HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:06 PM
An Optimistic Realist

So,topping out will be postponed to May or sometime this summer?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:12 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ You mean topped out by roof? Because technically speaking, since the spire is an architectural element of the tower, topping out means when the spire is put up. By roof I would say summer, at the earliest. It will take some time to get a new erector on track, if DCM goes out of business.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^^ You mean topped out by roof? Because technically speaking, since the spire is an architectural element of the tower, topping out means when the spire is put up. By roof I would say summer, at the earliest. It will take some time to get a new erector on track, if DCM goes out of business.
If it does go out of business, why would it take so long to get new cranes hired and set up?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:43 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
If it does go out of business, why would it take so long to get new cranes hired and set up?
Well, they would use the same cranes. But it's the PA we are talking about here, so you can multiply every delay by 10. Bureaucracy, corruption, incompetence, slowness and political shitstorm - all terms that the PA's got written all over it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Well, they would use the same cranes. But it's the PA we are talking about here, so you can multiply every delay by 10. Bureaucracy, corruption, incompetence, slowness and political shitstorm - all terms that the PA's got written all over it.
It's too bad.. Everything has been going great until this point.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:52 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Just curious, I'm sorry everyone for my questions but I'm not very good with the construction steps, but what is decking, splices etc?
Here is what I wrote for decking in the One57 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Metal deck is basically corrugated steel, and it looks like this:

http://www.allendorferroofing.com/services.htm

It serves two functions. When concrete for the floor slab is being poured, the deck serves as formwork on the bottom, allowing the concrete to take its shape as it cures (there will also be traditional wooden formwork around the floor slab edges to hold in the concrete on the sides). If you were to build a proper reinforced concrete floor slab, you would have to install the temporary formwork all along the bottom of the slab, and take it all off when the concrete has cured to the point that it can support its own weight. That's a lot of labor and temporary formwork to deal with. It's better to simply incorporate the bottom formwork into the final floor slab itself.

When the concrete has "finished" curing*, the deck serves as reinforcement for the concrete to provide tensile strength at the bottom of the slab (the most important area in floor-slab tensile design). That's why although metal deck reinforcement isn't ideal (engineering design-wise), it's good enough for the main task at hand: providing bottom reinforcement for floor slabs.

If you want to see the metal deck in person, just go to any office building that's under construction. It's almost guaranteed that it will have metal deck floor slabs. And if you are able to see the bottom of a completed floor slab, you will see the metal deck throughout the floor slab (it may be covered in fireproofing).

* I use the quotations here because concrete never really finishes curing, not even after decades. However, it reaches the vast majority of its final strength after a few years. So the fact that concrete never truly finishes curing is a moot point.

EDIT: I see that scalziand provided a much simpler and shorter explanation.
Here is an explanation from Tata Steel Construction of column splicing:

http://www.tatasteelconstruction.com...column_splice/

The overall Tata Steel Teaching Resources section is a good reference for learning about steel construction.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:11 PM

lower manhattan; 1/14/2012 by kevin scott koepke photography, on Flickr

Please do not repost, copy, or otherwise reproduce this image. Thank you.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Here is what I wrote for decking in the One57 thread:

Here is an explanation from Tata Steel Construction of column splicing:

http://www.tatasteelconstruction.com...column_splice/

The overall Tata Steel Teaching Resources section is a good reference for learning about steel construction.
Thanks

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 11:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
The point is people have waited a long time so they want something finished there with no further delays, plain and simple. I have a right to my own opinion as do other people on this forum
Since people have waited a long time, waiting a little longer won't hurt anything. It also doesn't help to keep repeating the same statements and questions over. The building is under construction, that is all anyone needs to know really. When it tops out, it tops out. When the Port Authority says construction has stopped, then you can worry about it's completion. Until then, everything else is just spamming this thread. It's tiresome and doesn't make the building rise any faster.

paulmetaxas

Mitch Waxman

Juan_Carlos_Cruz

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Since people have waited a long time, waiting a little longer won't hurt anything. It also doesn't help to keep repeating the same statements and questions over. The building is under construction, that is all anyone needs to know really. When it tops out, it tops out. When the Port Authority says construction has stopped, then you can worry about it's completion. Until then, everything else is just spamming this thread. It's tiresome and doesn't make the building rise any faster.
Well it's not like we have a choice but to wait do we? I don't think there is anything wrong with stating the obvious that steel on the Tower hasn't risen in about a month and a half. This a forum where people can express their views whether they are positive or negative. If people want to say progress is slow then they can. It's just basic observation. It's clear you don't like it so don't give into it then, ignore it. As for the construction of the Tower, you can't sit there and act like everything is fine and progress is going fast because that is a lie. It's obvious the Tower will finish I mean they came this far already, but there is another delay so who knows when we'll see steel again. Some people just cannot be patient and that's understandable.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 12:21 AM

That's fine for discussion threads, in other subforums. But this is a construction thread. Why can't people figure this out?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 5:13 AM
Khurram Parvaz

This is not just a construction thread. This is a PROJECT thread also, and it's located in the PROJECTS & CONSTRUCTION section. What's the project name. GUESS anyone. OM and even a G. 1 World Trade Center. It took me less than a second to figure that out. Now what's the problem. We can't talk about the progress about the PROJECT. What's the project name. I am in the right thread am I. 1 World Trade Center. So stop acting like you can straighten things out and stop being a kiss ass. People have the right to have their opinion. No body was OFF TOPIC (another thing that pisses me off and is a load of CRAP). So what's going on. I I know what's going on. It's people talking straight out of their ASS for the sake of talking out of their ASS, because you have nothing better to do. SO simple STFU. To be specific the person before me and NYguy. Watch this post get deleted, for setting things straight.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:34 AM

What ever it is that is going on, can anybody give an official, valid answer? Is there any truth to any of these rumours? Has construction really come to a halt? If so, or if not, please confirm or deny? Anybody that is a reliable source. I know that with the floors close to the top, being mechanical floors, that it will take more time to complete, and it will be a slower process. I just hope to hell that it is not an indefinite delay, due to politics or bureaucratic bullshit. If it is slowed because of the complexity of the mechanical floors, that's all right. That is, if that is due to the details of the job, and if that was to be expected. There are just so many rumours and hearsay bandied around here, so can somebody give credible answer?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
This is not just a construction thread. This is a PROJECT thread also, and it's located in the PROJECTS & CONSTRUCTION section. What's the project name. GUESS anyone. OM and even a G. 1 World Trade Center. It took me less than a second to figure that out. Now what's the problem. We can't talk about the progress about the PROJECT. What's the project name. I am in the right thread am I. 1 World Trade Center. So stop acting like you can straighten things out and stop being a kiss ass. People have the right to have their opinion. No body was OFF TOPIC (another thing that pisses me off and is a load of CRAP). So what's going on. I I know what's going on. It's people talking straight out of their ASS for the sake of talking out of their ASS, because you have nothing better to do. SO simple STFU. To be specific the person before me and NYguy. Watch this post get deleted, for setting things straight.
Look dude, you can do all the semantic gymnastics you want. Clearly you have an understanding on how moderating works around here. So you can either shut up and play by the de facto rules or you can run this thread even further into the ground with your big, useless whinefest.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 1:54 PM

I'm fine with seeing posts about how construction appears to have stopped, and no new steel has gone up in a while. As someone who doesn't live in New York, I'm still very interested in this project and keeping up to date with what is and isn't happening.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:01 PM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:18 PM
DENNAB

That's a real bummer about the stopped construction, hopefully it starts again soon.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:28 PM

I,most times find this thread fairly interesting and informative in some ways,yet at the same time i find it,at times,repetitive,and as such boring. The same redundant questions of height of steel,glass,when are they going to start glassing over the base and topping out dates are getting to the point where you're beating a dead horse. That said,i,d like to make a proposal to the moderator/s: Perhaps we could nominate one person in the know to give weekly updates,perhaps on Fridays in reference to all those questions,this way they don't have to be read every day,in every post. If i were a mod,the first person i would consider asking would be Carlos,V. He seems to live close by and also seems to know whats going on down there.........yet that would be up to him and obviously the moderators. He/they could post all their pictures showing progress for that particular week,as well. Another thing that helps to avoid is the constant reposting of said pictures when you use a quote. Theres nothing more boring than seeing some great pics and then seeing them a dozen more times when people use the "quote function."

Another thing i've noticed is that the term "stay on topic" has been used to the point that the thread has become,for lack of a better term "robotic",so to speak. Sometimes one feels like one of the Borg.....you're assimilated into the collective,no free thought allowed. For instance: Last week i made a post and then posted again saying "go big blue". Needless to say,it was deleted. Sure it wasn't on topic,yet it was harmless and stuff like that adds a sort of personal touch to the thread. I mean all we are to each other really are just anonymous people. It would be nice to be able to get to know a little bit about each other by what we post......that post,for instance,let you know i'm a Giants fan,so now you know a little bit of something about me. Letting people say a little something that veers a bit off topic would breathe new life into the thread,providing say that it doesn't turn into page after page of Empire State Building discussion. I hope you all are following me here,as i,m wording this as best i can. I usually try to listen to both sides of an argument before i make a decision and then try to find an amicable solution to things that makes everyone happy.

Anyhow,as i mentioned a few posts back,1WTC WILL get finished,thats for certain. Tischman isn't just gonna pack up their toys and go home. Patience is the key really. As we like to say in the Biz: " No matter what happens,everything always seems to get built." Have a nice day people and as always:............GO BLUE

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:32 PM
Bionic Boogie

Oh what a beautiful morning! Oh what a beautiful sight!

just woke up to this!!! 16 degrees outside and ...... LET'S GO BLUE!!!

DSC_5077 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:37 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Look dude, you can do all the semantic gymnastics you want. Clearly you have an understanding on how moderating works around here. So you can either shut up and play by the de facto rules or you can run this thread even further into the ground with your big, useless whinefest.
Where are these rules written that you speak of (Quran, Bible, Torah huh). Why should we follow them, are they written in a holy book. No matter what anyone (including you) says, everyone will agree with me, OFFTOPIC is BS. Ask (06hdfxdwg) above. He just like everyone else on this forum except NyGuy and his kissass (you), seem to be robots is seems. Why is everyone so DAMN bored and complaining, let me tell you why. Because we hhhhaaaavvvvvveeee to be ONTOPIC, and are forced to talk or atleast write like robots on this forum. That's why it's so fucking boring and repetitive on this forum. If I'm running this thread to the ground, then it seems everyone else whos name isn't you or NyGuy seems to be doing it too. Watch this one get deleted for telling it like it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive