HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
For YVR, it's more than a few weeks actually.

S22: 2x daily Apr, 3x daily May-Oct
W22: 2x daily Nov, 3x daily Dec-Jan, 2x daily Feb-Mar
S23: 3x daily Apr-Oct
W23: 2x daily Nov, 3->4x daily Dec-Jan, 3x daily Feb-Mar
S24: 3x daily Apr-
YYZ and YUL saw similar increases over the years (1x daily to 2x daily to 3x daily during peak weeks), and all of that was helped by the fact AM couldn't add service to the US from May 2021 until September 2023.

Quote:
So compare to last winter, YVR will get an additional flight from Dec 1 to the end of the W23 season. The question is would YVR keep that additional flight for next summer, or if AM want to fly 4x daily on a route, or split it 3/1 to a different route.
Like I said, highly unlikely AM is starting GDL or MTY to Canada. Did you see all the route they are adding to the US? That will be a priority for AM in 2024. Same for Viva and the other ULCCs.

Quote:
Speaking of CM, looks like they are increasing YYZ/YUL to daily starting March(?) I believe...
Which is what I said would happen. No other alternative, really.

YVR-PTY isn't doable on the -800, and is pushing it on the Max 8.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Nov 5, 2023 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
It looks like AC has isn't operating YOW-EWR at all until Jan. 8th? Is this due to the CRJ exit mentioned a few posts back?

GDL is actually a very major city in Mexico, and Vancouver has a big Mexican population many of whom are from that region, so it makes sense. Not for Flair though lol, it's an odd addition coming from them, it would be more something for AC or AM honestly. It isn't like a Phoenix or one of Flair's other sun spots, it is much more an actual city akin to Mexico City, not a resort spot at all. We tend to think of Mexico as having one major "real" city, and then a bunch of beach cities that may be large and have their own residents, but for Canadians they are very much sun getaways. I am very glad to see this add, I know many Mexican residents here will be pleased as well (and with the lower price!). But moreso, I kind of hope AC will see this and announces their own service to GDL, maybe 3 or 4 weekly (they aren't big on 2 or less frequency for non-beach destinations). Airlines tend to get competitive when someone else gets into a big market; if no one is operating it, sometimes airlines will leave it unserved thinking they aren't losing out. But all of a sudden someone else is doing it, big airlines like AC might try and edge them out. AC just started YYZ-MTY 3-4 times a week, so they obviously have secondary non-resort destinations on their radar. Who knows, I prefer AC and don't trust Flair to keep and nurture routes like this, but glad to gave it for now.

OK I know I am going to sound like a broken record, since I mentioned this on the old thread quite a bit. I am still surprised what Air Canada is doing out east. YUL had always been very popular for Francophone routes to Europe (in France, Geneva, etc.). But AC seemed very clear that YYZ was its global hub, and that's where they were going to build up. Post-covid, or maybe even before, AC seems to be snubbing YYZ in favour of YUL, it's insane the route growth they've had at YUL, and to all over (India, Africa, Europe of course). YYZ was the undisputed king for European routes other than Francophone. Now it seems they are dividing things up almost 50/50! Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Bogota, Delhi, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Venice are all routes I would have thought AC would keep exclusively at YYZ, and grow as demand warranted. Yet here we are. And YYZ might be busy, but it is not THAT overcrowded that AC couldn't increase capacity there if it wanted to keep the "global hub" idea. They are not Heathrow or Schipol, if AC wanted to have all those routes at YYZ and increase frequencies, the airport could handle it. AC is levelling the international field between the two in a big way, I didn't see that coming, I thought they were really thinking to make YYZ a behemoth, but that hasn't been the case. Good for YUL, it isn't easy being a smaller airport located not far from another larger airport in the same country, the larger airport tends to reap the prize routes. But somehow AC is letting YUL take a much bigger share, I wonder if someone at YYZ pissed them off lol!

I see AC still has YVR-YQB (5x weekly) and YYC-YQB (3x weekly) scheduled for next summer on Rouge. I am surprised by this, and not sure if they will update it, but I was thinking AC would keep YVR at least on mainline like they are doing in winter. It's not like it uses a hot commodity like a 787 that would be needed for long-haul international, it's a 737 in winter. I know 5x weekly Rouge is a decent capacity boost over 3x 737, but still, using Rouge seems unnatural at YVR now lol, they went from a big presence at YVR years ago to nothing now, at all. It is this random YQB flight and that's it. Even weirder is AC keeping YYC-YQB, at 3 days at that. I cannot see any rationale for them keeping this, no inbound really on either end, and after their last cut, they went down to bare bones. It's weird to just hand over all those other major routes like LAX and FRA to others, but then keep a weird Rouge flight to Quebec.

Sorry for the long post, I went for a couple months away from the forum (not because of the forum, just personal unrelated things) and so I feel like there's a lot to say
Such heavy demand for Europe has worked in favour of YUL, 6th freedom passengers are in high demand from both YYZ/YUL, and AC is making good money.

This in turn enables AC to open complimentary routes to Europe from YUL. (In the case of ARN, YYZ service compliments YYZ ) They can double the pax they can attract in the US with good connections from YUL and a mix of strong O&D to Europe from Montreal.

Win Win

I fully expect the list of European destinations from YUL to expand even further once AC's 321XLR arrive. Which will in turn free up widebody airplanes for YVR-Europe.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:13 AM

Sounds like WS requested slots for YYZ/YHZ-Europe in S24, with DUB / EDI being specifically named.

Doesn’t mean it’ll happen (they also requested those slots for S23 as well) but it’s good to see the interest is still there.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:48 PM

WS adding 4 new Transborder routes for S24:

Effective June 20:
WS1030 YEG 11:30 - 13:32 SFO 737 13467
WS1031 SFO 14:25 - 18:25 YEG 737 13467

Effective May 2:
WS1420 YEG 09:35 - 14:24 BNA 737 47
WS1421 BNA 15:15 - 18:29 YEG 737 47

Effective April 29:
WS1902 YEG 00:45 - 07:06 ATL 737 D
WS1029 ATL 09:05 - 11:50 YEG 737 D

Effective April 28:
WS1582 YVR 23:35 - 07:01+1 DTW 737 D
WS1583 DTW 09:00 - 1055 YVR 737 D

YEG-ATL is year-round, well the others are summer seasonal. With the latest round of red-eyes, being curious if they go after a red-eye bound for JFK too at some point.

WS has really built up its presence in ATL, going from a single daily to upwards of 5 in S24.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:58 PM

Looks like airlines love the extended transborder hours from YVR.

Now YVR have red-eye flights departing after 2100 to JFK, BOS, ORD, IAH, DFW, ATL, MSP, CLT, DTW, plus late night departures to LAX, SFO.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Looks like airlines love the extended transborder hours from YVR.

Now YVR have red-eye flights departing after 2100 to JFK, BOS, ORD, IAH, DFW, ATL, MSP, CLT, DTW, plus late night departures to LAX, SFO.
Given the number of late US bound flights, wonder if pre-clearance hours will be extended?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Given the number of late US bound flights, wonder if pre-clearance hours will be extended?
Pre-clearance already run till 23:30 starting this summer, and the last US-bound flight departs 23:55. No need to extend it further.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Pre-clearance already run till 23:30 starting this summer, and the last US-bound flight departs 23:55. No need to extend it further.
Didn't realize pre-clearance has been extended for S24. Appreciate the update.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
USCBP website says preclearance at YVR runs from 4:30AM til 12:00AM, but I wouldn’t be surprised if airlines tell passengers to make sure they pass through by 11pm.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/preclearance

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:35 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
WS adding 4 new Transborder routes for S24:

Effective June 20:
WS1030 YEG 11:30 - 13:32 SFO 737 13467
WS1031 SFO 14:25 - 18:25 YEG 737 13467

Effective May 2:
WS1420 YEG 09:35 - 14:24 BNA 737 47
WS1421 BNA 15:15 - 18:29 YEG 737 47

Effective April 29:
WS1902 YEG 00:45 - 07:06 ATL 737 D
WS1029 ATL 09:05 - 11:50 YEG 737 D

Effective April 28:
WS1582 YVR 23:35 - 07:01+1 DTW 737 D
WS1583 DTW 09:00 - 1055 YVR 737 D

YEG-ATL is year-round, well the others are summer seasonal. With the latest round of red-eyes, being curious if they go after a red-eye bound for JFK too at some point.

WS has really built up its presence in ATL, going from a single daily to upwards of 5 in S24.
Three solid destinations and two incredible hubs for YEG on WJ. Nice

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Three solid destinations and two incredible hubs for YEG on WJ. Nice
I hope these flights don’t get Swooped! 🫣

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I hope these flights don’t get Swooped! 🫣
Well given that Swoop no longer exists...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
But will someone with a bit more flair just push them out. We will see.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I meant that since the Swoop aircraft were just transferred over and haven’t yet gotten new paint/livery/cabin reconfigurations yet, unsuspecting customers may be transported on a former Swoop aircraft.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:04 AM

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
roundtrip economy fares on flights operated by competitors on the YVR-NRT route start at about ¥200,000 or approximately CA$1,800
Maybe that's what full price economy fares cost, but you can definitely get fares to Tokyo cheaper than that on Air Canada/ANA/JAL from Vancouver. Pre-pandemic they were often under CA$1000 return.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRT_BMT_IND View Post
Maybe that's what full price economy fares cost, but you can definitely get fares to Tokyo cheaper than that on Air Canada/ANA/JAL from Vancouver. Pre-pandemic they were often under CA$1000 return.
Post pandemic, you're lucky to find anything under $3000 during peak months, unless you book maybe 4-6 months ahead. Right now I'll snatch anything under $1500 during those months without second thought.

Just checked the fare right now, for Nov, Jan, Feb, and very early March, you can find round-trip for about $1150. Every other months it's almost $2000, or more.

Full fare economy should be around $6000 round-trip. Both are more expensive if your trip origins in Japan I believe.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 7:05 AM

Looks like AC will restart YYC-YOW from May. 1x daily A223 -> A320 -> A321

The following routes will become winter seasonal:
YYZ-SCL
YVR-OGG

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Looks like AC will restart YYC-YOW from May. 1x daily A223 -> A320 -> A321

The following routes will become winter seasonal:
YYZ-SCL
YVR-OGG
I guess by then they think they'll have a larger pool of pilots. Pretty tough to attract pax from your two main competitors without a nonstop on the busiest non-hub at either end (for AC) transcon route.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 8:06 AM

WS appears to be dropping YYC-LGW for S24. Be interesting to see where that 787 ends up getting re-deployed. No other changes were filed as far as I can tell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada