HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:18 AM

Well I can tell you first hand about one detail. I moved into a new building in NW and it took a month and a half longer than predicted because of the elevator installation and inspection team. Apparently there is a small number of people who do this and the boom made it difficult to get done in a timely manner.

Maybe the same happening all over town.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 7:14 PM

I have read several places that after the crash a lot of people left the construction industry and have not returned. Now that we're building again there just aren't the people.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 7:51 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

The crane is coming down this weekend. That's interesting since I still see a lot of exterior work that needs to be done, such as the chunks of the siding missing between every third floor & various other places. Actually, it looks like there's still a lot to do... but according to a notice I got this morning, they have a noise variance permit for 9/23 through 9/25 to dismantle the crane. Interesting!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 9:27 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 9:33 PM

Thanks for the pictures - taken FOREVER to build this one

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 9:12 PM

Construction on Sky3 expected to wrap up this month, according to tweet by DJC reporter Garrett Andrews.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:40 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Construction on Sky3 expected to wrap up this month, according to tweet by DJC reporter Garrett Andrews.
Interesting timing.

Did anybody else hear the explosion in that building last night? It happened around 7:30, I think, and it was one heck of a big boom. There were firetrucks blocking Jefferson for around an hour.

I was wondering what happened and if it would slow down the progress of construction.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 9:50 PM

It was an illegal firework thrown at the building. Only minor damage to an exterior canopy.
https://twitter.com/cbensonPDX/statu...43765257105408

Last edited by Rob Nob; Mar 3, 2017 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:11 AM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 6:09 AM

A building permit was issued last week for a tenant improvement at a portion of the ground floor retail in Sky3. The tenant will be Amazon Campus @ Portland State:

Quote:
TI for first time tenant at ground floor create mercantile and storage space for the amazon store. Tenant to occupy retail spaces 2 and 3. Change occupancy of retail space 3 from M to S.
I hadn't heard of Amazon Campus before, but apparently the first store opened at Purdue two years ago.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:38 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Amazingly, this building is still not done. There's been a crew working on the west side of the building for over a month. In the photos Mac posted above, you can see they were at the SW corner of the building on May 14th. It's over a month later and they've progressed to the middle of the west side of the building.

The crane came down nine months ago. There are people living in the building now, but I can't help wondering when it'll actually be done. Coava coffee roasters say they plan on opening a shop in Sky3 in August, so maybe the building will be truly done by then? Who knows.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Coava coffee roasters say they plan on opening a shop in Sky3 in August, so maybe the building will be truly done by then? Who knows.
Well that's good news for that area. Coava is hands down one of our finest roasters.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 12:04 PM

If the extra time invested means that the building holds up better than most new construction apartments are holding up these days, I will say it was time well spent.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 6:02 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
If the extra time invested means that the building holds up better than most new construction apartments are holding up these days, I will say it was time well spent.
I have a feeling it'll be proof of the opposite. I don't think they're taking extra time to complete it by choice. I think they didn't have enough people working on it to get it done on time. Here's an example of how much progress has dragged: Coava was supposed to start working on building their space in February. February, 2016.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 6:36 AM

Quote:
One-day pick-up Amazon location opens in Portland

PORTLAND, Ore. — If you're a Prime customer with Amazon, life just got even easier.

Amazon has installed "Amazon@DowntownPortland," a fully staffed pick-up location near PSU at SW 11th Avenue and Jefferson.

You can pick up and return Amazon orders there, as well as receive free one-day pick-up on millions of items (for Prime and Prime Student members only) -- just place your order by 3 p.m. and pick it up the next day.

The location is the first of its kind in the Pacific Northwest.
...via KATU.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 8:56 PM

Had to drop off a return at Amazon so took a couple pics of the finished building.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 10:11 PM
Registered Ugly

I used to live a couple blocks from this...it took a long time to complete, but I think it's a handsome building.

I wish I would've had a Coava around when I lived there. Goose Hollow and the West End are going to be unrecognizable in 20 years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 11:57 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I think it's ok. The ground story (two, actually) is kind of nice, which is good for the neighborhood, but the tower itself looks kind of cheap to me and that's a shame. I haven't been inside the apartments, but from the pics I've seen it looks like they're nice, though again, some aspects were done on the cheap. Instead of having central heat & air, the units just have those window heater/ac units. I'd have expected better for what they're charging. Ah well.

I think they finally leased all of their retail. Coava Coffee has been open for a while, along with an Amazon store, and a Lebanese deli just opened, I think? I haven't been in there yet (the spot on the corner of 11th & Jefferson). It's great to see everything full.

That Amazon store is fantastic! It's mostly automated, though the staff is really friendly. If you've never used them before, the setup is slick. When your package arrives, you get an email with a link to a barcode. Hold your smartphone (with the barcode showing) under their scanner, and the locker with your package pops open.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland