HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 10:26 AM

nice progress

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 12:26 PM

Continued...Downtown's Emerging Streetscape - Fresh Updates - City Creek Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
So, what is that huge girder/truss for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
That piece of steel is for a crane that will roll back and forth on it to help with the movement of boulders and other materials. It will be removed after they are finished.

Quote:
That explains it, I was wondering what the rails on top were for.
Jtrent: farmerboy is referring to the beams it is fastened to as seen in the first picture. Here's a closer look:

The particle board is there just to fill a gap, apparently. The track is in its final location until its disassembled.

Quote:
Really? All that steel for a temporary track? They must be moving in some huge boulders. If that's the case, then that really shows how dedicated the developers are to make this a high quality place. Because, I think most developers would hire someone to make fake Disneyesque boulders.

A new crane! Construction site for the new Harmon's(full service grocer).
By John Martin

Last edited by delts145; Sep 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 1:01 AM

Rio Grande Depot a crown jewel - Depot celebrates its centennial
with exhibit that runs through Saturday

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...rande-Depot-a-
crown-jewel.html

The Denver and Rio Grande Depot, constructed in 1910, owed
its existence to a boom in transportation and industry.

In the early 1900s, Salt Lake City was establishing its place as the "Crossroads of the West"
as more people and goods passed through on their way to other
destinations, as well as came to stay.

The city was thriving and growing. Since the turn of that century,
the population of Salt Lake City had nearly doubled, going from
53,000 to 92,000. Several large hotels had been built or were
under construction; several large commercial buildings were changing
the look of downtown...

By rcvideo

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:

The ZCMI Block portion of the City Creek Center running along South Temple Street. This particular building will be
styled and finished in a late 19th Century design. This, in order to help connect the historical flow from across the street
with it's very beautiful, historical neighbors. It has also been the deliberate intention of the developers to create an
organic, over time feel of development, and avoid the sterility created with too many of today's Lifestyle Centers

An overview of the newly resurrected Richard Street, which runs north/south through the Crossroads Block portion
of City Creek. At center is a grand, Italian-Style Piazza. The Piazza will be completed with accompanying water
features. There will be an abundance of major water features throughout City Creek's different locals.

By John Martin

Last edited by delts145; Sep 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
The New Yorker is getting a paint job:

pasa47, http://www.flickr.com/photos/pasa/49...n/photostream/

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 7:05 PM

By Tucapel @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/tucapel...7609363727907/

Salt Lake City, Least Stressed Metro In America

http://www.portfolio.com/special-rep...opolitan-areas

A Stress Test for America
by G. Scott Thomas Sep 07 2010

In an exclusive analysis of the nation's 50 largest metropolitan areas, Detroit ranks as the most stressful place
to live and work, while Salt Lake City lays claim to have the least stress-inducing attributes.

...Life is considerably calmer in Salt Lake City, which ranks as the nation’s least-stressful metropolitan
area.

Salt Lake City has the lowest murder rate of any major metro, 94 percent smaller than Detroit’s. It also ranks among
America’s four best markets for short commutes, low unemployment, and low incidence of circulatory-system
diseases...

Stress is least in Salt Lake, most in Detroit, report says

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...port-says.html

CHICAGO — Detroit is the most stressful U.S. city in which to live, according to Portfolio.com's list of places
where residents are most frazzled.

The least stressful? Salt Lake City.

The top 10 most stressful cities, according to the study:"

 Detroit

 Los Angeles

 Cleveland

 Riverside, Calif.

 St. Louis

 New York

 New Orleans

 Chicago

 Birmingham, Ala.

 Miami-Fort Lauderdale

The top 10 least stressful cities, according to the study:

 Salt Lake City

 Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Va.

 Minneapolis-St. Paul

 Raleigh, N.C.

 Austin, Texas

 Oklahoma City

 Denver

 San Antonio

 Kansas City

 Phoenix

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:

By John Martin

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 11:48 AM

S.L. moves ahead on soccer complex plan

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...plex-plan.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Saying opposition to a soccer complex near the Jordan River is rooted in misinformation, the Salt Lake City Council voted Tuesday night to move forward with the $22.8 million project.

The council's action authorizes the city administration to begin entering into contracts for the 160-acre complex near 2200 North, allowing construction to begin this month in anticipation of a fall 2011 opening...

SLC Council green-lights $22.8M soccer complex

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50...-lake.html.csp

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
112-Unit apartment community to be built in South Salt Lake

The article in The Enterprise states that it is located at 2550 S Main St. Developed by Park City based SEEC Enterprises and will be called Brickstone on Main. It will 4 3-story residential buildings with a pair of two-story buildings and one recreational building. These are the same people who are just completing the Brick Stone Apartments on 33rd right now. They are currently awaiting HUD financing on the project to purchase the land and build the project. They hope to start in January 2011 and think it will take 11 months.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 11:42 AM

..."It is a massive remodeling on a scale of, say, the pyramids. Not building them, moving them"...

The Canyon resort remakes its runs

Kevin Alvers, left, and other Santa Clauses wait in the lift line at The Canyons in Park City Saturday. The ski resort invited the first 50 guests in full Santa attire to ski or ride for free. (Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-its-runs.html

THE CANYONS — Years ago, they invented lifts that took care of the problem of gravity.

Then they figured out how to make snow.

Now they're moving mountains.

Ski resorts. You've got to hand it to them. They're not afraid to tackle the big stuff.

Today's specific example is The Canyons resort in Park City, where, as we speak, a flotilla of bulldozers, track hoes, dump trucks and other assorted earth-moving equipment is turning a south-sloping hillside into a north-sloping hillside.

By Thanksgiving, what used to be up will be down, and vice versa...

SKI Magazine Feature: The End of Chairlift Chills

September 7, 2010 - 2:07pm
by Aaron Kahn

The Canyons Resort is pioneering one of the biggest innovations in skier comfort since Gore Tex, a heated capsule that completely shields riders from the elements. The orange, Plexiglas bubble wraps up, from the footrests, over the safety bar, then behind the back of the bench.

Without the nuisance of piercing winds, it’s possible to enjoy the heated seat that charges for 7-seconds as it rounds the base of the terminal and reaches a temperature of about 55 degrees.

On a clear day, according to The Canyons communications coordinator, Hannah Bowling, “the views will be unmatched. It will feel like you’re in a pair of sunglasses.”

This added protection will also allow operators to raise the lift speed, moving riders from the Grand Summit Hotel to the mid-mountain Lookout Peak, then to the Sun Peak Lift, a change of 3,190 feet, in just nine-minutes. Increasing the lift speed inherently raises uphill lift-capacity; projections are as high as 47% more riders per hour.

The first of it’s kind in North America, this chairlift design originated in Austria and is expected to start a new trend at resorts around the nation, according to Bowling.

“It’s our goal to find the newest and most advanced technologies, this is just the start,” said Bowling.

The Canyons' New Bubble Lift

skinet.com

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 11:39 AM

Westminster College opens new science building

the chronicle.com

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-building.html

...The $30 million, 60,000-square-foot facility replaces a 60-year-old building a tenth its size. Each of its four floors is wrapped around an open atrium showcasing a spiraling, DNA-helix-shaped sculpture by local artists Dan Cummings and Dana Kuglin based on the genetic blueprint for a butterfly's wing.

Abundant natural light, recycled materials — including wood from a landmark plane tree that came down to make way for the building — and water conservation features make it a green structure, with the goal of earning gold Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) status later this month...

The Meldrum Science Center will house classroom labs, areas for studying and engrossing, science-based artwork. (Tom Smart, Deseret News)

Tom Smart, The Deseret News

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 12:32 PM

Southern Metro

Demolition begins for new convention center

An artist's rendering shows what the Utah Valley Convention Center will look like when completed in March 2012. Utah Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...d5145d43c.html

.."Demolition is in high gear," said Don Nay, associate county public works director and project manager. "Things are really going to start now. Outside demolition begins in three weeks."...

..."It's fabulous," said Mayor John Curtis. "Every resident of Provo and Utah County should be delighted. It's a facilitator for making many good things happen in downtown Provo."...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
First off Happy Labor everybody. Enjoy this nice weather. ..........Ok now that I got that out of the way lets get down to business.

Today I was down in Provo to help my mother in law with her moving down there. While I was there I wanted to track down where the "new convention center project" is at. I found a fenced off area with building(s) torn down. So I'm guessing that would be the site. Anyway I took some photos of the site.

New convention center Update
September 6, 2010

Photos by Lee Powell.

Not sure what building or buildings used to be there. But there you have it. The buildings are down and Provo is well on it's way of getting their own convention center.

I also took a picture of a building that I'm guessing is the future site of the new 6-story Nu Skin building expansion will go. I'm a right? Will THIS building be torn down for that expansion?

And here are some pictures of the new Zions Bank Building and the Wells Fargo Building.

Wells Fargo Building. Built in 2003

Zions Bank Building. Built in 2009

Photos by Lee Powell

Not the best Photos since we were just driving by. But there you have it. Since my mother in law now lives in Provo I now have a reason to come down to Provo, so therefore I plan on following up on these projects whenever I do visit.
By SLC Projects

Last edited by delts145; Sep 14, 2010 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
A few of the University of Utah projects

The new Ustar building.

The Ustar building and the new Track and Field

The new Business Building

Also the U has approved funding for new dorms that are going to begin construction next to the Fort Douglas Trax Station.

By Stevena07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Crazy that there is so much building construction going on right now at the U. And
has been going on for some time now. I haven't been up there for a while now, how many cranes are there?....3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Thanks Steven for those update pics on the U-Star Building. I don't know how many of you
have seen this fly-through video yet of the U-Star building, but it is way cool. Here's the link: After clicking on
the link, scroll down to the last sentance of the last paragraph on the page,

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

I'm remembering an earlier rendering of the U-Star Building, with a different stone-work used. It was a rounder shaped stone, and didn't fit well with the building's overall look. I remember a lot of people hated it. I think I'm really going to like this linear stone/flag stone treatment a lot more.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
112-Unit apartment community to be built in South Salt Lake

The article in The Enterprise states that it is located at 2550 S Main St. Developed by Park City based SEEC Enterprises and will be called Brickstone on Main. It will 4 3-story residential buildings with a pair of two-story buildings and one recreational building. These are the same people who are just completing the Brick Stone Apartments on 33rd right now. They are currently awaiting HUD financing on the project to purchase the land and build the project. They hope to start in January 2011 and think it will take 11 months.

Quote:
Were there any renderings?

Orlando, This is the only rendering I could find on this project. Pretty run of the mill apartment style.

Mountain States Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Hopefully this the start of more developments to come. Perhaps a catalyst for the proposed 25-story residential highrise if it is still a proposal... ...I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
South Salt Lake really has a lot going on right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Sounds like it does. Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 5:29 PM

Northern Metro,

Northrop Grumman to move to $1.4 billion Hill AFB research park

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...arch-park.html

Falcon Hill

HILL AIR FORCE BASE — It's been in the works for two years, but Davis County officials learned Thursday that
the first tenant for a 550-acre research park on Hill Air Force Base's west side will be Northrop Grumman.

It signifies the beginning of Falcon Hill Aerospace Research Park, which, when completed, will be northern Utah's
largest economic development project...

...The research park is the largest project of its kind in the U.S. Defense Department and could bring as many as
15,000 high-paying jobs to Davis and Weber counties...

Falcon Hill

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 11:16 AM

The Regent

Regent high-rise on track to open up in mid-2011

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-mid-2011.html

...After two years of steady progress, in less than a year from now, knock on steel, The Regent should be home to downtown dwellers in 150 condo units, providing they sell them all, which is looking more and more probable...

Steve Bennett, Jacobsen Construction's site superintendent, gives a tour of one of the Regent at City Creek condominiums in downtown Salt Lake City. (Michael Brandy, Deseret News)

...Dale Bills, a City Creek spokesperson and one of the men wearing a hard hat in the penthouse, reports that The Regent already has 90 reservations for its 150 units — and that's not just talk. Those reservations include $7,500 deposits. The deposits are fully refundable, it's true, but, still, 90 customers are serious enough about living at The Regent that they've tied up $7,500 during an economic downturn when the project is nearly a year out.

Through the block, at the just-completed 90-unit Richards Court condos, Bills reports that 14 units have closed and 13 more are under contract — almost 30 percent capacity.

And next to that, the 185-unit, 30-story Promontory Tower hasn't even started taking reservations, and already people have put their names on what Bills terms an "interest list."

You never know, once the condos are finished, they could be as busy as when they were being built...

The Regent condominiums are scheduled to be completed in mid-2011 and will include 150 housing units. Ninety are already reserved by potential residents. (Michael Brandy, Deseret News)

The Regent by H4vok

Last edited by delts145; Oct 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 12:10 PM

Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post

View Larger Pics ...with crappy Flickr compression
By H4vok

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 11:40 AM

Salt Lake City Resorts

Public invited to golf course groundbreaking at Canyons

Patrick Parkinson
The Record Staff

For about a decade there was little progress made on the development of a golf course at the Canyons resort, but a groundbreaking scheduled Tuesday at the ski area will finally signal the start of construction.
Officials expect the project to result in an 18-hole public golf course at Canyons. The hope is that the facility will provide a catalyst for building activity near the resort.

After Tuesday's groundbreaking, work near State Road 224 could get underway next spring, Summit County Manager Bob Jasper said.

Course designers have been hired and a map of the proposed golf course will be unveiled at the groundbreaking, he added.

County officials are looking forward to the ceremony. Jasper said he plans to attend the groundbreaking with members of the Summit County Council.

The owner of Canyons is Talisker. Talisker Chief Executive Officer Jack Bistricer may attend Tuesday's groundbreaking.

The public is also invited. The ceremony will take place Tuesday at 10 a.m. near the ninth hole of the proposed golf course. There will be valet parking available at the Waldorf Astoria of Park City and attendees will be transported to the announcement location.

The new public golf course and recently completed, ultra swank Waldorf Astoria and Golden Door Spa,(pictured below) are but two of many recent developments included in the current building boom surrounding the Canyons Resort of Park City.

parkcitywaldorfastoria.com

"I know we have been through this before. But we have never had a groundbreaking and I have never been wearing a hard hat and thanking everybody for showing up," Summit County Council Chairwoman Claudia McMullin said. "If it happens, which I have no reason to doubt currently, but when this happens it is the event. It's the groundbreaking. It is going forward. The golf course is starting."

Last edited by delts145; Sep 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 6:25 PM

Salt Lake City Museum of Natural History Project

Updates by John Martin
Quote:
Natural History Museum:

Taken on labor day.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 11:40 AM

Downtown - Questar Project

The Salt Lake Tribune

Update By Goldcntry - Questar Construction Site
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
Just a couple of quick Questar Building shots from my office window...

Looks like we hit the water table...

Developer gambled on Salt Lake HQ deal for Questar

By Steven Oberbeck
The Salt Lake Tribune

Eight months ago, Wasatch Commercial Management learned Questar Corp.’s lease to its long-time headquarters building on the southwest corner of 100 South and 200 East in Salt Lake City was set to expire in 2012.

That led the real estate development company to gamble $100,000 it could lure Questar into becoming the anchor tenant in a new office building it wanted to construct at 333 S. State Street.

“We launched the project completely on spec,” Dell Loy Hansen, president of Wasatch Commercial Management said Tuesday. He also noted that Wasatch had discovered Questar was looking at remodeling its headquarters in discussions with EDA Architects to evaluate redesigning the structure.

“With Questar’s permission, we were able to sit down with EDA and learn what they (Questar) were looking for,” Hansen said. “So we were able to come up with a building that addressed all their needs.”

All of which made Wasatch’s gamble pay off.

Wasatch formally announced Tuesday at a gathering attended by the governor and other dignitaries it was partnering with Zions Bank to build a $45 million corporate headquarters building for Questar. The six-story, 170,000-square-foot structure will be one of the first LEED Silver energy-efficient buildings in the downtown area.

“It will be 20 percent more energy efficient than some of the buildings that are being constructed today,” said Peter Emerson, the executive officer overseeing operations at EDA. “And it will be 50 percent more efficient than buildings constructed a decade ago.”

Construction is expected to start next month, with Questar planning to move into its new headquarters in January 2012.

Once completed, Questar will occupy the top five stories, said president and CEO Ron Jibson. He pointed out that about 600 Questar employees will occupy the new space, which is about 20 percent smaller than the company’s current headquarters.

“We looked at all of the available alternatives, and this was the best option for both the company and its ratepayers,” he said, pointing out the new building will offer office space that is better organized and more efficient.

He added the leasing costs will be comparable to what the company would have had to pay had it decided to remain in its long-time headquarters.

Hansen said 6,000 square feet of street level retail and restaurant space is planned for the building.

“We can’t announce the name of that tenant yet because the contract hasn’t been signed,” he said. “But with all of the additional development we are seeing in the area there will be a need for another restaurant.”

The new Questar headquarters will occupy the north half of the parking lot at 175 E. 400 South, which is directly west of the Chamber of Commerce Building. The lost spaces will be moved underground.

Hansen said Questar also has been given a 10-year option to take space in the Chamber of Commerce building if that becomes necessary.

“Their new headquarters will be a very nice building but it will far from luxurious,” Hansen said. “Questar was very adamant about the fact that it needed to keep its ratepayers in mind.”

Amid the hoopla Tuesday, Salt Lake Chamber President Lane Beattie conceded Questar’s move will leave its existing headquarters building vacant and in need of tenants during a time of rising commercial vacancies.

“But we’ve been seeing so much growth downtown, with the City Creek project, Goldman Sachs and other projects, that I do not think it will be vacant for long,” Beattie said.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations