HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 2:29 AM

If I could be mayor for a day....

I would subsidize the Cannon Knitting Mills into Hamilton's own distillery district.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I believe that it is a prospective tennant that is looking to open a brew-pub within the old Vacuum Shop at King William/Wellington and not solely the owner of the building. Plans for redevelopment of this building are underway and it should be a great booster for that area.
Yeah it'd be a joint venture between the owner and one of the tenants on the 3rd floor.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I believe that it is a prospective tennant that is looking to open a brew-pub within the old Vacuum Shop at King William/Wellington...
Love that building, glad to hear it may be saved!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:36 PM

The Hamilton Brewery Launch Party

THB is launching it's flagship Ale, Blue Collar Pale Ale! This landmark event in the Hamilton craft beer scene is being held the evening of Nov 27th at the Casbah at the corner of Queen and King, doors open at 8 pm! Music from The Marla's and Blue Collar on tap, its gonna be a great night! First round is on us! For more details and information on attending please visit www.thehamiltonbrewery.com or @hamiltonbrewery on twitter.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 8:54 PM

^ Hope the launch goes well. THB is contract-brewing at Railway City, so the beer should be ok. Or better than ok

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM

Is anyone planning on going tonight who can report back to us? I will try to make it, but still unsure.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:09 PM

why bother contract brewing a plain (imho boring) pale ale? seems like a lot of work for little flavour

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
why bother contract brewing a plain (imho boring) pale ale? seems like a lot of work for little flavour
Here I thought that the 'h' was supposed to stand for 'humble'!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
^^ Bingo!

I'm a fan of pale ales, and there are excellent ones available from many GTA craft brewers. It's an overcrowded segment at the moment. I guess he'll market the Hamilton connection to the max.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 8:14 PM

I think it’s pretty popular. It’s personally not my favourite type of beer (I tend to agree that it’s a bit boring, but that’s not to say I don’t like them sometimes). You're right that there's a number of them out there- nearly every brewer seems to have (at least) one. I think that’s because it has broad appeal.

Anyway, the Hamilton connection really is enough for me to try.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 2:20 PM

I actually did make it to The Hamilton Brewery event last night. It was a pretty fair crowd- the founder’s stepfather was checking the list at the door, and his uncle did a good job as opener.

I liked the beer quite a bit. I’m not connoisseur so won’t try to find the right adjectives, but I found it interesting enough and would say it’s well worth a try. The founder tells me that it is already at Casbah, and will be at several bars on Augusta and Locke by the weekend. He seemed to still be quite enthusiastic about getting a physical brewery set up, but didn’t have a timeline.

According to the promotional literature, 30 litre kegs are $130, with no deposit (recyclable plastic keg rather than the steel jobs you have to take back). Could be good for a party where you might have bought three or four cases instead.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:52 PM

I'm glad to hear they're brewing at Railway City as that assures me of the quality going into it. Railway City makes what's pretty much indesputably the best IPA in Ontario, Dead Elephant.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I'm glad to hear they're brewing at Railway City as that assures me of the quality going into it. Railway City makes what's pretty much indesputably the best IPA in Ontario, Dead Elephant.
Much to like about Railway City. But let's get together at a pub and we'll dispute who makes the best IPA in Ontario. It sure isn't RC!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Here I thought that the 'h' was supposed to stand for 'humble'!
And here I thought it stood for honest ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
According to the promotional literature, 30 litre kegs are $130, with no deposit (recyclable plastic keg rather than the steel jobs you have to take back). Could be good for a party where you might have bought three or four cases instead.
Must be bar pricing. Contract brewers aren't allowed to sell to individuals (legally anyways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Much to like about Railway City. But let's get together at a pub and we'll dispute who makes the best IPA in Ontario. It sure isn't RC!
100% agreed. dead elly is good but there's no way it's the best IPA (imho again haha). I like RC but there's a definite breadiness in every beer that makes all of their styles kind of blend together. Nothing wrong with it but I find it distracting sometimes. I find Copper to be their best - it seems to use that flavour to its advantage better than the others.

Hard to pick a best IPA but I keep coming back to mad tom for the flavour hit without the knockout abv.

Getting away from Ontario for a minute, now that sierra nevada has an east coast brewery I'm hoping we start getting it at LCBO http://www.sierranevada.com/brewery/...na/new-brewery

back to local... I just can't get excited about THB. the new logo is nice but the beer is just OK - it's beer brewed by an accountant trying to fill a market niche rather than by a brewer who wants to make good beer. I mean, I'm happy qbout every hamilton brew as we are LONNNG overdue but I think we'll see much better stuff coming from http://gardenbrewers.ca/ - they are organically making their way into the market based on flavour instead of blasting out of the gate begging for money...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 1:54 PM

I think Boneshaker's my favourite Ontario IPA, but it's not for everyone... The bitterness destroys your tastebuds, but I love it.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 2:20 PM

boneshaker is awesome but partaking in a second - or more - can quickly make one loopy haha

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 2:23 PM

To coalminecanary's post: yes, that keg price is for bars. Yes, Sierra Nevada IS coming to LCBO! Read this: http://bensbeerblog.com/2014/11/17/s...ng-to-ontario/

I'm just a craft beer lover, but I do know people in the beer business who tell me that the THB owner was given a lot of valuable advice after his failed effort to raise funds. That guidance ultimately led to the launch of the brand this week.

Last edited by movingtohamilton; Nov 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM. Reason: added a link

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 8:41 PM

Anyone have any details on the fire at the old Lakeport/new Collective Arts brewery at Burlington/Wellington?

I hope it was minor and doesn't slow down the renos they're doing right now.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 10:10 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
Anyone have any details on the fire at the old Lakeport/new Collective Arts brewery at Burlington/Wellington?

I hope it was minor and doesn't slow down the renos they're doing right now.
Apparently it was a small fire and isn't impacting their plans.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 6:15 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation