HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 12:22 AM

Is Danny gonna have a concert site or is Paradise gonna be the new big place. Also any rumours on concerts this summer?

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 12:55 AM

Any word on the new Costco?

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Not started, from what I'm told.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 10:20 AM

There's nothing started up at Galway. I drove through there last week. The roads are roughly paved. I think there's one model home under construction nearby. The retail area is just a big flat cleared area with a cemetery across the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
There's nothing started up at Galway. I drove through there last week. The roads are roughly paved. I think there's one model home under construction nearby. The retail area is just a big flat cleared area with a cemetery across the street.
Is it worth the drive from the east end to see Galway?

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:36 PM

I wouldn't make a special trip for it. There's only one main road so far that goes from the retail area near the water tanks to the industrial area. I wasn't actually out to the industrial area though so not sure what's on the go out there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Is it worth the drive from the east end to see Galway?

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:33 PM

I'm blown away by the house pricing at Galway, although I probably shouldn't be surprised that it's overpriced... I mean that does seem to happen wherever Costco goes (must be a Newfoundland thing).

Was just in the market for a new home, waited around a couple extra months until some legitimate details came out from the various builders and promptly decided I could get significantly better bang for my buck anywhere else in the city.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
I'm blown away by the house pricing at Galway, although I probably shouldn't be surprised that it's overpriced... I mean that does seem to happen wherever Costco goes (must be a Newfoundland thing).

Was just in the market for a new home, waited around a couple extra months until some legitimate details came out from the various builders and promptly decided I could get significantly better bang for my buck anywhere else in the city.
I was really surprised too. Over $400,000 for an attached house, I believe 4 houses attached in total. I think close to $700,000 for a two-story. They look nice but those prices are out of line.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I was really surprised too. Over $400,000 for an attached house, I believe 4 houses attached in total. I think close to $700,000 for a two-story. They look nice but those prices are out of line.
At those prices there'll be many empty lots in Galway for quite some time. Either that or Danny knows something that the rest of us don't....

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 2:14 PM

I'm hearing that permit process with City of St. John's is slowing everything down. Costco ready to go once approvals granted.

Also heard new Cineplex at Galway is in the works.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 10:57 AM

I heard a few days ago that apparently Costco isn't moving now?? It's staying in the east end? Someone told me they saw it on VOCM. Did anyone else see it?

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
I heard a few days ago that apparently Costco isn't moving now?? It's staying in the east end? Someone told me they saw it on VOCM. Did anyone else see it?
Untrue, though I doubt the new store will be ready for the anticipated move in the fall.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:08 PM

http://vocm.com/news/costco-move-del...anny-williams/

Appears Costco move still happening, pushed to beyond 2017. Not really much of a surprise.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 4:13 PM

[Costco] Heard another rumor which kind of ties into a lot of the other rumors swirling since the announced relocation of Stavanger Costco to Galway. This new one states that Costco will maintain the current location at Stavanger and turn it into a Costco Business Center while still moving it's main retail to Galway as planned.

I knew these existed in the USA but not Canada... yet.

Here's the Wiki:

Quote:
Costco Business Centers are warehouses similar to regular Costco warehouses, and are open to all Costco members, regardless of membership type. Their merchandise, though, cater predominantly to enterprises, with a focus on small businesses. Business Centers do not carry most consumer items like clothing, jewelry, media, and tires, while carrying larger quantities and more options for the business products they do carry.[125] They do not offer most of the consumer-oriented services found at regular Costco warehouses, but some locations do have a food court or a gas station or both. Also unlike regular warehouses, Costco Business Centers have a Print & Copy Center which provides printing professional services. They have large parking spaces for trucks and are capable of delivering goods to businesses in bulk quantities. Finally, opening hours are shorter than regular warehouses (usually opening at 7 am on Mondays to Saturdays and closed on Sundays), while discounts and coupons for Business Centers are issued separately from regular warehouses.[citation needed]
Locations

As of August 2016, there are 15 Costco Business Centers in the United States, located in Orlando, Florida; Phoenix, Arizona; California (Commerce, Hawthorne, Hayward, San Diego, and Westminster); Denver, Colorado; Morrow, Georgia; Bedford Park, Illinois; Hackensack, New Jersey; Las Vegas, Nevada; and Washington (Lynnwood, and Fife).[126]

The first Costco Business Center in Canada and anywhere outside the US (spelled as "Costco Business Centre") will open in Scarborough, Ontario (part of Toronto) in spring 2017.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
[Costco] Heard another rumor which kind of ties into a lot of the other rumors swirling since the announced relocation of Stavanger Costco to Galway. This new one states that Costco will maintain the current location at Stavanger and turn it into a Costco Business Center while still moving it's main retail to Galway as planned.

I knew these existed in the USA but not Canada... yet.

Here's the Wiki:
The Business Centre in Scarborough opened a couple of months ago at 50 Thermos Dr. It was previously a Zellers & briefly a Target. It's website & offerings is here: http://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:03 PM

Call me skeptical on that rumor as well.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:56 PM

Show home now open. Big market for 500K houses right for sure. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ning-1.4181572

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Show home now open. Big market for 500K houses right for sure. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ning-1.4181572
check this one out...$630,000.

https://twitter.com/GerriLynnMackey/...54449804378112

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Solid Aspenite construction is a big selling point!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Solid Aspenite construction is a big selling point!
500K-600K pressboard palaces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's