HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Not picking sides, but could someone with detailed airport knowledge comment on the following (in the weekend articles with Air Transit testimony):
- the pilots said they were told multiple times, "just 30 minutes and you will be serviced".... Their "30 minute promise" was broken multiple times.
- Due to their physical location on a taxiway, servicing the plane was more difficult than anticipated.
- They were one of the first to arrive (i.e. had to move to the taxiway to accommodate the A380), yet last to be serviced.
No idea about the specifics here.

However, what should be pointed out is ground handling, stairs etc. are done by different people for different airlines.

For example, Air Canada has their own people who do this in Ottawa. Air Canada also has a bunch of equipment, including stairs. Air Canada local management is going to decided if they put people on the diverted flight or their scheduled flight.

Air Transat is probably more reliant on a contractor. I don't know which one they use in Ottawa. If that specific contractor is busy, they are going to have to prioritise and decide which flight gets serviced first.

Usually these contracted ground handling companies keep enough people on staff to handle the expected workload but not much more.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
Air Canada 460/465 was assigned a Boeing 787-9 tonight - C-FGDX.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...110Z/CYYZ/CYOW
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...300Z/CYOW/CYYZ

There is a bug on Flightaware that incorrectly list the aircraft type as an Embraer 190.
Unless a couple of E90s have gone tech the past few days, this has to be due to heavy loads. Weather in Southern Ontario recently certainly has not been a factor.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

However, what should be pointed out is ground handling, stairs etc. are done by different people for different airlines.

For example, Air Canada has their own people who do this in Ottawa. Air Canada also has a bunch of equipment, including stairs. Air Canada local management is going to decided if they put people on the diverted flight or their scheduled flight.

Air Transat is probably more reliant on a contractor. I don't know which one they use in Ottawa. If that specific contractor is busy, they are going to have to prioritise and decide which flight gets serviced first.

Usually these contracted ground handling companies keep enough people on staff to handle the expected workload but not much more.
Notice how nowhere within TS' testimony did they ever say they tried contacting the YOW Duty Manager (i.e. Airport Authority), yet they first thing TS after all this happened was blame the Airport Authority. Like I said earlier, maybe if TS actually flew here year-round, they'd get a bit more respect around these parts.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

Contracting out stairs seems in Ottawa seems a bit peculiar to me. The vast majority of the gates have bridges and most small plains have stairs built in, so how often do they actually use stairs in a day? The airport needs to have some in case needed, but it doesn't make sense to contract it out as where the airport could just assign one of their regular staff to operate the stairs on an as needed basis, unless the contractor had other responsibilities they would have to hire someone to twiddle their thumbs most of the day.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
I believe this plane came in today: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...421Z/CYYZ/CYOW

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Unless a couple of E90s have gone tech the past few days, this has to be due to heavy loads. Weather in Southern Ontario recently certainly has not been a factor.
From someone I know that does ground handling for AC at YOW: "EMB 190s that were scheduled were in for seat checks and heavy maintenance. Only free aircraft happened to be the 787".

He also sent me a picture of the L-10 that is indeed here now.

Last edited by RomanR27; Yesterday at 6:00 PM. Reason: Added clarity

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation