HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post

I'm sure many people prefer Park City over Vegas.

Perhaps the architect can change the design so that it visually steps up with the mountainside, perhaps even including rooftop gardens. This way the development will not be so visually imposing. I think the imposing nature is intentional, but I don't think the developer should be able to have his cake and eat it too on this one.
What I read was that the design IS stepped up the mountainside so as not to be so imposing from below.

I disagree about keeping all retail on Main St. Retail is actually underserved in Park City. I've spent a LOT of time in Park City, as I used to be the marketing manager for the Sundance Film Festival. Main St. consists of touristy art galleries (a lot of it really tacky) and restaurants of varying quality, but there is much more need for other retail near Main St., but not necessarily right ON Main.

There is a definite need for other types of retail outside of the tourist fare.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:12 PM

Draper Planning Commission approves water-park plans

DRAPER — The Draper Planning Commission has approved plans for the Cowabunga Bay Water Park, to be located near the factory outlet shopping center.

The 2-acre site is expected to include several slides within a 68-foot play structure as well as a picnic area and children's pool. It could be built as early as next summer.

The next step in approval of the water-park plans is a public hearing before the City Council. For more information, visit draper.ut.us.

— Rebecca Palmer

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:36 PM

Report: Utah an exception as house prices dropped in 70% of U.S. states in 2008

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_11556069

...California led last year's decline with a 27 percent drop, followed by Nevada at 23 percent, Arizona at 19 percent and Florida at 18 percent, First American said. Prices tumbled 14 percent in Rhode Island, 10 percent in Minnesota, 9 percent in Wyoming, New Hampshire and Maryland and 8 percent in New York.

Declines of 3 percent or more occurred in 24 states and the District of Columbia, according to First American...

... Prices rose 4.2 percent last year in West Virginia and 3.6 percent in Texas and South Dakota. Montana prices rose 2.6 percent, Mississippi saw a 1.7 percent increase, Utah a 1.5 percent gain and New Mexico a rise of 1.3 percent, according to First American.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:20 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I like the Water park idea. Besides having a name like "Cowabunga Bay Water Park" has a good ring to it.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 8:18 PM

I can be somewhat challenged as far as imagining size sometimes, but it seems to me that a 2 acre "water park" is going to be more of a pool with some slides attached to it. Looking at Seven Peaks (26 acres) and Raging Waters (14 acres)--this seems to be more of a community pool than anything else. Granted a lot of those acres at the other parks are picnic areas, but still...very different from 2 acres.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 11:42 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
I can be somewhat challenged as far as imagining size sometimes, but it seems to me that a 2 acre "water park" is going to be more of a pool with some slides attached to it. Looking at Seven Peaks (26 acres) and Raging Waters (14 acres)--this seems to be more of a community pool than anything else. Granted a lot of those acres at the other parks are picnic areas, but still...very different from 2 acres.
Two acres is almost 90,000 sq ft of land. I agree it is a bit small especially since parking will be needed in some form or another, but anything is possible.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 7:20 PM

Jordan Landing

Here are some photos I snapped at Jordan Landing yesterday. This is the west part of Jordan Landing at about 40ish West - all the retail is on the east side by Bangetter. For those of you who don't know, Jordan Landing is a multi Retail/Commercial/Residential mega complex located about 20 miles south west of down town SLC at 40th West and 78th South. I appologize for the quality - I do have a nice camera, but my cell phone is easier to snap photos with while driving if you know what I mean

This image is a little old. There is a Target located at the top right corner just above Best Buy and all the pics I am posting on here are located in the undeveloped space to the mid-to-bottom right between the retail and the airport (not SLC International, it's just a municipal airport).

These two pics are from the Jordan Landing website (not mine):

The new Mountain America HQ:

The current Mountain America HQ (I'm not sure if Mountain America is just expanding into an additional building and will keep the old one, or if it plans to move over completely):

The new Hampton Hotel with the Cyprus Credit Union Building behind it:

Just some dense living options available at Jordan Landing. They are a little remeniscent of Daybreak, but they were built a few years before Daybreak was. These are great for people who want to live in a suburban setting but still want dense housing and convenience of nerby shopping, dinning, and transportation:

These are some really cool 4-part duplex-ish houses. I guess that would be a quadplex? If that's a word Lol:

Last edited by Urban_logic; Jan 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 8:57 PM
Closed account

Whoever planned they layout of Jordan Landing obviously wasn't expecting it to be full of people. I got in a car wreck by the Wal-Mart while heading to the Cinemark because some lady was trying to cross that wide center street on a Friday night, which is a dumb decision in itself.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroFanatic View Post
Whoever planned they layout of Jordan Landing obviously wasn't expecting it to be full of people. I got in a car wreck by the Wal-Mart while heading to the Cinemark because some lady was trying to cross that wide center street on a Friday night, which is a dumb decision in itself.
Yeah, I've noticed that it is changing though. On 78th South, for example, there is now an island in the middle of the road all the way down the length of Jordan Landing along 78th. Even on the road you are talking about, there is now an island near the intersection to stop people from doing that, but some dorks still try to anyway (because the island stops short of that road by Wendy's). I always go up the road by Walmart and Sonic to make a right turn onto 78th or turn right on to Plaza Center and loop around by Target and the Sports Challet/Petsmart complex. That way I don't have to turn left on Plaza Center and dodge the island and traffic.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:38 PM
BANNED

This is a pedestrian nightmare!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:40 PM

You do realize that 99% of the people that shop there drive their cars and don't care that it isn't "pedestrian friendly"? And guess what? That's ok.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Remember, people who are in those cars become pedestrians once they get out of their car. It becomes a dangerous place as they battle their way from their parking space to the store, dodging cars and holding their breath, trying not to get hit, trying not to breath in car exhaust and other unhealthy elements.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Remember, people who are in those cars become pedestrians once they get out of their car. It becomes a dangerous place as they battle their way from their parking space to the store, dodging cars and holding their breath, trying not to get hit, trying not to breath in car exhaust and other unhealthy elements.
LOL!!! Dramatic much?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
This is a pedestrian nightmare!
Oh, it's much more than that. It's pedesrtian Hell! You don't even know the half of it Lol. But, like Wrendog said, it is made to catter to people who drive cars.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 10:33 PM
BANNED

It's an inefficient and unsafe development, made for an inefficient and unsafe mode of transportation.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 12:11 AM

Cars... or trains, buses, trolleys, bikes, and pedestrians--together...

Hmm...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 2:04 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroFanatic View Post

My wife and I had some close calls also. There really should be a light there.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 4:01 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
but some dorks still try to anyway (because the island stops short of that road by Wendy's).
Yep, that is where it happened.

(storytime)

Afterwards, I ask the lady if she is okay and she says yes. The cop comes, does no survey of the scene whatsoever and then tells her that I was speeding. The cop asks if she's okay and she says her neck hurts.

THEN... me only being 19 (18 at the time) and never having been in this situation... the cop never tells me to put my written claim on the back of the insurance form BUT, he tells her. So the result is her having a written claim that says I was speeding (and I truthfully wasn't) and me not having a written claim at all.

The only reason I know this is because when the report came out, the police department made a mistake and gave me her written claim.

Also, my house is nearby, so my parents came to pick me up. My mom went up to the lady and also asked if she were okay. So then my mom basically tells her (because she was boobing) that she was sorry, but thats life. On her claim, she said my mom told her she was sorry as in apologizing for MY mistake.

The good part is, she was inconsistent with her claims to the insurance company. She even said the skid mark was 75 feet long... I have pictures... they were 10. She didn't even get ticket too. Man I don't like cops/depressed lying methamphetamine taking moms (I'm just assuming).

We tried to complain against the cop, but you know how it is... a united brotherhood. Sorry if any of you are cops/affiliated with cops, but... I don't like cops. In ever situation I've been with a cop, they're always so callous, even when I'm not doing anything wrong.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Cars... or trains, buses, trolleys, bikes, and pedestrians--together...

Hmm...
Come to think of it, I have been hit by WAY more bikes and pedestrians than cars...in fact, I have never been hit by a car! I grew up in many suburban areas with these kind of developments and have never had any close calls when I was a padestrian. Urbanboy, there are cross-walks in front of stores and the drivers are very alert because there are hords of people. Plus, they don't go more than 5 mph in front of stores (which is the only place you would be walking anyway). I think Urbanboy's fear of parking lots is the funniest irrational fear I have ever heard of! Lol. Actually, my dog has an irrational fear of bubbles - I think that tops it!

If you get run over by a train or bus, you will probably die. If you get hit by a car in a parking lot, you will probably have a twisted ankle at worst. If you are alert, you can see a car coming. The people who get hit by cars are the ones talking on their cell phones or distracted by something. There's no need to worry if you pay attention to traffic.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Come to think of it, I have been hit by WAY more bikes and pedestrians than cars...in fact, I have never been hit by a car! I grew up in many suburban areas with these kind of developments and have never had any close calls when I was a padestrian. Urbanboy, there are cross-walks in front of stores and the drivers are very alert because there are hords of people. Plus, they don't go more than 5 mph in front of stores (which is the only place you would be walking anyway). I think Urbanboy's fear of parking lots is the funniest irrational fear I have ever heard of! Lol. Actually, my dog has an irrational fear of bubbles - I think that tops it!

If you get run over by a train or bus, you will probably die. If you get hit by a car in a parking lot, you will probably have a twisted ankle at worst. If you are alert, you can see a car coming. The people who get hit by cars are the ones talking on their cell phones or distracted by something. There's no need to worry if you pay attention to traffic.
Oh no! Watch out for that pedestrian, if a collision should occur, it may be fatal!

You've never almost been hit while someone was backing out of their parking space?

Drivers are fully responsible for looking out for pedestrians, as it should be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West