HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
When it runs adjacent to the shelter, on the side of the shelter that doesn't face the street, no matter where the sidewalk or other pedestrian walk is.

The shelter (if there is one) should never be more than its own width away from the curb where passengers embark/disembark. The cycle track, unless there is no other option due to space constraints, should never, ever, ever be between the shelter, bench, or basic bus stop where passengers will be waiting or disembarking.

I have not yet seen an example in Ottawa where there was room enough to put a cycle track, but somehow not room enough to have it go behind the back side of a bus shelter. The examples on Main and St. Patrick that I'm most familiar with are very bad ones, but I'm at least glad that the bike people seem happy about it.

Too bad it's always transit service and safety that is compromised in these matters.
I think we agree then, we are just getting confused by eachother's descriptions.

I agree the one at St. Patrick and Cobourg is dumb. They absolutely had room (no add. space required) to switch the shelter and cycle track position. Would have been much better. Same with some of the new ones on Main. I think even cycling advocates would agree that moving the shelter closer to the roadway (1 shelter width as you say) would be the preferred arrangement.

I think sometimes though that the City is used to putting the shelter outside of the road ROW by negotiating with property owners (hey can we put this shelter on your front lawn), but maybe would have to negotiate / buy more property if they had to put the cycle track behind the shelter in a proper "floating bus stop"??? I don't know. Hopefully the City gets better at it as they develop more standards for cycle tracks...

Old Posted Today, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
How about cycle track to the left of the bus lane so that bicycles are passing on the left (like required by other vehicles) and away from the pedestrians? If the bus needs to cross the cycle track, the cyclist must yield to the bus (like all other vehicles) with signs posted posted (painted on the track) indicating that.
So cyclists could be riding between a bus on the right and car on the left? Motorcyclists, sure. But cyclists, no way, hosay! That's almost more dangerous than having no bike lane.

Old Posted Today, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
So cyclists could be riding between a bus on the right and car on the left? Motorcyclists, sure. But cyclists, no way, hosay! That's almost more dangerous than having no bike lane.
Not quite sure why it would be safer for a motorcyclist. I have cycled passed buses, on the left, stopped to pick up passengers, usually without a bike lane. I never found it dangerous. There are many cases where the safest place for a cyclist is with vehicles on both sides of you. Squeezing between a bus and the sidewalk where passengers are getting on and off the bus would seem much more dangerous to me.

In the case of the cycle track left of a bus lane, there would be barricades on both sides of the track, so its not like you could be squeezed out.

If you don't feel it is safe, you could always stop behind the bus and wait for it to go. That would have the added advantage of making it so you won't constantly be playing leap frog with the bus.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation