HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Or, he's achieving what he always really wanted, implementing a process he initiated by choosing a wife who would help him to get to where he wanted to be.
This.

IMHO people make a mistake thinking Harry who saw his mother hounded to death by papparazzi wanted to continue on as usual in the royal household. Those of us old enough will remember the image of him having to walk behind his mother's coffin, and totally understand why he'd want out:

“My mother had just died, and I had to walk a long way behind her coffin, surrounded by thousands of people watching me while millions more did on television,” Prince Harry said.
“I don’t think any child should be asked to do that, under any circumstances. I don’t think it would happen today.”

Read more: https://www.inquisitr.com/4315147/pr...#ixzz6BVw20Ue8

[IMG]harry-diana-funeral-index-1498056377 by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]
Credit: Harpers Bazaar

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:24 PM

he knows there is no point to stay he is getting further removed from ascending with each baby his brother pumps out.
who wants a life of cutting ribbons while being hounded by paparazzi?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
In addition to my astrological-based prediction: Meghan is a Rooster and Harry a Rat in Chinese astrology: not compatible long term!

In the upcoming year of the rat Meghan may be roosting on her own.
shes reportedly in Canada or LA now, he isn't here

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:44 AM

Had a chuckle when I saw the clip of Harry getting off a WestJet Encore Q400 in Victoria. I'm sure he was thinking "yep, this is the life I want to lead" lol. At least he had a car waiting right on the tarmac instead of going inside and waiting at the curb lol.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Had a chuckle when I saw the clip of Harry getting off a WestJet Encore Q400 in Victoria. I'm sure he was thinking "yep, this is the life I want to lead" lol. At least he had a car waiting right on the tarmac instead of going inside and waiting at the curb lol.
Yes, that's what the smile on his face would suggest ...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:08 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Yes, that's what the smile on his face would suggest ...
I think he is quite happy with his decision (at least for the time being).

The more I think of it, the more I have become convinced that there is a lot of emotional trauma in Harry emanating from the manner of his mother's death when he was so young. This has strongly influenced his decision making at this time of personal crisis. I wish him well.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:23 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

At this moment, he simply needs a place where his neighbours will fend off the tabloids on his behalf.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think he is quite happy with his decision (at least for the time being).

The more I think of it, the more I have become convinced that there is a lot of emotional trauma in Harry emanating from the manner of his mother's death when he was so young. This has strongly influenced his decision making at this time of personal crisis. I wish him well.
Just imagine what Meghan is thinking. I hope nothing happens to her.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:34 PM
BANNED

So two rich english speakers are thinking of buying a vacation home? Because they are both tired of being around pretentious rich folk?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:18 AM
recession proof

Harry and Meghan are tired of being second class citizens in England so now they're trying to become King and Queen of Canada.

Maybe a few hundred thousand English people will follow them over here.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:34 AM

If I ever run into Harry and Meghan I will not be following this ridiculous advice. What a complete fucking nutcase this woman is.

How to say 'Hi' to Harry and Meghan, according to an etiquette expert

Bow, curtsy, maybe even shake hands — but never tap them on the shoulder

Ben Mussett · CBC · Posted: Jan 22, 2020 6:00 AM PT | Last Updated: January 22

If British Columbians happen to spot the much-talked-about Duke and Duchess of Sussex, treat them like cats: let them come to you.

At least, that's according to Vancouver etiquette expert Elizabeth Burnett.

"I would wait for them to attend to me," Burnett told Kathryn Marlow, guest host of CBC's All Point West. "I wouldn't just go up and tap him on the shoulder and say, 'Oh, hello, Harry, how are you?'"

"We have to remember that Harry will always be royal," she added. "It's in his blood."

If presented to the newcomers, Burnett advised people to bow or curtsy. And never, she said, touch a royal. Instead, stand straight forward facing them with your arms at your sides.

However, Burnett also encouraged people to consider the situation before deciding how exactly to interact with the world's currently-most-watched couple. Perhaps such strict formality would be out of place on a Vancouver Island hiking trail.

"But you certainly wouldn't go up and start putting your hand out because they would offer their hand to you first and then you would shake hands," said Burnett, founder and president of Elizabeth Etiquette, an etiquette school.

She said they should still be addressed as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, titles they still officially hold, along with the Earl and Countess of Dumbarton and the Baron and Baroness Kilkeel.

However, using those titles in Canada might be an issue. The Nickle Resolution of 1919 effectively bans foreign titles of nobility for Canadian citizens and anyone "domiciled or living in Canada." It's not clear how the resolution applies to people who already have titles when they come here.

And, in the end, the pair may prefer simply Harry and Meghan, anyway.

"They would like to be treated, I believe, as just one of the locals," said Burnett.

Full story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ette-1.5435691

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:37 AM
recession proof

If I ever run into them on Gabriola Island: Bonjour Hi

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:41 AM

Isn't the whole point that Harry is not a Royal Highness anymore? No reason not to touch him should I encounter him in the street. "Dude! Nice to meet ya!" and shaking his hand or patting him on the shoulder.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
If presented to the newcomers, Burnett advised people to bow or curtsy. And never, she said, touch a royal. Instead, stand straight forward facing them with your arms at your sides.

[...]

And, in the end, the pair may prefer simply Harry and Meghan, anyway.

"They would like to be treated, I believe, as just one of the locals," said Burnett.
Aren't those parts totally contradictory?

"Treat them like perfectly normal locals, i.e. bow and stand at attention if you see them while making sure you don't come close to touching them."

As resolution to the contradiction, I'm betting the latter is correct and the former incorrect; if what Harry wanted was to have strangers bowing to him left and right every time he's out and about, he'd have stayed in England.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Aren't those parts totally contradictory?

"Treat them like perfectly normal locals, i.e. bow and stand at attention if you see them while making sure you don't come close to touching them."

As resolution to the contradiction, I'm betting the latter is correct and the former incorrect; if what Harry wanted was to have strangers bowing to him left and right every time he's out and about, he'd have stayed in England.
Yeah, she totally contradicted herself at the end.

If people walked up to them and offered to shake their hands and just talk to them they would probably love that. I can see them being concerned if people ran toward them but who wouldn't be. Same for taking photos. It's just common sense to respect people's privacy. If I ever ran into them in Calgary and actually recognized them I would just welcome them to the city and tell them that they made the right decision.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
If I ever run into them on Gabriola Island: Bonjour Hi
I believe that, in B.C., that would be "Hi bonjour".

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Yeah, she totally contradicted herself at the end.

If people walked up to them and offered to shake their hands and just talk to them they would probably love that. I can see them being concerned if people ran toward them but who wouldn't be. Same for taking photos. It's just common sense to respect people's privacy. If I ever ran into them in Calgary and actually recognized them I would just welcome them to the city and tell them that they made the right decision.
You had me right up to that point. Why on earth would you feel the need to comment on their personal business? A simple welcome is quite enough.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's an interesting question.

If I was casually strolling down a coastal trail in BC, and happened to make eye contact with the duke & duchess as they walked by in the opposite direction, formerly I might have bowed slightly and acknowledged them as they walked by by quietly saying "Your Highnesses"

Since they are no longer HRHs (but still prince and princess), it might no longer be appropriate to say "Your Highness", but somehow "My Lord" doesn't seem appropriate either. I would imagine the best greeting would be "Sir", and/or Ma'am (for Meghan)."

This is still Canada after all, and they are members of the royal family, so it would not be appropriate to say "Howdy Harry"

Thoughts???

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:

If I was casually strolling down a coastal trail in BC, and happened to make eye contact with the duke & duchess as they walked by in the opposite direction, formerly I might have bowed slightly and acknowledged them as they walked by by quietly saying "Your Highnesses"

Since they are no longer HRHs (but still prince and princess), it might no longer be appropriate to say "Your Highness", but somehow "My Lord" doesn't seem appropriate either. I would imagine the best greeting would be "Sir", and/or Ma'am (for Meghan)."

This is still Canada after all, and they are members of the royal family, so it would not be appropriate to say "Howdy Harry"

Thoughts???
I don't think you can go wrong with "Sir" and "Madam". Is it appropriate to first call them "Duke" and "Duchess", at least while they're here as visitors rather than as immigrants?

Edit: That last bit makes me think of the "Keep your fork, Duke. There's pie" story.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:

Thoughts???
The customary address for a Duke who is not a Prince is "your grace" so I suppose that's correct.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada