HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 1:16 AM
NOLA Razorback

Thanks! This is great looking infill if you're going to go a more historic look. Thanks for all the other photos as well.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:00 AM

Thanks for all the great pictures!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 1:04 PM
-

You welcome

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
You welcome
Agree, much thanks!

On 749 St. Charles, doesn't that look almost the same as 611 Commerce from years back, that seems to have stalled but its the same architects, I would be a bit upset if I were those owners, I guess they would sign some sort of waiver?

http://canalstreetbeat.com/new-6-sto...-for-cbd-pics/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
Agree, much thanks!

On 749 St. Charles, doesn't that look almost the same as 611 Commerce from years back, that seems to have stalled but its the same architects, I would be a bit upset if I were those owners, I guess they would sign some sort of waiver?

I mean its similar style but I doubt they own that design ... many architects have a style that carries across projects

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:53 PM
-

hope this means the building will sit on top of the theatre.. that would be the best ... ill see when updated plans are posted

Some more Canal Crossing and pics from VUE rooftop lounge:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:29 PM
-

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 12:23 AM
-

210 State St·New Construction · Ref Code: 1J4S3Y
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Martin Johnson
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/24/2018
Closed:
No
Description
A new Behavioral Health Hospital.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:25 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Agree, much thanks!

I don't see any resemblance. 611 Commerce was a loft/warehouse style building, while 749 St. Charles is definitely Craftsman style.

1430 Magazine is awesome. I love courtyard designs like that, reminds me of the building up at Sixth/Magazine with the CC's and Broken Egg (but better architecture). You see this kind of courtyard development in L.A. a lot, I'm glad to see them putting a NOLA spin on it. I'm trying to figure out how they are getting away with no parking, though? Is that long warehouse shed in back also part of the development? (I'd love to see a development here with no parking, but that's not the zoning reality unfortunately)

EDIT: ah, i see they are using the vacant lot across the street for parking. blegh, so now that lot will be closed off to new development for the next few decades.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:51 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I don't see any resemblance. 611 Commerce was a loft/warehouse style building, while 749 St. Charles is definitely Craftsman style.

1430 Magazine is awesome. I love courtyard designs like that, reminds me of the building up at Sixth/Magazine with the CC's and Broken Egg (but better architecture). You see this kind of courtyard development in L.A. a lot, I'm glad to see them putting a NOLA spin on it. I'm trying to figure out how they are getting away with no parking, though? Is that long warehouse shed in back also part of the development? (I'd love to see a development here with no parking, but that's not the zoning reality unfortunately)

EDIT: ah, i see they are using the vacant lot across the street for parking. blegh, so now that lot will be closed off to new development for the next few decades.
it doesnt say it will stay parking just that it will serve the building for the time being.. if this project is successful they will develop that side to im sure

also that long shed in the back is sort of connected to this.. it will be the future headquarters for Krewe Sunglasses I believe

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:58 AM
TL;DR

^ Aren't they required to provide parking per zoning code? If the lot across the street is required accessory parking, then it can't be developed unless they somehow keep all the parkign and build above it. Not sure a midrise building will fly with the Coliseum Square folks.

Also, I like that warehouse, glad to see it has a use planned. Sometimes cool old industrial buildings like that can fall through the cracks of the various preservation policies. Krewe Sunglasses are getting very popular these days nationally, my gf got a pair from some of the TV people she works with. She lives in Chicago, they were in NY... no connection to NOLA.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 4:38 PM

It's great to see that they are working to keep the State Palace intact as a performance venue. That should open the project up to a lot of historic and performing arts tax credits. I think that we would see a lot of the arts companies move to the theater if reopened as the size and design are much better for opera, ballet, and classical music than Mahalia Jackson and the Saenger. And they could make a lot of money with a few nice bars and restaurants on the ground floor.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 5:31 PM
-

Quote:
^ Aren't they required to provide parking per zoning code? If the lot across the street is required accessory parking, then it can't be developed unless they somehow keep all the parkign and build above it. Not sure a midrise building will fly with the Coliseum Square folks.

Also, I like that warehouse, glad to see it has a use planned. Sometimes cool old industrial buildings like that can fall through the cracks of the various preservation policies. Krewe Sunglasses are getting very popular these days nationally, my gf got a pair from some of the TV people she works with. She lives in Chicago, they were in NY... no connection to NOLA.
yeah they are but they can accomodate it and develop it .. its quite a lot of parking.. remember on street parking counts towards your requirement there... dont forget too how much parking requirements you can satisfy with bike storage now as well

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 28, 2018 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:

Their curbed one here looks pretty similar. Throw on some "styling" and its not far off. Anyway, I wouldn't be happy but to each their own.

https://nola.curbed.com/2016/8/19/12...ans-apartments

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:00 PM
-

Quote:
Their curbed one here looks pretty similar. Throw on some "styling" and its not far off. Anyway, I wouldn't be happy but to each their own.

its a fairly generic design so Im not sure i see the issue... they are similar footprints and the HDLC likes it... but as you said to each their own

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:

Most of the core has significant exemptions for parking. Looks like for this site they're exempt from providing parking for the first 5,000 GSF and then can count the on-street spaces in front for the balance. Check out all the exemptions:

http://czo.nola.gov/Article-22#22-4-C

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:46 PM
-

Windsor Court Hotel To Undergo $15M Refresh

http://canalstreetbeat.com/windsor-c...o-15m-refresh/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 5:06 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Windsor Court Hotel To Undergo $15M Refresh

http://canalstreetbeat.com/windsor-c...o-15m-refresh/
I wish they could do something to the outside. Such a great hotel but visitors are always surprised when I point to it and say thats one of the nicest in town

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I wish they could do something to the outside. Such a great hotel but visitors are always surprised when I point to it and say thats one of the nicest in town
Honestly just a paint job on that one would do wonders, so hopefully they have at least that planned.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 12:37 AM
TL;DR

Quote:

Nope, still don't see any resemblance. They're both urban buildings that fill a double lot, one is 5 stories, the other is 6. That's where the similarities end.

One has industrial metal windows, the other one has casements. One has balconies with wrought iron railings, the other one has a flat facade. ONe has a clay tile detail on top, the other one just ends abruptly. Etc etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations