HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Ritz-Carlton Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 8:19 PM

I can't beleive they are tearing down the whole building, then rebuilding it as a parking garage. If that is the city's idea of preservation other burnham era buildings should be trembling.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:03 AM

^ This has been debated here ad nauseum.

Sometimes it is the least bad of available realistic choices. That may or may not apply to this project, but at a minimum the entire facade will be the original facade, so it's not like it's Disneyland, designed and built decades after the fact.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:07 AM

And then there's the crown art...

http://www.theresidenceschicago.com/...lass_Image.jpg

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 1:18 PM
dream fast

8-23

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 2:37 PM

And in fairness, this one is less offensive vis-a-vis it's magnitude and nature of historicism. One could defensibly argue that this is more of a "true" post-modern Echo Deco in the general vein of Smith's NBC Tower (not as good, but at least worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence)... in stark contrast to the outright occular assault and battery that LaGrange committed with 10ED, Elysian, and the Pinnacle.

The design itself isn't atrocious. The biggest concerns are with 1) the location, right on the Mag Mile, and right on the site of a former landmarked building, and 2) the possibility/likelihood of any worthwhile detail being VE'd out.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:04 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about this building yet. . . although I think my sentiments here follow those that found the positive aspects to the building, I wouldn't claim this to be LaGrange's best work. . . probably have to defer to the Kinzie/Erie buildings. . . this one does interest me though and I don't think it will detract from Michigan Avenue's glitzy nature. . .

. . .

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:15 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

It'll partially block the view from the South of City Place, which is probably a good thing.

-----

Hopefully, this building will be the last of the beige boys. End Of Beige?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:17 PM

I'm amazed how everyone has really changed there minds since the first page of this thread.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:22 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Maybe they're just relieved that it doesn't have a mansard.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:36 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah I think it has a lot to do with the sinking feeling resulting from the disgusting final product of Elysian. Its looking like they are going to do less and less to make that a worthwhile building every day.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 5:01 PM

I actually like the renderings. The top is pretty cool, and the base appears to be inviting.
I wish the buyers of the units and the city itself could hold the developers to be true to the renderings. Fingers crossed that this isnt a bait-and-switch, I think this is going to be better than many of its neighbors.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 8:49 PM
THAT Guy

Installation of lovely precast panels is set to begin next month

Source: Ritz Residences blog

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 9:20 PM

Looks like it's gonna hurt...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 6:09 AM
TL;DR

Looks fine to me. I'm waiting on the color of the windowframes... although I wish those spandrels were metal instead of precast.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 6:42 AM
BANNED

Well at least they are pretty detail heavy. Much better than Elysian where there were only groves to make it seem like stone pieces. There are may completely ornamental aspects to those panels. Pretty good for Precast.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 1:20 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Anyone know where these are being cast?

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Well the original building goes from Classical to Art Deco styles. The extension goes from Art Deco to International Style. So really this is quite a clever and contextual design. Perhaps, the best Lagrange yet. Since it is an evolution and extension of the existing building it also expresses it's evolution of styles in its design. I like it.
I call it Necco Deco.

Last edited by wrab; Sep 5, 2010 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 1:30 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I dunno, Nowhereman. The bevels and the runner up the middle will help increase the vertical, and the green panels do give a bit of a deco vibe. I dont know if its that much of a bonus, especially since most of the building doesn't have those vertical elements. What scares me though are the colors. Daisy and fake copper? I fear another Echelon.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 6:38 PM
BANNED

^^^ I agree that it could completely suck, but at least they are trying to do something beyond "flat beige box" with this design. I mean the very fact that the whole building isn't just going to be beige is a victory even if the green ends up aging poorly and looking dated in 10 years. At least there will be some detailing instead of just fake block groves. And actually the vertical elements are a huge part of this design, besides the farwell building at the base, the entire length of the building is united by vertical groves and green stripes. This might actually mimic the massing and feel of deco decently enough that it won't look horrendous. Then again it could end up having white window frames and looking like a piece of shit. If built exactly as shown in the picture on the other page I would say it will be a close second to the Echo Decco NBC tower in accurately mocking a historical style.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 8:28 PM

How is the precast going to match against the old facade of the farwell building? Is it meant to differ in color, or are they trying to go for an exact match?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 10:04 AM
Winter wonderlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Going to be staying in Allerton when I come to Chicago in 19th. Quite a view for skyscraper junkie like me, if only I get a good room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive