HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 4:38 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i still can't figure out how they can keep hwy #1 open and jking edward open and do all this work

surely one of them has to shut down at some point or be detoured somewhere
The 3 lanes of Highway 1 will reroute to the sides; I've seen it in an official diagram before.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 4:44 AM

And King Edward is GOING to be shut down for about 12 weeks in "Spring 2011."

Hopefully they get 'er done quickly and there are no delays. King Edward is a critical connection to United Boulevard; that one-lane bridge is going to be overwhelmed for a while.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 5:34 AM

will the overpass be built first? or king edward be completely shut down for a few months?

i live here and it will affect me - i am in that area a few times a week

didn't see that reply above mine just now

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 9:54 PM

Looking at the pic above, you can see where Hwy (westbound) will detour. In the pic just beyond King Edward, there's a slope from Highway 1 down to the elevation of King Edward (i.e. where the crosswalk markings are loacted). Hwy 1 traffic will probably take that slope, travel under the erected King Edward viaduct (which will provide access to the construction site (or maybe it will be "push-launched like Coast Meridian?)) and then rejoin the Hwy farther west.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 3:08 AM
(daka_x)

Here's an unfinished, ridiculous concept: my personal concept for the future Blue Mountain interchange/NFPR connections (note: it's quite unfinished, it's supposed to be a lane-by-lane but the best I could manage was some grey outlines):

This next one goes a bit more off-topic, it's an even more ridiculous lane-by-lane Highway 7 + Schoolhouse Street SPUI-like interchange concept with a two-phase traffic signal design:

Created with CorelDraw x5

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Here's an unfinished, ridiculous concept: my personal concept for the future Blue Mountain interchange/NFPR connections (note: it's quite unfinished, it's supposed to be a lane-by-lane but the best I could manage was some grey outlines):

Created with CorelDraw x5
Too many winding roads and connectors, and too many intersections to the north of Hwy. 1 around where Brunette and Lougheed meet. And just kinda confusing as far as a interchange goes. Not saying it's bad in any way, I love the fact that Brunette and Lougheeed both have direct connections to Hwy 1 it's just that I've never seen an interchange done this way before. If the curve radii were more gentle and consistent (I can just see snarl-ups happening on your diagram)and roads weren't diverted/rerouted that much to hinder local traffic
(traffic heading southwest on Brunette now has to make a right turn followed by 2 left turns to continue down toward Columbia St.), it'd be flawless

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 8:10 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
will the overpass be built first? or king edward be completely shut down for a few months?

i live here and it will affect me - i am in that area a few times a week

didn't see that reply above mine just now
The approach on the North Side will be built first.
They will open up Taft Ave. to allow direct Westbound access to the highway from United (just East of Home Depot). This will act as a relief valve in the evening rush as there is a LOT of traffic that is going from United to Lougheed and then directly to Highway #1. So, this should make the Brunette Interchange more bearable.

I assume that then, they'll divert some of Hwy #1 traffic, using the new asphalt on Woolridge parallel to the Hwy. (Seen in the image)

Then they'll excavate the highway while building the bridge and South Approach. At least that's my guess.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 11:58 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianroam95 View Post
Too many winding roads and connectors, and too many intersections to the north of Hwy. 1 around where Brunette and Lougheed meet. And just kinda confusing as far as a interchange goes. Not saying it's bad in any way, I love the fact that Brunette and Lougheeed both have direct connections to Hwy 1 it's just that I've never seen an interchange done this way before. If the curve radii were more gentle and consistent (I can just see snarl-ups happening on your diagram)and roads weren't diverted/rerouted that much to hinder local traffic
(traffic heading southwest on Brunette now has to make a right turn followed by 2 left turns to continue down toward Columbia St.), it'd be flawless
Unfortunately as far as layout/development goes and the fact that this area supports both local and long-distance traffic patterns, there's not that much other choice for developing this area. Remember that this view is very zoomed-out, the curves may not be as bad as you think. The only other option is to somehow redirect the Blue Mountain/Brunette/Lougheed triangle so there's more spaces between intersections, but then there'd still be a triangle and you might end up removing one or more important roads (i.e. Brunette between Lougheed and 1, which is teeming with a lot of businesses right now).

This layout actually keeps most of the connections (at the cost of some redundancy but for benefit) of what we have currently, while making some improvements. To grade-separate the Blue Mountain/Brunette area from Lougheed could result in great benefits for Lougheed traffic and other such traffic. Some of the connections were designed with alternate routes in mind, i.e. Braid/8th curves onto Blue Mountain (as opposed to Columbia going to Brunette) to provide a better route from New West into Coquitlam (for local, not NFPR traffic) that still works.

Traffic going SW Brunette > Columbia only needs to make one right and one left turn, they can use the on-ramp that connects to/from United to avoid turning left at Braid (which'll help simplify traffic movements there); with a few tweaks (i.e. instead of Brunette ending onto Schoolhouse/Roderick, Schoolhouse ends onto Brunette/Roderick) you could eliminate that other right turn. And of course, King Edward is another option. Unfortunately the left turn from Brunette > Braid is pretty much unavoidable, it's been known for awhile that Blue Mountain is (officially) going to be converted into the new primary cross-highway route over Brunette; this concept tries to expand that idea as well.

Last edited by xd_1771; Dec 9, 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 9:54 PM

The Hwy 1 West 152 St. detour as of December 11:

Look at how wide they're making the cut - now it certainly looks like it could fit a 2+3+3+2 system, plus some wide shoulders

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 11:09 PM
(daka_x)

Oohh, looking good there at least they're taking advantage of most of the space available before the bridge for that merge lane. It looks like it'll be slow even in non-rush hour though for Highway 1 traffic due to the new curves.
Looks like it'll be starting tomorrow, the day before I leave here for around 4 weeks.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 2:12 AM

drove through yesterday - the one bridge tower has things on it now as you can see in the last picture

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 6:29 AM

The diversion should be in place tomorrow night, and ready to go by Monday's morning AM rush.

I'm guessing it should help things a tad. Especially since they've made areas where you can't change lanes.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:47 AM

Drove over it Sunday morning, it was in place (came via 152nd). Love that 152nd has it's own lane to get onto the Port Mann. Only problem I'll see is that people from Highway 1 will now try and merge into the left lane/152nd traffic right away, even though they're supposed to hold their line for a bit. Coupled with faster movement from 152nd, that might be a problem. I wished they had put those road-mounted plyons to help separate the flow of 152nd/Highway 1 for a bit, similar to how they did it for the merge of Hwy 1 2 lanes/1 lane as the photo shows...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:38 PM

Can anyone tell us how bad the Hwy 1 queue was? The merge from 152nd looks clear and open actually, at the expense of Hwy 1?

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...12/13/0730.jpg

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 8:15 PM
(daka_x)

That seems highly advantageous for us Surrey travellers, however I do worry about what this'll do for Route 1. But of course, I won't be here for 4 weeks, so I won't know how long the lineup is

EDIT: As of 12:19PM It appears Highway 1 isn't even backing up to Highway 15! (scroll down) [though the morning rush hour should be over]

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
That seems highly advantageous for us Surrey travellers, however I do worry about what this'll do for Route 1. But of course, I won't be here for 4 weeks, so I won't know how long the lineup is

EDIT: As of 12:19PM It appears Highway 1 isn't even backing up to Highway 15! (scroll down) [though the morning rush hour should be over]
does it ever back up past 176 during the day?

I don't think so....usually during mid-day I believe it slows down only between 152-160 Street. This AM's backup seemed pretty normal, I got off at 176 street, and just west of that was where traffic was slowing down.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:41 PM

The original concrete piers for the Hwy 1 overpasses of Boundary Road, Broadway, 1st Ave. etc. permitted additional stringers for a future 3-lane cross-section in each direction, which is being done now.

But the Hwy 1 overpass of Boundary Road is the only perplexing one. They are constructing completely new offset piers and even a separate, further offset pier for some purpose that I can't yet determine. Certainly a head-scratcher:

Source: Flickr/SqueakyMarmot

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 11:04 PM

From those pictures, it looks to me like they are going to replace the whole overpass. It looks like they are building the middle part of a new overpass first, before they tear down the old decks on the sides...???

It's nice that they planned for extra lanes long ago, but I wonder if there was a safety issue with those thin, tall pillars on the old overpass? Or maybe it's all related to that awful westbound on-ramp... hmm.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 4:16 AM

Maybe to reinforce the existing supports and it will be extended under the existing road decks.

I don't see any new construction where there would need to be an anchorage into the abutment/hill for a new road deck if they are going to tear down the old supports.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 10:02 AM

Are they going to replace the 192nd St Overpass?

Are they going to replace the 192nd St Overpass, during this phase of construction? I thought this was going to be put off for now.

The reason I ask is, it looks like piles and/or forms by the new overpass location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure