HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 4:20 PM

SMART Tower | 650' | Dead

This seems like a good article to start a waterfront thread with, seeing as I couldn't decide where to put it: Yeon structure; 600 ft observation tower (???); storage "towers"; the Mills, etc.

The observation tower idea raised my eyebrow this morning. Of course, this is the same guy, Hanna, who initially proposed 300 ft towers for his storage facility. Interesting that it sounds like this was his proposal for the Yeon/former-McCall's building, and that Saltzman at least is supportive of the idea coming to fruition elsewhere along the waterfront. Could be amazing -- could be embarrassing. My site suggestion: on the post office site where the ramps to the Broadway bridge come together, at what will be (or should be) the north end of the park blocks.

Former McCall's Restaurant in Waterfront Park could be a museum or cafe

The city hopes to draw more visitors to the downtown park along the Willamette River
Monday, August 11, 2008
STEPHEN BEAVEN
The Oregonian Staff

The Portland Bureau of Parks & Recreation has chosen two finalists to redevelop the historic building on the Willamette River that once housed McCall's Restaurant.

The vacant modernist structure in Tom McCall Waterfront Park could be turned into a museum that explores the development of cities across the globe or a facility with a cafe and services for bicyclists and tourists.

The project is one of several under way along the Willamette River as part of city efforts to bring more visitors to the waterfront. One development in the embryonic stage is a 600-foot tower that could include an observation deck and restaurant at the top.

The Parks Bureau expects to make a recommendation on the McCall's site to city Commissioner Dan Saltzman by month's end, said Todd Lofgren, the bureau's business development coordinator. Ultimately, Saltzman will take the proposal to the City Council.

The city wants to boost activity in the area during the rainy season.

"For the off-season," Lofgren said, "it's a matter of providing a hub of activity that improves the security of the park and makes it feel like it's a safe and convenient place."

The building was designed in 1949 by John Yeon and was first used as the Portland Visitors Information Center.

One of the finalists for the space is Bike Republic, a 4-year-old private company that hopes to redevelop the site with a cafe, bicycle rentals, repair and service.

"What we're trying to do is attract bicycles and pedestrians, the park crowd," said owner Ken Nichols.

The cafe has four other locations in Portland, but Nichols declined to provide the name, and the Parks Bureau refused to release the finalists' proposals.

The other finalist is a development that would be called The Center for the City, the brainchild of Chet Orloff, director emeritus of the Oregon Historical Society.

Orloff wants to create a space for classes and public events, with information on the city's history, architecture, urban design and other topics, along with exhibits about other cities.

"Where do you take them (visitors) to learn about the past, the present and future of the city?" Orloff said. "That's what I envision."

Other projects along the river include a new home for Saturday Market being constructed south of the Burnside Bridge in Waterfront Park. And the old Centennial Mills property in the Pearl District is being redeveloped.

And Derek Hanna, a Portland developer, has two projects in the works. One is an environmentally friendly boat-storage facility and restaurant that will feature wind turbines at 306 S.E. Ivon St. north of the Ross Island Bridge. Hanna hopes to start construction in the next 30 days.

His other project is the tower, which also would generate its own energy with wind turbines and solar panels.

Hanna proposed putting the tower at the McCall's site but didn't make the cut. He plans to work with the city and community groups to refine the designs, and already has Saltzman's support.

"Dan is still very interested in seeing this built somewhere near downtown," said Brendan Finn, Saltzman's chief of staff.

Stephen Beaven: 503-294-7663; stevebeaven@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:31 PM

600 foot tower

This is the first that I have heard of this , but it would be a welcome addition to the skyline. It seems like most bit cities have some sort of observations tower/restaurant. Does anyone have a rendering of what has been proposed?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 6:47 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Considering there are always lots of pedestrians and cyclists around the old McCall building on the park, it would make a good pit stop. Hope they put in a cafe or something too so you can get something to sip on.. even just a soda on a hot day.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:40 PM

^^^ The Bike Republic proposal includes an un-named cafe that already has four locations around town. Sounds like Stumptown? Any other guesses?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:54 PM

They should built it to at least 606' so they surpass the height of the Space Needle by 1'....

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
^^^ The Bike Republic proposal includes an un-named cafe that already has four locations around town. Sounds like Stumptown? Any other guesses?
Maybe Daily Cafe...how many locations do they have now?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 10:25 PM

I thought there were height restrictions on the waterfront?

Talking about the tower, from the phrasing in the article it sounded to me like the proposal is a tower that INCLUDES a observation deck/ restaurant on top of office or condos or something. Not a Space Needle type tower whose singular use is observation. Just my interpretation.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:00 PM

Doesn't the Space Needle have 2 restaurants?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Doesn't the Space Needle have 2 restaurants?
Maybe but the point of my post was that the from the phrasing it sounded like this would be a tower with 30-40 stories of office or residential space plus a Portland City Grill type restaurant, whereas the space needle has maybe 2-3(I don't know I've never been there) actual floors where people observe or eat or whatever.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 3:21 AM

Gotcha..

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:25 AM
Karma Police

I disagree, Dougall.

Quote:
....One development in the embryonic stage is a 600-foot tower that could include an observation deck and restaurant at the top.....

....His [Derek Hanna's] other project is the tower, which also would generate its own energy with wind turbines and solar panels....

....Hanna proposed putting the tower at the McCall's site but didn't make the cut. He plans to work with the city and community groups to refine the designs, and already has Saltzman's support....
This says nothing about office or residential, and Waterfront Park isn't zoned for either. I doubt Hanna is interested in those anyway. He seems to be more eager to make a major architectural statement in Portland, not become a landlord.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:31 AM

this would be a welcome upgrade.

that building could certainly become a hub for many of us to go an hangout by the river.

Right now, most people just stroll or ride by, not much to do other than that.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:24 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Nine years ago, McCall's was one of my favorite places to go out to eat on a summer evening. This was right after the Hawthorne bridge re-opened after being closed for a year-long restoration.

I was new to Portland and loved sitting by the river at McCall's, eating a bucket of steamed clams and watching the Hawthorne go up and down as they readied it to be put back into use.

At the time, I couldn't understand why McCall's didn't do well enough to survive. They had a great patio along the river and great food, but the place seemed to keep changing ownership and management. But then again, I was proof of the problem. I went there when the weather was great to spend sunny times on their patio. How much of that kind of weather does Portland really get? Not much.

I'd love to see a restaurant open there, but a bike hub of some sort seems to make the most sense. Cyclists might be the only clientele that location can count on year-round.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:35 PM
Well designed mixed use

I like the idea of a more low key cafe for this spot. It would be busier more often. I think the waterfront needs less of a destination restaurant and more of a place that serves everyone, all the time. A Daily Cafe or Stumptown Coffee would be perfect.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 6:03 PM

According to the Oregonian editorial this morning, in favor of the Bike republic idea, the cafe is slated to be a Laughing Planet.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 6:14 PM
Well designed mixed use

That sucks. Laughing Planet is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I disagree, Dougall.

Quote:
....One development in the embryonic stage is a 600-foot tower that could include an observation deck and restaurant at the top.....

....His [Derek Hanna's] other project is the tower, which also would generate its own energy with wind turbines and solar panels....

....Hanna proposed putting the tower at the McCall's site but didn't make the cut. He plans to work with the city and community groups to refine the designs, and already has Saltzman's support....
This says nothing about office or residential, and Waterfront Park isn't zoned for either. I doubt Hanna is interested in those anyway. He seems to be more eager to make a major architectural statement in Portland, not become a landlord.
I see what you mean and I know nothing about Hanna or his motivation for building this. All I am going on is the phrasing. From the first quote you used it sounds like he is planning a 600 foot tower. Then it goes on to say that it could include a observation deck and restaurant. Just a small detail and just my interpretation.

Also, what about the height restrictions near the waterfront? Does it matter if its a skinny space-needle type building vs. a typical bulky portland tower? It seems as long as its over the height limit it would be a long-shot to be built.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 11:24 PM
Well designed mixed use

No investor in the world would or could build a 600 foot tower without putting office and or retail and residential beneath it. He definitely wants to make a statement, but won't be able to unless he has some cash flow. He's rich, but not that rich.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
That sucks. Laughing Planet is terrible. Absolutely terrible.
Haven't been there in a long time. A Daily Cafe would be a good fit, esp. if they could serve wine and beer to attract an evening crowd. And a bicyclist facility would ensure some activity around there. It's such a great spot, next to the fountain, near most of the waterfront park activity. They really need to get something cool that everyone can take advantage of -- it's such a waste of a location right now!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 1:27 AM

I was hoping for another Stumptown. Laughing Planet just gives it kind of a funky feel... an adjective that I'd never use as a compliment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland