HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
"...and have started assembling the diamond crossover at Parliament Station."

First I hear of a diamond in the system.
It says a "diamond crossover".

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
A crossover is a pair of switches that connects two parallel rail tracks, allowing a train on one track to cross over to the other. Like the switches themselves, crossovers can be described as either facing or trailing.

When two crossovers are present in opposite directions, one after the other, the four-switch configuration is called a double crossover. If the crossovers in different directions overlap to form an ×, it is dubbed a scissors crossover, scissors crossing, or just scissors; or, due to the diamond in the center, a diamond crossover. This makes for a very compact track layout at the expense of using a level junction.
I'm guessing that since the track starts to curve east of Parliament station, they needed to make the crossover as compact as possible, thus the use of a diamond crossover. Most other locations will likely use conventional double crossovers (which are stacked end to end instead of overlapping).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Now, lets say a developer wants to build on adjacent land, this deck would make good parking or a nice entrance way to one of those future buildings, then it might happen. It would be paid for by the developer.
Exactly. Tunnies Pasture is a likely candidate for that. They could possibly even put the buildings partially on top of the track There is no need for the city to cap the track themselves, but for a developer, it could be worth while as it gives them more land to work with. The RendezVous LeBreton Group plan to deck over the line between Pimisi and Bayview.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
When you view the Construction Reports in Chrome, click the "Open full screen" option, then when you right-click on each image, you'll choose "Copy link address".
I tried that. It copies the link for the construction update page and not the actual picture.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Seems to me the sound wall would be more useful on the other side of the train tracks.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Seems to me the sound wall would be more useful on the other side of the train tracks.
VIA approached the city about doing that, but some of the residents opposed the idea. Not sure if they didn't want it that close to their property or if they liked watching the trains go by.

If VIA can get money for upgrades and electrification, the trains will be much quieter.

Here is an interesting video showing German ICE trains passing at different speeds. They seem quieter at the higher speeds, possibly because they aren't accelerating.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It says a "diamond crossover".

From Wikipedia:

I'm guessing that since the track starts to curve east of Parliament station, they needed to make the crossover as compact as possible, thus the use of a diamond crossover. Most other locations will likely use conventional double crossovers (which are stacked end to end instead of overlapping).
Good Day....

indeed... diamond crossovers are generally reserved for limited space locations..... there is to be one just east of Tunney's Pasture station (under the tent) as well - same reason - tight quarters, operational flexibility. The Tunney's will also be used for the change of direction at terminus purpose until the western expansion occurs, since they seem adverse to using the Montreal Metro model of tail track switching for dedicated platform directionality. The Blair station uses two sequential switches just to the west of the station for this, since it has more linear space available. As well, diamonds have the added problem of a larger gap in the center diamond frog, causing more impact fracture damage to the wheels than regular one switch frogs, even when going very slowly. Hence it is that the Parliament diamond is only for emergency use flexibility, and the Tunney's diamond will only be used regularly until the Western expansion comes online. I do not know where the other switches and crossovers are located (except of course for Belfast MSF access and yard) since we do not have the plans. Maybe we can all contribute to a RoW survey to add them up ?

EnJoy!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Yup. I think this wall will even make things worse by reflecting the sound of the noisier VIA trains back towards the houses!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:32 PM

Here are a few from OC's twitter;

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation