, Randy River, Les Ailes de la Mode and International Clothiers, owns the rights to the Target name and operates a handful of apparel stores in Ontario under the banner.

Read more: http://www.financialpost.com/Target+...#ixzz0w8Uv6LPF
Also notice that before this new Target was announced at Central City, the Randy River closed down beside the food court.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 7:07 PM

Well, that's somewhat disappointing Not that I'd be likely to shop at either of them.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 7:22 PM

Good to see some good legal and accounting tenants in the tower (as opposed to the JP Morgan call center).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Good to see some good legal and accounting tenants in the tower (as opposed to the JP Morgan call center).
...which raises the quesiton: Where is a huge, marque client like JP Morgan going to move to?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
...which raises the quesiton: Where is a huge, marque client like JP Morgan going to move to?
Ever seen Boiler Room? Some abandoned office park somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 5:29 PM

jp morgan closed their surrey ofice an moved to ottawa if the tower is fully leased thats good news...has anybody heard if gateway business station is going anywher or still in concept stage|?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalley13 View Post
jp morgan closed their surrey ofice an moved to ottawa if the tower is fully leased thats good news...has anybody heard if gateway business station is going anywher or still in concept stage|?
Wow, that's a glass-half-full attitude if I've ever seen one! A huge international company *leaves the province* but it's good news, because the office tower is fully-leased!? Never mind all the skilled staff that are now looking for a job, 'cos hey we've got a full mall...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 6:04 PM

JP Morgan's use of the office tower space was for a call center - not premium use of the "downtown" space (could have been housed in a warehouse) - i.e. the space was probably leased at a bargain basement rent when the project was desperate for a lead tenant.

While their leaving is a loss to the local economy, it was the result of consolidation of services and the financial meltdown.

It's good to see the legal and accounting tenants get into the tower - they're probably paying much higher rent.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 7:11 PM

The caliber of the tenants is an improvement...call centers are very transient so no surprise they left....my thinking is that if the tower is fully leased it gives confidence in the local office space market for someone to move on with either the station project or central city tower 2

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 5:34 AM

Any ideas on who the new big central tenant is going to be?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 7:48 PM

See first post on this page...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 9:00 PM

is target open yet?

must be pretty big close to a typical H&M size anyway

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 4:02 AM

Was at Central City today, and saw the sign for the new "Target" next to Bed bath and beyond... still not open yet, and its for "TARGET Apparel Co." so definitely not the American target.

Also didn't see any signs indicating whats going to be in the middle of the mall where they closed off the centre hallway.

Did see both the Mobilicity store "coming soon" right across from Bed bath and beyond, as well as a Wind Mobile store "coming soon" just south of the Starbucks.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 9:43 PM

What I'm happy about is that the whole section between the Starbucks and the Urban Behavious at the end will soon be full! I can remember when it was mostly empty. I think building Starbucks in the middle has really drawn people further into the mall (from SFU and office building as well).

There are signs for Wind Mobile (as you mentioned) to go in where the temporary customer service was, and they're working on a store called "Body Mods" beside it.

It's also nice to see the empty corridor across from Bed Bath and Beyond being filled with relocated stores, as well as the future Mobilicity store.

Now they just have to find a tenant for the large new store that they created, I'm hoping for H&M!

I also noticed downstairs beside Zellers, where the employment office used to be (and Shoppers Drug Mart had been there a long time ago). There is a new graphic that says "Exciting Restaurant Coming Soon". I'm wondering what restaurant will be moving in... It's a good location in the Mall since they'll also have an outdoor entrance like Boston Pizza has. I'd love for a Milestones or Cactus Club to move in, but I doubt they'd move into a mall. We already have a White Spot and Ricky's (which are often mall tenants), and it's quite a large space so I don't think it'd be a little independent operator. We'll have to see, my hopes are up!

Also, the insurance office in the food court (beside Subway) is moving to the downstairs entrance (beside the barber and Boston Pizza). I'm wondering if they have a tenant (hopefully a food one) moving in shortly. It would be better to have food tenants around the food court, the insurance office seemed out of place. Last time I walked through I noticed that the Currey Express had moved out of the food court as well. I asked about it and I was told that the rents had gone up and they were moving to Coquitlam somewhere. I'm wondering if the mall has a new tenant already, or if it'll be empty for a while. When "Roasty's" moved out, Charlie's moved in just a few months later.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 10:54 PM

i thought the passport office was going into that spot next to zellers - where shoppers used to be

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 5:54 AM

the target is till not open! it says TARGET Apparel something in smaller letters under the target...

the mall was really busy today when i was there a few more stores and it could be one buzzing place

the way they have closed off the middle works well for flow but seems awkward doesn't seem like they set up it up for any tenants

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley