HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I just noticed in the above pictures that those cranes are bloody tall!

I rather think that's a prerequisite for this construction job.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 12:45 AM

Came across some historical Vancouver Sun/Province newspaper articles from the opening of Highway 1 and the PMB from June 13/14, 1964.

Some interesting tidbits therein:

1. The new 70 mph speed limit and speed sign;
2. Burnaby Police concerned about "timid" drivers making a "full stop" at the end of the acceleration lane to the new fwy.;
3. The 401 designation was keeping with the continental trend to use the 400 designation for 4-lane routes;
4. A Van Sun editorial on the threat of urban sprawl to Chilliwack;
5. The feds picked up 40% of the cost of the then $27 million PMB and 25% of highway construction costs;
6. Some planners envisaged 450,000 population south of the Fraser;

Source: http://www.davehayermla.ca/PMH1/sec_1964.htm

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 12:46 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
this is around the 104th/160th exit...

pic by me
This honestly scares me a lot. If the two lanes do indeed narrow to one before this intersection... this area of 104th Avenue, smack dab near my home, is ruined for all eternity. The way the traffic lights are arranged though, it doesn't seem so.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 3:58 AM

In one of those newspaper clips, an acticle sounded like the Toronto Maple Leafs were going to build a colisuem in downtown Vancouver???

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 4:56 AM

Yeah, I saw that as well. Apparently, the Toronto Maple Leafs were prepared to construct an $8 million, 20,000 seat coliseum in the downtown core on a two-block area bounded by Georgia/Cambie/Robson/Homer, a portion of which Library Square now is situate upon.

From the article, it appears that the Leafs would only proceed if the city sold them the land for a nominal $1, which was worth $2 million back in the day. Obviously, the matter died.

A couple of other tidbits from therein:

Quote:
NO SLOWPOKES

"Slowpokes can be charged under two sections", a police spokesman said. "Either for not driving at the posted speed in the inside lane or for impeding traffic in the outside lane".
Quote:
[Highways Minister] Gaglardi said that a good portion of the highway was built on sawdust, the first time that this has been done, and the new bridge has pioneered several new engineering techniques in North America.

"The Province of BC takes a back seat to no one in building highways", he said. "I'm not bragging - I'm just telling you".

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 7:37 AM
Mac User

The article on urban sprawl was very interesting I had no idea people back then gave any thought to that. Considering other cities in North America I think urban sprawl here has been contained fairly well.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 2:18 PM

Yes, to a certain extent. In a way I wish it was more contained but bleh, that's just a dream now. =O

Otherwise I'm liking all the newspaper articles... a good dose of history =)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 8:20 PM

Was carpooling in this morning.

Closer up but blurry, stupid cell phone!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 8:57 PM

Awesome, thanks for posting.

WRT the "sawdust" - could that have been fill on the 'Boggy" parts of the route (near Willingdon)?

I also noticed the refernce in one of the articles about the tram from Chilliwack taking an hour to get to New Westminster.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
WRT the "sawdust" - could that have been fill on the 'Boggy" parts of the route (near Willingdon)?
I was always under impression that the bog-like areas were along the Burnaby Lakes section, but I could be wrong. I would also think the section eastward from Brunette to Cape Horn would also fall into the same category.

In that same vein, I also recall, circa 1984 (?), when going over the new Hwy 10 overpass of the then u/c Hwy 91, that Hwy 91 northward as far as one can see was literally covered in ~10 feet of sawdust/woodchips through that bog-like terrain. It was certainly a strange sight and I never understood the purpose of same at the time.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 1:55 AM
ON3P Skis

The combination of Port Mann construction, a 2 semi-truck accident on the Alex Fraser, and golden ears way roadwork caused some of the worst westbound traffic for the Port Mann I have ever seen in my life this afternoon. Not even rush hour, it was noon. People were claiming it was a 2 hour wait from 200th to Johnston Hill. Alex Fraser was basically stopped with the accident, Pattullo was jammed with people trying to avoid the other bridges, and Golden Ears was even busy and westbound Lougheed Hwy traffic backed up from the Pitt River bridge well onto the Golden Ears viaduct.

From Langley City to downtown:

200th St -> Golden Ears Bridge -> Golden Ears Way -> 203 St (Pitt Meadows) -> Old Dewdney Trunk Rd -> Lougheed Hwy -> St. Johns -> Barnett Hwy -> East Hastings -> Renfrew -> Dundas St -> Powell St -> Water St -> Richards St. 1 hour 45 minutes and we considered ourselves supremely fortunate.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
I was always under impression that the bog-like areas were along the Burnaby Lakes section, but I could be wrong. I would also think the section eastward from Brunette to Cape Horn would also fall into the same category.
The whole area is probably boggy - being the Still Creek flood plain.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 4:15 AM
Registered

There is bog are all over the place between Brunette & Cape Horn. Everything from Lougheed south is bog in some areas if you go deep enough. I can see why the are is prone to flooding. Look at the areas where the tracks are being shifted & the wall of pre-load & lock blocks.

Most of the #1 through Burnaby to Coquitlam is built on the soft-low level ground sitting in a valley with waterways running right through. Id actually like to read more about how the highway was originally built through some of the worse ground conditions around the city.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 5:45 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
The combination of Port Mann construction, a 2 semi-truck accident on the Alex Fraser, and golden ears way roadwork caused some of the worst westbound traffic for the Port Mann I have ever seen in my life this afternoon. Not even rush hour, it was noon. People were claiming it was a 2 hour wait from 200th to Johnston Hill. Alex Fraser was basically stopped with the accident, Pattullo was jammed with people trying to avoid the other bridges, and Golden Ears was even busy and westbound Lougheed Hwy traffic backed up from the Pitt River bridge well onto the Golden Ears viaduct.

From Langley City to downtown:

200th St -> Golden Ears Bridge -> Golden Ears Way -> 203 St (Pitt Meadows) -> Old Dewdney Trunk Rd -> Lougheed Hwy -> St. Johns -> Barnett Hwy -> East Hastings -> Renfrew -> Dundas St -> Powell St -> Water St -> Richards St. 1 hour 45 minutes and we considered ourselves supremely fortunate.
I saw that travelling eastbound today but long past noon, and even then it seemed really bad (stopped to 200th and beyond)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Van View Post
There is bog are all over the place between Brunette & Cape Horn. Everything from Lougheed south is bog in some areas if you go deep enough. I can see why the are is prone to flooding. Look at the areas where the tracks are being shifted & the wall of pre-load & lock blocks.

Most of the #1 through Burnaby to Coquitlam is built on the soft-low level ground sitting in a valley with waterways running right through. Id actually like to read more about how the highway was originally built through some of the worse ground conditions around the city.
thats why all those stores are sinking and old timers are like when i was a kid that was a swamp...

if u go to homesense its incredible how much its sunk they have had to put up wooden ramps to all the stores there

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 7:30 AM
Registered

No doubt. If anyone had a chance to see the area around King Edward & United Blvd. recently there were old wooden piles visible around the intersection. The ground has sunk so much in the area that the asphalt has been stacked on top of each other for years. This is also the site of the old landfill/dump that was buried below the streets. Does anyone have pictures of this place ?

The girder for King Edward overpass has been put in place on the south side of hwy 1. EPS foam blocks have been laid out on the north side of Hwy 1.

The new detour at Mary Hill bypass to Hwy 1 westbound has also been paved.

Last edited by East Van; Feb 13, 2011 at 7:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 7:41 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
if u go to homesense its incredible how much its sunk they have had to put up wooden ramps to all the stores there
wow crazy! would love to see a photo of that

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 7:58 AM
Registered

Look how much they raised Schoolhouse st. north of Lougheed. 4 or 5 steps in front of Cactus Club are now below the surface.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 9:12 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
This article seems surprisingly ahead of its time. I'm with crazyjoeda in that I didn't realize that they gave any thought to suburban sprawl back in the 60s. I would've guessed the term "suburban sprawl" had been coined much later.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 2:09 AM

Pretty pic from the webcam tonight - 6:00pm Saturday Feb 19th:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure