HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:02 PM

Thanks all, I had not thought of soundproofing the backs of pictures but good idea.

I was shown a unit right on the corner of I35 and Riverside and though very low muffle of road noise on the second level i could hear the cars, so that's likely the nosiest spot. I like that unit, it has a view of the city even basically looking over the freeway. There are other units too, I would just have to decide.

I have to sell my house in Leander so that's first then the renting of an apartment near downtown, I checked out Lakeshore Pearl, Southshore District, and AMLI Southshore. All seemed comparable though AMLI does not have granite counter tops. Any others like Bowie, or Skyhouse areas are too high rent for me.

I want to be very near the lake, so location is more important, I don't need a view, but its a nice bonus if I can find one.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
Thanks all, I had not thought of soundproofing the backs of pictures but good idea.

I was shown a unit right on the corner of I35 and Riverside and though very low muffle of road noise on the second level i could hear the cars, so that's likely the nosiest spot. I like that unit, it has a view of the city even basically looking over the freeway. There are other units too, I would just have to decide.

I have to sell my house in Leander so that's first then the renting of an apartment near downtown, I checked out Lakeshore Pearl, Southshore District, and AMLI Southshore. All seemed comparable though AMLI does not have granite counter tops. Any others like Bowie, or Skyhouse areas are too high rent for me.

I want to be very near the lake, so location is more important, I don't need a view, but its a nice bonus if I can find one.
You'd get used to the traffic to where it becomes white noise and helps you sleep.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
You'd get used to the traffic to where it becomes white noise and helps you sleep.
Agreed. My partner and I lived in the SE corner of the Milago, on 11th, floor, so just looking over the Windsor parking ramp at I-35. Our master bedroom was east-facing, and there was a murmur but it all blended together and was relaxing. There was occasional interruption with a semi air braking or emergency vehicles in the middle of the night, but I probably slept through more than I noticed.

Small price to pay for the South (river) facing views and location.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:43 PM

One thing I like about Riverveiw is that its concrete construction for the floors and metal wall joists and if not condo interiors then close to them as they were to be condos once. So not sure if they can change that or not. I just feel its better than the box apartments made of all wood with little to no soundproofing.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 9:50 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Seriously. It happens. UP's freight line runs a quarter mile from our house. Recently they posted a sign near the crossing that says "no train horn". So for the past couple of weeks none of the trains have sounded their horn. I actually miss that sound quite a bit. There's a new townhome project being built alongside the tracks facing Stassney, and I'm thinking someone must have pulled some strings to silence the trains. It's crazy, because there have been apartments existing on the other side of Stassney since at least the 80s that are as close as 40 feet from the tracks. Besides missing the sound, I'm worried it'll cause some problems there. There have been car/train collisions there, and a student (pedestrian) at Crockett was hit and killed 5 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Seriously. It happens. UP's freight line runs a quarter mile from our house. Recently they posted a sign near the crossing that says "no train horn". So for the past couple of weeks none of the trains have sounded their horn. I actually miss that sound quite a bit. There's a new townhome project being built alongside the tracks facing Stassney, and I'm thinking someone must have pulled some strings to silence the trains. It's crazy, because there have been apartments existing on the other side of Stassney since at least the 80s that are as close as 40 feet from the tracks. Besides missing the sound, I'm worried it'll cause some problems there. There have been car/train collisions there, and a student (pedestrian) at Crockett was hit and killed 5 years ago.
I thought that street crossings had to upgraded with full drop down street barriers in order for a train to be allowed to pass without sounding the horn. Maybe they upgraded the crossings near your house?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
In Leander where I am now a crossing at Hero Way and 183 just lost its No Train Horn status. It seems that when the road was improved they had not added one gate. even though the missing gate is on the back side of the crossing (wrong way if driving) the RR people said the train has to blow the horn now until the crossing is upgraded to four gates. The residents in an old hood are not happy to suddenly now hear the commuter train so many times now. So I would think the crossing your talking about has been upgraded.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 11:33 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I thought that street crossings had to upgraded with full drop down street barriers in order for a train to be allowed to pass without sounding the horn. Maybe they upgraded the crossings near your house?
Sometime ago they added two more arms. So there are 4 arms that come down.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 11:40 PM
Honored Member

This is some epic thread drift.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin