HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etoile View Post
Hello,

I just wanted to know if others had thought of adding balcony unfinihed on 30 day form?

It is a exclusive items to unit and there are working on it somewhat, looks like they are getting ready to pour cement, not sure?

Tarion would be able to tell me what to do, I guess I will have to call them. I am close to my date when all 30 day and pre-delivery items are supposed to all be fixed, June 9th, times a ticking.

I guess from your responses you are not in HP 04-05 units, correct? I believe up to the 12th floor is moved in after that no idea. I am disappointed that I had to live with man lift for 4 months and now I have to live without a balcony and for how long no one knows, it just seems unfair as other owners benefit and have no lack of balcony use because 04/05 had to put up with all the crap....just seems wrong to me? I guess that is why the city made Charlesfort have everyone sign a letter, but did everyone realize (lawyers and owners) that the man lift noise acknowledgement would turn into no balcony use.etc ...I didn't?

I'm not impressed, can you tell? BTW, the way Charlesfort track the PDI and 30 day, well I have no idea how they can track. I have not signed anything and I am still waiting for items to be dealt with, so it kind of shows it needs tweeking. How can you manage a business when the left doesn't know what the right is doing...you've heard that before.

Enough about my disappointment, anyone concur, please advise. I will call Tarion today.

Etoile
Any update Etoile on how it went with Tarion and Charlesfort? Did everything get fixed to your satisfaction?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 11:58 PM

edit: Wrong "blah"...

Last edited by ServiceGuy; Dec 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Condo prices up 22.5% in year
Home listings remain tight, board president says

By Robert Bostelaar, The Ottawa Citizen, February 4, 2010

Condominium prices are continuing to increase markedly faster than those for other types of housing, as a resurgent real estate market helps sellers forget the doldrums of early 2009.

Real estate agents sold 156 condos and 557 other homes for an overall 35-per-cent sales increase from January 2009, when Ottawa, like other markets, was in the trough of a recession.

"These numbers are more in line with what we might expect for a typical January," said Pierre de Varennes, president of the Ottawa Real Estate Board.

The average condo price rose to $259,273, a jump of 22.5 per cent over January of last year, while the average for other properties increased 8.2 per cent to $338,244.

The average for all residential properties, condos included, was $320,966, an increase of 11.4 per cent over January 2009.

Condominiums, in high-rise buildings and low-rise developments, have been the hottest part of the resale market in recent months. In December, condo sales jumped by 61 per cent and the average price rose 18 per cent, compared to December 2008.

For all of 2009, sales were up 7.5 per cent and the average price 6.2 per cent.

De Varennes said home listings remain in short supply.

"But we expect that will change as we head into the spring market and interest rates remain low."
While it's music to the ears of all of us new condo owners, it should also be that for urbanists on this forum. Condos are slowly (at a decidedly Ottawa pace) becomming desirable places to live and our inner city neighbourhoods (Centretowne, Byward, Westboro, Glebe) are reaping the benefits. More people means more (and better) services like transit, restaurants, retail, and even streetscapes (i.e. Bank Street, King Edward, Wellington facelifts). Very exciting time to be living in the city!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 1:24 PM

So we all know if condos gain value between buying them and construction you win, but what happens if the value goes the other way. Interesting video.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...src=canadanews

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 3:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Condo Scene: Just what is interim occupancy?

Marilyn Wilson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 4, 2015 | Last Updated: August 4, 2015 8:00 AM EDT

When you buy a new condo from a builder, you may not legally own it when you think you do.

Most people think that once their condo is built and they have their key in hand, they are the legal owner. This is not necessarily the case. The day you get the key may be the first day of what is known as interim occupancy. You will be a registered owner on title only when the condominium development declares itself a condominium corporation.

What is interim occupancy? It’s the interval between the day you take possession of your purchased condo unit and the day the condo developer actually declares the condo a registered condominium.

This interval may be anywhere from days to months, and occasionally six months or longer. Cathedral Hill, for example, has already been occupied by many owners but is not yet a registered condominium. It’s expected it will be registered by the end of August, yet some residents took their interim occupancy in May.

What does that mean for the owners? They pay fees to the builder to cover estimated taxes and estimated condo fees and interest. During interim occupancy, owners typically move into units on lower floors first and, as the builder continues to construct higher into the sky, owners of condos on higher floors may take occupancy.

Interim occupancy is also the period during which owners list any deficiencies and point them out to the builder so that they may be fixed before the development is completed. During this time, the builder will have the right to enter your condo to assess and address your concerns. For some early occupiers, this may be quite disruptive and annoying, plus living on a construction site means dust, noise and dirt may invade your living space.

On the other hand, some buyers actually enjoy living in a condo construction site. It certainly can be exciting to see the evolution of the project. After all, condo developments typically take a year or two from public release to move-in time, during which they may be associated with plenty of hype.

The residents at Brad Lamb’s Gotham are among those who are living in a nearly finished condo. One owner decided to purchase their unit after a two-year search. They ultimately chose the building in part because it’s well located downtown on Lyon Street. One of the things they loved is that it has few amenities, meaning they won’t pay condo fees for features they won’t use.

Unfortunately, they are relocating and may post their condo for sale during the interim occupancy period. Many condo developments will not allow purchasers to list their units for sale until the condominium is a registered corporation. But in this case, because the condo project was delayed, the developer gave them the go-ahead to sell. Gotham is now scheduled to be finished by October.

Delays can occur with even the most prestigious developers, often for reasons that are beyond their control. As a result, interim occupancy is a not unusual issue. The most important thing to do if considering interim occupancy is to discuss buyer obligations with your lawyer. These will include estimated condo fees and taxes, interest payable on the balance of the purchase price as well as any other caveats such as the right to sell during interim occupancy, consequences of not completing the development on schedule, etc. That way you are less likely to encounter unpleasant surprises.

Marilyn Wilson has been selling real estate for more than 25 years and owns Marilyn Wilson Dream Properties Inc. Christie’s International Real Estate. Reach her through dreamproperties.com.

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/...erim-occupancy

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 11:50 PM

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/...ng-in-security

The great debate on condo living for those who have lived in detached homes is whether it will intensify interactions with neighbours. Private people may fear moving to a condo will bring a level of intrusiveness, while others think it will enhance their sense of security.

The best part about closer quarters is that condo communities often become like extended families, where the members look out and care for one another. This can give residents a real sense of security and many seek this kind of environment when purchasing a new condo.

This is not to say that the facility itself cannot offer privacy. You are particularly able to maintain a higher level of privacy if your unit has amenities that allow you to avoid common areas. For example, terraces mean that you do not have to visit rooftop or courtyard gardens for exposure to the outdoors.

Of course there is a flip side to this coin; many people want social interaction and an active community life within the convenience of their building, especially as temperatures drop. It’s lovely to chat with 16B while waiting for the elevator or find out how 10C’s children are doing at college while collecting your mail. The upshot is that you can be as involved in your building community as you would like.

Whether or not you have close friends living in your building, you can achieve a high level of security. Consider developing a neighbourhood watch-type program, where friends check on each other’s units when someone is out of town.

If you would rather leave your security to building design and security staff, this is another option. Here are some things to consider to ensure your building offers maximum security.
Hold the door

Even in a building with a concierge and entry codes, part of the security rests with residents. I enter many condos each week where people hold the door open for me, often with a smile and never asking, “Who are you?”

Though the door openers are being friendly and helpful, they really need to ask the important question. In large developments, it’s highly unlikely you will get to know every neighbour so it behooves you to find out if they live in the building before admitting them.

It really is up to condo residents and their guests to make sure the entrance opens only for authorized visitors. Some people may feel awkward about not holding a door open, but this one thing is an extremely important issue that all condo buildings should discuss at length. Everyone must do his or her part as a team to make the building secure.
The drive-in

The same principles apply when entering or exiting your garage. Two condo developments I know of had intruders enter via the buildings’ garages after residents drove in or out. When the door closes automatically behind you, it’s easy to drive off without another thought about the garage. You’re ready to go and on your way — why look back?

The buildings in question eliminated this avenue to crime by placing cameras by the garage doors and instructing residents to watch the doors close behind them. In addition, the condo corporation installed locks on all interior doorways. But instead of waiting for a problem like this, be proactive.

Today developers are continually considering new ways to make residents feel safe. Some have well-lit garages, which were not the norm years go. Other buildings have emergency phone stations in common areas. And still others have concierge services to help residents and make the entire development feel more secure.

Basically, there is something for everyone — regardless of personality. When shopping for a condo, make sure you explore the security issues and concerns associated with the neighbourhood and get the lowdown on the security being offered by the developer you choose.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 3:07 PM

restrictive covenants on freehold townhomes

I live in a freehold townhouse. There are various urban myths floating around the neighbourhood on restrictive covenants but I went over the package that came back from the lawyer and and while there were many easements listed I could find no reference to any covenants. Does anyone know how these are listed on real estate documents?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I live in a freehold townhouse. There are various urban myths floating around the neighbourhood on restrictive covenants but I went over the package that came back from the lawyer and and while there were many easements listed I could find no reference to any covenants. Does anyone know how these are listed on real estate documents?
usually included in the pack from the lawyer as an annex. sounds like you're good.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
usually included in the pack from the lawyer as an annex. sounds like you're good.
Thank you.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion