HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 1:46 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Don't worry, I still love you!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 1:58 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

SkyTower, I really think you should start focusing on other projects now. Burj Dubai already has a great site and there's loads of info on the net about it but there's loads of relatively unheard of projects that mightn't be as tall but are amazing nonetheless. Right now there are only 2 places where decent info on almost all towers can be found, SSC and emporis. A dedicated website would really have the edge if the database gets large enough.
I'm already finding the burj dubai page too cluttered. There's no need to get into such detail for the mall, lake hotel, etc on the same page. Each tower should have its own page. Also I feel there are too many images on that page, for the actual page on the burj dubai tower itsself, the home page is perfect for it. Not too much and not too little . Of course the page should then contain links to places where more info can be found. The images should also not be too large and there should be a nice balance between text and image so that it looks good on the page (I'm sure you know about this anyway). Each page should be concise and contain only the best renders and photos. One or two construction photos is enough I think if you have links to more.

As I said before organisation is REALLY important, best way IMO is to make a map where when you move the cursor over a project it will highlight, then when you click it zooms in and again the various plots will be highlighted and when you click you can go to the tower's page. You should also have the option of searching for towers by height aswell as the map way. I can image the map would be a pain to have to update and keep track of all the time tough

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:11 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Actually, I agree with all of the above!

I've been tweaking the SEO in my spare time rather than adding content for now.

I will split those pages on the 'burj dubai' link. A good map, highlighted with active icons should do the trick, with content on seperate pages for those who wish to know, rather than making people read through reams of stuff on one page.

I've also been sidetracked making a flash animated intro page......flying through the streets of dubai with billboards on the side, with the names of contributors upon them.......it's completly pointless....but really, really cool.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:11 AM
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower
Don't worry, I still love you!
Haha, good

And listen to Malec, he is a smart guy.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:44 AM
`

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
SkyTower, I really think you should start focusing on other projects now. Burj Dubai already has a great site and there's loads of info on the net about it but there's loads of relatively unheard of projects that mightn't be as tall but are amazing nonetheless. Right now there are only 2 places where decent info on almost all towers can be found, SSC and emporis.
Wrong. Website is called "Dubai Megaprojects", not "Dubai Projects".

Sky T, stick with the mega stuff only. There is a lot of tabs on the left, but if you have just 1 tab for Dubailand, then when you click on it, it then shows the tabs on the left for each project inside Dubailand. The way it is now, every project within Dubailand is on the main page. Kind of do some consolidating to make the tabs on the left a little less numerous so it is not so overwhelming to visitors.

Quote:
Each page should be concise and contain only the best renders and photos. One or two construction photos is enough I think if you have links to more.
I agree, but maybe a little more pics (like 5 or 6) since nobody wants to supply you with big photos. I would put just the latest render since very little will be released. Maybe have a link to all the renders like I did here. For some reason the compressed photos are of poorer quality than the same ones on bikes/ssc. Are they being sent to you the same way as we see them online? The individual levels look broken up as if someone resized it improperly, or on pupose to make the pics inferior to the same pics on other websites.

Quote:
best way IMO is to make a map where when you move the cursor over a project it will highlight, then when you click it zooms in and again the various plots will be highlighted and when you click you can go to the tower's page. You should also have the option of searching for towers by height aswell as the map way. I can image the map would be a pain to have to update and keep track of all the time tough
I don't think it's needed if you are only doing megaprojects. Your tabs on the left of the page is good. That way someone can simply look at the title and click on the project for updates.

Last edited by Slugbelch; Nov 17, 2006 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:46 AM
`

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikes
You have some serious ego problems, besides you are wrong in many things that you wrote.

- PR update comes every 3-4 month, noone knows the exact dates except for the insiders at Google
- Googlebot doesnt give a damn about meta tags, except for description

Ecetera.

Feel free to make a GOOD content site, if your only aim is to get on top of "my" site in google, that is pretty sad. You have interestingly changed your attitude, since we gave you permission for the photos.
Since when did Imre and AltinD become "we"?

What's with the hate and rivalry? Remember that quote Malec?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:51 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ Depends on what he wants exactly. For example, with business bay I doubt he'd look up every single tower but he might like to give some info on the main towers like burj al alam, dancing towers, etc. In that case each should have its own page so that it doesn't clutter up the page of the main project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugbelch
Yup I remember

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:52 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
...and listen to malec, he's a smart guy.
Studying Physics I believe, and somewhat of a musician too.....there's no end to his talents!

I hated Physics! Don't know why I chose it as an A' level subject either!

In fact I thought my Engineering Degree would be fun and full of arty drawing stuff, not 90% physics based!

If I look at a page from my thesis, I have no idea what the hell it means?

....something to do with a banana over the square root of a goldfish, divided by 3 naked virgins.....being inversely proportional to the sum of how many boiled eggs you can eat in one go, to the power of 69......or something or other!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 3:03 AM
`

^

Boy, now that's something I did not miss when I was in school. My main physics questions today have mainly to do with how much stuff I can move into my new house without dropping dead.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 3:09 AM
Guess Who's Back?

A compromise, I still think the Burj Dubai page is a little cluttered and a bit too long for one page.

The 'Megaprojects' will stay the same on the left hand side but I think an overview page with a brief description of the projects that's expandable into a dedicated page within, would keep your mouse batteries from running out from all that scrolling.

Snapshot and overview of all notable towers will be included but the site is really devoted to the actual megaprojects in the searchbar.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 3:12 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
^

Boy, now that's something I did not miss when I was in school. My main physics questions today have mainly to do with how much stuff I can move into my new house without dropping dead.
Stressfull! You stayin in Miami?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 3:45 AM
`

^ Actually, a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale, but it's all the same town now. Everything has grown together.

BTW, in regards to the threads going away here and losing pics, I think the BD thread in the highrise will stay in archive for a little while (about 3 more years). By then, (maybe next year) we can start to lobby Dylan to make a few construction projects a "sticky" in the Archive section. Especially after he gets the upgrade complete this year and then he can determine if it will be feasible.

Who knows, maybe he can keep a few threads around for a little while longer than 1 year. I think the WTB is a given.

Maybe TTC and SWFC too because, man, did I spend a lot of time hunting those down.

Speaking of hunting, keep your eye on flickr and the other tourist websites. They always show/describe parts of Dubai (old and new) that are not posted on both sites.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 4:01 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Thanks. There's a forumer called flickr who posts some good stuff on SSC too, always something different.

BTW. My Auntie lives in Sunrise, not far from you!

Last edited by Sky Tower; Nov 17, 2006 at 4:59 AM. Reason: original post didn't make any sense whatsoever.....I need sleep!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 12:04 PM
Dubai

Quote:
Since when did Imre and AltinD become "we"?

There is no hate from my side, i wasnt the one writing about "overtaking your site in google" either, about rivalry ask someone else. Imre became "we" more than a year ago. He takes photos for my site every friday, just because he uploads them on the forums doesnt mean anyone can use them. This is the main reason why we will have copyright logos on them. (he will still upload them to the forums of course, and wikipedia is always free to use any material).

If i can also ask a question, why didnt you ever answered any of my pm's?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
Dubai

The problem with FlickR photos that they are all copyrighted. Although it's possible to get permission, if you contact them.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 1:25 PM
Dubai

Btw, Slugbelch ,

Sky Tower and me agreed to cooperate, which means he includes my link on his site, and i will introduce his site on my site when he has enough content of the projects. This is not only a nice gesture, but to be again a bit technical, it also improves his and my site PR, especially that they are related content wise.

This means no rivalry rather cooperation.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:19 PM
`

Quote:
If i can also ask a question, why didnt you ever answered any of my pm's?
That's because you answered your own question previously in this thread. You said in this thread that you have enough BD pics for everyone to see and that's why there is no need for BD pics from ssp. Thats the reason that there are 0 pics on your site from ssp. so why are you pm'ing me for them, when you say that people are seeeing enough and no more are needed?
Quote:
Imre became "we" more than a year ago. He takes photos for my site every friday
More than a year? I started to see Imre updates on ssc May 27th of this year and regularly in July. If he supplied you with photo's every week for 8+ months prior, why didn't you post them on ssc? I think I only see 1 or 2 BDS.com pics on ssc that were posted by you.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 3:21 PM
Dubai

You have something against me, all your posts are negative towards me, if i did anything wrong to you i apologize.

1. The first PM i have sent to you was before i posted here that "there is an archive, and it wont make a difference who took the photos, every month has enough photos to give an impression i believe." message, which now you took out of the context. Twisting the meaning into "i dont need more photos".

2. Why are you so much interested in my relationship with Imre? I met him on the last day when he moved to Dubai, he told me then, that he is going to make updates for my site by taking photos. He started to take photos every friday a few month ago, but before that he used to do it, just not as regularly.

3. What is this "you have 0 photos from this site" message? First, this is not true. Second, are you happy with this?

4. "I think I only see 1 or 2 BDS.com pics on ssc that were posted by you."
Imre's email is very slow in UAE, so he first uploads the photos to a free image host, then he sends me the links and puts the photos to different forums.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 8:26 PM
Guess Who's Back?

I think Slugbelch is a bit pissed off, as are a few others, as he spends much of his spare time trawling sites to find really good pics for the forum.

If you read any of his posts, you will find that he never gets involved with forum politics or drawn into stupid conversations, that I for one sometimes have a hard time ignoring (I am quite opinionated but I'm trying not to be obnoctious all the time!)

Like my original surprise in thinking there was a conspiracy monopoly on photo's, as there is quite a 'clicky group' over at SSC, it can be concieved as detremental agendas to those unsuspecting others who don't understand the setup.

I'm sure that now that we all know what's what and all people are in the picture, there won't be any more issues that are now starting to clog this thread (partially my fault) with the things we all despise (but sometimes un-avoidable) in these forums.

Slugbelch always puts the photographer's name against each photo and so do I. If a picture is copyrighted then the photos can't physically be moved from the point of origin if it's done properly.

If they're there to be taken then we have no problems putting them on the forum with a name attatched.

It goes both ways, so anyone using pictures on a site should also provide a source, that both Slugbelch and I have unwittingly been subjected to as well.

Not that it's a problem, but when a problem is raised and highlighted, it's kinda one rule for one, and one for another, that can start to be annoying.

Although morally your probably right that we should get the permission of the photographers in these cases, but unfortunately this is the way of the web!

It's no different to recording the radio or copying a tape, loaning a friend a DVD or downloading songs.....all frowned upon and illegal but it's not policeable and everyone does it!

I think we're all here for the same reasons, so let's all just enjoy it!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 9:12 PM
`

Google is finding this out the hard way after they bought/acquired Youtube. Infringement lawsuits are flying.

Maybe start a separate forum at your site like Bikes did with his. It looks like his forum is separate from ssc. Maybe you could do the same thing to kind of "get around" copyrighted things? Plus people can participate easier.

Last edited by Slugbelch; Nov 17, 2006 at 9:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa