HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Just wondering what your thoughts are about the stadium itself. Aside from the veil there doesn't seem to be too much that is out of the ordinary, but is the layout and the ability of people to roam about the big attraction?

Curious, because it seems to be the place to be and I'm wondering what is in the stadium itself that helps with that end.
The old stadium had its concrete bones exposed. It was an eyesore. The veil serves to screen the concrete to make it more visually appealing to neighbours. Lansdowne looks so much better and the fact that the surface parking lot is gone means that there are reasons to go to Lansdowne for many other reasons. Part of it is retail, part is offices, part is residential, and part is parkland. A great improvement over the old days.

The old stadium was also segregated. You could not walk between the north and south side without exiting the stadium. The new stadium allows you to walk completely around the stadium, so if you have friends on the other side, you can now go see them. The end zones are all set up so you can grab a drink and stand against the railing and watch the game. When the weather is nice, hundreds of people do that. Also the main concession area on the south side overlooks the field. Go buy a beer and you don't have to miss any of the action. The choice of food and beverage has been greatly expanded compared to the old days, so more varied tastes are being satisfied.

There are so many improvements to the stadium and surrounding area. The end result is that the demographics have changed dramatically. It is not just the older 'Rough Rider' fans there (I am one of them) but every age group including kids, and teenagers are at the games.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
It was always kind of hard to find numbers on what the actual cost for the stadium itself was (excluding the Civic Centre). Was it 110 million? Or did that include the refurb to the arena?
It is hard to separate costs out because the stadium was part of the whole Lansdowne Park redevelopment which was a Private-Public Partnership. What I see on-line is a $290M cost of the whole project, of which the city contributed $172M. This includes the refurbishment of the old Civic Centre and Arena, the construction of the new south side stadium, the new park, all the new commercial and residential buildings, the new underground parking garage and the moving and restoration of one heritage building. I believe the city's portion covered the cost of the stadium, park and the heritage building. There is a revenue sharing arrangement.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:30 PM

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:52 PM

^ About time. It was getting out of hand. It's amazing how Glen Johnson refused to acknowledge the growing impatience of the fans on that issue.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Whatever happened to that Calgary can-do spirit? There was a time when you guys would have showed the rest of the country how it was done.
Calgary city council votes to continue exploring 2026 Olympics bid
All of which beggars the question, where would they hold the opening and closing ceremonies, in a 20k seat hockey arena or a 30k fieldhouse/stadium. Hmmmm.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 7:25 PM

I hear the Ticats appointed veteran coach June Jones as the "assistant head coach"... somehow I doubt that Kent Austin was lobbying for that. What's his role? Is he going to be the caretaker's watchdog in the locker room, or what?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Calgary city council votes to continue exploring 2026 Olympics bid
All of which beggars the question, where would they hold the opening and closing ceremonies, in a 20k seat hockey arena or a 30k fieldhouse/stadium. Hmmmm.
Except this came out in local paper yesterday and sounds kind of ominous:
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...tion-increases

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Except this came out in local paper yesterday and sounds kind of ominous:
I don't see that as too ominous, just politicians being politicians afraid to make a commitment.

Will or should this go forward, I know not, but I do know a good excuse to go forward would be to get some federal money to help kickstart the local economy.

The feds will give money for an international games and for university infrastructure so a fieldhouse/stadium on/near the UofC might be an idea going forward. The fieldhouse I understand is one of Calgary's top needed facilities.

It's looking like the arena will be taken out of CalgaryNext, maybe it's time to visit the fieldhouse/stadium idea again.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:28 PM

BMO Field

Watching the Stamps and Argos slip and fall last night on BMO field's North End enphazised what a joke the CFL has become in Toronto. What professional league would let teams play on a field that goes from long grass to a short slippery surface that no one would call artificial turf just before the goal line? There were less problems with the old skydome baseball surface. From bad to worse in TO no wonder the attendence is abysmal.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:05 PM

^^^ Plus: there was nothing else going on in Toronto sports-wise last night, it looked like a beautiful evening, and at .500 the Argos are a powerhouse team for the weak east.

Maybe the government should pass a law to preserve the CFL then build a basic 20k stadium in Mississauga or perhaps London - although not sure if either of those places are interested in CFL football.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Watching the Stamps and Argos slip and fall last night on BMO field's North End enphazised what a joke the CFL has become in Toronto. What professional league would let teams play on a field that goes from long grass to a short slippery surface that no one would call artificial turf just before the goal line? There were less problems with the old skydome baseball surface. From bad to worse in TO no wonder the attendence is abysmal.
Seriously is that the worst you have to complain about? What about those NFL teams that used to play on dirt infields, San Diego, Cleveland, San Francisco come to mind.

I'm not going to try and defend the poor attendance in Toronto, it could take a long time to right the ship, but lame nitpicking like that surely doesn't help when there are far more pressing issues.

How about putting a positive pressure to bear on Calgary city council to get to work on a stadium, which at 60 years old they're gonna need likely sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:44 PM

the CFL should pull out of Toronto and put the team in Mississauga or Oshawa or something. Having a pro team in one of those cities would likely be successful.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
^^^ Plus: there was nothing else going on in Toronto sports-wise last night, it looked like a beautiful evening, and at .500 the Argos are a powerhouse team for the weak east.

Maybe the government should pass a law to preserve the CFL then build a basic 20k stadium in Mississauga or perhaps London - although not sure if either of those places are interested in CFL football.
This whole Toronto thing is really getting to be complaining for the sake of complaining.

I ask this: is the team going out of business? The answer is no, are they losing money? Yes. In the whole scheme of things, are the Argo losses themselves damaging the parent company to a great extent, I think the answer would be no.

There are many avenues to this entity, TSN, Bell, the Argos and they are all tied together. If it was another team where the stadium was less than half full and the owners didn't own TSN and have tons of money behind them then I'd be worried.

People can complain that it is a bad perception when they get small crowds, but people didn't seem to go on ad infinitem when the Jays were getting those types of crowds in a much larger stadium.

Every team (save Edmonton) was in a far, far worse situation than Toronto especially economically, and they all recovered.

I know people gotta complain but geez, can't we just let them get on with it. As I've said they don't need to convert the 6 million in the GTA, just 25k and they've started the initiatives to rebuild an audience, how bout people let them.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Seriously is that the worst you have to complain about? What about those NFL teams that used to play on dirt infields, San Diego, Cleveland, San Francisco come to mind.

I'm not going to try and defend the poor attendance in Toronto, it could take a long time to right the ship, but lame nitpicking like that surely doesn't help when there are far more pressing issues.

How about putting a positive pressure to bear on Calgary city council to get to work on a stadium, which at 60 years old they're gonna need likely sooner rather than later.
Good point elly. No one called NFL bush league when they had those situations. Also Miami, Oakland come to mind. I actually used to enjoy watching the players try to adjust to those situations, especially when it was raining! Football in the slop is always fun to watch, IMO.

Putting pressure on city council for a new stadium though? Aint gonna happen because not enough people care. There's been zero talk about replacing it.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Good point elly. No one called NFL bush league when they had those situations. Also Miami, Oakland come to mind.
My point exactly, this "bush league" double standard that is applied to the CFL, and no one else, really pisses me off.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:03 PM

Here's a little three part series on why I love the CFL

Pledging Allegiance To A New Team
Ed Tait www.bluebombers.com April 14 2017

Scott Mortland has a compelling story to tell. It’s about a fan’s heartbreak after a beloved franchise is yanked from his hometown.

It’s about a bond between a father and a son.

And it’s about how a diehard San Diego Chargers fan from Carlsbad, California has now sworn his allegiance to a new football team in a far, far away city.

And that would be the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

“It’s a little random, this story, but I think it’s going to lead to something special, especially for my son,” began Mortland in a chat with bluebombers.com this week. “And I think the Bombers are going to be the next chapter. A great chapter.”

Mortland is 57 and retired now after being a part owner of a small software company. He and his wife are the proud parents of four adopted children, the youngest of whom is 21-year-old Gregory, who is intellectually disabled.

A diehard sports fan, Mortland has had season tickets to the San Diego Padres and Chargers and has been a loyal supporter of all sports teams related to the city, including the American Hockey League’s Gulls and even the El Paso Chihuahuas – the Padres Triple-A affiliate in west Texas.

He began to take Gregory to games about seven years ago and the impact on his son, who is non-verbal but very social, was instant.

“The rest is history,” Mortland said. “We love the Padres. He enjoyed going to the Chargers games. I’ll be honest, he doesn’t get sports at all, but he loves being out in the open air and he loves meeting people. He just enjoys the experience. He has had a blast at the hockey games, too.”

And then came the news on January 12th of this year that the Chargers – after 56 years in San Diego – were packing up and moving to Los Angeles. Mortland, like many other fans who grew up cheering for icons like Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow, Charlie Joiner and LaDainian Tomlinson, was crushed.

“It was devastating news,” Mortland conceded. “I consider myself a native San Diegan after I moved here from Arizona when I was nine years old. This became my home. I grew up here and all these teams are mine.

“The NFL is just a juggernaut. ‘Big business’ doesn’t even begin to describe it. In the last six months, three franchises have left their cities (St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland). What’s hard for fans in San Diego is, yeah, they’re moving up the freeway and you can still follow them, but L.A. already has a football team. The Rams originated there for almost 30 years before moving to St. Louis for 20 years and then coming back. They’ve got two baseball teams, two hockey teams, two basketball teams, two colleges (USC and UCLA) who are revered and are treated as if they were professional. All the press here says that this franchise (the L.A. Chargers) are going to get lost with all those other teams that have existing fan bases.

“Now, when you grew up here in the 70s and 80s you are definitely made to feel you are the stepbrother to the L.A. teams,” Mortland added. “So, the fact they moved there is problematic for me. If they had moved to Vegas or San Antonio or some other city in the States I probably would have maintained my fanship.

“But going to L.A. and the way it was done… it just broke my heart.”

The day the Chargers made their exit from San Diego, Mortland gathered up all his team’s gear – his son’s comforter, hats, T-shirts, etc – and neatly placed them on his driveway for donation to Goodwill. A Facebook post notified all his friends he was done with the Chargers.

And then he began searching for a new club.

That brings us to how he came to find the Blue Bombers…

“I had had enough of the NFL and I figured my next option was the CFL and with only nine teams, it seemed to make it easy to choose one to support,” said Mortland. “And then I saw the old Winnipeg Blue Bomber logo with the lightning bolt and it was game over. The Chargers secondary nickname was the Bolts and here is this logo in front of me with the bolt and the logo and I thought, ‘Oh my God, this is it.’

“And when I went on the website and saw how involved the team was in the community with ‘Harris’ Heroes’ to ‘Medlocks Kicks for Kids’ to the connection with the indigenous community… I realize all teams do that, but it began with the bolt for me.”

“I looked at the roster and saw that Chris Randle went to Utah State – my niece went there on a basketball scholarship, and Tristan Okpalaugo went to Fresno State with Derek Carr and was nominated for the Bulsworth Trophy (awarded annually to the top player who began his career as a walk-on).

“As I was looking more and more into it I just thought, ‘This is my team.’”

Mortland reached out to Allan Hnatiuk in the Bomber Store and had his new gear shipped to him in California. And it wasn’t long after he spoke to Fan Services Manager Carol Barrott that Mortland decided he and his son Gregory absolutely had to get to Winnipeg for a game.

“We’ll be there for the July 27th game against Montreal,” he said. “We’re thinking of going up to a game in B.C., too, because it’s close and we may go to another in Hamilton because I have friends in Toronto. We were told about the zoo and that it’s a great city. We can’t wait.

“The only thing I want to make sure of is that Gregory gets a photo taken with Buzz and Boomer.”

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:10 PM

Scott & Gregory Mortland’s Visit To Winnipeg
Scott Mortland www.bluebombers.com July 31 2017

Scott and Gregory Mortland are from Carlsbad, California and were diehard fans of the San Diego Chargers before the team announced it would pull up stakes and move to Los Angeles this past winter. Scott, 57, is retired and his 21-year-old son, Gregory, is intellectually disabled.

The pair replaced their favourite football team with the Blue Bombers – read the full story here – and are so committed to their new club, they travelled to Winnipeg for last week’s game against Montreal.

What follows is Scott and Gregory’s account on their Excellent Bomber Adventure – written by Scott – during their stay…

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:37 PM

And in Part Trois of this series, despite Scott and Gregory's "challenges" they did what all good fans do and stayed and supported the home team to the bitter end.

You can see Scott and Gregory at 1:56:43 and 1:57:02 of the video (Gregory is wearing the Nichols shirt)

The Youtube video begins with 1:40 left in the game and the Bombers needing two touchdowns to win.

Start (go to) video at the 1:44:47 mark

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:40 PM

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/03/tv...best-week-yet/

"Turns out people will tune in to watch a train wreck.

The Calgary Stampeders 60-1 beatdown of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats was the most-watched game on TSN last week, helping the CFL to their best ratings of the 2017 season with an average of 543,000 viewers tuning in.

There’s still plenty of ground to make up, however: total viewership is still down 15 per cent from last season’s 592,000 average."

Week 5 TSN ratings

Thursday
Winnipeg at Montreal: 475,000

Friday:
B.C. at Edmonton: 572,000

Saturday (early)
Toronto at Saskatchewan: 540,000

Saturday (late)
Hamilton at Calgary: 583,000

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
Thursday
Winnipeg at Montreal: 475,000
Does not count RDS numbers which could add an extra 100-200k

Take a look at the Tor/Sask number, that should kill the myth of Saskatchewan fans driving the ratings. When the Argos do get a big number it is because the home fans are watching.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada