HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 9:19 PM

Oh yeah, it's top secret stuff. There were all these scary signs, they said something like: "TRESPASSERS WILL INEVITABLY BE ELECTROCUTED BY HIGH VOLTAGE OVERHEAD LINES"

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 2:22 AM

Not as cool as the 'GT' version other cities seem to have, but these cars are still WAY better than what Trax is using right now. It's kind of embarrassing seeing those old cars out there downtown. It looks like a bunch of old, dirty buses attached to each other on a rail. See this is why I'm excited about 2012. New Trax, rail, and most of downtown construction will be complete, roads will be nice, etc. It'll look great.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 8:00 AM

By the way things are looking on the mid-jordan line out where I live, it'll be done mid-2011.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 12:23 AM

Mid-2011 is exactly what UTA has forecasted for now. It was originally 2012 but they said they're a year ahead of schedule.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:52 AM

As always. I hope the airport line will be done early as well, but with all the concrete and viaduct, I imagine they'll be a little more accurate in their predicted completion date.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 10:52 PM

I doubt the airport line will open significantly early. The viaduct is scheduled to close April 18th, and no construction will take place between 1000 West and 600 West while the viaduct is under construction. So construction in that stretch will be the last to start and last to finish. If it doesn't start until the end of 2011, it will be tough to get it complete within a year. Who knows, if things are under budget by that point, the weather is relatively good, and there are no major unforeseen circumstances, maybe it could open a few months ahead, but I would not hold my breath. I think November 2012 is realistic.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 11:42 AM

UDOT wants public informed about Utah construction projects in works

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-projects.html

...At 5400 South from Redwood Road to Bangerter Highway, there will be lane restrictions and night closures as UDOT installs "flex lanes," or lanes that will switch directions to accommodate morning and afternoon commutes using electronic signs.

The Mountain View Corridor, a road that will eventually be a freeway roughly along 5600 West, is under construction in the southern part of Salt Lake County. At cross streets such as 16000 South and Old Bingham Highway, there could be delays through 2013...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
UDOT wants public informed about Utah construction projects in works

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-projects.html

...At 5400 South from Redwood Road to Bangerter Highway, there will be lane restrictions and night closures as UDOT installs "flex lanes," or lanes that will switch directions to accommodate morning and afternoon commutes using electronic signs.

The Mountain View Corridor, a road that will eventually be a freeway roughly along 5600 West, is under construction in the southern part of Salt Lake County. At cross streets such as 16000 South and Old Bingham Highway, there could be delays through 2013...

Wasn't the master plan for Bangerter way back in the day for it to be another highway without intersection crossings? If they want to improve traffic flow on Bangerter UDOT needs to start doing diamon overpass interchanges, especially on the busiest intersections. 10600, 6200, 5400, 7200 and 4700 south. I don't know why, I'm just not the biggest fan of the continuos flow intersections. Are they really that much better than normal interchanges?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 12:34 PM

North Temple viaduct to close down

The Salt Lake Tribune
By Kathy McKitrick

The North Temple viaduct, a major connector between the core of Utah's capital city and points west, will close Sunday at 6 a.m. for an 18-month demolition and renovation.

This artist's rendering shows a rebuilt North Temple viaduct looking south toward The Gateway with FrontRunner going under the overpass and the airport TRAX line extending across the viaduct. The old viaduct's demolition starts Sunday, with total cost of the remake set at $71 million. Source: Utah Transit Authority

The $71 million rebuild is a key part of Utah Transit Authority's future light-rail TRAX line to Salt Lake City's International Airport. That project is projected to cost $350 million.

The current viaduct stretches from 300 West to 600 West and spans rail yards and tracks that are still in use by Union Pacific and UTA's FrontRunner commuter rail system. So dismantling must occur in segments when areas beneath are not in use. That process should take about eight weeks, said UTA spokesman Gerry Carpenter.

On Sunday, crews will start stripping off the asphalt and removing the light structures, Carpenter said. After that comes removal of the peripheral infrastructure.

"Because it's over an active rail line, they have to cut it out in segments," Carpenter said, noting that cranes will remove the steel and concrete, which will get recycled and reused.

UTA recommends that motorists use 400 South and 600 North as alternate routes to avoid potential delays at railroad crossings.

The new structure will descend at 400 West instead of 300 West, Carpenter said, with a built-in TRAX lane, security lighting, bike and pedestrian paths, and a transfer station where riders can switch between FrontRunner and TRAX.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 6:16 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

North Temple viaduct closes; project irks some, satisfies others

There's nothing like major construction to curb business along a thoroughfare, but at least one business on North Temple is finding a way to celebrate the 18-month shutdown of the vital viaduct that connects the westside commercial district with downtown.

The owners of Mestizo Coffeehouse, 641 West N. Temple, are taking advantage of the reduced traffic to obtain a permit to throw an arts festival July 10 on what is normally one of Salt Lake City's busiest streets. The event will mark the cafe's second anniversary of operation at CitiFront, a mixed-use development across 600 West from the construction zone.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_14910460

One of the comments in there is what I consider short sighted vision. "We will have to lower the rent and do whatever we have to do to help them," said Timothy, whose family owns property at 800 West and North Temple, where a Pizza Hut sits. "I don't think it will ever be a walking area."

I look at it like this, this man has owned this property for many years and has always seen N. Temple dominated by cars, and you can't blame him for thinking the above statement. In all honesty though, people really need to look ahead, think of what could be. The direction that Trax has taken the SLC Metro is incredible, the want and desire that so many cities have to get a spur and the push to bring street cars back to SLC and the developments occurring adjacent to transit are fantastic. Transit will be a major player in the future of our metro. Even if current car owners don't convert to full transit use and even if only a portion of new residents choose to use transit as their primary means of transportation, with the projected increase in population up and down the Wasatch Front, transit corridors such as N. Temple and 400 S. are going to be prime locations to do just as the City and UTA envision. Create a Grand Boulevard for residents and business and create large areas of the city that are dominated by transit and pedestrians.

I honestly wish I had some money to invest for the long term, there are many properties on N. Temple and 400 S that I would love to purchase.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 8:49 PM

I'm a lot more keen to the idea of North Temple catering to more pedestrians than I am some other major streets, i.e. State Street.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Why are you against the idea of making State Street pedestrian friendly?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 10:37 PM

Don't play the straw man game. I didn't say I was against the idea of making State Street pedestrian friendly, I said, "I'm a lot more keen to the idea of North Temple catering to more pedestrians than I am some other major streets, i.e. State Street."

First of all, "pedestrian friendliness" is subjective. There is no point at which a street is or is not friendly to pedestrians, like you suggest. A street with several cross-walks, low speed limits, small parking lots/close buildings is more convenient to pedestrians than a street with few cross-walks, high speed limits, etc. But whether or not State Street fits the criteria of "pedestrian friendly" or not is a matter of opinion. I personally think the pedestrian provisions on State are adequate for the amount of pedestrians it caters to.

If what you meant to ask was "Why are you opposed to increasing pedestrian-oriented provisions on State Street," then again, you would still be incorrect in assuming I'm against all pedestrian provisions on State. If what you meant to ask was "Why are you more inclined to support pedestrian provisions on North Temple than State Street" (which is really all you could've asked), then my answer would simply be because State Street is one of the major thoroughfares of the valley and caters primarily to auto-oriented businesses (I already posted my opinion on this, you can look it up), whereas North Temple has less auto-oriented businesses, less traffic, is a smaller area to work with, and has an important trax line already payed for.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 10:59 PM
Lurker

agreed. State Street is abundant in car dealerships, big stores (Sears), Grand America, etc. The shops aren't like those on 300 south or Main street that are actually pedestrian friendly. It's also ridiculously wide. Main Street and 300 South (Broadway) are comfortable and fun places to walk. Good luck getting me to walk down State Street rather than one parallel to it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 2:29 AM
BANNED

State Street is very unfriendly to pedestrians. In some places there are not even sidewalks. In most cases there is no buffer between the street and the sidewalk, so when the snow plows come in the wintertime, all the snow gets pushed up on to the sidewalk, making the winter walking experience miserable.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 3:20 AM
Lurker

I guess setting the sidewalk back or removing a lane would be good ideas. There's not much else that can be done to make State Street more walkable though, right?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Encourage businesses and car dealerships to build their buildings and showrooms up against the sidewalk. Line the street with trees. Rezone for mixed-use to encourage residential development, etc.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 7:59 AM

At least make State Street more pedestrian friendly in the SLC area, especially downtown. I'm always paranoid when crossing the intersections there because of the crazy amount of cars, especially the ones turning.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post

Encourage businesses and car dealerships to build their buildings and showrooms up against the sidewalk. Line the street with trees. Rezone for mixed-use to encourage residential development, etc.
You have to do more than just encourage it, cities need to require businesses to be close to the street, at least 50% of the street facing facade should be next to the sidewalk. Cities really need to abandon the zoning that require auto oriented strip commercial.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 2:47 PM
Lurker

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West