HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It has long been my desire to turn the area around where Robson and Granville meet into a Dundas Square. The entire stretch along Granville north of this intersection is also perfect for such a transformation. I would be so happy if just that one portion of Downtown was turned into a commercial buzz, for it has the two train lines (multiple subway stations) 2 underground malls (that should become one) clubs, street front retail and multilayered above ground shopping, perfect for neon signs, big LCD screens and music! That is all i want, just that one small area to be transformed, every where else can stay as it is. And to finish it the Sears building should be destroyed and replaced with a huge open multi level shopping atrium with a 40 to 50 floor office tower on top.
I really hope they abandon the whole tree planting thing on Granville...I really like how it is right now.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:28 AM
Hello World

They should add rows and rows of big LCD near the roof of the Sears building to cover up its ugliness. That will definitely liven that area up a bit. I mean, I can just imagine it having LCD screens all along that Sears building and they can do cool video effects with it since it'll be a rather long LCD strip. Oh, and then add a big office tower on top of Sears.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:33 AM

even some lighting like the miu miu store in hong kong would be better

from flickr

source

or the coach store

sourcce

or louis vuitton

wikimedia

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:39 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think we'll see the Sears building gutted and rebuilt before you'll see LCDs all over it. But that is still years away anyways.

You will see the white walls used as projection screens in the meantime, but only for special events.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:44 AM

Why just special events? it seems like if i owned that building i would be using my empty white space as much as possible for commercials. (granted you need permission from the building across the street to mount a projector, but then both business could split the profits.) Seems like a really cheep thing to set up for good revenues.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:58 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Because the city wouldn't allow it, they have been fighting billboard/ads for years and won't be letting up anytime soon.
They are able to use the wall for event programming though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:01 AM

Maybe Van council should take a tour through Winnipeg and see what a great atmosphere some LCD screens and neon lights can create, instead of being a bunch of billboard nazis. I think even Calgary is starting to create some nice commercial zones with LCD screens.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:01 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
It has long been my desire to turn the area around where Robson and Granville meet into a Dundas Square. The entire stretch along Granville north of this intersection is also perfect for such a transformation. I would be so happy if just that one portion of Downtown was turned into a commercial buzz, for it has the two train lines (multiple subway stations) 2 underground malls (that should become one) clubs, street front retail and multilayered above ground shopping, perfect for neon signs, big LCD screens and music! That is all i want, just that one small area to be transformed, every where else can stay as it is. And to finish it the Sears building should be destroyed and replaced with a huge open multi level shopping atrium with a 40 to 50 floor office tower on top.
There should be some changes completed by next year. Not exactly a Dundas Square, but I think something a little less bombastic. It's a start at least.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:02 AM

I fully agree that the new Granville street re-design is a great step in the right direction, i love their lighting posts. But i agree with mr. X that maybe they should not plant new trees along the street, and if they do i hope they select a slow growing short species.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Maybe Van council should take a tour through Winnipeg and see what a great atmosphere some LCD screens and neon lights can create, instead of being a bunch of billboard nazis. I think even Calgary is starting to create some nice commercial zones with LCD screens.
but vancouver has the mountains - we don't neeed LCD screens

groan

anyway they have had laser things on the side - years ago - like early 200's during the summer they would have laser display ads on the VAG side - it was pretty cool - monotone but livened up the space

I never understood why they haven't kept doing them since

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:08 AM

I guess only a bizarre city council would rather have the world's largest blank white wall that looks like a giant toilet in the middle of the regions largest commercial district instead of some interesting projected displays/videos.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:13 AM

yes

its pretty lame

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:27 AM

Quote:
I guess only a bizarre city council would rather have the world's largest blank white wall that looks like a giant toilet in the middle of the regions largest commercial district instead of some interesting projected displays/videos.
Welcome to Vancouver. Home of the "bizarre" city council. I can think of other descriptive words for them....

There are literally DOZENS if not more examples of this Vancouver's "bizarre" fear of; well anything loud, bright, that doesn't involve a tree or isn't extremely boring.

One such example was the small neon sign that marked the entrance to Dunn's clothing store that has been a Vancouver fixture for a half century. When they were moving into their new location a decade or so ago they decided to take their old neon sign with them. They spent money to have it completely refurbished and planned to put it up at their new location. No sooner than they put it up above their entrance, Vancouver's sign Nazis came by and informed them their sign was in contradiction of code. You see the sign protrudes onto the sidewalk (a no-no), and has the word Dunn's above it in neon (also a no-no since the awning is considered a "roof" and Vancouver bans all rooftop signs). The store spent a considerable amount of both time and money catering to the city and the board of variance, before they were finally allowed to keep it. With such stupidity, I doubt the chances are good for the city allowing much more light than the limited amount they currently allow.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:36 AM

Vancouver USED to be the neon capital of North America and had the highest amount of neon signs per capita in the world! Now, all the city has is the highest amount of nimby's per capita in the world.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Welcome to Vancouver. Home of the "bizarre" city council. I can think of other descriptive words for them....

There are literally DOZENS if not more examples of this Vancouver's "bizarre" fear of; well anything loud, bright, that doesn't involve a tree or isn't extremely boring.

One such example was the small neon sign that marked the entrance to Dunn's clothing store that has been a Vancouver fixture for a half century. When they were moving into their new location a decade or so ago they decided to take their old neon sign with them. They spent money to have it completely refurbished and planned to put it up at their new location. No sooner than they put it up above their entrance, Vancouver's sign Nazis came by and informed them their sign was in contradiction of code. You see the sign protrudes onto the sidewalk (a no-no), and has the word Dunn's above it in neon (also a no-no since the awning is considered a "roof" and Vancouver bans all rooftop signs). The store spent a considerable amount of both time and money catering to the city and the board of variance, before they were finally allowed to keep it. With such stupidity, I doubt the chances are good for the city allowing much more light than the limited amount they currently allow.
That's amazing, but I'm not remotely surprised. Remember the removal of the Lee Building billboard? 10 years of legal battles because the City in their infinite wisdom never thought "You know, maybe we have more important things to do than litigate against someone with a sign that doesn't block anyone's views, and serves as a useful landmark".

Newsflash for the citizens of Vancouver: if a sign that takes up a tiny bit of your vision 0.00000001% of the time actually bothers you, you need to get your priorities straight.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:43 AM

Haha, WOW! What amazes me is how strictly enforced these silly and ant-progressive policies are. If only the city paid this same attention to its gang, drug, theft and homeless problems!

Vancouver councilor, "Hmm, another gang shooting last night, another homeless person found death, the dumpster divers are making a real health hazard in the back alleys and kids were found playing with more used needles today... but forget all that, there is a neon sign that is above a roof in the entertainment district, we better get on that right away!"

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 6:07 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Haha, WOW! What amazes me is how strictly enforced these silly and ant-progressive policies are. If only the city paid this same attention to its gang, drug, theft and homeless problems!

Vancouver councilor, "Hmm, another gang shooting last night, another homeless person found death, the dumpster divers are making a real health hazard in the back alleys and kids were found playing with more used needles today... but forget all that, there is a neon sign that is above a roof in the entertainment district, we better get on that right away!"
Hey you never know that neon sign could fall and kill people below it ! It's a death trap !!!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Because the city wouldn't allow it, they have been fighting billboard/ads for years and won't be letting up anytime soon.
They are able to use the wall for event programming though.
Is there a reason why the COV is fighting against billboards/ads? Would the LCD screens (i.e. Dundas example) be a form of electronic billboards/ads? Would the city fight against having those up as well?

If the Sears building ever comes down, that'd be the day I rejoice. Finally - and we get a new mall nice. heheh...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I fully agree that the new Granville street re-design is a great step in the right direction, i love their lighting posts. But i agree with mr. X that maybe they should not plant new trees along the street, and if they do i hope they select a slow growing short species.
amen!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post

wow. with a city council like that, this city won't be going anywhere anytime soon. we're always known for trees, and mountains. it's a God-given surrounding we've been blessed with, but c'mon, city council, our leaders for goodness sakes, need to step up with some sort of vision for this city, or else it's always going to be mediocre, on the verge of greatness, but just not quite there. kind of like the Canucks :|

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues