HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Findlay Creekers suggest measures to offset impact of new subdivision
Questions raised over why homes built before roads widened

By Erin McCracken, Ottawa South News
Nov 28, 2016

Findlay Creekers whose homes back onto cemetery lands that will one day be transformed into a residential subdivision have no shortage of ideas to minimize their loss of privacy.

“We're losing all that and we're going to have a bunch of houses in our backyard,” said Doug Brousseau, who lives on Bulrush Crescent, one of two affected streets at the north end of the community.

“My biggest concern ... is having a two-storey house in my backyard where I used to have green space and coyotes and turkeys and deer. We don't want people two-storeys up looking into our houses there and we were never told they would be there.”

Homeowners recently sounded the alarm after learning the Catholic Archdiocese of Ottawa sold a vacant parcel of Hope Cemetery land to developer Tartan. The proposal currently working its way through the city approval process calls for the transformation of six hectares into 150 housing units, including 60 detached single-family homes and 90 townhomes.

“We're not going to stop it. We all know that. The houses are going to be built,” Brousseau said. “We'd just like consideration (for) the mix of housing. Single-family homes is fine, but they should be bungalows against bungalows.”

Melissa Côté, Tartan land use planner, said residents’ concerns have been heard.

“And we are floating around ideas, things that we can do to kind of alleviate those concerns,” she told about 25 homeowners at a public consultation meeting at the Fred Barrett Arena on Nov. 23.

Building mirror-image bungalows, putting in a buffer block and berm, planting tall trees close together, as well as increasing the distance between new homes and the existing property line are the preferred options pitched by those living on Bulrush and Mangrove crescents at the north end of Findlay Creek.

“Some of those options are viable,” Côté said. “Some, I think, could be a little more challenging.”

While the future homes backing onto existing single-family bungalow townhomes will be single-family dwellings, whether bungalows can be built will have to be discussed with Tartan and Tamarack builders, she said.

“We are sensitive to this issue,” added Pierre Dufresne, vice-president of land development at Tartan.

Randy Ray, who lives on Bulrush, urged Tartan reps to consider homeowners as well as the future loss of green space and wild animals.

He also pressed Gloucester-South Nepean Coun. Michael Qaqish for an opinion on the project and was told Findlay Creek is one of many suburban communities in Ottawa that is experiencing fast-paced growth.

“The reality is we can say no to this at committee and council and (the developer) can appeal it at the (Ontario Municipal Board) and then we'd be spending our dollars on lawyers,” Qaqish said, adding that while he doesn't like giving up green space, Findlay Creek is a suburban community seeing significant housing construction.

The councillor then turned to Dufresne and asked whether he can commit to building bungalows behind about a dozen pre-existing single-storey homes.

Input from the community will be collected and options will be presented to the homebuilders, Dufresne said.

Ray, who hopes 12-foot trees spaced close together can be planted, asked how realistic it would be to put in a tree line in back of affected homes.

“We obviously didn't plant in our backyards because no one was ever going to live behind us,” he said. “So now we've got nothing – no trees, nothing.”

A landscape architect will have to be consulted, but Côté said “I think doing enhanced plantings would be a viable option.”

BUILDING BACKWARDS

The new neighbourhood would be built at the same time as a 900-home subdivision proposed for a large swath of undeveloped land southwest of Bank Street and Leitrim Road. As part of the redevelopment, Kelly Farm Drive would be extended from White Alder Avenue to Leitrim Road, where a traffic signal will be installed.

Phase one of the new neighbourhood to the west of Hope Cemetery, which will begin with the addition of sewers, utilities and a stormwater pond, would get underway in the fall of 2017 or early 2018.

“I expect that you will be using that road some time in 2018,” Côté said.

The discussion also saw the return of concerns over traffic headaches on Bank Street and Leitrim and Albion roads.

“It's great that you're building roads within the complex, but we need the roads outside the complex built up,” said Barbara D’Amico, representing the Findlay Creek Community Association. “We're completely surrounded by one-lane roads.”

Dufresne said once a transportation study is complete, area developers will discuss how to move forward.

One resident suggested it doesn’t make sense to build residential neighbourhoods first before much-needed road infrastructure and other services.

“I'll start off by saying you're absolutely right,” Dufresne said. “It would be wonderful to have the infrastructure in the ground, the parks built, the community centre built ... (but) it would be unachievable financially.”

Development charges collected from new developments help fund city roads, which are expensive, and the reason they can't be built at once.

“It's really just a cash-flow issue with the city,” Dufresne said, adding “it's financially prohibitive for us to be able to come out to a site and say we're going to build roads like that.”

Qaqish agreed it is a backwards process, but said he has met with area developers to discuss whether they can pay to widen Bank Street in the short term and be paid back later by the city. No promises have yet been given.

The four developers working in Findlay Creek don't want to wait, and plan to look for solutions to alleviate congestion, said Dufresne.

“We can't just go out and build it because it's a $20- to $22-million project,” he said. “And we're as interested as anybody else in fixing it because we're going to be here for another 10 years and we have to sell houses.”

Erin McCracken is a reporter/photographer with Metroland Media’s Ottawa South News. She can be reached at erin.mccracken@metroland.com.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...w-subdivision/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]

“My biggest concern ... is having a two-storey house in my backyard where I used to have green space and coyotes and turkeys and deer. We don't want people two-storeys up looking into our houses there and we were never told they would be there.”

“We're not going to stop it. We all know that. The houses are going to be built,” Brousseau said. “We'd just like consideration (for) the mix of housing. Single-family homes is fine, but they should be bungalows against bungalows.”
You know in a parallel universe I could have sworn that I've come to a public meeting like this...or are they all just like this.

I think this is the kind of neighbourhood that Uhaniau would like

Findlay Creek. Come for the mandated setbacks, stay for the promise that only bungalows will back up against ident-a-kit bungalows and where greige siding is not just a wish, it's mandated.

Last edited by Proof Sheet; Nov 29, 2016 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Findlay Creekers suggest measures to offset impact of new subdivision
Questions raised over why homes built before roads widened

By Erin McCracken, Ottawa South News
Nov 28, 2016

Findlay Creekers whose homes back onto cemetery lands that will one day be transformed into a residential subdivision have no shortage of ideas to minimize their loss of privacy.

“We're losing all that and we're going to have a bunch of houses in our backyard,” said Doug Brousseau, who lives on Bulrush Crescent, one of two affected streets at the north end of the community.

My unprintable response to that concern is unprintable.

My printable response is: what was on your property before it was a house?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
You know in a parallel universe I could have sworn that I've come to a public meeting like this...or are they all just like this.

I think this is the kind of neighbourhood that Uhaniau would like

Findlay Creek. Come for the mandated setbacks, stay for the promise that only bungalows will back up against ident-a-kit bungalows and where greige siding is not just a wish, it's mandated.
I'm no expert, but I imagine that the chance of these new homes being bungalows is about the square root of b*gger all. Maybe they're just positioning themselves now in hopes of discouraging three storey townhouses.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
My unprintable response to that concern is unprintable.

My printable response is: what was on your property before it was a house?
The self-awareness that most people have on these things is pretty low. Very few realize that the home that they live in that is located in a suburban setting likely was the former site of a farm or woodlot with deer, wild turkeys etc. It is OK for them to have their piece of paradise but once they are in then new development has to stop. Those same people don't cause traffic, they are held up by other peoples traffic generation.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 11:44 PM

I know this area very well. When Findlay Creek was first starting to be developed in 2003, their was a mass migration of groundhogs. I saw this happening when they moved to neighbouring properties in great densities. I expect this must be typical when farmland is first subdivided and bulldozed. Beyond this, it is deer and coyotes that are forced out and song birds that prefer open fields such as Meadowlarks and Bobolinks.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I know this area very well. When Findlay Creek was first starting to be developed in 2003, their was a mass migration of groundhogs. I saw this happening when they moved to neighbouring properties in great densities. I expect this must be typical when farmland is first subdivided and bulldozed. Beyond this, it is deer and coyotes that are forced out and song birds that prefer open fields such as Meadowlarks and Bobolinks.
(Clutches pearls)

Won't someone think of the groundhogs?!!?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
(Clutches pearls)

LOL!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:33 AM

It looks like Glenview Homes is coming to the 'Haven, right behind my place actually. They already have a presence in Kanata in their Monahan Landing community

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...16-16-0018.PDF

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:05 PM

A 416 interchange at Cambrian or Barnsdale would be nice. Unsure what would be better though.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 6:19 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
(Clutches pearls)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ents-1.3941683

Won't somebody think of the 'forever home' lifestyle?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 2:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

It's the classic "pull up the drawbridge now that I'm in" argument.

I looked up what these people describe as a "village setting" and it's not a village at all. It's classic 1970s suburbia.

I'd be a bit more sympathetic if the area truly resembled a heritage village like Merrickville or something, but it's not that at all.

So hurry, everyone. To the drawbridge!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:

"Forever home".... like that cemetery?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 10:27 PM
National Capital Region

The ship has already sailed. This is across the street from a future phase of Minto's Mahogany community. The site is designated as medium density in the secondary plan and the policies mandate densities of 12-20 units per gross hectare and only up to 50% of the units can be single family.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:14 PM

Next phase of the Blackstone community in Kanata is being proposed by Mattamy Homes:

https://shadqadri.com/2017/06/23/5482/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 1:04 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OMG... added density in Kanata!

Quote:
Developer gets go-ahead for increased density for Kanata housing community
Despite significant pushback from residents, planning committee approves lifting density cap.

By: Kieran Delamont, Metro
Published on Tue Aug 22 2017

Despite the opposition of residents as well as local Coun. Marianne Wilkinson, the city’s planning committee approved an amendment that will allow developers to increase the density of a housing community by up to 41 per cent.

The lot under development at 124 Battersea Cr. currently has two buildings, comprising 28 units. A third 79-unit building is currently under construction. Rather than build several smaller buildings, as first planned, the developer is asking for permission to build a second 79-unit building.

Brigil was asking the committee to lift a density cap that dates to 2006, when issues with the sewer system in the area led to a cap on the density permitted by zoning. Those servicing issues have been resolved, and the owners of the site argued that the density cap is thus irrelevant.

But for residents, the issue is playing out as a developer seeking to impose a different vision for the community than what they envisioned.

“They are making so many changes, that what I bought is not what I bought anymore,” said Janie Poirier, who lives in one of the existing smaller buildings. “I bought into a community that was low, that was calm, that was nice and green. And that’s not what I’m getting right now.”

Coun. Wilkinson says that the site plan has not yet been approved, and that she hopes to work with the developers to try to find compromise. “For downtown Ottawa, that may work,” she said following the committee meeting. “But in this area, we really try to build with nature.”

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...community.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City poised to open 72 acres of Urbandale’s Leitrim land for development

By: OBJ staff
Published: Sep 7, 2017 1:20pm EDT

The community of Leitrim in south Ottawa could see more than 500 new homes in the coming years if city councillors accept the advice of municipal staff and open a large swath of land off Bank Street to development.

Ottawa homebuilder Urbandale is seeking an official plan amendment that would allow it to build on the currently undeveloped property, known as the Kellam Lands at 4789 Bank St., south of Findlay Creek Drive and a proposed Claridge subdivision.

A concept plan referenced in a city report says Urbandale envisions constructing about 562 homes, including 254 single-detached houses, 254 multiple units and 54 apartments.

Mixed-use nodes – such as low-rise apartments above ground-floor commercial units – would be constructed along the east side of Bank Street in a “compact format that is easily accessible from the immediate neighbourhood and surrounding community.”

Before any construction could begin, the land needs to be designated part of Ottawa’s “general urban area” in the city’s official plan. It’s currently considered an “urban expansion study area.”

Councillors on the city’s planning committee will consider the request next Tuesday, Sept. 12.

City staff argue that the proposal “reflects planned growth in the city” and say it “represents a natural extension of the adjacent Leitrim community.”

During a community consultation, several residents raised concerns about the current traffic constraints on Bank Street. City staff responded that Bank Street is scheduled to be widened to four lanes from Leitrim Road to south of Blais Road sometime between 2020 and 2025.

http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...nd-development

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs