HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 8:25 PM

12th & Market | 144'-4" | 14 floors | Complete

-------------------------

Original Post:

SERA Architects have submitted a project at 1133 SW Market St for Design Review:

Quote:
Construct 14-story apartment building with 146 market rte units. Mechanical parrking for 21 parking stalls is located on the ground floor.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Dec 10, 2016 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 12:36 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
SERA Architects have submitted a project at 1133 SW Market St for Design Review:
The link shows a 10-story building with 114 units and no off-street parking. So that's been changed?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 2:32 AM

Yes, that link is to the project as it was presented to the Design Commission by the same architecture firm, early last year.

Seeing as this same issue came up last week: when a project is submitted for Design Review the drawings are not immediately available to view. So if I provide a link it's just for background information. I have no better idea than anyone else what design changes might have occurred in the interim.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Yes, that link is to the project as it was presented to the Design Commission by the same architecture firm, early last year.

Seeing as this same issue came up last week: when a project is submitted for Design Review the drawings are not immediately available to view. So if I provide a link it's just for background information. I have no better idea than anyone else what design changes might have occurred in the interim.
I think we can all be thankful that anything built will not look worse than that rendering. take note, Skylab.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 1:40 AM

Quote:
I think we can all be thankful that anything built will not look worse than that rendering. take note, Skylab.
No kidding! I wonder who at Sera gets to take part in the credit for that, uh, concept...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 9:10 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 7:07 AM

Three new, quarter block buildings on one block. So cool. Glad they're reaching for some height too. A very dynamic city block at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 7:55 PM

Design Review Drawings [PDF - 26MB].

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 10:39 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I like it. I might like it a lot, though I wish they'd show the building from all sides. I hope the blank stucco wall doesn't end up looking bad.

I can't help noticing they've labelled a few studios as being "1 bedroom loft" units. C'mon now. They're studios - potentially very nice studios, but studios nonetheless.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 12:30 AM

It looks like generic Sera architecture to me. Bland and lacking in character. Take away the eaves and it might pop up into "acceptable" territory for me.

Otherwise, [turns away]...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I can't help noticing they've labelled a few studios as being "1 bedroom loft" units. C'mon now. They're studios - potentially very nice studios, but studios nonetheless.
Unfortunately that seems to be common practice now.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:20 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this project is not in an Historic District. Why then is Sera voluntarily designing such pastiche? I could understand it if they had to get HLC approval, but ....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:10 PM

Staff Report [PDF] which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:50 AM

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 12:58 PM
A before E

Meh....it does look good as infill for that area. Good to see that part of downtown becoming more dense.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:21 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

SERA Architects, ushering in a new era of post-neoclassical in Portland.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltJ View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this project is not in an Historic District. Why then is Sera voluntarily designing such pastiche? I could understand it if they had to get HLC approval, but ....
I'm guessing the the owner/client?

They have a critically significant say, obviously. Color, massing, material, window type, size, color.... If they don't want it, you are not doing it.

This is not to excuse underwhelming design in general, but budget drives the bus SO much on these bank/investor financed building ventures. So does private equity 'opinion'.

We all sometimes forget to include this little potent reality pill our thought processes: The architect can suggest design ideas until they are blue in the face (I've done it). But, at the end of the day they do what their client pays them to, and is willing to pay for, in construction.

Makes what boutique firms do even more impressive in some ways. They cultivate relationships with the RIGHT clients to do that kind of work. Not an easy road.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
I'm guessing the the owner/client?

They have a critically significant say, obviously. Color, massing, material, window type, size, color.... If they don't want it, you are not doing it.

This is not to excuse underwhelming design in general, but budget drives the bus SO much on these bank/investor financed building ventures. So does private equity 'opinion'.

We all sometimes forget to include this little potent reality pill our thought processes: The architect can suggest design ideas until they are blue in the face (I've done it). But, at the end of the day they do what their client pays them to, and is willing to pay for, in construction.

Makes what boutique firms do even more impressive in some ways. They cultivate relationships with the RIGHT clients to do that kind of work. Not an easy road.
My personal experience with the developers I've worked with (I am a designer) is that they look to the architect to establish the design direction. Of course, the project needs to be within the budget and meet the pro forma. Perhaps I am lucky that I have not had a developer tell me to design a neoclassical building.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 11:59 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
My personal experience with the developers I've worked with (I am a designer) is that they look to the architect to establish the design direction. Of course, the project needs to be within the budget and meet the pro forma. Perhaps I am lucky that I have not had a developer tell me to design a neoclassical building.
I suspect it is somewhat unique to the commodification of buildings, particularly when a client is a large investment company that builds thousands of units across the country.

They likely assume that whatever design style worked in the Chicago Market (or wherever) will do the same everywhere at X price point. And the real estate team probably gets comfortable with having their local architect do a particular style because its a known. Ie, materials pricing, detailing, etc are all something they have experience with.

SERA architects in particular have experience with designing in relation to historic buildings, so its really no surprise they are continuing their design based off of a historic design style (mishmash that it is).

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 5:59 AM

Quote:
My experience with developers is that it totally depends. Some want you to establish design direction and others will come in and tell you that they want very specific materials, systems, colors, aesthetics... for all the reasons you'd expect. First cost, maintenance concerns, target market, market studies, personal preference, resale value, you name it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland