HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Found this neat photo from last month:

https://twitter.com/love_ottawa/stat...2017%2Fupdates

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 4:22 AM

I walked in there on Tuesday. No shows and no security to be found. I explored the new atrium and it is amazing! Beautiful materials and I love the little nods to the original 60's architecture. Can't wait for my next show there to see it packed with people. The north facing view at sunset was unbelievable with the chateau in the background.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I walked in there on Tuesday. No shows and no security to be found. I explored the new atrium and it is amazing! Beautiful materials and I love the little nods to the original 60's architecture. Can't wait for my next show there to see it packed with people. The north facing view at sunset was unbelievable with the chateau in the background.
Take pictures!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Take pictures!
Haha, Anniversary date with the wife so exploring was the best I could get

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 6:09 PM

Took a tour last night for Ottawa Architecture Week. This is what I took away:

- The lantern will be tested a bit in October, but goes into actual use on New Year's Eve. It will be programmed by Moment Factory.

- The official word from Diamond Schmitt on why the entrance has such a low ceiling is that artistic spaces are enjoyable when you're confined in a small space and then explode into an exciting larger space. Of course we all know that the "exciting larger space" is the back of a staircase and the low underside of a catwalk, so this theory doesn't actually work. I smell a cop out. Also, the NAC wanted a more grand entrance, comparable to the National Gallery. Missued opportunity, likely due to lining up the street level and the Mezzanine of Southam Hall.

- The reason why the box office is located unceremoniously down a little back stairway in the basement is that the box office people at the NAC wanted to keep it on the same level it always was. Their reasoning is that people buying tickets online is becoming more common, and the people who do use the box office are majority elderly patrons who drive into the parking garage, take the elevator up to the box office then leave. This of course holds no weight because a small plaque saying BOX OFFICE next to a different elevator button would allow the box office to be places anywhere. There's also a major sound pollution issue for the box office employees. We could hear hear what's happening in performance spaces, conversations in the lobby upstairs, etc.

At the end of the day, there are a lot of new small spaces to animate in the addition, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out. I personally think Diamond Schmitt dropped the ball a bit in terms of a real wow factor inside. I understand there's a lot to consider in terms of the various levels of the old building, but they're the experts for a reason!

I also wasn't aware that people seated in the higher levels of Southam Hall are actually listening to performances through speakers because it wasn't designed as a proper music hall. This really interested me because I've actually been to one or two performances where I had trouble hearing the show, and they could have just turned the speakers up (I'm 29 and have good hearing haha).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 10:03 PM

Very interesting - thanks for writing that up.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Big sound, capital views revealed in Phase Two of NAC reno

Megan Gillis, Postmedia
Published on: October 4, 2017 | Last Updated: October 4, 2017 6:33 PM EDT

The National Arts Centre showcased spectacular new views and sounds as it unveiled the second of three phases of a massive renovation Wednesday.

In the updated Fourth Stage, which hosts hundreds of performances by up-and-comers a year, singer Gabrielle Shonk’s bluesy ballads filled the newly-expanded space.

The ceiling is higher to accommodate new LED lighting and a bigger speaker system. The taller stage now faces Elgin Street so passersby can take in the show along with concert-goers seated on purple-upholstered couches and chairs. The bar is no longer an old broom closet.

Past what will soon be a coffee shop and up a grand staircase – where people sat on cushioned seats for a free classical concert – are three glass-walled rooms that will host public and private events. Other visitors nestled in high-backed red chairs in the terrace level lobby.

Behind what used to be concrete walls are panoramic views sheathed in windows etched with a subtle pattern to keep passing birds from striking the glass.

From the still-unfinished lantern room – it will be lit up in the new year – to the Rossy Pavilion, the vista is the Elgin Street streetscape to Confederation Square and Parliament Hill. From the flagship O’Born Room, it includes the Rideau Canal, Shaw Centre, Château Laurier and Peace Tower.

With a striking transformation of the brutalist-style landmark, NAC brass say the aim of the $110.5-million renovation is also to make it inviting for people, whether they’re stopping in for a coffee and free Wi-Fi or a glittering event.

“Our new building is not just about beautiful architecture and design,” said president and CEO Peter Herrndorf. “It’s about becoming a place where people feel welcome day and night. We want the NAC to become the living room of the national capital, not just a place where people come at night to hear the orchestra or an NAC Presents concert or to see a play.

“We want people to spend time here day and night.”

The arts centre aims to be a place to meet a friend for a cup of coffee and take in “spectacular” views and free programming including talks, community workshops, performances and open rehearsals, Herrndorf said.

The updated cabaret-style Fourth Stage and the terrace level rooms unveiled Wednesday are the second phase of the 18-month-old project to update the 1969 building. Designed by architect Donald Schmitt, it’s the federal government’s biggest cultural infrastructure outlay to mark the sesquicentennial.

Phase One, which included a fully-accessible entrance from Elgin Street, relocated box office and three times as many bathrooms, was opened on Canada Day. The third phase is the former Panorama Room, which will be rechristened the Canada Room, with space for 600 seats overlooking the Rideau Canal opening in February.

“With the addition of our new spaces, we now have more room for the community than ever before,” said Heather Gibson, the executive producer of NAC Presents, a showcase of Canadian talent like Blakdenim and Oh Susanna, who both perform at the Fourth Stage this weekend.

She’s also the programmer of the new NAC public spaces. Those spaces, such as the staircase cum performance space, will be offered to community groups and artists for events and gatherings.

“We want the NAC to be a place where people can gather and take part in events but we also want it to be a place where we can just hang out,” Gibson said.

Among the people the new NAC clearly hopes to draw are the likes of Minister of Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland. She had a “top-secret” working dinner with her American and Mexican counterparts in the Rossy Pavilion during NAFTA talks last week.

The NAC is still the site of many a wedding, graduation and bar mitzvah but in the 1970s and 1980s, it routinely hosted those high-level events, according to Nelson Borges, the centre’s general manager of food services.

Looking around the vast new O’Born Room with its 30-foot Douglas fir ceiling and oak floors, he imagined how its sweeping view of Ottawa landmarks — “it almost does 360 degrees” — will look with falling snow and Christmas lights.

“Back in the day, this was the place that these type of events were held,” Borges said. “We need to get back to our glory days. Now that we have the space to do that, we’re excited.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...wo-of-nac-reno

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 7:19 PM

Testing lantern before launch

source: https://twitter.com/JenniferBulman/s...39686882947072

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:52 PM

So cool! Thanks for sharing!

I had started to lose hope on it since I had always only seen the clear glass... never any display or animation.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:01 AM

Nice, maybe there is some hope for the lantern after all.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 11:03 PM

I hate to say it, but that Staircase is an almost exact knock-off of the one at the new McMaster building in downtown Hamilton...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I hate to say it, but that Staircase is an almost exact knock-off of the one at the new McMaster building in downtown Hamilton...
A better comparison is the staircase at the entrance to the Peter Gilgan research tower at Hospital for Sickkids in Toronto - same architectural firm as the NAC overhaul (Diamond/Schmitt). The similar version in Hamilton was designed by NORR. George Brown's waterfront campus also has an almost identical space but designed by Stantec/KPMB. It's becoming quite trendy in these public institutions to have these flexible/dual-purpose staircases.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 12:42 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Show will go on at NAC after fallen ceiling block

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 14, 2017 | Last Updated: November 14, 2017 5:17 PM EST

It’s business as usual, more or less, at the National Arts Centre after a wooden block fell from its newly refurbished ceiling Saturday.

An area of the NAC’s upper floor remains cordoned off after the wooden block fell, said NAC spokeswoman Rosemary Thompson on Tuesday. The block measured 15 cm by 15 cm by 20 cm and is one of 367 spacers used between the decorative triangular panels in the roof.

Maintenance staff have checked about 130 of the other spacers and haven’t found any loose ones. All 367 should be checked by Thursday, she said.

The blocks are fastened in place with wood screws. It’s not known why the block fell, Thompson said. No one was injured.

All entrances are open as is the box office, she said. The NAC was to present a performance by guitarist Jesse Cook Tuesday night in Southam Hall.

The NAC celebrated Canada Day by officially opening after a $110-million renovation, including a new entrance and glass atrium on Elgin Street.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-ceiling-block

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 4:05 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NAC's Kipnes Lantern to serve as "digital campfire"

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: December 21, 2017 | Last Updated: December 21, 2017 12:05 PM EST

The curtain is about to go up on the signature architectural feature of National Arts Centre’s $110.5 million rejuvenation.

The Kipnes Lantern is the glass tower that presides over the Elgin Street entrance, a state-of-the-art structure made up of a series of transparent LED screens. Starting on New Year’s Eve, it will light up the night sky with a multimedia display of digital images and videos. To find out more, Lynn Saxberg sat down with NAC project leaders Chris Dearlove and Bridget Mooney, and Moment Factory’s Christian L’Heureux.

Q: What’s the purpose of the Kipnes Lantern? Is it a billboard to advertise what’s happening at the NAC?

A: That’s not the intent. The idea was dreamed up by NAC CEO Peter Herrndorf during the planning process with architect Donald Schmitt, and had nothing to do with advertising. “Peter’s vision was really clear,” said Mooney. “This is a beacon for the performing arts in Canada and he wanted to use the platform to celebrate the arts across Canada, not just the ones that are going to be on our stage, but the ones that are in production across the country.”

Q: Moment Factory is the Montreal company that brought the Kontinuum and Miwate multi-media shows to Ottawa this year. How are they involved in this project?

A: Moment Factory won the RFP to provide content and discuss strategy for the lantern, and its complementary “blades,” which are the vertical screens on the exterior of the Fourth Stage, along Elgin Street. For the lantern, they created three ‘wow’ moments to intersperse with images of performances from across the country. These short segments combine video and 3D animation to illustrate the three aspects of the NAC’s programming in music, dance and theatre. “The storytelling is inspired by what the NAC represents,” says L’Heureux. “What is this place? It’s a place of art.”

Q: Who are the Kipnes and why is their name on it?

A: Irving Kipnes is an Edmonton property developer and former liquor-store tycoon, now retired. He and his wife, Dianne, run a philanthropic foundation that has donated millions to support health care, education, the arts, culture and community development. “They loved the idea of the lantern and generously donated $5 million to make it possible,” said Dearlove.

Q: Giant video screens are everywhere these days. What makes this one special?

A: It’s clear — you can see right through it. During the day, it won’t block the view, either from the street or inside the tower. “I’ve seen one in Dubai, but very few in North America,” said Mooney. “If it were off and you were standing outside, you wouldn’t notice a screen. We really wanted to preserve the beautiful architectural feature of the lantern. It’s the transparency that makes it unique.”

Q: Are there challenges associated with a clear screen?

A: The colour black is a problem. “With traditional LED screens, they achieve the colour black by not being lit, which works because you have the backing that creates black. But when it’s transparent, it changes the content,” said Mooney. “We’re not going to fight it. We want to embrace the transparency and use it to the best advantage … It’s driven the decision we’ve made to run the lantern in the evening. It looks spectacular in evening. During the day, it’s more difficult to see.”

Q: What about the screen setup?

A: Another big challenge, says L’Heureux, pointing to the various panels of the lantern and the vertical blades along the street. “There’s no screen like this anywhere else in the world,” he said. “The geometry and the way you present the information and the different aspects of the animation was a challenge for us, but the results are amazing.” Adds Mooney: “It creates a different experience for audiences watching on each side.”

Q: Why is the NAC describing the lantern as the Fifth Stage?

A: As patrons know, the NAC has four meticulously curated stages inside the building. The lantern is being called the Fifth because a similar level of “care and attention” is going into programming it, said Mooney. “In the past, if you wanted to have an artistic experience at the NAC, you have to come through our doors and buy a ticket. This is going to change that.”

Q: You’ve been testing the screens for a while, but the official launch is New Year’s Eve. How long will it run?

A: It’s permanent. It will be illuminated every night, 365 days a year.

Q: Is it possible to vary the images?

A: Yes. “The potential of it is pretty exciting,” said Dearlove. “We have great content to run with, but we also know we have an opportunity to become part of the city’s life.” Canada Day, Remembrance Day and National Indigenous People’s Day are some of the occasions that will call for special content. Other images could also commemorate the loss of a national hero, such as Gord Downie or Leonard Cohen.

Q: What about livestreaming concerts that are taking place inside the building?

A: It’s a possibility, although it won’t happen right away. While the system does not have built-in audio, a sound system can be set up for special occasions (and will be in place for New Year’s Eve). “We’ve been thinking of it as a digital campfire,” she added. “There are a lot of activities where we can respond with the lantern, and people can come to the campfire and share the moment.”

Be here for the New Year
Free for the family
When: Sunday, Dec. 31, 5 to 9 p.m.
Where: Atrium, National Arts Centre
What: Holiday crafts, performances by local band Stevens and Kennedy, a New Year’s dance moves workshop by Luv 2 Groove, and lots of hot chocolate!

Light the Lantern
New Year’s Eve celebration dinner and dance
When: Sunday, Dec. 31, 7 p.m. (the lantern will be officially lit at 8:45 p.m.)
Where: Canal Foyer 1 Elgin Street, National Arts Centre
What: Four-course meal, dancing and a sparkling midnight toast
Tickets: $199 per couple, available at NAC boxoffice or by phone 613-232-5713

lsaxberg@postmedia.com
Twitter @lynnsaxberg
Instagram @lynnsax

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...gital-campfire

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 4:17 AM

The Lantern is simply awesome. I can't believe they pulled it off in the city of no lights.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:03 PM

This is one of the few projects that I find looks better complete than in the renderings.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 3:40 PM

I think I will drop by New Years eve to catch some of the opening

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 8:18 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

This is such a welcome addition to the Downtown core. It's too bad the screen at the convention centre never happened.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 11:10 PM

Imagine the entire front of the Convention Centre was like the lantern!?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
Imagine the entire front of the Convention Centre was like the lantern!?
That would be incredible!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa