HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Two Gilmore Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Im still a little confused - is the tall flagship tower actually proceeding in Phase1? Or no?

If so its supposed to be new tallest in BC, correct?
As far as I know, phase 1 is tower 1 tower 2. Phase 2 is tower 3 which is the tallest one among these 3 and it plans to finish in 2024. Will it be the tallest in metro Vancouver by that time ? I don't know. All 3 towers share the amenities in the same podium and retail floors below them.

Not sure why people like to live at the very top. In a very windy day, it is not for the faint of heart. I know that because I live on a tall building too. The wind can move my heavy BBQ grill on patio. My building has a rooftop garden on 48th floor. If I have to choose again, I don't mind to live at lower floor below 20th b/c I can go to rooftop anytime to see the 360 degree million dollar view. My blood pressure drops or raises along with the fast elevators too :-)

Last edited by e-clam9; Dec 12, 2018 at 1:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-clam9 View Post
Not sure why people like to live at the very top. In a very windy day, it is not for the faint of heart. I know that because I live on a tall building too. The wind can move my heavy BBQ grill on patio. My building has a rooftop garden on 48th floor. If I have to choose again, I don't mind to live at lower floor below 20th b/c I can go to rooftop anytime to see the 360 degree million dollar view. My blood pressure drops or raises along with the fast elevators too :-)
Nah, that's just silly and I have never had my Weber move by storm winds. If that is really a problem for you, perhaps consider anchoring your BBQ to the wall? Do you live in Altus or Station Square 2?

I personally love falling asleep and waking up to a sight of an impressive skyline with mountains behind without without getting up from bed. Can't have that on the lower floors.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-clam9 View Post
As far as I know, phase 1 is tower 1 tower 2. Phase 2 is tower 3 which is the tallest one among these 3 and it plans to finish in 2024. Will it be the tallest in metro Vancouver by that time ? I don't know. All 3 towers share the amenities in the same podium and retail floors below them.
All three towers are proceeding as phase 1.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:36 PM

I believe its the tower 2 that is the tallest in western Canada

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykk3 View Post
Not even close.

Tower 2 will be the tallest in Metro Van, but it's nowhere near as tall as a few buildings in Calgary or the one in Edmonton.

It probably won't even be the tallest in metro van for long

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Brilliant! Thanks for confirming, that's very exciting news.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Not even close.

Tower 2 will be the tallest in Metro Van, but it's nowhere near as tall as a few buildings in Calgary or the one in Edmonton.

It probably won't even be the tallest in metro van for long
Is that going to be the Surrey one? (City Parkway, I believe. GEC center.)

At least until the Concord Pacific-Sears Metrotown tower one (65 Floors).
But that one's still a long ways away from any sort of approval.

EDIT:

Scratch that.
I just checked the Tower height thread and Gilmore will be taller than the Surrey tower but more than likely the Concord-Sears tower will be taller than both (Actual height not known at this stage but floor numbers indicate more than likely it will).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Is that going to be the Surrey one? (City Parkway, I believe. GEC center.)

At least until the Concord Pacific-Sears Metrotown tower one (65 Floors).
But that one's still a long ways away from any sort of approval.

EDIT:

Scratch that.
I just checked the Tower height thread and Gilmore will be taller than the Surrey tower but more than likely the Concord-Sears tower will be taller than both (Actual height not known at this stage but floor numbers indicate more than likely it will).
I was thinking of a few more yet to hit the books that will be substantially taller, but yes you're right the tallest Concord Metrotown tower will likely be taller than Gilmore.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:11 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

I was thinking of a few more yet to hit the books that will be substantially taller, but yes you're right the tallest Concord Metrotown tower will likely be taller than Gilmore.
Can you give a hint as to the municipality of this rumoured even-taller building? No hope of it being Vancouver, presumably?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Can you give a hint as to the municipality of this rumoured even-taller building? No hope of it being Vancouver, presumably?
Given Vancouver’s new glut of height restricting shadowing rules (despite spending years reforming policies to allow some locations to go taller and their “domed” skyline idea) I am not expecting to see a new tallest in Vancouver proper for decades, despite being the best location for such in our region.

Two recent examples to highlight this problem was the essentially pointless 7 metre reduction of 1133 Melville from 168 to 161 metres and the even more pointless reduction of the Jenga Tower from 152 metres to 135 metres (don’t even remember any solid policy or regulation related reasons used to justify that one.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykk3 View Post
Two Gilmore Place will be the tallest residential tower in western Canada

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Ditto what Metro-One said.

And in addition to that, while I don't imagine LeftCoaster will be at any liberty to give even as much as a hint, I would deduct from the discussion that when we're talking "Metro Van" area, we''re almost certainly NOT talking about Vancouver, but rather the rest of Greater Vancouver and the 'burbs.

My personal guess would be between Burnaby and Surrey.
Logically it would most likely have to be one of those two given that Richmond is not it for obvious reasons, and while the Tri-cities is not out of the question, I would still bet on one of those two.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:07 AM
Reason and Freedom

Obviously, it won't be Vancouver, unless there has been a much-needed, rational (and thus totally-unlikely) behind-the-scenes about-face at city hall yet to be announced. Even the Burrard Building site (i.e., the only remaining viable commercial office site within the entire central business district that miraculously escapes the smothering blanket of the city's ubiquitous viewcones over downtown) has been preemptively and arbitrarily kneecapped at a maximum of 700 feet, as per the city's recent West End Community Plan.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:35 AM

He's saying substantially taller. So what does that mean, 750' or more? Hard to see something that tall happening in a purely residential area, so that leaves Metrotown and Brentwood, where the combined commercial/residential FSR is 11. Even in downtown Vancouver, the tallest towers are hotel/reidential. You get good views living in Metrotown, so it makes sense to build as high as possible there. He's also indicating a few projects, so that's even more interesting.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:45 AM

I've said this before but I'll say it again if that's alright... When the St. Pauls site gets redeveloped it will be a major heritage retention project. In exchange for the heritage retention, it's my prediction the City will waive height restrictions. Look for at least 1 tower over 800 feet. Maybe even Canda's tallest. Who knows.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:37 AM

Quote:
I love how LeftCoaster teases us with not just one but several buildings taller than Gilmore Place and Sears Metrotown. It's exciting shit and belongs to the Ultimate Rumour Thread.

My money is on a very tall building going up in Brentwood around the intersection of Willingdon and Lougheed (maybe the Petro Canada site), as well as the rumoured 70-floor tower in Lougheed Centre becoming a reality. Especially Lougheed and Burquitlam has seen so many 50-floor proposals recently that a 70-floor tower would not surprise me.

What a time to be alive.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:58 AM

I've heard rumours of an 80 story proposal for New West of all places.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:04 AM

Quote:
You are right. I confused because they sold tower 3 separately. From what I read, estimated completion date for tower 1 is late 2023. For tower 3, the tallest one, estimated completion date is summer 2024.

Last edited by e-clam9; Dec 13, 2018 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:38 AM
BANNED

There's no way Concord will get that height approved under the new Burnaby mayor. Gilmore Tower 2 will stand tall above the rest for the next foreseeable decades.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I've heard rumours of an 80 story proposal for New West of all places.
Given the fact that New West has a 180 metre tower and a 149 metre tower approved and another around 130 proposed, that crept into my mind as well. I would actually be quite happy to see such a tower in New West, with its more urban feel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley